• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Alert Bracelet

Nancyjr

Time of past OR future Camino
2Xy3sRzrtWJKmuE
I’ve had a medical alert bracelet since I was diagnosed T1 in 2015. I have a pump and am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs. My family doctor urges me to wear one. I have my medical conditions and family emergency contact information engraved on it. EMT will have the important information that could save my life.
IMG_7230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are they recognized worldwide?
Also with language barriers?
I also have a life threatening allergy to penicillin and high sensitivity to sulpha.
These concerns crossed my mind when I walked alone in 2016

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve had a medical alert bracelet since I was diagnosed T1 in 2015. I have a pump and am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs. My family doctor urges me to wear one. I have my medical conditions and family emergency contact information engraved on it. EMT will have the important information that could save my life.
View attachment 50960
I have had two hospital visits spanning 5 Caminos. Each in emergency for the day only. Spanish medical staff were frustrated as I did not have a printed copy of medical history and current medication.
Now carry these details.
BTW the treatment and tests were first class. Just mention “peregrinó “ and they were very attentive as it distinguished me from tourists.
Happymark

No medical conditions but husband a little concerned about me traveling alone - he purchased a nice ID bracelet for me from RoadID - has my name, hometown, his phone number and a second phone number on it in case of an emergency.

No medical conditions but husband a little concerned about me traveling alone - he purchased a nice ID bracelet for me from RoadID - has my name, hometown, his phone number and a second phone number on it in case of an emergency.
Hello Jamieb
Not sure which Camino you will be walking. For what its worth I have seen many solo women walkers and they usually pal up for some stages with another woman or group including women. Ages ranging from early 20s through to 60+. It may be of interest that in 2018 the statistics show more women registered at the pilgrims office than men.
Buen Camino
Happymark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got a metal medical wallet card in Spanish from StickyJ, which is linked to a website where you can enter your information and staff can click a translation button. I've also got a thin silicone bracelet that says "see medical card" in Spanish.

Yes, medical attention in Spain is first class. But do not suppose that every local hospital in little towns is up to date with electronic gizmos. I suggest you go as low tech as possible.
In an emergency situation, paramedics will look for your passport or ID, so they can identify you. If needed, this could be a good place to put a card with written and in Spanish basic medic and contact info.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....... paramedics will look for your passport or ID, so they can identify you. If needed, this could be a good place to put a card with written and in Spanish basic medic and contact info.
I never thought of this until now, but I guess if you’re not on any particular medication and are not allergic to anything, likewise, it would be a good idea to record such information too.

Yes, medical attention in Spain is first class. But do not suppose that every local hospital in little towns is up to date with electronic gizmos. I suggest you go as low tech as possible.
In an emergency situation, paramedics will look for your passport or ID, so they can identify you. If needed, this could be a good place to put a card with written and in Spanish basic medic and contact info.

Just my 5 cents worth here as someone who wears a medic alert bracelet (Epilepsy) and travels internationally quite regularly [...and whose had some medical issues while travelling abroad - most recently in a little town in Germany].
(1) Paramedics and first responders are trained to look for a medic alert bracelet.
(2) Language shouldn't be a problem. The Medic Alert symbol is internationally recognised and should contain the name of the illness (in my case it says "EPILEPSY" quite clearly). It shouldn't be a problem for a first responder to know what that is or quickly Google it to see "Epilepsia".

While my bracelet also gives my ICE details, a good suggestion would be to save your ICE number on your own phone under ICE. I have had difficulties before when someone trying to reach my ICE was ignored because they were dialling from a number that was not recognized and therefore not taken by my ICE.

On a more general note always try to name an ICE who doesn't travel with you. [Husbands/Wives take note!] In the case of emergency, you wouldn't want someone trying to call the person sitting next to you (and presumably in the same mess you are!).

View attachment 50960
I have my medical info on one side and my ICE contacts on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_151425057.jpg
    IMG_20190718_151425057.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.