• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical issues, short distance per day, pension and transfer questions

Aussiemum3

Time of past OR future Camino
French
My daughter (20) and I (52) are planning to do the French Camino from mid to late October 2020. We will be leaving from Leon and taking about 30'days. We're planning roughly 15 kms per day and staying a few double days in places.

We both have a couple of medical issues - I have fibromyalgia and my daughter has a bad spine, which doesn't affect her functioning and she's an avid bush walker or trekker, but she's not allowed to carry weight on her back and needs to protect it (desiccation and spinal cord outside her spinal,column in lower back).

Does anyone know if pensions or private rooms are available at this time. I need to rest and sleep a few hours in the afternoon and would like a bit of privacy. And for my fellow pilgrims, I snore like an avalanche (so much so that my husband I have seperate bedrooms). The occasional alberque will be fine, but overall we'd prefer something private.

In terms of transporting luggage, will they do these short 15 kilometre trips to small towns? And how reliable are they.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You both will have no problems finding suitable private rooms .
Take a look at these links.

Gronze gives you an idea about all kind of lodgings.

Regarding transport luggage : neither a problem I believe. Although I did not use them personally.

All the best with your planning.

Last edited:
Thanks Sabine, we've been using the first link to work out distances, but didn't know about the second one - it looks fabulous for our accomodation planning.

I know we're planning a ridiculously long time ahead, but we need to see if it's physically feasible before we start saving and for me getting a bit fitter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum!

I had to have my pack delivered very short distances several times due to injury. More than once it was only to the next town, as that was as far as I was able to walk. Sometimes my pack was already there waiting, other times it took a while. So just be aware that your clean clothes, toiletries, etc., may take a while to show up. 😉 But they will get there and the transport services are highly reliable.

As for accomodations, a good source to start with is gronze.com. It lists the whole range of accomodation types, albergue to 5-star hotel, and is arranged in chronological sequence along the camino.

I did the beginning of the Francés and the end of the Francés in October (different years, with the middle in the spring🤷‍♀️) and found it a lovely time to walk. The crowds are beginning to thin down, the weather was good and everything was open. Although by the end of the month some accommodations may start closing, most are still open, especially as this time of year becomes more and more popular.

Planning is half the fun. Enjoy!

Thanks Bala, that's really good to hear about your experiences and we'll take on your advice.

We have chosen October as my daughter finishes university on October 16th. We also live in a colder climate area in Australia (yeah they do exist 😜) and so think it won't be too hard weather wise for us - the heat would be worse.

Hi,

When I felt that I needed to book ahead, I used the Booking.com iPhone app, or the website, onlyPilgrims.com. Quite often private albergues will have separate private single or double rooms, and these will be shown as options in both onlyPilgrims and Booking.com.
The only caveat is booking.com tends to list lodging that may be in the area, but not necessarily on the Camino, so it pays to be careful when booking.
Contacting the lodging directly can be productive also, if it seems to be booked up on the online sites.

Best of luck with your planning

All the best,
Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Paul, I'll download the pilgrim ap and will take your advice and ring ahead.

I like the idea of staying in an alberque in a private room, best of both worlds.

Buen Camino! Many alberges also offer private rooms the non-junta albergues are open quite early so should not really be a problem for an early stop. You snore like an alvalanche? Is that worse than a sawmill? Worried about the noise? You have 20-30-40 pilgrims sleeping in a room - the noises generated are myriad and often amazing...and sometimes as are the odors. Most pilgrims are so tired they drop off even before the 2200 lights out in an albergue - your snoring will not be problem. The worse bit for me are those who rise at 0430-0500 stumbletumping about in the dark, headlights flashing, as they rish-roush the stuffing of plastic bags into their backpacks before setting out for an early start. I consider myself an easy going sort of a person, do not harbor a grudge but at 0430 I have had some interesting thoughts verging on...lets call it karma can't think of a better word...concerning such pilgrims.

Thanks Paul, I'll download the pilgrim ap and will take your advice and ring ahead.

I like the idea of staying in an alberque in a private room, best of both worlds.

Please note that Only Pilgrims is a website, but not an app, at least not yet, so far as I know.
It has an option to book in English, and can take a little getting used to, but I found it invaluable for booking when I was doing my planning, especially for smaller villages or alternatives to municipal albergues.

Regards,
Paul

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When using booking.com cross check the accommodation with Gronze.com to see how close to the Camino it is.

You can use Correos, the Spanish post office for luggage transfer.

Thanks for your kind words scruffy1. And I think the walls probably shake when I snore, so a lot of karma settled on a night spent with me for the early risers.

For me personally though, I spend 3 to 4 hours in bed (and asleep) every afternoon to manage my pain. This isn't even negotiable - otherwise it becomes 2 day bedridden. It's more this time I could do with some privacy, not necessarily all the time, but most would be great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's a great idea tercile to cross check. And I'll checkout Correos.

And please take the time to book directly with the accomodation. Bookingsites make too much profit and it is the kiling of small family hotel businesses. On my last Camino we booked directly and the price difference is staggering!

Do not worry if your Spanish is too limited. Hostales/ pensiones will be happy to call the colleagues for the next day on your behalf!

Thanks for your kind words scruffy1. And I think the walls probably shake when I snore, so a lot of karma settled on a night spent with me for the early risers.

For me personally though, I spend 3 to 4 hours in bed (and asleep) every afternoon to manage my pain. This isn't even negotiable - otherwise it becomes 2 day bedridden. It's more this time I could do with some privacy, not necessarily all the time, but most would be great.
Private albergues with a private room are the answer - they are often open from 1200 offering refuge from the pain or an overly delightful lunch!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes agree SapineP, it's amazing how much money the booking sites make. and booking direct applies as well in our home countries as well.

Thanks for the tip about language too, as this will be my first holiday without my husband, who is European and a master at several languages and seems to understand the rest for holiday travel.

Hi I'm doing it with my wife in April /May 2020, I too have fibromyalgia also 52 years old ill let you know how i get on with the fibro doing it, we are doing the full Camino from SJPDP hopefully! but you have brought up some good points i should look into good luck.

Correos has a great inexpensive baggage delivery service. There baggage service ends on November 1st for most of the Camino. However, If you are as far as O cebriero...They will deliver luggage to Santiago the entire year.

Usually, they deliver the luggage to the check-in area. Some towns have no establishments with lifts...but normally the staff will help you get the bag up the stairs if you need assistance.

Thank Jimliz83, I'd be really interested to hear how you go and any tips you might have.

My husband is quite worried, but I'm trying to reassure him (and me) that 15 km days, with rest days already planned, loads of pain meds and my usual 3 to 4 hours in bed should hopefully ward off big flares. If worse comes to worse, I could get a taxi for a few kilometres one or two days.

But ultimately, part of my doing this is to not let fibromyalgia define me or stop me living a free and fulfilling life.

I would love to do the whole Camino one day, but restrictions around when we leave (the day my daughter finishes uni and before she starts career) are managing our time.

Thanks Marbe2. I've just checked our dates and don't think we'll make O cebreiro by November 1st. Do you know of another company that does transfer throughout the year.

Great to hear they help with luggage, as my daughter is not meant to carry or lift weights, so I'll be sure to ask as it will save both of us. She looks so fit and healthy, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I very rarely make reservations but I can tell you that I also use Gronze.com as it is a great source for albergues, hostels etc. and as importantly reviews. I checked out the Only Pilgrim website and they seem to be very light on the number of places to stay. I would recommend getting either the Wise Pilgrim or the Buen Camino app as they both have lots more choices than Only Pilgrim. If your Spanish is ok you can always call the albergue or hostel. This can really come in handy if you try to book on Booking.com and it shows that a hostel is sold out. It may be sold out on Booking but there may be rooms at the hotel if you call directly.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My daughter (20) and I (52) are planning to do the French Camino from mid to late October 2020. We will be leaving from Leon and taking about 30'days. We're planning roughly 15 kms per day and staying a few double days in places.

We both have a couple of medical issues - I have fibromyalgia and my daughter has a bad spine, which doesn't affect her functioning and she's an avid bush walker or trekker, but she's not allowed to carry weight on her back and needs to protect it (desiccation and spinal cord outside her spinal,column in lower back).

Does anyone know if pensions or private rooms are available at this time. I need to rest and sleep a few hours in the afternoon and would like a bit of privacy. And for my fellow pilgrims, I snore like an avalanche (so much so that my husband I have seperate bedrooms). The occasional alberque will be fine, but overall we'd prefer something private.

In terms of transporting luggage, will they do these short 15 kilometre trips to small towns? And how reliable are they.
Look at booking.com to see all that is available.

Private rooms can be problematic, but you you will find a baggage shipping service almost everywhere. The cost is about 10 euros each day. I will be hiking the Camino for the 3rd time to celebrate my 75th birthday and have attached my daily schedule for you. It is based upon my previous Caminos and I have set daily goals much like yours. I know the terrain and albergues. I hope it is helpful. Buen Camino. Harry

Attachments

• 2020 CAMINO SCHEDULE.pdf
    209.2 KB · Views: 56
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks It56ny, that's quite handy. We'l be just booking day ahead I think as we will need to for transfers and also as going into November many places are closed. I'll download apps you suggested.

I have absolutely no Spanish skills at all, but will chance ringing just in case we can communicate enough for a booking.

Thanks Marbe2. I've just checked our dates and don't think we'll make O cebreiro by November 1st. Do you know of another company that does transfer throughout the year.

Great to hear they help with luggage, as my daughter is not meant to carry or lift weights, so I'll be sure to ask as it will save both of us. She looks so fit and healthy, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong.

Caminofacil.net only goes to October 27th. However they will quote you a private delivery price. Expect it to be in the 20 euro a per day ange per bag.

Another option would be to use the Correos services for paq peregrino. This service allows you can send a bag ahead..but you need three days before they guarantee arrival at the local post where you would have to pick up the bag. Probably not practical for your situation. Do read through this site, however.

Paq Mochilla is the service that sends the bag ahead daily to your next Albergue or hotel. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/rucksack-transfer

Correos is great because you can get a flat rate...between Leon and Santiago....no matter how many stops you make.

So if you need transfer services, my suggestion is to leave a bit earlier and arrive in OCebriero by Oct. 31... or be prepared to pay for those extra days by private service with caminofacil.net for around 20 euros a day or more. Good Luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Marbe2, I think we'll have to use the other service for a few days before we arrive in O cebreiro.
Unfortunately we are restricted of when we can leave home due to my daughter's final university exams - which then obviously affects when we start the Camino. We will be leaving home the day after final exam.

Thanks Marbe2, I think we'll have to use the other service for a few days before we arrive in O cebreiro.
Unfortunately we are restricted of when we can leave home due to my daughter's final university exams - which then obviously affects when we start the Camino. We will be leaving home the day after final exam.

Have a safe and blessed camino!

I leave in 5 weeks for my first Camino. I've had 38 surgeries, more than I count were on my brain and spine. I have a permanent 3 lb/1.36 kg weight restriction. It's been interesting preparing for this! I sleep 2-3 hours a day but never really know if it'll be at night or during the day. I hope my journey will help me learn to let go a bit and trust more that things will be ok.

I will update while I'm there next month, and hope it will be helpful somehow.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I leave in 5 weeks for my first Camino. I've had 38 surgeries, more than I count were on my brain and spine. I have a permanent 3 lb/1.36 kg weight restriction. It's been interesting preparing for this! I sleep 2-3 hours a day but never really know if it'll be at night or during the day. I hope my journey will help me learn to let go a bit and trust more that things will be ok, somehow.

May it all go well for you and be everything you hope for. Buen Camino. 👍😊

I leave in 5 weeks for my first Camino. I've had 38 surgeries, more than I count were on my brain and spine. I have a permanent 3 lb/1.36 kg weight restriction. It's been interesting preparing for this! I sleep 2-3 hours a day but never really know if it'll be at night or during the day. I hope my journey will help me learn to let go a bit and trust more that things will be ok.

I'll look forward to the updates. I hope it all goes well for you and that you'll trust more things will be ok. I also don't want to be defined by my illness, and just want to do something amazing like this so that it doesn't rule my life.

Thanks It56ny, that's quite handy. We'l be just booking day ahead I think as we will need to for transfers and also as going into November many places are closed. I'll download apps you suggested.

I have absolutely no Spanish skills at all, but will chance ringing just in case we can communicate enough for a booking.

If you prepare a brief sentence or two (and use an Australian accent!!), saying that you will need (e.g.) two rooms for tomorrow night, and asking the price, this will solve most of your problems. As well, your innkeeper will often be happy to call ahead for you. I have used Correos happily, but if it is not available, try Jacotrans, or your innkeeper will be able to fix something up for you. If worst comes to worst -- and it rarely does-- the innkeeper (or barman, at a pinch) can arrange a taxi to take your bags.

Taking it slowly is very useful advice for anyone. The Camino is tough (it's supposed to be tough-- it's a pilgrimage), but there is much to enjoy along the way and speed does not help.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back