• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical Insurance for US citizens

Glamma

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020
Can I please have the names of some of the best overseas travel insurance policies while walking the Camino Santiago? Anything special to look for in the policy? Deductibles? Exclusions? I am looking to start the walk mid April. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For information specifically related to insurance and the Coronavirus - please go to that thread here

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really can't speak too much to your situation. I am a very close neighbour (2 miles or so north of the 49th) and travel insurance rates triple for me if I am going to wander south of the 49th. I suspect you have to do your own due diligence. Medical costs in Spain are very reasonable (24 hours in a Spanish hospital with all the tests and overnight stay etc cost less than $400 Cdn...I know.:)) Given the current health concerns re: corvid-19, you will have to read the fine print very carefully. I suspect even the usual 'safe bet' insurers have written various clauses to permit a bit of weaseling.

I always use InsureMyTrip.com to compare and purchase travel insurance. Many policies will waive pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within a couple of weeks of making the first payment towards the trip.

Granted, the game is different currently what with the Corona virus, but I have always used Travelex
Do compare with other companies
As many suggested read the small print
Good luck 👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my last Camino I chose Travelex insurance. My primary health insurance does cover me while I'm abroad, but I always want to have insurance for costs over and above what they will pay, plus repatriation insurance. I did have a claim last year, and Travelex was very easy to work with, and paid 100% of the costs that my primary insurance did not pay.

Also, many insurance companies offer "cancel for any reason" insurance for an additional price. With the coronavirus still a large unknown, probably a good thing for many to consider.

Generally, you really need to focus on the big ticket items like medical transport back to your home or repatriation of your remains in case of death. Small emergencies may be coverable out-of-pocket, but a medical flight home is bank-busting.

i always use SquareMouth to compare policies Between multiple companies based on my specific needs.

Square mouth and insure my trip are both good aggregates of travel insurance. I’ve used several comps over the years. This year we’re going to Egypt in June and we ended up buying Travel Insured again. High coverages and yes, they do cover quarantines. I bought it back in November And quarantine situations weren’t even on my radar :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are eligible, USAA offers a good insurance for the Camino.

Along with the other suggestions, make sure that if your are ill for more than seven days the insurance will pay to have a relative join you in Spain

Buen Camino Bob

Can I please have the names of some of the best overseas travel insurance policies while walking the Camino Santiago? Anything special to look for in the policy? Deductibles? Exclusions? I am looking to start the walk mid April. Thanks!
We got ours through AAA here in the USA.

try DAN.com

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are eligible, USAA offers a good insurance for the Camino.

Along with the other suggestions, make sure that if your are ill for more than seven days the insurance will pay to have a relative join you in Spain

Buen Camino Bob
Is USAA offering their own coverage now? I have a memory of checking with them some years ago and they contracted with Travelguard.

Is USAA offering their own coverage now? I have a memory of checking with them some years ago and they contracted with Travelguard.
I checked USAA for our October trip and it was actually supplied by at least one other company.

I used Seven Corners for our trips to Spain. We got reimbursed for some medical bills incurred on our 2015 camino. I couldn't believe how easy it was (though the two bills were relatively small).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I checked USAA for our October trip and it was actually supplied by at least one other company.

I used Seven Corners for our trips to Spain. We got reimbursed for some medical bills incurred on our 2015 camino. I couldn't believe how easy it was (though the two bills were relatively small).
Thanks, Rick and Peg. I'll go to the USAA website and see what I can find. You've reminded me that things change, and I need to keep up with other possibilities!

Generally, you really need to focus on the big ticket items like medical transport back to your home or repatriation of your remains in case of death. Small emergencies may be coverable out-of-pocket, but a medical flight home is bank-busting.

i always use SquareMouth to compare policies Between multiple companies based on my specific needs.
Big ticket items also include medical coverage. My wife was recently hospitalized for 10 days in Switzerland. Without travel insurance, we would have been out of pocket for $11,000+ in medical expenses plus lodging and additional car rental expenses for me. Unfortunately, things happen. Don't assume a serious illness won't happen to you overseas. Itravelinsured covered nearly all of our expenses including airline change fees. Don't skimp on travel insurance to save a few dollars!

I always use InsureMyTrip.com to compare and purchase travel insurance. Many policies will waive pre-existing conditions if the insurance is purchased within a couple of weeks of making the first payment towards the trip.

Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Big ticket items also include medical coverage. My wife was recently hospitalized for 10 days in Switzerland. Without travel insurance, we would have been out of pocket for $11,000+ in medical expenses plus lodging and additional car rental expenses for me. Unfortunately, things happen. Don't assume a serious illness won't happen to you overseas. Itravelinsured covered nearly all of our expenses including airline change fees. Don't skimp on travel insurance to save a few dollars!
Thank you for this info!

Thank you for this helpful info!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.