• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical or Physio sought

P Rat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino VDLP/Sanábres April 2019
Camino Mozárabe when we can again...(2021?)
My husband has developed a very sore lower shin on one leg. We think medical or physiotherapy assesment would be helpful. Does anyone know of one such in Galisteo or Carcabossa? TIA, Patty

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Am yet unfamiliar with the route and have a very tenuous connection to wifi so cannot research availability.

At the moment, I propose getting ice on the shin then asking the farmacia or hospitalero as to the nearest 'Centro de salud' or physio.

B

Am yet unfamiliar with the route and have a very tenuous connection to wifi so cannot research availability.

At the moment, I propose getting ice on the shin then asking the farmacia or hospitalero as to the nearest 'Centro de salud' or physio.

B
Great advise, will certainly do that! Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My husband has developed a very sore lower shin on one leg. We think medical or physiotherapy assesment would be helpful. Does anyone know of one such in Galisteo or Carcabossa? TIA, Patty

Please get your husband assessed before walking very far. Two cases I wanted to tell you about include a friend and my brother in law. The friend was outside of Porto and decided he’d keep walking on his swollen shin until he got to medical help; that was 22 miles later. He ended up making it much worse and couldn’t get healed without quitting and staying off of his feet for 4/6 weeks. On the other hand, my brother in law sought care on Frances and iced/rested for 5 days. He could complete his Camino. But he went to a clinic on the first day his leg swelled.

Thanks all, we have taken a taxi to Galisteo where we are fortunate enough to be able to stay 2 nights. Hubby resting with a swaddled foot (by the doctor in Cañaveral) and we’ll keep him there tomorrow too. Unless we can see a physio or a dr. Dr blamed the boots but don’t think it is as he always wears boots...walking, work and leisure often too. We really hope it can get better as we were enjoying this Camino so much!
Alternatively we can become (don’t judge 😉) bicigrinos....
Need to be in Madrid 1 May for a small family reunion before continuing (hopefully) our Camino again.
🤞 fingers crossed
Px🐘

Good luck! Rest does wonders. I recommend keeping it elevated as well! The old RICE recipe comes to mind. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saw a physio twice now and have the all clear to continue. Carrying the boots for a few days but minor issue. Thanks for all the advice, hasta luego
P

Quite a few albergues have voluteer Physios or someone with a similar skill - ask around for further treatment along the way. Like all the other advice given , REST!! and take it easy

B
Try a cream called Fiseocrema at farmacia.
Rest needed
I know a great physio but in Santiago itself.
These folk fixed my leg - had the same problem. Fisiogal in General Pardinas 22.24
Planta Baja
Santiago de C
Best of luck

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Try a cream called Fiseocrema at farmacia.
Rest needed
I know a great physio but in Santiago itself.
These folk fixed my leg - had the same problem. Fisiogal in General Pardinas 22.24
Planta Baja
Santiago de C
Best of luck
Thanks Pat. If we still need one then (or heaven forbid, again) will look them up. Walked 2 days now taking it super slow and icing. So far so good.

Thanks all, we have taken a taxi to Galisteo where we are fortunate enough to be able to stay 2 nights. Hubby resting with a swaddled foot (by the doctor in Cañaveral) and we’ll keep him there tomorrow too. Unless we can see a physio or a dr. Dr blamed the boots but don’t think it is as he always wears boots...walking, work and leisure often too. We really hope it can get better as we were enjoying this Camino so much!
Need to be in Madrid 1 May for a small family reunion before continuing (hopefully) our Camino again.
🤞 fingers crossed
Px🐘
Fingers crossed for you. Good to get advice and rest leg.
I changed from boots to Merrell walking shoes and have been a happy bunny ever since!
Think about changing. I got my Merrells in Leon. Cost a bit but worth every cent.
I saw a health centre when we were on the Last bit of the Portugues.They were great. Gave me an injection to get me to Padron but I got a scary bill of around $200 after I got home which travel insurance paid. Luckily.
Easier for EU citizens.
No judgement on the Camino. We are all just doing our own Caminos. Whatever they bring🙏🙏😊

Really painful shin splints hit me a couple of hours before Valenca on the Portuguese. First time in my life I've ever felt anything like that. Next day I was referred by the tourist office to physical therapy, then on their advice, took 2 days off before I walked again. The Physio and the rest break took care of the problem, but I hedged my bet by having my pack shipped each day for about a week. I think this made all the difference, and I was able to complete the walk to SdC, and on to Finisterre. Strongly recommend pack shipping if you're recovering from foot/leg problems.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
🤞 fingers crossed
Px🐘
It's a great safe Camino to cycle. Very very pleasant and allows you more time to visit some gorgeous cities.
Just finished it on a rented bike

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.