• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meaning of Camino to you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Life.

Everything about the Camino relates to my life. Not a day goes by without contemplation, reflection, being thankful for walking. What was learned on the Camino and what has been gained from the beautiful people along the Way are immeasurable. Learned to always carry extra chocolate to share.

Forever changed life.

Last edited:
A very difficult question. The Camino has many different meanings for me; it could perhaps be considered a grand personal achievement - admittedly something I felt that first time arriving in Santiago but which now has faded into the oblivion of values no longer relevant. Here in Jerusalem, the walls of my study have mementos from all my Camino walks, the library shelves double-stacked with books concerning the Camino and medieval European history, art, and architecture – subjects I had never studied or was even aware of their existence prior to Santiago. The Camino is then an intellectual topic which I pursue with an intense interest bordering on obsession. I also have access to hiking-scaled maps and guides for the Camino in Spain, Portugal, and France for planning and enjoyment – I love a good map. Walking the Camino is again something totally different. First, and I must agree with mraslin it is a time for self-confrontation and contemplation, the first disappears at home with daily concerns and the trivialities of routine; the second remains to help guide one through those same obstacles in the attempt to achieve peace and if not satisfaction then at least resignation. I could continue, oh so much more, but will stop with this final bit, walking the different Chemins in France, the Caminos in Spain, the Caminho in Portugal has always granted me a glorious invigorating feeling of Freedom (!), a cherished value which I do wish I could better bring to those around me in the strained politics of our modern society.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Strange coincidence you asking this. I was last night reflecting on why I had walked in the first place, why I continue to do so and what the consequences have been. It has and continues to help me get closer to two people - God and myself. My friends have commented on the changes in me and I myself sense their continuing. Sometimes I wish I had encountered these experiences earlier in my life, but then again maybe there is a time and place for everything in one's life isn't there? We are all lucky that ours is now. :)

I was always taken aback when I was asked this sort of question on the camino, and I suppose I still am when someone who is a complete stranger starts a conversation on such a value laden topic. I found most meaning when I walked with fellow pilgrims who understood that being on pilgrimage was what was important, not our individual motivations for the journey.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Dymphna Kim -

A total transformational experience for mind, body and spirit is what the Camino means to me.

That change is greater than the sum of the many component parts and so I hesitate to dissect it. Or maybe I am just not deft or insightful enough to accomplish the task.

Looking forward to other comments here because there is always something to learn on the Forum.

B

My camino meant a time for reflection on me and what I want out of life. That seems pretty selfish, but I don't spend much time on that usually. But, since my camino, I've toned down my work stress and my partner and I have filed for divorce...of course that's hard and sad, but it's best for both of us. Without this time for reflection, we'd probably end up unhappily resentful of each other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me at the age of 60 and not very athletic, it was quite an achievement that I walked as many stages as I did and walked every step from Astorga to SdC. I was very pleased with myself. The spiritual part of my camino was quite unexpected and I was unprepared for how it affected me. I was walking from one of my younger sisters who died of breast cancer and spent many hours walking alone, praying and thinking about her. It certainly helped me come to terms with her death. I remember seeing Cruz de Fero from a distance and crying all the way there and for as long as I could see it, actually sobbing at times. The whole journey was very healing. I think that it has remained with me during the past five year.

My home is always filled with kids, grandkids, dogs and lots of noise! This is a blessing indeed but my pilgrimage was a chance to be alone. To hear my thoughts in the quiet.
To overcome a ton of fears but an opportunity to meet people and, gulp, talk to them! lol. Very shy! But no one noticed or cared. Everyone I met just took me as they found me as I did for them. :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Camino was a chance to step off a cliff into the unknown and trust that, no matter what happened, I'd survive. It was an opportunity to put some of my spoken beliefs of simplicity to the test and it was a chance to prove to myself that we're all only as old or limited or out of shape as we let ourselves believe.

What the Camino means to me is a work in progress. I'm still thinking about it more than a year later. I do believe if we could get the leaders of the world to walk the Camino together, the world would be a better place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Camino is a positive addiction for me. I am so grateful the the experience and the realization that the Camino never ends. It is the begining of a journey that will last for the rest of my life. It is always on my mind.

Buen Camino !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What the Camino means to me is a work in progress. I'm still thinking about it more than a year later. I do believe if we could get the leaders of the world to walk the Camino together, the world would be a better place.
I got an image in my mind of Obama, Putin, Kim Jung and a few others walking along, having deep discussions about blisters, sore muscles and how better to share this world we live in, and then kicking back with a cerveza at the end of a long day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Strange coincidence you asking this. I was last night reflecting on why I had walked in the first place, why I continue to do so and what the consequences have been. It has and continues to help me get closer to two people - God and myself. My friends have commented on the changes in me and I myself sense their continuing. Sometimes I wish I had encountered these experiences earlier in my life, but then again maybe there is a time and place for everything in one's life isn't there? We are all lucky that ours is now. :)
Well said ... But I guess it happened at the right time, I was ready!

The Camino ends in bones buried in a church, just as all of our lives end in bones buried in the earth, burned to ash, sunk to the bottom of the sea, or frozen in ice. It’s up to us to do what we will before it comes to that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Healing. Peace. Freedom. Maybe even in that order. Some pain, lots of laughter and friendship. Simplicity.

I thought I would think about a lot of 'things' on the Camino. In fact, consciously at least, I would spend hours with not a thought going through my head! It was a kind of meditative peace.

For all sorts of reasons, I think the Camino allows the best in people to come out. And for me, there was also a realisation about how little 'stuff' I needed to feel happy and contented. People and companionship, simple food, nature, sleep...

Someone wrote earlier in the thread that the Camino is greater than the sum of its parts. How true is that? It's what I understand and appreciate every single day.

The Camino ends in bones buried in a church, just as all of our lives end in bones buried in the earth, burned to ash, sunk to the bottom of the sea, or frozen in ice. It’s up to us to do what we will before it comes to that.
Or like mine in a lab in Birmingham University for medical research.

photo 1.JPG Letting go - pressing forward - simply live life.
My Camino continues. I came home Oct 2013 after walking the CM 500 miles. I endured a hard 14 months. I was let go of a really bad job Nov 2014, then viola, the Camino rewards and blessings. I now live in one of the most beautiful places, Sun Valley, Idaho, a ski resort in winter and hiking wonder in summer. I have truly been blessed.
The key for me was, during the tough times, the dark times. I had a happy heart and a joyful spirit. Just like walking, don't let the tough times drag you down.
My motto: Get up and walk, life will reveal itself to you, show up with a joyful spirit.
May the Lord be with you and His face shine upon you. Love!

PS: In my new home, Sun Valley, I ran across a random yellow arrow, pointing west of course. The Camino is always with you. Peace!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Collectively, my Camino walks were a very healing experience for me, during several very difficult years. I was able to grieve and come to terms with some past losses, and look to the present with different eyes. Fortunately, they also equipped me to deal with future challenges with some small measure of acceptance.

I was always taken aback when I was asked this sort of question on the camino, and I suppose I still am when someone who is a complete stranger starts a conversation on such a value laden topic. I found most meaning when I walked with fellow pilgrims who understood that being on pilgrimage was what was important, not our individual motivations for the journey.

From a literal sense, few people believe that the bones of St. James are actually incased in a box in Santiago. Given that, perhaps the reason for walking the Camino is most likely explained as a metaphorical experience. As such, it must be based on individual motivations even if the pilgrim is unable to articulate that. Nothing wrong with that. Most of us have no idea why we do the things we do, really. But we do them anyway, hoping that the reason will present itself eventually and our actions will then become justified. Maybe that is why many pilgrims do not come to terms with why they walked until they return home and have time to reflect on the experience and what they learned about themselves.

This time a year ago, I vacillated between frantically planning and quietly anticipating my (first) camino. Now, approximately 10 months later I find little nuggets of memory or nostalgia or yearning and even wisdom where reflection resides. What the meaning of the camino is to me often reveals itself when I least expect it - when I'm more benevolent than I expect of myself, when I find understanding instead of judgement whether towards others or more often, myself. Last night on my very own back porch with a friend and my husband I found myself telling a story of an interaction with another while I walked last year.... my husband (dear that he is) said for the twentieth or so time that I should write down and share my experiences. I'm still exploring/recalling them as they to relate to my everyday life now. The camino continues to provide an internal launch-pad for insight and awareness as well as a warm, cuddly blanket for my spirit and soul.
The value/meaning continues to (delightfully) surprise me here and there with thoughts and reactions that I didn't possess or develop before and don't take for granted now. I could probably write a thick, cumbersome, and ego-heavy paper or book on what the camino means to me. I find that little flames of loving recall as well as little flames of feeling just absolutely perfect and content continue to shape what it meant and continues to mean to me.
I listen to birds ( and humans) with more attention, I give myself space to understand and reflect more generously, and maybe most importantly (to me) - I feel much more generous to the general human condition. Perhaps I've found comfort with a depth that is more profound (than pre-pilgrimage) and a lightness that is incredibly buoyant - I'm so incredibly humbled, and so incredibly grateful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Camino for me was about overcoming my own fear and self-doubt and giving myself a sense of self-worth. I hoped it would make me feel better about myself and inspire me to be more adventurous in the future. It did all those things.

This time a year ago, I vacillated between frantically planning and quietly anticipating my (first) camino. Now, approximately 10 months later I find little nuggets of memory or nostalgia or yearning and even wisdom where reflection resides. What the meaning of the camino is to me often reveals itself when I least expect it - when I'm more benevolent than I expect of myself, when I find understanding instead of judgement whether towards others or more often, myself. Last night on my very own back porch with a friend and my husband I found myself telling a story of an interaction with another while I walked last year.... my husband (dear that he is) said for the twentieth or so time that I should write down and share my experiences. I'm still exploring/recalling them as they to relate to my everyday life now. The camino continues to provide an internal launch-pad for insight and awareness as well as a warm, cuddly blanket for my spirit and soul.
The value/meaning continues to (delightfully) surprise me here and there with thoughts and reactions that I didn't possess or develop before and don't take for granted now. I could probably write a thick, cumbersome, and ego-heavy paper or book on what the camino means to me. I find that little flames of loving recall as well as little flames of feeling just absolutely perfect and content continue to shape what it meant and continues to mean to me.
I listen to birds ( and humans) with more attention, I give myself space to understand and reflect more generously, and maybe most importantly (to me) - I feel much more generous to the general human condition. Perhaps I've found comfort with a depth that is more profound (than pre-pilgrimage) and a lightness that is incredibly buoyant - I'm so incredibly humbled, and so incredibly grateful.

That's really lovely, Kerstinh47.

In the five months since I finished the Camino, little memories keep coming back to me when I talk to someone about the Camino or when I am just going about my everyday life. It's raining here in Sydney today, and I had to go outside for a little while this afternoon; as I stood in the rain, I found myself thinking about the day I walked in the rain from Leon to San Martin del Camino...

When you get to the end of the Camino, you feel within yourself that it has all meant something significant, but you don't know exactly how at that moment. The meaning unfolds in the days and weeks and months after you return home.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back