• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Help in Spain

expmrw

Time of past OR future Camino
GR65(2008)Camino Frances(2011)both(2013

Hoping for Del Norte in 2018
I have seen previous questions about medical help in Spain. I have twice needed to seek medical help while walking a camino and can re-assure pilgrims that the help was there and was first class. First in Burgos, for an infection needing antibiotics, where there is an excellent medical centre. Go to the desk dedicated to foreigners and sign in. The system was quick and efficient though in my case the Dr spoke only Spanish - so be prepared with a dictionary. There is a pharmacy directly opposite where you can collect - and pay for - the prescription. The second time was, on another walk, in a country village. The Dr was on her visiting round but as soon as she came in the local who were waiting ushered me in first! Was it my cough or were they just being very hospitable? Again, excellent service and a local pharmacy had the drugs. I have heard other stories of the helpfulness of the service available.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pilgrims from EU countries will find your comments both reassuring and informative. That said, as I am from the USA my experience, initially, was not pleasant. I was told I could not access assistance until I prepaid a fee (E60).
This was just for a consultation three days later. Being obvious I was a foreign pilgrim and prior to my departing without succor, I was stopped by a nurse that overheard the discussion. She mentioned that, she to, was a pilgrim and would help me. I was told to go up to the third floor (elevators are a wonderful thing) and see Dr. *. On the door opening, I entered a waiting room packed with people. I found the Dr's office and received fantastic treatment along the same lines as above. Sometimes the Camino Angels appear when one is most in need.
Buen Camino,

Arn

Medical help: I was walking the del Norte in September and unfortunately about 5km from Castro Urdiales I tripped on a concrete spill on a tarmacadam by-road and fell helplessly onto my face and hand. I had a very bad cut on my face, between my eyes and broke two fingers badly. I was fortunate that I was walking with my partner who speaks some Spanish and there were two Spanish pilgrims just behind us. They rushed to help me, called an ambulance and were very kind to me. The ambulance arrived in 20 mins and we were taken to Laredo. The ambulance men were very good and very kind, did not speak English but our Spanish angels translated for us. At the hospital I gave my passport and E111 card to the ambulance man and I filled in one form and that was that. My passport and card were returned and no further documents or monies were required. The hospital staff were fantastic, kind,caring and efficient. I received 10 stitches to my face, very neat and hopefully my scar will fade quickly, has done quite a bit already. My broken fingers were x-rayed and set and pain meds were given to me for the following days. The lovely nurse called the Covento Buen Pastor in Laredo for us and arranged accommodation for us. The whole episode took only two hours. I can not put into words how wonderful the staff in the hospital and ambulance were. The nurses that took care of me spoke very good English, I'm certain that the hospital ensured that language would not be a barrier for me.
I had to return home as the Doctor explained that my fingers may need surgery , so unfortunately we had to go home early. I did not need surgery but my fingers had to remain in a cast. My experience of medical aid in Spain was fantastic, efficient, professional and caring. All the staff that we met ensured that a very upsetting experience was made bearable and less traumatic for us.
To my Spanish angels, fellow pilgrims on the way, thank you so much for helping us, for picking me up , calling the ambulance, telling them our location, helping my partner explain and for your best wishes. I will keep you in prayers always.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have seen previous questions about medical help in Spain. I have twice needed to seek medical help while walking a camino and can re-assure pilgrims that the help was there and was first class. First in Burgos, for an infection needing antibiotics, where there is an excellent medical centre. Go to the desk dedicated to foreigners and sign in. The system was quick and efficient though in my case the Dr spoke only Spanish - so be prepared with a dictionary. There is a pharmacy directly opposite where you can collect - and pay for - the prescription. The second time was, on another walk, in a country village. The Dr was on her visiting round but as soon as she came in the local who were waiting ushered me in first! Was it my cough or were they just being very hospitable? Again, excellent service and a local pharmacy had the drugs. I have heard other stories of the helpfulness of the service available.
May I ask, DID you have to pay for the medical help you sought out in Spain, or did you bring extra health insurance and then get reimbursed when you returned home? Thanks!

Hi Julie, while I am not @expmrw, I sought care in Spain and am from the US. At the ER I was seen by paramedics and not charged, although I offered to pay (they had me see the paramedics first for a foot problem)...so they did not charge when I wasn't treated. I did get antibiotics for a different reason at another time at a pharmacy, and paid (it was not worth trying to deal with insurance later). My regular insurance would have covered medical expenses in Spain, reimbursing me for costs I paid (I checked before travel) but I also took out travel medical insurance that covered medical care and provided English translation services and doctor location if necessary...i took that out because it covered hospitalization, medical evacuation back to the US to a location of my choice even if not strictly medically required, and more importantly, repatriation of my body--since I'm in the medical field I was fine with dealing with my own care overseas, but didn't want my family to have to figure out how to get my body back (or me in a coma) should something happen...

Last edited:
Hi Julie, while I am not @expmrw, I sought care in Spain and am from the US. At the ER I was seen by paramedics and not charged, although I offered to pay (they had me see the paramedics first for a foot problem)...so they did not charge when I wasn't treated. I did get antibiotics for a different reason at another time at a pharmacy, and paid (it was not worth trying to deal with insurance later). My regular insurance would have covered medical expenses in Spain, reimbursing me for costs I paid (I checked before travel) but I also took out travel medical insurance that covered medical care and provided English translation services and doctor location if necessary...i took that out because it covered hospitalization, medical evacuation back to the US to a location of my choice even if not strictly medically required, and more importantly, repatriation of my body--since I'm in the medical field I was fine with dealing with my own care overseas, but didn't want my family to have to figure out how to get my body back (or me in a coma) should something happen...
Thanks for that response, it is good advice! I think my credit card covers overseas medical insurance but will check first, and it only covers up to two weeks anyway. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2015 My wife and I travelled the Camino Frances , then walked to Muxia, Finisterra, and back to SDC. We then decided to walk the Primitivo . About 30 Kim's from Oviedo my wife developed shin splints requiring medical attention and anti inflamitoties not available over the counter.
It took some time at the clinic as the Dr was away on house calls. Having said that the Dr was very professional and spoke some English. Even though we had extensive travel insurance in the end the Dr advised there would be no charge for the visit nor the ice wraps she provided. Just another example of how beautiful and caring the Spanish people are.

Travel Insurance is complicated in most cases . What type did you buy ?

Travel Insurance is complicated in most cases . What type did you buy ?
at the risk of being reprimanded for endorsing a service (and in fairness though I chose them I luckily did not need their services) I used https://medjetassist.com/classic-medical-transport for its service of returning me or my body to the place my family would choose if death/coma happened.
I knew I could handle small medical issues on my own, and tricare would cover some costs if I needed more than I was willing to pay out of pocket (filing once returned). I started by calling tricare first to find out what they would cover, then looking online primarily for medical transport/return of remains services. Probably could find something cheaper, but I didn't think about getting my body back until shortly before I left.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just the normal Canadian CAA Travel ins. Five million coverage no deductible it's about four hundred dollars for 21 days , two adults age 50 and 55

Just FYI update. I sought care in Burgosfor severe bronchitis and a host of complications. I paid 74e for the visit at the time.
This week I received a bill by registered mail from the Junta Castille de Leon for 74e for the consultation.

KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!

I have mailed back a copy of the bill and my receipt by registered mail. Only pain is the $18 the mailing cost me

Someone recently posted on another thread the astronomical cost of air ambulance home from Spain, which it sounds luckily was covered by insurance. I would recommend that everyone consider insurance that covers this--the further home is from Spain, the more essential. If something so life-altering happens that you must be returned home via air ambulance, your life (and those of loved ones) will already be stressed beyond belief. You don't want to add the cost of flying you home (easily tens of thousands) to the stressors.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello. I have really good health insurance here in the states and just assumed it would cover me and my daughter overseas. I think I'll call them to double check that after reading your post. Did you go through your insurance company for the extra added insurance? I don't even k know where to begin looking for this as I've never been out of the country for such an extended period of time (except Ireland, but I lived there for several years). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello. I have really good health insurance here in the states and just assumed it would cover me and my daughter overseas. I think I'll call them to double check that after reading your post. Did you go through your insurance company for the extra added insurance? I don't even k know where to begin looking for this as I've never been out of the country for such an extended period of time (except Ireland, but I lived there for several years). Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm from the states and my policy covers me for emergencies but not for emergency medical evacuation. Plus I found out that I would have to get all my documents translated before I could submit a claim an be reimbursed. I ended buying a policy from www.insurancefortrips.com for a couple bucks a day. I called them up and spoke to a live person. I feel confident if I were need to use the insurance, that I would get help.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.