• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meat and Vegetable Diet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It depends on your overall dietary scheme. What are your allowed vegetables? If you include root vegetables such as potatoes in your regime, then yes. Just avoid ordering anything with cheese. And choose red wine over beer.

If you are dealing with an underlying carbohydrate intolerance, you'll have less flexibility but will need more information research. Fermented dairy such as cheese does not have the level of carbohydrates that milk does, for instance; whipping cream is also low lactose. If you are eating in restaurants, or cooking for yourself, then you have total control over what's on your plate and whether you eat any of it. If you are eating in a private home, or in a communally-served table, then you have considerably less control and choice.

I managed a ketogenic diet on the Geneva route this summer, by carrying with me low-carb crackers and bars. But the siren song of the pain du chocolate eventually got the better of me. And you may find similarly that the lure of local delicacies overrules your planned diet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Paleo and the Camino have yet to come together. All sorts of fish and meats won’t be a problem (curd, fresh or canned) but veggies are likely to only make ot on your plate of you order an ensalada mixta (tuna and hard boiled eggs as a bonus) or if you buy them and prepare them yourself.

Breakfast will be a challenge, as it is usually yogourt, bread, croissant or chocolate croissant or some magdalena sponge cake. Tortilla de patata can make a nice 2nd breakfast or lunch, but it’s potatoes.

Lunch is ensalada mixta, but also a whole lot of bread witha tiny slice of ham or cheese.

You could: prepare hard boiled eggs, buy some cured meats and/or cans of tuna, sardines or tuna salad mixes. Depending on when you are walking (as is summer heat) you will find gazpacho sold in milk containers. Carry a few babanas, oranges, and nuts. Nuts are easy to find but expensive.

Deserts will also be an issue as they are typically yogourt, nata or flan, so milk based dishes.

Pilgrim menu is typically a pasta dish or ensalada mixta as a first dish, a slab of pork or chicken, fried or panned, served with French fries. If you are ok having your main meal mid afternoon, consider the menu del dia, it may offer better choices.

Ah, and then there is also the revueto that can be a solution: scrambled eggs with mushrooms, ham, shrimp, what have you.

I try to eat a diet of Whole Foods consisting primarily of meat and vegetables, avoiding dairy and carbs. Will I be able to eat this type of diet on the CF? Thanks for any input!
I've noticed that you have duplicate threads on this topic and also the one about traveling to the Camino. Hopefully a moderator will be along to combine them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I can’t figure out how to delete the duplicate posts. I’m still getting the hang of this! How do I get a moderator to delete/combine posts?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes exactly to all of the above.

First camino I didn’t quite understand that vegetables are generally one or more of the options in the first course of the three course pilgrim menu and second course options are largely meat and potatoes.

Second camino I always chose the veg option for the first course. And because I like veg sometimes two first courses instead of a first and second course. My choices varied and some examples are ensalada mixta (includes tuna and egg but also lots of fresh salad stuff), vegetable soup (often cooked in a meat based stock), pureed vegetables, mixed green beans, peas with jamon (yum), asparagus (always canned but usually good), Russian salad (mostly potatoes), or some sort of mixed soup that is mostly veg eg. caldo galago. Some of these options may also be rich in carbs.

Rarely on pilgrim menus but my favourite plate of veg was an order of padrón peppers. Fantastic! One in ten is supposed to be hot. I ordered a plate at every opportunity and never did get a get a hot one. :(

I did once get a platter of veg done on the plancha that was superb but not part of a pilgrim meal and cost a surprising amount.:eek: Also lucky enough to get a plate of cardoons that was first course of a menu del dia rather than a pilgrim menu.

First camino I felt deprived of veg. Second camino I felt like I ate plenty of veg though perhaps not always fresh but I don’t have a problem with frozen or canned.

If feeling the need for fresh veg you can always buy carrots, capsicum, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, olives, nuts, fresh fruit, etc. to munch on along the way. Personally I find an ensalada mixta or a gazpacho for lunch is easier.

It may not be your experience but one of the lessons the camino taught me was that I didn’t always need the things that I had previously believed were essentials in my life. It is only a few weeks after all. :)
Buen camino

Last edited:
I try to eat a diet of Whole Foods consisting primarily of meat and vegetables, avoiding dairy and carbs. Will I be able to eat this type of diet on the CF? Thanks for any input!
Not a problem their are Supermercados in most places......cook at albergues or even better share meals....the pilgrims menu normally 7 Euro may have veg eg lentil soup ....enjoy your Camino. Kr Jim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not a problem their are Supermercados in most places......cook at albergues or even better share meals....the pilgrims menu normally 7 Euro may have veg eg lentil soup ....enjoy your Camino. Kr Jim
@Seamus68, if one is on a meat and veggetable diet then the veg and lentil soup you suggest, as well as most other shared meals, will be an issues, as they are usually carb based in order to keep the price low and ease of cooking.

Paleo and the Camino have yet to come together. All sorts of fish and meats won’t be a problem (curd, fresh or canned) but veggies are likely to only make ot on your plate of you order an ensalada mixta (tuna and hard boiled eggs as a bonus) or if you buy them and prepare them yourself.

Breakfast will be a challenge, as it is usually yogourt, bread, croissant or chocolate croissant or some magdalena sponge cake. Tortilla de patata can make a nice 2nd breakfast or lunch, but it’s potatoes.

Lunch is ensalada mixta, but also a whole lot of bread witha tiny slice of ham or cheese.

You could: prepare hard boiled eggs, buy some cured meats and/or cans of tuna, sardines or tuna salad mixes. Depending on when you are walking (as is summer heat) you will find gazpacho sold in milk containers. Carry a few babanas, oranges, and nuts. Nuts are easy to find but expensive.

Deserts will also be an issue as they are typically yogourt, nata or flan, so milk based dishes.

Pilgrim menu is typically a pasta dish or ensalada mixta as a first dish, a slab of pork or chicken, fried or panned, served with French fries. If you are ok having your main meal mid afternoon, consider the menu del dia, it may offer better choices.

Ah, and then there is also the revueto that can be a solution: scrambled eggs with mushrooms, ham, shrimp, what have you.

Just as a comment here, I have a friend who spent the last month in Portugal and while she cannot eat gluten here in the USA, she was able to eat all the crusty bread and pasta she wanted without any digestive issues. Any ideas about this?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you need to eat between stages bear in mind that bread travels better in a backpack than meat or most vegetables.

...your body just might need the energy you get from carbs.
Fats are also a major source of energy for the body. A ketogenic diet (low carb, moderate protein, high healthy fats) is an excellent diet for endurance athletes. Pemmican, consisting of meats and fats, was used by Native Americans for generations on their migrations across hundreds of miles, mostly on foot.

Of course vegetables are carbs too.
The issue is not whether or not a vegetable has carbs. There are different kinds of carbs - different molecular structures. There are simple sugars, complex carbs, and fiber. The simple sugars are the ones that trigger the most insulin response; but complex carbs also trigger insulin.

There are some excellent books on this subject. One is "Good Calorie, Bad Calorie" by Gary Taubes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just as a comment here, I have a friend who spent the last month in Portugal and while she cannot eat gluten here in the USA, she was able to eat all the crusty bread and pasta she wanted without any digestive issues. Any ideas about this?
Others have also commented on this in the past. Some think it is that there are less additives, others that it is because the grain for the flour in non-GM. We struggle with many flour products at home because of the additives and raising agents used, but on the Camino traditional yeast raised bread/croissants and home made etc are no problem. I cannot comment on the pasta because we only use organic pasta at home, but is GM and additive free - which again might be the reason that we have no problems with it either at home or on the Camino. We are careful with packeted supermarket bread/cakes as a few do have additives in and we avoid buying them.

Hmmm... interesting. I haven't done tests so I'm not sure what exactly is my problem with white flour and oats but I'm 100% sure there is a problem. On my camino I decided to ditch my diet for economic reasons and my face was already visibly puffy on day 2.

If intolerance is the result of monoculture growing (sorry second language, I'm not sure how to say this), it might be possible that strains in USA and Europe are different enough that people can be intolerant to one but can eat the other. Would love to hear if anyone else experienced this.

The meat won't be a problem...
Depends on where. At Hogar Monjardín, it's almost always some kind of meat, lots of veggies, and something starchy¹ (plus salad and dessert). But if a pilgrim lets us know before the cook gets too far along, usually we can arrange for non-dairy, gluten-free, vegetarian, or whatever.

¹But never french fries, for which we frequently get thanked. :)

€83,-
Hmmm... interesting. I haven't done tests so I'm not sure what exactly is my problem with white flour and oats but I'm 100% sure there is a problem. On my camino I decided to ditch my diet for economic reasons and my face was already visibly puffy on day 2.

If intolerance is the result of monoculture growing (sorry second language, I'm not sure how to say this), it might be possible that strains in USA and Europe are different enough that people can be intolerant to one but can eat the other. Would love to hear if anyone else experienced this.

Yes, I too have a friend that is gluten intolerant but said in Europe she has no problem eating local croissants and baguettes etc. I think it could be something to do wtih the strain of wheat and also could be due to chemicals/additives that are unfortunately abundant in North America. :/

I noticed there was a LOT of bread in the diet along the Camino and not much in the way of veggies and fruits. It is served with every meal and often at albergues that is all that is served at breakfast, very hard, crusty bread with butter and jam. I think the best thing to do is to go to the small groceries you will find in most towns. You can buy bagged salads, tomatoes, olives, carrots, bananas, oranges, strawberries etc. And also things like eggs, chorizo etc. And then you can prepare your meal at your albergue provided there is a kitchen. Also I would say the pilgrim menu is a good bet as they usually involve the ensalata mixta or a gazpacho as the first course and then a meat-based second course. It is usually either a filet of chicken, pork or beef fried or some kind of hearty, meat-based stew. The other option I found nice was tapas or pinxos. Many are served on bread but some of them aren't, for example you can get fried mushrooms on the plancha, sardines, padron peppers etc.

I forgot...

1) Dia supermarkets along VDLP had some ready vaccumed packed meals that were quite yummy, and inexpensive, like the ratatouille, calld Pisto in Spain. 2€ for a large portion that could serve 2-3 people.

2) I buy chorizo or chunks of curred ham and carry it wrapped in aluminium paper. Doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Protein, and fat, and salt, on the go. We need the energy and electrolytes, right? ;0)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am very wheat intolerant
Because I don’t drink and can’t eat the volume of food (or bread) in a pilgrim’s meal, I usually didn’t order those
My diet included some Spanish tortilla ( egg, meat, potato and sometimes veggies)but that got old
So I carried breakfast and lunch but it DID involve more fruit than veggies ( needed energy boost for me)
So hard boiled eggs (initially on CF available in small markets already cooked) , scrambled eggs hold the baguette, cheese, sausage, nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, insalata mixta
Dinner was often a bowl of lentil soup (yum) or stew, pulpo, restaurant meat with veggies , blood sausage etc

Interestingly my chronic peripheral edema was almost gone on this diet (and it had never disappeared despite my level of low salt, exercise and non-desk job) and did not flare until I succumbed to a pastries at the very end when I craved carbs and had lost 6.5 kg
I think a meat based diet is quite do able off the pilgrims meals

My diet included some Spanish tortilla ( egg, meat, potato and sometimes veggies)but that got old
Dinner was often a bowl of lentil soup (yum) or stew, pulpo, restaurant meat with veggies , blood sausage etcs

Nanc, I'm a little reluctant to order some of these items because in my country they often put flour to make the food denser. Do You ask when You order what they use?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Remember too, many offer a “half” pilgrim meal at reduced cost with 1 entree, wine dessert bread. Found out by accident so usually have to ask

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not sure
I think it was actually a half menu but some of the places used English
Anyone else know?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.