Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mead (aguamiel) on the Primitivo

Flig

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Sept 2021
Does anyone have any experience with, or even finding, mead on the Primitivo?

Ever the optimist, I am beginning planning for a 2021 camino. The primitivo appeals to me because of the rout’s history, physical challenge, and length. During my preliminary research I noticed that honey was one of the things being promoted in Asturias. As an occasional maker of mead myself I couldn’t help but wonder how likely it would be to find some local aguamiel while on pilgrimage. I like to sample local and regional product when passing through an area.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does anyone have any experience with, or even finding, mead on the Primitivo?

Ever the optimist, I am beginning planning for a 2021 camino. The primitivo appeals to me because of the rout’s history, physical challenge, and length. During my preliminary research I noticed that honey was one of the things being promoted in Asturias. As an occasional maker of mead myself I couldn’t help but wonder how likely it would be to find some local aguamiel while on pilgrimage. I like to sample local and regional product when passing through an area.

As a mead maker myself would be very interested in your findings! Kindly
keep posting!

:)

samarkand

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will find what you are seeking in many a bar that is at least 1km off the camino groove and where a polite enquiry will usually bring a positive response. I'm always willing to spend time off-piste in search of orujo / aguardiente and some of those meanders have been fulfilling.

Buena suerte
There was some good stuff to be had at Foncebadon many years ago! plus there are some interesting vintage motorcycles there as well!

Samarkand.

I have seen hidromiel for sale in specialty shops in Asturias (in Llanes IIRC) but not being a particular fan, I didn't try it. I think I saw it as well in the open-air mercado in Grado, along with corked bottles of sidra natural. There was lots of gorgeous honey for sale in that market and if it were not for the fact that it is heavy stuff, I would have happily taken some back with me. If you're in the UK (I was about to say Europe!), I see from the internet that there are a number of artisanal producers who will ship their products. As well, there is a bar in Gijon, Café-Bar La Fragua on Avn. De La Costa 41 where hidromiel is available. There may be others!

I have seen hidromiel for sale in specialty shops in Asturias (in Llanes IIRC) but not being a particular fan, I didn't try it. I think I saw it as well in the open-air mercado in Grado, along with corked bottles of sidra natural. There was lots of gorgeous honey for sale in that market and if it were not for the fact that it is heavy stuff, I would have happily taken some back with me. If you're in the UK (I was about to say Europe!), I see from the internet that there are a number of artisanal producers who will ship their products. As well, there is a bar in Gijon, Café-Bar La Fragua on Avn. De La Costa 41 where hidromiel is available. There may be others!

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eyes peeled when I pass through. In the US so not able to get mail orders.

As for not being a particular fan, I understand. Mead that I can easily find on the market tends to be tooth crackling sweet, something I don't care for. Which is a shame as mead can be anything from bone dry to dessert sweet. I prefer the dryer stuff which is great on its own or as a base for a wide variety of flavors.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will find what you are seeking in many a bar that is at least 1km off the camino groove and where a polite enquiry will usually bring a positive response. I'm always willing to spend time off-piste in search of orujo / aguardiente and some of those meanders have been fulfilling.

Buena suerte
Off the beaten path it is then. Thank you.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back