• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meaning of symbols used here

Lachance

Me llamo Deb
Time of past OR future Camino
Part Francese 2016
I'm talking about the row of icons above the message space, i.e. where I'm writing this. Some I get but not being an Apple person, others are a mystery. Is there an explanation anywhere on the site? I couldn't find one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my computer I can see what they are when I hover over them.... Also the smiley, when clicked, then has many other options to choose from.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not exactly in response to the original question, but I've never figured out how to insert an image into a post without first uploading the image to the media gallery, then retrieving it from the gallery into the active post. Am I missing something?

Have you tried cut, copy & paste. It works for me every time.

FYI, I use exclusively Apple devices. So taking a photo with my iPhone, e-mailing to myself, then managing the 'upload' to the Forum on my Mac is "easy peasy..."

Also, when I e-mail the photo form my iPhone, the iOS gives me the ability to select the image size I want to forward to myself. As I know Ivar has an upward limit on the size of .jpg files, I choose something on the small side, like less than 250 Kb or so.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you tried cut, copy & paste. It works for me every time...
Thanks for the tip. I tried a couple of images, one at 121 kb and one at 62 kb, but I got a "Message too long, try again" error on both tries. Guess I'll just have to keep experimenting.

Not exactly in response to the original question, but I've never figured out how to insert an image into a post without first uploading the image to the media gallery, then retrieving it from the gallery into the active post. Am I missing something?
Click the Upload a File button, navigate to where you have stored the picture, and click open. You then choose whether to insert the picture as a thumbnail or Full Image. See my screen shot, inserted as a thumbnail.

screen shot.png

Click the Upload a File button, navigate to where you have stored the picture, and click open. You then choose whether to insert the picture as a thumbnail or Full Image...
Hmmm...I never paid attention to that "Upload a File" button. Let's see if this works:
IMG_0988_small.jpg
Looks like it works. Thanks, Seabird -- I guess an old dog can learn new tricks :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bold, Italic, Underlined
Link and unlink - create a connection to an url
Bullets with points or numbers
Insert smiley, picture, video or text
Probably link to the media gallery on this forum.
Save.
Undo and do...

Does this make sense?
Thank you. It seems odd that a pic of a camera would link to media gallery. Nothing happens when I press it. What about the 2 icons on the extreme RHS? The underlined cap T, sub x; the dog-eared page with a spanner. These are the most mysterious of all. I was hoping there would be fuller explanations on use on site here. But I guess they are well understood icons for Mac users and I must look up elsewhere.

On my computer I can see what they are when I hover over them.... Also the smiley, when clicked, then has many other options to choose from.
Nothing happens on the ipad. I must check it out on the desktop.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or, you can push a few buttons and see what happens....:eek:
That is the boy solution! Actually, I did start by trying this, but had an unnerving experience. At one point, a bubble with only 'paste' appeared. So I did. And it pasted a long and rather private email exchange from several days ago. Then the general bubble refused to appear at all. As I use 'select all' and delete when I decide to retract a comment, I had to hold down the x button for some time to remove it all. It was then that I gave up on the try it and see approach and appealed for the manual. Before that, I tried the 'save draft' and 'delete draft' buttons. Nothing happened.

You're light years ahead of me.

Boy solution, INDEED! ;)

Over the years, I have learned to adopt the solution that produced the desired results with the least expenditure of time and grey cells. Crude but effective...especially where technology was concerned...seems to work adequately.;)

It is interesting, and amusing to see the various alternatives explained here. :eek:

In the end, whatever works, WORKS.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you. It seems odd that a pic of a camera would link to media gallery. Nothing happens when I press it. What about the 2 icons on the extreme RHS? The underlined cap T, sub x; the dog-eared page with a spanner. These are the most mysterious of all. I was hoping there would be fuller explanations on use on site here. But I guess they are well understood icons for Mac users and I must look up elsewhere.
Well, being the slow learner that I am, I decided to figure out the two icons on the right-hand side.

The underlined T sub x removes all formatting that you may have used; for example, you type a response in which you have used the B, the I, or the U icons to emphasize words with bold, italic, or underlining. If you change your mind, you could delete the emphasis individually by highlighting the word or phrase and hitting the appropriate icon to remove it. However, if you've used a mix of formatting types, you can simply highlight the entire sentence or paragraph, then hit the T subscript x icon and it will delete all formatted text in the area highlighted.

The dog-eared page with the spanner (wrench in the US) invokes the BBcode editor, which I don't totally understand. But apparently it is something akin to HTML formatting and has to do with the codes separated by brackets [ ] that deal with formatting on message boards such as this; e.g., the word QUOTE= surrounded by brackets to turn on quoted text and /QUOTE surrounded by brackets to turn it off. Perhaps an expert will jump in and clarify this. BTW, some message boards allow the use of similar codes to change text color or add other formatting such as subscripts and superscripts.

The camera icon opens a link to an image gallery which you may have created here on the forum. When you hit that icon, your image gallery pops up and you can select a photo you previously posted into the gallery and include it in your current post.

I hope I'm not too far off on these explanations, and I hope this helps in some small way.

Last edited:
Well, being the slow learner that I am, I decided to figure out the two icons on the right-hand side. <SNIP>I hope I'm not too far off on these explanations, and I hope this helps in some small way.
Thank you very much Jim. I appreciate your taking the time to elucidate this.
Deb
PS How do you include details below a message, where you have your name and some people put little quotes etc?

How do you include details below a message, where you have your name and some people put little quotes etc?
Go to the top right and hover over your forum name. You'll see a drop down box full of interesting options. Pick "Signature" and whatever you put in that box will appear under your post but over your name. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Further to the symbols already mentioned can anyone help me understand the picture symbols to the RHS of New Posts?
If you hover over the red pin it says 'sticky'. Not sure what that means.
Also, there are reading glasses and a padlock on some, while on others it says Calendar.
What do they mean and how do they appear?
Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Further to the symbols already mentioned can anyone help me understand the picture symbols to the RHS of New Posts?
If you hover over the red pin it says 'sticky'. Not sure what that means.
Also, there are reading glasses and a padlock on some, while on others it says Calendar.
What do they mean and how do they appear?
Thank you.
Well I'm no expert, but I think the reading glasses means you've marked it as a watched thread and the padlock means moderators have locked the thread, i.e. banned more posts.

A "sticky" thread is one that stays at the top of that section of the forum - usually because it contains lots of useful information.
The reading glasses mean that you have selected that thread as a "watched thread" - perhaps because you want to be alerted when there is a reply. You can also "watch" a whole forum and be alerted when there are new posts.
A padlock means the moderators have closed the thread.
And the calendar is because the thread is linked to the forum calendar - it is usually about Camino starting dates.

A "sticky" thread is one that stays at the top of that section of the forum - usually because it contains lots of useful information.
The reading glasses mean that you have selected that thread as a "watched thread" - perhaps because you want to be alerted when there is a reply. You can also "watch" a whole forum and be alerted when there are new posts.
A padlock means the moderators have closed the thread.
And the calendar is because the thread is linked to the forum calendar - it is usually about Camino starting dates.

Thanks Kanga - that's really helpful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back