• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Care in Sahagun

palmah

Time of past OR future Camino
We’re in Ledigos tonight going to Sahagun tomorrow. When I took my socks off today there was blood at the base of my big toenail and it looks like a big blister has developed under the nail. I put a gel toe cap on it but I’m afraid the whole nail will come off when I take the gel cap off. Oh yes, I stubbed it pretty hard 3 days ago. Any words of advice? Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK- so I am an RN in the US. I suggest you clean it WELL - soap, water, hydrogen peroxide - take a close look or have someone else look at the toe. Is is a water blister or a blood blister? Blood blisters are more prone to infection than water blisters.
Are you diabetic or do you have cardiac disease? If so, see a medical professional. If not, after careful cleaning, apply antibiotic ointment and wrap or apply antib ointment under gel cap.
You MUST keep it clean and dry. Dress it 3x/day for a couple of days, then twice for another day or two. If any signs of infection (reddness, swelling, discharge, increased pain, fever, etc,) emerge see an MD immediately.
Yes you will likely lose your toenail.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
T
OK- so I am an RN in the US. I suggest you clean it WELL - soap, water, hydrogen peroxide - take a close look or have someone else look at the toe. Is is a water blister or a blood blister? Blood blisters are more prone to infection than water blisters.
Are you diabetic or do you have cardiac disease? If so, see a medical professional. If not, after careful cleaning, apply antibiotic ointment and wrap or apply antib ointment under gel cap.
You MUST keep it clean and dry. Dress it 3x/day for a couple of days, then twice for another day or two. If any signs of infection (reddness, swelling, discharge, increased pain, fever, etc,) emerge see an MD immediately.
Yes you will likely lose your toenail.
Thanks Marksa. It appears to be a water blister. I applied an ointment and then put the gel cap on. Now I’m afraid to take the gel cap off😟 for fear the mail will come off too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Start with the pharmacy and ask for recommendations for topical treatment, they can also direct you to the closest clinic.
Thanks K, that’s a good place to start.
There is a fine public health medical clinic in downtown Sahagun, just beyond the Plaza Mayor. Walk right in and tell them what's going on. You might have to wait a little while if they are busy, but they are good doctors and accustomed to treating pilgrim ailments.
Thank you so much! We may stop by and visit the Peaceable Kingdom on our way to Sahagun tomorrow.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went to the urgent care. I don’t know if I was taken care of by a nurse or doctor but she drained it, put iodine on it and wrapped loosely with gauze. She was appalled by the gel cap I had put on it and said the toe has to be uncovered for the next 3 days. We bought some sandals for me to walk in so we’ll see how it goes. I’ve cut the big toe off of my injinji toe socks. At least the nail hasn’t fallen off! Thanks for all the comments and advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.