• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Does 'WC' Mean in Cicerone Guidebook of Via Podiensis?

Florida Bill

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 did Frances and plan to Le Puy in 2023
I’ve looked in the legend of symbols for “WC” used throughout the guidebook of the Via Podiensis by Cicerone and can’t find it. Can someone familiar with the guidebook tell me what WC stands for?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve looked in the legend of symbols for “WC” used throughout the guidebook of the Via Podiensis by Cicerone and can’t find it. Can someone familiar with the guidebook tell me what WC stands for?
Water Closet. i.e. toilets. In French, sometimes, they say VC

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before doing a Camino, I recommend that you first get some independent travel experience in Europe to learn travel skills and European customs. Everything that you learn on prior trips will be very helpful on your Camino.

-Paul

Before doing a Camino, I recommend that you first get some independent travel experience in Europe to learn travel skills and European customs. Everything that you learn on prior trips will be very helpful on your Camino.
I don't understand the logic here. Isn't it equally true that the experience on the Camino will educate someone on how to travel elsewhere? The infrastructure and support on the Camino are much greater than a newbie traveler would find elsewhere, so it is a good place to start.

To walk the Camino, a person needs a bit of preparation in terms of clothes and equipment, but otherwise it is an extremely safe and secure first journey.

I agree that one learns how to travel, by travelling, but there are many ways to get started. Each person needs to start with what experience they have, at the time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't understand the logic here. Isn't it equally true that the experience on the Camino will educate someone on how to travel elsewhere? The infrastructure and support on the Camino are much greater than a newbie traveler would find elsewhere, so it is a good place to start.

To walk the Camino, a person needs a bit of preparation in terms of clothes and equipment, but otherwise it is an extremely safe and secure first journey.

I agree that one learns how to travel, by travelling, but there are many ways to get started. Each person needs to start with what experience they have, at the time!
I agree. You can learn a lot travelling the Camino that you can carry to your other travels. While I had taken my daughter on a tour of Europe a few years earlier - she had never travelled solo or as an adult prior to her first Camino. She learned so much more than I could have taught her because she had to figure everything out on her own and didn't have someone else to rely on. She learned to navigate through Paris to SJPDP via public transportation, then across Spain completely on her own. And I felt totally comfortable sending her on her first solo journey BECAUSE IT WAS THE CAMINO. What safer way is there for a young solo female adult to learn some independent travel skills than on the Camino in Spain? I will add.. she started at a University this year and she totally noticed how much more comfortable she was navigating a new city compared to her peers. Because of the Camino.

And @pjacobi what makes you think the OP hasn't travelled enough to do the Camino? Just because he didn't know what WC meant? I didn't see WC signs "everywhere" in Europe and even though I had been in France before - I had to remind myself what WC signs were for when I returned years later.

WC is an England-English term, so if it exists in Europe, it must be for the foreigners on their Grand Tour. Cicerone is an English company, so it stands to reason they’d use it in their production.
It is used surprisingly often around the world, but certainly more often in places that had the British influence.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first time that I went to Canada to visit my now husband he took me to a very nice restaurant for lunch after picking me up at the airport.
I had to use the facilities so I asked the hostess where the bathroom was. She raised an eye and said "you mean the washroom?"
Weird and snitty from the hostess! I'm pretty sure most Canadians use bathroom and washroom interchangeably! (source: am Canadian)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is used surprisingly often around the world
I don't recall having seen it in France but Wikipedia says that, in France, a sign with the letters WC is often used to indicate where the toilets are.

In German, “WC” is commonly known and the German Wikipedia article even has a photo of the official road sign used on their motorways.
WC sign.jpg

Many French and German speakers don't know that the abbreviation refers to the English term water closet. Pronunciation: les vécés and das whe-tse.

Last edited:
Weird and snitty from the hostess! I'm pretty sure most Canadians use bathroom and washroom interchangeably! (source: am Canadian)
Yes, this, but I recall being told, after I’d once asked for directions to the ‘bathroom’, that bathing was not available in the washroom. Since washing is not available in all WCs around the world, and needs must, I just ask for the toilet now.

I agree. You can learn a lot travelling the Camino that you can carry to your other travels. While I had taken my daughter on a tour of Europe a few years earlier - she had never travelled solo or as an adult prior to her first Camino. She learned so much more than I could have taught her because she had to figure everything out on her own and didn't have someone else to rely on. She learned to navigate through Paris to SJPDP via public transportation, then across Spain completely on her own. And I felt totally comfortable sending her on her first solo journey BECAUSE IT WAS THE CAMINO. What safer way is there for a young solo female adult to learn some independent travel skills than on the Camino in Spain? I will add.. she started at a University this year and she totally noticed how much more comfortable she was navigating a new city compared to her peers. Because of the Camino.

And @pjacobi what makes you think the OP hasn't travelled enough to do the Camino? Just because he didn't know what WC meant? I didn't see WC signs "everywhere" in Europe and even though I had been in France before - I had to remind myself what WC signs were for when I returned years later.
Hey Jeanine. You’re correct that one who walks the Camino can learn a great deal. However, I think you’re selling yourself and rest of your family a bit short for the roles you played in getting your daughter to where she was before walking the Camino and now her comfort level at the university. Having worked with young people at universities for decades, I can tell you that they don’t all come equally equipped to be independent. And for many of them, just being on their own at the university does not automatically translate into greater maturity or a larger skill set. And although I do wholeheartedly believe that an experience like the Camino can help develop many skills that will be useful going forward, I’m also pretty convinced that someone like your daughter could have possessed much of the foundation she needed to be successful and make the most out of her time on the Camino. And this foundation was laid by you and everyone else who nurtured her prior long before her arrival in SJPP. It sounds like she was more than ready which speaks very well of the special people around her not just because of the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WC is an England-English term, so if it exists in Europe, it must be for the foreigners on their Grand Tour. Cicerone is an English company, so it stands to reason they’d use it in their production.
Not just English, but Cumbrian and happily so local (Police Square, Milnthorpe) that on a good day I could throw a rock there.

The Grand Tour was, as with many other stereotypes of ‘the British’, something enjoyed by a fraction of a percent of the population. My ancestors were working down that fraction’s mines, in their mills or shovelling their horse-shit; they were not causing famines, enslaving others, sending a gunboat to shell the palace or disporting themselves throughout Europe picking up the odd work of art here and there.

To the annoyance of some, the lingua-franca is often English; but it’s not necessarily our fault; blame the hotel-proprietors perhaps?

I remember, with an odd sense of affection, a Guesthouse in Imlil in the High Atlas. There was a door in the courtyard clearly marked WC. While that door led to a small room that could, reasonably, be described as a Closet it had not seen any trace of Water in all its long existence. I recall handing an excessive gratuite to the little lad whose job it was to shovel out that “closet”.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, this, but I recall being told, after I’d once asked for directions to the ‘bathroom’, that bathing was not available in the washroom. Since washing is not available in all WCs around the world, and needs must, I just ask for the toilet now.
I'm embarrassed to say how old I was before I felt comfortable asking for the toilet in a public place.

Once in a restaurant in Australia I actually waited until I saw another woman ask the waiter where the toilet was, and I followed her. 😂

While on this topic, in British English the words "pardon me" and "excuse me" can be interpreted differently whereas in American English they tend to be used interchangeably. It's escaped me when to use each, but I'll check before returning to England.

I'm embarrassed to say how old I was before I felt comfortable asking for the toilet in a public place.

Once in a restaurant in Australia I actually waited until I saw another woman ask the waiter where the toilet was, and I followed her. 😂
I've always had difficulty with the notion of a powder room, especially when I don't recall any that I was directed to having any powder. But I come from a place where single story housing was very much the norm, and where houses rarely collocated the bathroom and toilet in one room. In my early childhood, the toilet was still a long walk into the backyard. The wonders of a septic system and later sewerage were still some time away in my future.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A little bit off topic here but;

After living in China for two years, I can confirm that even if you cannot speak a word of any Chinese language, all Chinese people understand the English pronunciation of the letters, WC.

Mind you, once shown to the WC doors, be prepared, upon entry, for another great adventure into the unknown. :)

I always carry WC paper and soap when travelling.

After living in China for two years, I can confirm that even if you cannot speak a word of any Chinese language, all Chinese people understand the English pronunciation of the letters, WC.

On a brief trip to China I found that often the one stall in the women's bathroom that had a western toilet was functioning as a janitor's closet and was full of mops, buckets, and other cleaning supplies. 😕

I've always had difficulty with the notion of a powder room, especially when I don't recall any that I was directed to having any powder.
In this context, it would have originally been the place where women went to add more powder to their face to hide any shiny spots. Sweating was very unladylike.

The other context would have been soldiers going for more ammunition for their muskets and hopefully that was far away from the WC.

While on this topic, in British English the words "pardon me" and "excuse me" can be interpreted differently whereas in American English they tend to be used interchangeably. It's escaped me when to use each, but I'll check before returning to England.
If memory serves, ‘pardon me’ because I’ve done something I shouldn’t, and ‘excuse me’ because you are in my way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In this context, it would have originally been the place where women went to add more powder to their face to hide any shiny spots. Sweating was very unladylike.
or perhaps, powdering one's nose being used more euphamistically to avoid any direct reference to having normal bodily functions that need attending to, and the powder room was where one did that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Other countries, other customs, as the saying goes. 😊

A European friend of mine who lived in California for a few years does not get tired of telling his funny story of a short tourist trip on horses where the American guide said that "the horses need to go to the bathroom". 😂

During my first visit to the UK as a teenager, I was shocked to see that the toilet was in the same room as the bathtub, i.e. in the actual bathroom. I was used to houses where the WC is in a separate small room (and these were modest houses, nothing posh).

In Spain, I usually ask where los servicios or los aseos are, and in France I ask for les toilettes. I was amused to read in Google searches that le vater and el váter are used for the actual device (not the room where it is) by French and Spanish speakers respectively, so literally "the water". Can someone confirm this? I've never seen or heard this before.

To the annoyance of some, the lingua-franca is often English; but it’s not necessarily our fault; blame the hotel-proprietors perhaps?
Neither the British aristocracy on tour nor the hotel-proprietors nor English as a global language are to blame. It seems that a product was invented, developed, manufactured, marketed, exhibited at a major trade show in London, and successfully exported to other countries nearby - the word water closet was simply exported with it and the abbreviation WC was then used in these non-English speaking neighbouring countries. This happened a very long time ago - and I am trying hard not to add anything now that could be deemed to be "political" :cool:.

Other countries, other customs, as the saying goes. 😊

A European friend of mine who lived in California for a few years does not get tired of telling his funny story of a short tourist trip on horses where the American guide said that "the horses need to go to the bathroom". 😂
🤣
During my first visit to the UK as a teenager, I was shocked to see that the toilet was in the same room as the bathtub, i.e. in the actual bathroom. I was used to houses where the WC is in a separate small room (and these were modest houses, nothing posh).
In NZ, too, this can be the case.

@Florida Bill prepare for your horizons to be exponentially expanded. For all of us, the way things are elsewhere is different than at home, which is such a delight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I had read Rick Steve’s’ book Europe Through the Back Door before my first Camino it would have made it a heckuva lot easier TO GET TO the start of the Camino and then all along it. After 8 Caminos I still refer to it occasionally. Buen Camino

Rick Steve's is a good place to start for learning travel skills.

Most people get overwhelmed after walking 25 Km and then having to learn travel skills. You will have a much better Camino if you combine experiences learned from previous trips.

Now that you know the definition of "WC", it is on to the next lesson! There's always something new to learn.

-Paul

Most people get overwhelmed after walking 25 Km and then having to learn travel skills.
'Most' is an exaggeration, unless you're talking about people who have never travelled or walked distances at all, and even then. That said, those who never got a decent education about other countries than their own are at a distinct disadvantage.

It's true 'travel skills' are useful. But even calling them that seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill. Just be flexible and open to learning new things - and don't assume the way you do things at home is the right or only way. These are simple life skills.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thomas Crapper

I refer you to Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford and the list of 25 things to see.

This story is about the Frideswide Window.

When walking Thames Path in 2016 I was in the queue to get a ticket to look around the public part of Christ Church College, including the Cathedral. An usher spotted me in my walking gear, complete with pack, helped me find a place for my pack and sent inside with out charge.

I started to look around the Cathedral when a guide added me to his charges, again without fee.

One of the last places was the Chapel, in its own space beside the Chancel and high altar.

At the Burne-Jones window, behind the chapels altar, the guide described this relatively contemporary window and its subject. Then, looking particularly at the children in the group, asked if any one could see a toilet. One older child (in walking gear) identified and named the Crapper Box, as they were first called.

WC and bathroom vs. toilet. That's two important travel lesson in this thread alone. This shows how travel skills are so important on the Camino. It's not a requirement for the Camino but make things a lot easier!

Now on the lesson 3: Slot toilet/Oriental toilets/Turkish toilet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've often found it amusing that an abbreviation of an English term is commonly used in places where no one understands English. More so when the language of the place ONLY uses 'W' in foreign words.

But….WC !!

But….WC !!
This shows how travel skills are so important on the Camino. It's not a requirement for the Camino but make things a lot easier!
Not to belabour the points (well, I admit that I am doing so), but one should have general competency as an adult (or almost-adult), before going on a solo trip to the Camino or anywhere else!

They will be fine on a Camino as a first trip if they have learned at home to get from point A to point B on public transportation, they have become aware that different countries have different laws, they have read literature from other cultures, followed current affairs, been exposed to people speaking other languages, even maybe studied another language themselves. All of that should happen at home as children grow up and become adults.

Nobody needs to take a trip to Europe to learn about WCs before they should undertake a Camino.

Last edited:
They will be fine on a Camino as a first trip if they have learned at home to get from point A to point B on public transportation
Unfortunately, where I live, and I'm sure in lots of other places public transportation is practically non-existent.

My city has bus service, but the routes are few and far between. When I tried to get bus directions on Google Maps from my suburban house to the library downtown the first step was "walk 2.5 miles" to the closest bus stop. By that point I'd already be more than halfway there, since the library is only 4 miles away.

Nobody needs to take a trip to Europe to learn about WCs before they should undertake a Camino.
I am bemused that you don't support @pjacobi's suggestions here. Clearly the innocent misunderstanding of a simple abbreviation commonly used around the world, less perhaps North America, should be more than adequate justification for undertaking exploratory travel to learn English as it is spoken outside of the Americas. It is clearly more important to do that before your first Camino, to ensure that you are well informed about the meaning of all the standard and non-standard signs and symbols that you might encounter in your travels, just in case you aren't familiar with them already.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My city has bus service, but the routes are few and far between.
Then a trip to a nearby city in your own region might provide a useful lesson before taking that trip abroad that is meant as a practice for the Camino trip.🙃

It is clearly more important to do that before your first Camino
But why can't you equally well learn that on the Camino trip? Either way you will experience some WC anxiety. Probably easier to resolve on the Camino with instant friends, than in a Paris train station among strangers!

By the way, I am also bemused by this debate.🙂

I had to get a driver’s licence in a South Asian nation (it was less bureaucratic to do this than to try to convert my Canadian one), and when I took the written test, I had zero idea what some of the terms meant. For example, what the heck is a ‘junction box’? I took a stab at answering. Fortunately, one did not need a perfect score to pass.

Just as one does not need a perfect understanding of the unusual and non-standard to get by in this world. Even if one is embarrassed, one would still likely survive, and even make it to adulthood. 😇

What a bemused-inducing thread. 🙃

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For those searching for a euphemism that might stretch even a well seasoned traveler I suggest “the doughnut in granny’s greenhouse”. Meanwhile it would seem that WC has it covered for a fair chunk of the planet. Those whom the reference escapes still have the option to “keep shaking that bush”.
Ah, the 70’s, no internet to keep buggering things up

Not strictly about the Camino, but related to unfamiliarity with languages and usage. My first trip to Mexico, I asked someone at the airport where the "Cuarto de Baño" was and they looked at me very strangely. I was using my high school Spanish-- much too literally -- to Room of the Bath. Nowadays, I ask for the baño, which is the basic and most common word for bathroom. I've also seen "Lavabo" -- meaning washroom, sink, or washbasin; Sanitario; Servicio; and even "Toilette" (but more often in France).

It stands for Water Closet ans is the bathroom

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

-Paul
Agree. Yanks (= "USA Americans") are often quite unaware of customs and terms commonly used abroad. I know this, and can state it, because I started out American myself. But, to quote Monty Python, "I got better." We all have so much to learn! The first step is to ask the question. Or maybe, first open our eyes, and then ask a question.

I always thought that the word ‘toilet’ was a non starter for USA folks, whether at home or travelling. Even though I am am from UK, and have never lived in USA I used to go there a lot and I assumed it was a word not to be used there. Strangely enough I tend to use quite a lot of ‘Americanisms’ and tend to say ‘bathroom’ or ‘restroom’ on other countries including UK which gets me a few funny looks.

As always in UK, there are a a millions words for everything depending on where you are from and your social class. So my middle class colleagues from the home counties say ‘loo’ and my working class mates tend to say ‘khazi’. Google if you have any further interest!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Love this. 😂. Yep, we tend to be a pretty straightforward bunch ‘down here’. Nothing too fancy. A toilet is a toilet. But you will also see signs with restroom, WC, stick figures etc. 😎

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And "loo," at least here in SA.
Ah yes. Probably not on a sign but definitely spoken. In fact now that I think about I - which I rarely do - ‘loo’ is what I’d say most often … in Australia.

I wonder what the OP @Florida Bill makes of this thread, if he hasn’t already made a sensible retreat. Certainly more than he bargained for - it was such a simple question, and answered perfectly well at post #2. 😎

You just reminded me of some of my favorite restroom doors I saw at a bar in Maui. 😂

20230114_221802-COLLAGE.jpg
Oh @trecile - that reminds of something unusual and charming (I thought) at our lodging in Mauleon-Licharre on Chemin du Piémont last year. I think this is a great accessory for those ‘WC’s’ in Maui.

And with that … I’m outta here. 😎

Attachments

• 9898A770-7646-426A-9964-3878D07FFB99.jpeg
    9898A770-7646-426A-9964-3878D07FFB99.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yes, my whole "argument" is lighthearted, since the premise seems so wobbly. The OP's question was answered in the first response, so we are happily rambling now. I liked your use of the word "bemused", so I repeated it.
I'm sorry, but I think I mistook you for someone who thought I was taking this part of the discussion seriously. I apologize.

I quite agree. Why not use plain English if you are speaking in English. Though, of course, 'toilet' and 'lavatory' are also euphemisms!

I quite agree. Why not use plain English if you are speaking in English. Though, of course, 'toilet' and 'lavatory' are also euphemisms!

Because not all of us here have English as their native language.
In my case it is only the third language I tried to master.
So these types of threads are interesting for understanding the characteristics of a language.
Brings me to the concept of your idea of " plain language".
But indeed enough hijacking 🙂.

Why not use plain English if you are speaking in English
One can lose track in these forum threads and not remember or notice why who said what in which context. This thread was started by a reader from Florida with a question about a term in a book, written in English about a long-distance trail in France, published by a company with seat in Cumbria, UK, and originally written by an author born in Nottingham, UK but who has also lived in the USA, and, following the death of this author, now authored by a writer from Oregon, USA. The question - what does "WC" mean - was quickly answered, followed by readers sharing which terms they use for "WC" when at home or abroad and what foreigners call it in their own languages and countries and how weird / common / funny / uncomfortable the use of such terms appears to be.

I have exciting news.

There is actually an explanation for "WC" in the current edition of the Cicerone guidebook about the Camino de Santiago - Via Podiensis: Le Puy to the Pyrenees on the GR65. It's in Appendix C, English-French Glossary where the attentive reader will find an explanatory entry: (English) bathroom and (French) WC/la toilette/cabinets are indeed the same thing. :cool:
WC.jpg

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And "loo,"

I am conscious of two derivations of this word. Others may have more.

1) As spelt - England
Even in recent years I have heard some say "Waterloo" and indicate towards the "throne room"

2) As heard (and written) - Scotland
In the tenements of the Wynds of Edinburgh with the multistorey buildings, it was a practice to empty the Chamber Pot from an upper window. My recollection from a long ago reading of Scott is the tosser would say "Garde de lieu" (watch the spot - beware). Why French spoken by Scots in Edinburgh of old? That is the start of another story ...

I am conscious of two derivations of this word. Others may have more.

1) As spelt - England
Even in recent years I have heard some say "Waterloo" and indicate towards the "throne room"

2) As heard (and written) - Scotland
In the tenements of the Wynds of Edinburgh with the multistorey buildings, it was a practice to empty the Chamber Pot from an upper window. My recollection from a long ago reading of Scott is the tosser would say "Garde de lieu" (watch the spot - beware). Why French spoken by Scots in Edinburgh of old? That is the start of another story ...
At the risk of further wandering off-topic, about 2) - ("...That is the start of another story ..."):
Does it have to do with Jacobites?
No, okay, stop me now!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm still not comfortable asking for the "toilet" in Europe, UK or elsewhere. For some reason it sounds a bit uncouth to my American upbringing. I still always say bathroom or restroom even when in Europe.
A slang word, mostly used by some men is, "I have to go to the "can".😅

Last edited:
I've always had difficulty with the notion of a powder room,
In America, powder rooms are part of the ladies' restrooms; usually an attractive, partially separated area away.from the toilets/sinks, to do some primping. They are often found in nice restaurants, hotels, or on cruise ships. I didn't know those words applied to men's restrooms, as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If memory serves, ‘pardon me’ because I’ve done something I shouldn’t, and ‘excuse me’ because you are in my way.
I tend to use them interchangeably most of the time.
By the way, I am also bemused by this debate.🙂
Me too!
A joke one has to explain is clearly not a joke. My remarks were TIC!
Sometimes we don't C clearly to know if something is said tongue in cheek, as we come from different cultures.
(French) WC/la toilette/cabinets are indeed the same thing.
Cabinet? Now that is definitely a new one for me. The next time I arrive at the Paris airport I'll say, "Excuse me, where would I find the cabinet?"🙄

I live with a Frenchman and he says ‘toilette’ which in his accent sounds a whole lot more refined than my Australian ‘toylette’.

He said ‘cabinet’ is not often used in spoken word in France but even then as it’s pronounced more like ‘cabinnay’ it sounds better - at least to my ‘Orstraylyan’ ear. 😎

PS. This is not intended to cause offence to any Australians who may read this. I speak only of my own accent and pronunciation 😉

Last edited:
At the risk of further wandering off-topic, about 2) - ("...That is the start of another story ..."):
Does it have to do with Jacobites?
No, okay, stop me now!!!!
I’d guess earlier in time. Queen Mary lived in France as a child and her first marriage was to the heir (later king). After his death, she and a retinue of French speakers went to Scotland so she could assume her place on the throne. By the time of the Jacobite uprising, the pretender and his supporters were already exiled and there wasn’t that much influence from France.

But someone else may know better than I.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I live with a Frenchman and he says ‘toilette’ which in his accent sounds a whole lot more refined than my Australian ‘toylette’.

He said ‘cabinet’ is not often used in spoken word in France but even then as it’s pronounced more like ‘cabinnay’ it sounds better - at least to my ‘Orstraylyan’ ear. 😎

PS. This is not intended to cause offence to any Australians who may read this. I speak only of my own accent and pronunciation 😉
French is my favorite, romantic sounding language, so I can see why even discussing the likes of toilets sounds refined to me.🙂

€60,-
I had to ask the internet and read answers on Quorum to questions like the following to understand parts of this thread:
OK, so apparently, in the USA, the words the toilet denotes the actual porcelain thing and in France, the words les toilettes denotes the room where the things are. What can help travellers to overcome this mental / emotional / linguistic hurdle? I have no idea. Perhaps saying to themselves: Dorothy, you are not in the USA anymore? 😶

I am also reminded about the extra bonus of learning a foreign language: you don’t just learn foreign people’s words. Eventually you may learn something about foreign people’s culture. 😶

-Paul
There are benefits of not knowing, asking for a large beer in Sarria I got a litre when I was expecting a half litre! To be fair he did ask if I meant a large beer and I said yes.:) It would have been rude to decline it when he served it!

Perhaps saying to themselves: Dorothy, you are not in the USA anymore? 😶
Brilliant. :cool:

One of the great joys of travelling is learning that we are all the same but different. As an American I grew up marinating in a strange exeptionalism, and didn't even know it. I only learned later with much travel that everywhere is in some way exceptional. 'We' don't always do it right - whatever nationality that means for you.

had to ask the internet and read answers on Quorum to questions like the following to understand parts of this thread:
American culture is pretty squeamish about bodily functions, if all those euphemisms are to be believed.

It's amusing to watch Americans first encountering Asia, where all sorts of things we hide are no big deal. I was shocked, and pretty disgusted, but am relieved to have cheerfully gotten over it.

So...if you can't bring yourself to comfortably say toilet? It does get easier with practice. 🙃

Why not use plain English if you are speaking in English. Though, of course, 'toilet' and 'lavatory' are also euphemisms!

I am not a native speaker of English and I have not studied linguistics either. But since this is a thread about words and their meaning, whether in English or in French for that matter: I somehow doubt that euphemism is the correct description of the change of the meaning and use of the word toilet, whether that's in English, German, or French. Isn't the development more correctly described as semantic change or also semantic shift, semantic progression, semantic development, or semantic drift)?

If it helps, from Merriam Webster:
Euphemism.
The substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant
also : the expression so substituted
So, yes, euphemism doesn't work for Toilet, but it does for Powder Room (😂), Ladies'/Men's Rooms, and Bathroom.

€83,-
Toilet, Restroom, Bathroom (Engl., I personally find "Bathroom" ridiculous, as I don't want to take a bath, when....)

WC, (VC) (International), French)
Toilette, Toalete (German, French, Italian, Portuguese)
Servicio, Servizi (Spanish, Italian)
Baño, Bagno, Banheiro (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese)
Cabinet, Gabinetto (French), Italian)
Klo (German)
Aseo (Spanish)
Lavabo (Spanish, Portuguese)
Inodoro (Spanish)
Sanitarios, Sanitário (Spanish, Portuguese)
Retretes, Retrete (Spanish, Portuguese)

With this, you should be able to manage the situation pretty easily
🤣

Last edited:
Not much different from "commode" which can be a toilet or a type of cabinet or dresser.

View attachment 139655
I'd rather translate the French 'Cabinet' as 'Studio' for in many languages, people also say euphemistically 'I have to go and think something'. But on the Camino, we should stick to simplicity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Whether striving for simplicity on Camino or not, I think that the more one knows about other people's language, habits and culture (and it goes both ways!), the easier it is to communicate with each other. Obviously, some people are more curious, more willing or simply more capable to adapt to temporary change than others ... but that's what it boils down to, it's as simple as that. IMHO, of course.

There are benefits of not knowing, asking for a large beer in Sarria I got a litre when I was expecting a half litre! To be fair he did ask if I meant a large beer and I said yes.:) It would have been rude to decline it when he served it!
If you drank a full litre of beer in France, the cabinet would definitely be calling your name.😅

In Spain, I usually ask where los servicios or los aseos are, and in France I ask for les toilettes. I was amused to read in Google searches that le vater and el váter are used for the actual device (not the room where it is) by French and Spanish speakers respectively, so literally "the water". Can someone confirm this? I've never seen or heard this before.
"Vater" (for the room) is an old word not used in general today. I say "baño" at home and "servicio" in a bar, but I say "taza del vater" for the device.

Sometimes keeping your words simple works, but sometimes not, and avoiding jargon is often the ticket. When travelling in India many years ago, where English is common amongst the educated classes, I often found myself searching for an older, bigger, more formal word in order to be understood. Queen Victoria’s English would work.

€60,-

€60,-

€83,-
so we are happily rambling now
... as people want-to-do on many threads on this forum. ;)

I haven't read all this rambling above but am slightly surprised that "Lav" hasn't featured, nor in a technical sense traditional toilets in many places were, and sometimes now, not Water Closets but merely holes of some type, with the odour indicating no closet function.

Just as one does not need a perfect understanding of the unusual and non-standard to get by in this world. Even if one is embarrassed, one would still likely survive, and even make it to adulthood. 😇
Indeed. If one is B2 in Spanish he/she would probably pass the Italian A1 test without lessons (I did). My French class was six weeks long when I was only eight years old, yet I somehow managed to check in French pilgrims fifty years later.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back