• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

medical travel insurance for Canadians?

nathanael

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Plata,
any suggestions for Canadians? I have found that medical health insurance is very expensive this year to travel. I am 78 years old and no conditions and healthy, for 45 days they want over 600.00+

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try the CAA…..we‘re both over 60 and have just purchased an annual out of province and overseas medical only travel policy with unlimited trips for around $500 Cdn……. Good luck !

Max length of overseas trips in policy is 35 days but if you are planning a longer one, you just call in advance to advise them and possibly pay a small supplement for the extra days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I paid $298.95 for 49 days with SoNomad for travel to Spain this spring. The underwriter is very well rated and I am 66 years with no conditions. Worth getting a quote from them. That includes trip cancellation insurance not just medical.

any suggestions for Canadians? I have found that medical health insurance is very expensive this year to travel. I am 78 years old and no conditions and healthy, for 45 days they want over 600.00+
Call around and get prices for what you need, last few trips I’ve used Tugo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Call around and get prices for what you need, last few trips I’ve used Tugo, though previously I have gone through Costco.

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims, offers to its members a link to an insurance company with our members in mind. As a Canadian it's a great organization to belong to. Membership can be annual or lifetime. Go to santiago.ca
You can get your credential as well as your camino badge. Lots of info re planning your Camino and local chapter support and activities.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use Manulife, cost is 10% of trip, I don’t think there is an age or duration maximum, is comprehensive insurance.

I too use the Snowbirds and/or Medipac - I believe both are underwritten by Manulife

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went with RBC as it's my bank and my CC has some travel coverage in 2021. I think it was around $400 for 70 days. It did not have Covid insurance, but did cover everything else - hospital, flight changes, luggage and repatriating my body if needed. I expect to pay more this year. I'd rather pay the money and not need to use the insurance than have an issue and have to pay even more.

I was wondering about others thoughts on the use of your Credit Card insurance initially...

I have a BMO World Elite and the travel and medical coverage ($2M+) comes when I use the card (which I did for flights etc. I

It last 4 weeks. It is underwritten by Allianz Global and the coverage looks very good

When that runs out I was going to buy supplemental insurance (thru Medipac or somewhere else)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Canadian Company of Pilgrims, offers to its members a link to an insurance company with our members in mind. As a Canadian it's a great organization to belong to. Membership can be annual or lifetime. Go to santiago.ca
You can get your credential as well as your camino badge. Lots of info re planning your Camino and local chapter support and activities.
Through one of the Canadians on the Forum who suggested Allianz, I received a great deal for my medical Insurance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks . Presently shopping and I had never heard of this outfit. That makes me a little nervous but will look into them.
I did a thorough research before committing as I did not know about them either. Read all the fine print of both trip cancellation and medical insurance policies and researched the viability and credibility of the company and its’ underwriters. This insurance is too important to get it wrong. Buen Camino. I hand no doubt you will find the right policy for you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.