• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical power of attorney for health care and directive to physicians

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
In 1997 I drew up a Medical Power of Attorney for Health Care and a Directive to Physicians related to end of life decisions. Does anyone know how a situation in which there is a solo traveler unable to communicate about medical treatment is treated in Spain? The chances are slim that I would ever need it but do you travel with copies of these documents?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would leave all my important information with family at home, and carry a card that says "in case of emergency, please notify..." in Spanish as well as native language.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The law of the country you are in will determine the outcome - in many cases a document such as you describe has no legal affect but only an indication of wishes. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Spanish law could tell us. If the document is of no effect there is no point in worrying.
But for my future modelling career, I'd have a tattoo on my chest ("DNR" - do not resuscitate).

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looks like I won't have to get that tattoo after all. Voluntades anticipadas o testamento vital are 2 related terms in Spanish that I found.

Buenos dias. I can speak, read, and write in Spanish, and based on the article you just need to have the Testamento Vital, which is a document prepared by you and notarized. As per the article, the law in Spain is that the doctor must comply when the Testamento Vital is presented. The best thing to do is to check with the nearest Spanish embassy or consulate to see how this law applies to non-citizens and visitors.

Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Igualmente, @sailor. Thank you for your suggestion. Eres muy amable. I just sent an email requesting information from the Spanish Consulate in Houston, Texas. It was a simple email but I tried my hand at writing in Spanish, with a little help from the internet.

By the way, my understanding is that the "DNR" tattoos are not observed/enforced by US medical personnel. And even if you have the correct DNR form for your state, properly and completely prepared, hanging by your bed, if Emergency Services ("9-1-1") is called to the house then you will get resuscitated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Kitsambler , my most recent experience has been with my father's passing and due to a worsening chronic condition he was vehement that he did not not want any heroic measures. So I was highly motivated to find out what we would need when the time of his end came.

My research result is that if a person has a cardiac arrest at home and is not on hospice, 911 is called. A document called an Out of Hospital Do Not Resuscitate must be present or CPR will be given. I'm not sure but I think each state has its own form. Through a home health social worker we were able to have Dad sign one here in Texas. Soon Dad was on hospice care, so we called the hospice nurse at the end.

Last edited:
Based on this conversation I took a look at my "VA Advance Directive, Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Living Will" -- my document needed revision. I have updated the information using VA form 10-0137 (this form is for veterans), will place a copy in my VA Medical Record and keep the original with my important documents. Gracias Ricitos, usted ha sido un faro en medio de mi tempestad.

@sailor, no hay de que. This is not an easy topic and one I explored mainly because I was nudged by a couple of family members who I have to thank. I'm glad you got your papers in order.

The person I talked to at the consulate has not given me a definitive answer yet. If I don't get an answer before I leave in 4 weeks, I'll download a form used in Spain from the following website and follow the instructions for filling it out and hope for the best:
http://www.eutanasia.ws/testamento_vital.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I get no pay from them so I hope I'm not violating forum rules, but I wear an interactive Road ID (google 'road id') on marathons/hiking, and for Spain bought a new one, entering instructions/allergies in Spanish. It has website/phone info so emts/md can call/log in. You can upload living will, medical history, meds, family contacts. Sometimes you wallet may not be found with you...

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back