• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maybe Levante for 2020, guidebook?

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
Is it still The Way of St. James from Valencia to Santiago GR 239. With case maps (last copies) (in English) from Asociación Amigos del Camino de Santiago de la Comunidad Valenciana, that is the best (only) guide available?

I'm aiming for a September/October Camino but if I get get my consultant assignment done I might be able to do a May/June camino instead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is also an OUTDOOR guidebook in German that seemed ok to me when I thought about going there some years ago. I think these yellow guidebooks are updated every year. When I walked VdlP I learned that this guide was much better than the two I brought, and since then I have bought a lot of them in case of ....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The English version of the association's guide is very out of date. As others have said, they have moved everything over to the web, but it is in Spanish. It is amazingly complete, a great resource with historical and cultural information, and for the basic info like accommodation, no translation is needed. I have always wished I spoke German, though, because there seem to be guides for every remote camino you can think of. And competition -- I've heard lots of debates about the relative merits of the Yellow guides and the Red guides.

I think you will love this camino, Beatrice. Lots of castles and wide open spaces, and a few great mountain stages thrown in for good measure! Those first few days on asphalt are tedious, though. Buen camino, Laurie

In 2019, I used a french guide "Le Chemin du Levant et le Camino Sanabrès" written by Gérard du Camino : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2952870667/
Some minor mistakes but useful for accommodation. The lengths of stages are not correct (often less than reality !).
See also the website of Pierre Swallus for Valencia-Zamora : http://www.verscompostelle.be/cocomlev.htm
For having an idea, go to my youtube channel : he.panpub
for Levante way :
for Sanabrès way :

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The English version of the association's guide is very out of date. As others have said, they have moved everything over to the web, but it is in Spanish. It is amazingly complete, a great resource with historical and cultural information, and for the basic info like accommodation, no translation is needed. I have always wished I spoke German, though, because there seem to be guides for every remote camino you can think of. And competition -- I've heard lots of debates about the relative merits of the Yellow guides and the Red guides.

I think you will love this camino, Beatrice. Lots of castles and wide open spaces, and a few great mountain stages thrown in for good measure! Those first few days on asphalt are tedious, though. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks. Sad to hear that they have moved it to the web. As I prefer on paper to write notes etc. I'm using digital tools at work all day and at the camino I want to be more analog.

In 2019, I used a french guide "Le Chemin du Levant et le Camino Sanabrès" written by Gérard du Camino : https://www.amazon.fr/chemin-Levant-Camino-Sanabria-Valencia/dp/2952870667/ref=sr_1_7?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=gérard+du+camino&qid=1581435157&sr=8-7
Some minor mistakes but useful for accommodation. The lengths of stages are not correct (often less than reality !).
See also the website of Pierre Swallus for Valencia-Zamora : http://www.verscompostelle.be/cocomlev.htm
for Levante way :
for Sanabrès way :
Thanks will have a look at the guide and web site you mention. I don't understand a word in French though but I manage Spanish quite well. Will not look at the videos now as I prefer to have my first impression my self.

I haven’t walked yet (leaving after Easter), but I’ve based my planning on the guide that is available on the Amigos’ website.
I have looked there but I really prefer a guide book that I can use without phone, computer and that allows me to add notes etc. Don't have to be stressed out when the phone can't be charged or as on my last camino, died for 3 days if not connected to an outlet. I can alway just take some of the info and add to a word document and print as a book myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@BeatriceKarjalainen I have done EXACTLY that for the Very Same Reasons. If you like I can send you my document - it's 32 pages of the walking instructions and condensed elevations. I also have a spreadsheet with the cheap accommodations, supermarket locations and my proposed staging (slower than yours I expect, but I include all places) That runs to another nine pages but could be shortened considerably by removing the notes from the likes of Laurie, BadPilgrim and KinkyOne (sssh don't tell them I said that)

page 1:1581470945253.png

Here's the first page of my spreadsheet - not sure how useful it would be to you
notes in brown are copied directly from the forum - you can see they take a lot of space!
and I have a column to record my actual walk, and number of days walked (because when I was planning I wanted to make sure I walked at least 50 days - one for each year) - that could all go too.1581471098046.png

Hi, i copied your notes from the VDP this year ( I start next month) and was already considering doing the Levante next year, so if you could send me your notes and accomodation spread sheet I would be really grateful.

Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2019, I used a french guide "Le Chemin du Levant et le Camino Sanabrès" written by Gérard du Camino : https://www.amazon.fr/chemin-Levant-Camino-Sanabria-Valencia/dp/2952870667/ref=sr_1_7?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=gérard+du+camino&qid=1581435157&sr=8-7
for Levante way :
for Sanabrès way :
Same one ive used several times updates on his website

eral times..updates available on his wrbsite

If you like I can send you my document - it's 32 pages of the walking instructions and condensed elevations. I also have a spreadsheet with the cheap accommodations, supermarket locations and my proposed staging (slower than yours I expect, but I include all places)

Hi Rachael @Kiwi-family,

could you do me a biiig fafour and send me your document, please?

Would be so nice.

Thank you so much in advance.

DonCamino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am seriously considering walking the Levante this fall, in part because it seems to be a largely level route, so easier for the knee that is currently waiting for knee replacement surgery. As I have previously walked the VdlP, I might finish this year's walk in Zamora, or stop there and bus onward to closer to Santiago, depending on the state of my cranky joint and the closeness to my return flight. I have a couple of questions about the route. Is it practical for someone with a cranky joint to walk? What about bus service, if required? There has been some emphasis on threads about the Levante on a preference for walking in the spring. Is there any reason why an October/November camino is not desirable? What about walking shorter days (20-25 kms)? I would appreciate a copy of any text made to assist pilgrims in walking this route, as I do not find the online guide to be ideal.
I am in Mexico now, away from the icy Canadian winter and working at getting in shape to walk a camino. Buen camino to all of you looking forward to walking the Levante in the next few months.

Many, many thanks, already printed it out for next years camino, can I be cheeky and ask if you could you send me the accomodation spread sheet too.

Thanks, Mark

Hello again, Rachael (@Kiwi-family),

muchismas gracias, thank you so much, mille grazie, danke schön!

This will help a lot for my Camino 2020, starting around April, 25.

DonCamino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
would someone be able to confirm whether this is in fact legal?

@Kiwi-family
Simply said:
It´s legal if it is completly your work and no one else has rights on it.
If not (even in parts), you might offend copyright laws.
Except it is published under a so called Public Source License (such as GPL or CreativeCommons). Then a link to this license has to be published together with the work.

¡Ultreia!

Hello again, Rachael (@Kiwi-family),

muchismas gracias, thank you so much, mille grazie, danke schön!

This will help a lot for my Camino 2020, starting around April, 25.

DonCamino
Might see you on the road. I arrive in Spain on 21 April and have a couple of days in Valencia before making a slow start.

@BeatriceKarjalainen I have done EXACTLY that for the Very Same Reasons. If you like I can send you my document - it's 32 pages of the walking instructions and condensed elevations. I also have a spreadsheet with the cheap accommodations, supermarket locations and my proposed staging (slower than yours I expect, but I include all places) That runs to another nine pages but could be shortened considerably by removing the notes from the likes of Laurie, BadPilgrim and KinkyOne (sssh don't tell them I said that)

page 1:View attachment 69567
That would be lovely! beatrice.karjalainen@gmail.com Notes from the peers is always a bless to have.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Kiwi-family,

might it be possible to send me your spreadsheet too?

Thx a lot
DonCamino

Hi @Kiwi-family,

might it be possible to send me your spreadsheet too? or be
tter yet, post it here like your walking instruction. I suspect there are other pilgrims like me that are planning to walk the Levante some time!
Thanks very much. Buen Camino!

Here's a PDF of my spreadsheet (including all the details that are useful to me but probably not you!) and the elevations and also the walking directions for the Invierno. Please note I tend to only include cheap accommodation options but there are many more. Feel free to use as you wish.
A PDF of walking directions for the Levante is further up in this thread. I'm in the process of checking with the Amigos if they are OK about it being here.

@Simon Shum - @DonCamino - @Albertagirl - @BeatriceKarjalainen - @mark camilli

Attachments

• Valencia to Muxia.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
That's so sweet of you @Rachael @Kiwi-family . I hope to meet you on the way to buy you the best red wine!
🙏 You're already the angel of my camino 2020.

Bon Camino4U
DonCamino

many , many thanks - I am due you a dram.

Mark

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Muchas muchas gracias! hope to see some of you in the camino in April/May, and I will also be able to use that for the Invierno and Muxia portions in Sept/Oct when we are walking the Olvidado and Invierno and Muxia!
Buen Camino!

Here's a PDF of my spreadsheet (including all the details that are useful to me but probably not you!) and the elevations and also the walking directions for the Invierno. Please note I tend to only include cheap accommodation options but there are many more. Feel free to use as you wish.
A PDF of walking directions for the Levante is further up in this thread. I'm in the process of checking with the Amigos if they are OK about it being here.

@Simon Shum - @DonCamino - @Albertagirl - @BeatriceKarjalainen - @mark camilli

Hi Rachel
I’m in Toledo now and doing the quick back-flip on my proposed walk of partial via Francigena in Italy at this time.
I have been surfing all possibilities of things to to here in spain instead. Voila! I find your post here and I think ‘.. wow .. I am very grateful to find your translation and your spreadsheet.. I believe the section ‘Toledo to Zamora’ will suit me quite well.
once again I’m using your work !! another camino angel ....

Thankyou
Annie

Hello Kiwi Family!
I would love to have copy of you Camino Levante Guide!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Kiwi-family
Me too, please? Could you send it in a Conversation?
Mary Louise omegle
I also have a spreadsheet with the cheap accommodations, supermarket locations and my proposed staging slower than yours I expect, but I include all places That runs to another nine pages but could be shortened considerably by removing the notes from the likes of Laurie .

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I am currently hoping to go in the early spring. But there are issues which are out of my control at present. If you want to post this in this thread or in Resources, others who are hoping to walk the Levante would be glad to use it. There were a number of others interested who were present on @peregrina2000 's Zoom for walking the Levante who would be glad to see your notes.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back