• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical issues

Dino Muric

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi everyone!
My name is Dino, I'm 19.
I had a knee injury last year in 2015. I dislocated my knee (Patela), tore a ligament and had a fracture on both of my meniscus. Of course, through medical help, I'm better. The knee only hurts when the weather changes.
I hike 12-15km every weekend and I didn't have any problems. Will I have any problems on the Camino, which I plan to hike in 2018?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome to the forum @Dino Muric !

The only person that can answer that question is your doctor. But if you are already able to hike 12-15km (with or without backpack?) chances are good that with a bit of care and planning you can walk the Camino. Here a few tips:

• Keep backpack weight to the absolute minimum and consider using luggage transport, at least from time to time.
  • Use walking sticks, especially downhill.
  • Plan in enough of time to avoid feeling rushed and overdoing things.
  • If time is a problem, start closer to Santiago.

Buen Camino, SY

Hi everyone!
My name is Dino, I'm 19.
I had a knee injury last year in 2015. I dislocated my knee (Patela), tore a ligament and had a fracture on both of my meniscus. Of course, through medical help, I'm better. The knee only hurts when the weather changes.
I hike 12-15km every weekend and I didn't have any problems. Will I have any problems on the Camino, which I plan to hike in 2018?

that of course is an answer best given by your doctor...what you might do is print out the distances and elevation changes that will occur on your chosen route (gronze.com can provide that info) and discuss with your doctor or physical therapist.
I imagine you were given exercises or a brace or both...ask them if they think you should continue/use them
You might find hiking poles helpful on the downs...I met a 21 year old in Puente la Reina who had bought a pair in Pamplona and guarded them as his most important piece of gear. it all depends
I'm glad youve recovered from your injury (sounds very serious)...and Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone!
My name is Dino, I'm 19.
As you know, our crystal balls aren't any better than yours! :p However, I think you should be optimistic, and continue your training over the year ahead. Walk everywhere you can. I know this seems to take up a lot of time, but it is one of the the healthiest thing you can do, not only as training for the Camino. Gradually lengthen the walks to 20 and 25 km, and also do 2 days in a row.

The advice to carry no more than about 7 kg and to take walking poles is very important. Everyone will say to practice with them at home. Even if you don't do that, take them with you. Good luck!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is a good start! Just increase distance/weight slowly-slowly over time and always in consultation with your doctor and/or physiotherapist. Buen Camino, SY

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.