• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Me and my mole.

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
It was muddy as I walked through the dark shade of the tree lined track. I knew that the soles of my boots were very worn (actually smooth in parts, especially the heels). So I should have been more careful, but I wasn't. Suddenly my feet went from under me and I landed heavily, half on my back. Actually I had met an old farmer less than 15 minutes before, who when he realised I was walking alone had asked what would happen if I fell. I had glibly answered by looking up and pointing to the sky and saying that was up to him not me, so I guess I had tempted fate. Still as I was struggling to roll onto one side to get up I cam face to face with a dead mole. I had cut my knee, but not seriously. as I walked away all I could think about was the poor dead mole and felt so sad for him and grateful that I had not fell on him and squashed him as if that made any difference to him! As I had been bitten by a dog the day before I was now starting to wonder what fate had in store next!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a fascinating story. I find it extraordinary that a farmer one day would ask what would happen if you fell, and the next day that actually happened! And the significance of the mole? For me there are deeper things at play here other than what merely happened. And your getting bitten by a dog? You are having an eventful Camino!

Bill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was 15 minutes later Bill. I'm going back to ask him for some eurolottery numbers! Yes it was becoming somewhat eventful at that stage so I postpomed the rest of the walk for another day. That is the advantage of living in nearby England. Those of you who live much further afield have my sympathy.

Back