• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Measles booster

jantzenb99

Time of past OR future Camino
sarria to santiago (2015)
would like to do the whole french way in sept 2019
Has anyone traveling from the US to Spain gotten a measles booster shot?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I can't answer that, but if you have a concern that your immunity is questionable, ask your doctor for an anti-body check.

Spain -and Europe- likely has the same anti-vaccers as North America, so it becomes a crap shoot on exposure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am of that certain age. ā€˜Redā€™ measles at 5.

Check with your doctor. Based on when you were vaccinated or had measles, you may need a booster. Itā€™s cheap and free with many insurance plans. And safe with little risk. I always check with my travel doc when Iā€™m going out of the country for a month or so. For a 100 bucks (the consult isnā€™t covered), she tells me what is going on where Iā€™m going and whether anything needs to be taken care of.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Check with your doctor. Based on when you were vaccinated or had measles, you may need a booster.
I agree, but if you have actually had the measles, no booster is necessary. If you aren't sure if you had them I would get a booster, as it's probably less expensive than the titer test to determine if you have had the measles and are immune.

This article states "Most people born before 1957 were exposed to at least two major measles outbreaks, which confers immunity... Once a person has had the measles, they are immune for life"

This article states "Most people born before 1957 were exposed to at least two major measles outbreaks, which confers immunity... Once a person has had the measles, they are immune for life"

Do you know this website well @trecile ? I'd be slightly wary of a site that has "7 health benefits of dark chocolate" as one of the headline articles on its front page.

Do you know this website well @trecile ? I'd be slightly wary of a site that has "7 health benefits of dark chocolate" as one of the headline articles on its front page.
Same message from a government site
"Natural immunity: those who got sick with measles earlier in life will be immune afterward, and they wonā€™t get it again. "

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Same message from a government site
"Natural immunity: those who got sick with measles earlier in life will be immune afterward, and they wonā€™t get it again. "

Great. Wasn't questioning the message necessarily, just the source.

I was born in 1953, in the US. The establishment presumes you were infected in this, pre vaccination period. I know I had all of these illnesses as a child.

My counsel is that everyone should get the LIVE virus booster shot before ANY international travel. Everyone flying from off-Europe to Europe will be in an aluminum tube for 7 - 20 hours. This is a perfect infection vector.

If in doubt get the shot...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was born in 1953, in the US. The establishment presumes you were infected in this, pre vaccination period. I know I had all of these illnesses as a child.

My counsel is that everyone should get the LIVE virus booster shot before ANY international travel. Everyone flying from off-Europe to Europe will be in an aluminum tube for 7 - 20 hours. This is a perfect infection vector.

I had the titer test done a couple of years ago so that I could enroll in a university course, and since I had had the measles, it showed that I now have immunity.

I had a blood test done and found I had no immunity so I had the vaccination but it is two shots and I had left it too late to have the second before I left as Iā€™m already in Europe. But Dr said 1 was better than none!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
My understanding is that if you have the titration test, and HAVE immunity, you do not need the booster shot.

In my situation it was just s lot faster and easier to get the additional MMR booster inoculation. Each personā€™s situation is different.

Hope this helps.

Heck, thanks to the antivaxxers, we have outbreaks of Metin the US now! The recommendation front the CDC is to get a 2nd booster. I had mine years ago in the military. If youā€™ve only had 1 shot you need a booster. Unless youā€™ve had the disease and know you are immune.
Personally, I stay current on all vaccines.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am a public health nurse in Canada, so very familiar with this issue. Here is a link from Health Canada regarding measles in Europe - https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/98.

Most people born before 1957 do have immunity and would not be eligible for vaccine unless traveling to an area with high risk (Spain is not high risk). If born after that it is still a good idea to get the vaccine. In Canada (and most likely your country) the vaccine actually protects for Measles, Mumps and Rubella, so you get a 3 for one deal (and it is covered by health care where I live).

More important probably is to make sure you have a tetanus booster (within 10 years). The chance of getting a tetanus-prone injury (any dirty wound) is a lot higher than measles exposure. Plus the tetanus booster can include whooping cough, another valuable vaccine to have on board (your childhood whooping cough disease probably did not give you lifetime immunity).

Sorry for the length of the post. Main message - talk to your health care provider about recommended vaccines and other precautions.

I actually agree with the above advice from a professional. In my post I neglected to mention that I DID speak to my GP.

He was the one who said it was a good idea; and that as his practice did not stock the live vaccine, I should source it commercially.

I did, end of story...

I just got one for my trek on the Rota Vicentina this fall. I will carry documentation for that in case a country decides to require it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Iā€™ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, thereā€™s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but Iā€™m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.