• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical conditions

Philla

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Just wondering if anyone has walked the camino after having heart/kidney transplant new hip knee or having suffered a stroke or heart attack or any other medical conditions ? (Not bunions or verrucas)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have allergies to antibiotics, local anaesthetics, antihistamines, pain relief. I'm talking anaphylaxis. I wear a medic alert necklace with vital information inside.
Whenever I go overseas, (particularly each, of two Caminos because so rural and I only speak limited Spanish, and there for weeks at a time) I also take a printed translation re allergies, medic alert etc in the languages of any countries (stopover cities on route also). I had copy in a waterproof plastic bag, in my backpack, and with my passport and in 2011, my partner also carried a copy in his pack. Luckily I've never had to use it.
Also, 2015 my partner and I walked to raise awareness about young people diagnosed with Dementia because he was diagnosed in his 50s. He became unwell with chest infection but I was cautious about what 'complimentary' products to give him in the early days, that I could feel confident wouldn't be contraindicated with his medication. I took a copy of his scripts with us, and I had enough Spanish to ask pharmacist in Astorga (and showing scripts) if he could take something that I carried for me. The pharmacist got online and brought up the product, in English explaining the concerns that she had. So language wasn't a barrier in a potentially serious situation.

Just wondering if anyone has walked the camino after having heart/kidney transplant new hip knee or having suffered a stroke or heart attack or any other medical conditions ? (Not bunions or verrucas)
Interesting question @Philla I trust that you yourself do not tick too many of those boxes. The answer is yes, lots. And you can add cancer, bereavement and heart-break to your list just from stories that have been posted in the last couple of weeks.

Me I walk with a partial occlusion of the anterior artery of the heart; a +/-1 cm displacement in my sacroiliac and a tendency to grumpiness possibly attributable to nagging sciatic pain. But then I spend my life with these conditions so how could I walk the camino without them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Philla

There are numerous stories of people and various members of this forum that have walked the camino with various medical conditions.

These include pilgrims recovering from recent heart attacks, and dealing with other heart conditions, or serious respiratory conditions and recent survivors of cancers.

Or those with recent hip and/or knee replacements, or worse waiting for hip or knee replacements, and bad backs or back injuries, to those with diabetes, celiac disease, etc.

And finally those with Parkinson's, and those confined to wheel chairs, and those that need mobility assistance, etc.

I have had heart bi-pass surgery and my wife had her knee replaced last year. We have had very little physical issues on our training hikes other than the normal aches and pains of hiking 20-25K and being in our 60's.

Hoping to do my first Camino in September and feeling a bit unsure if i can actually walk 15 mile plus for 30 odd days so when fellow pilgrims say they have walked it with this and that ailment it gives me encouragment in if they have the courage and guts to do it why not me ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
feeling a bit unsure if i can actually walk 15 mile plus for 30 odd days
Don't wait to be on the Camino to find out!! Work your way up on the distance and successive days to see how you do. If you cannot reach your fifteen mile goal for three days on a long weekend, you may be over-matched by the Camino. I suggest that it is a good idea not to discover anything new on the Camino except scenery, people, and food. There should be no equipment, footwear, or endurance discoveries. ;)

Hoping to do my first Camino in September and feeling a bit unsure if i can actually walk 15 mile plus for 30 odd days so when fellow pilgrims say they have walked it with this and that ailment it gives me encouragment in if they have the courage and guts to do it why not me ?
I know at this point I cannot walk 15 mile days for 3 days, and possibly never will be able to do so. SO.... I am planning a Camino with more days and shorter walks, and will see what happens. Maybe I will get stronger, maybe not. SO I am skipping the Pyrenees, planning days of about 15K, and hoping to enjoy the experience.

good for you girl;);)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know at this point I cannot walk 15 mile days for 3 days, and possibly never will be able to do so. SO.... I am planning a Camino with more days and shorter walks, and will see what happens. Maybe I will get stronger, maybe not. SO I am skipping the Pyrenees, planning days of about 15K, and hoping to enjoy the experience.

I trained to 13 miles but my downfall was I didn't train on hills! It felt like Spain was all uphill-- Once we started our pilgrimage , I couldn't walk more than 8 hours. We walked from Sarria to SdC. Our luggage went ahead of us, so that meant we had to go 13 miles to get to our hotel... It took me 4 taxis and a bus-- but I made it!
Next year I'm training for hills, but more than that we will take 10 days to leisurely walk that same distance and enjoy the sights more without the help of taxis!

Hi all I start my camino on 26th April from sjpp. I am an insulin depentant diabetic since 1971. It will certainly be a challenge for me.I am taking all my meds with me and I have to ensure I have lots of food on me at all times. My younger brother who was also a diabetic passed away in Spain some years ago whilst we were on holiday so for me it's a pilgrimage in his memory so it will be quite an emotional time. I am determined to conquer the camino. If u see a man with a grey osprey pack wobbling about don't forget to help!!! I have trained plenty in the mountains of Wales were I live doing lots of mountain walking and descents .Don't know how my body will hold up but I intend to take rest days if I need them.
Buen camino to all from Franco

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back