• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical waste/ sharps containers along CF?

AlexanderAZ

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 (Sept/Oct): CF: SJPdP-->Fisterra-->Muxia (solo)
2019 (late Sept): CF: SJPdP-->Leon (honeymoon!)
Does anyone know where to access "Sharps containers" for disposal of medical waste (syringe/needles) along CF from SJPdP? Are they available in all albergues? Standard in all hotels? I am unfamiliar with protocols in Spain insofar as this issue. For those who don't know what I'm referring to here is a pic of one (which is on wall at my gym)...

IMG_5173.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have never seen any, not even in airports.

What might work is if you keep your used needles in a case that closes well and take them to medical clinics when you are in a larger town/village, or perhaps even to farmacias. Those can be found anywhere.

As Anemone suggested the pharmacies would be the best place to dispose them as they are in many cases right on the Camino (Frances). Same as her I haven't seen any disposable containers. Anywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is not practical to bring a plethora of extra containers to deposit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Alexander, it might be interesting to mail a pharmacy in Spain. Here in Belgian pharmacies you can buy specific containers for medical syringes. Seeing how professional the Spanish pharmacies are and well stocked they might sell them too. So you could use one small container on the Camino and deposit the content in the bigger one when in a town with a pharmacy.

I have the mail adress of a friendly pharmacist in Sahagun who helped me very well with some of my meds issues.

Just put the cap back on the needle, keep safe f.e. in an outside pocket of your backpack and deposit it at the next pharmacy you walk by. No need for you to carry a container. Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always take a few needles for blister treatment .
One time use only. After using back in the smal container and leave it at the pharmacie .
Wish you well,Peter.

Attachments

• 20170706_164910.jpg
    20170706_164910.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanks. I'm not new to medical waste/sharps containers as I've used a myriad of different styles. I'm going to carry 2 containers, 1 used and 1 unused. I would like to empty the *contents* of the used along the way, not the entire container. That was my original question, where to do so. Carrying multiple containers where I would be depositing content AND container along the way is not practical.

Thanks. I'm not new to medical waste/sharps containers as I've used a myriad of different styles. I'm going to carry 2 containers, 1 used and 1 unused. I would like to empty the *contents* of the used along the way, not the entire container. That was my original question, where to do so. Carrying multiple containers where I would be depositing content AND container along the way is not practical.

So yes, no problem to empty the contents on the way at a local pharmacy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Amazon link you posted above is a single use container (unable to be reused or emptied along route).

If you could tell us how big the daily content would be of your specific container ?
Don't worry too much.

Spain is a highly developed country with one of the best medical care facilities I have ever seen. And with more than knowledgeable pharmacists.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Amazon link you posted above is a single use container (unable to be reused or emptied along route).
Well, i thought I had read the instructions and it mentioned how it can fit a number of needles and how to open it. I assumed that made it reusable. I appologise if it is not.

After walking CF-Fisterra-Muxia last fall I will take time to answer my own question for anyone else who peruses through this post wanting the same answers I did. I did not find any albergues that had obvious medical waste containers but it was easy enough to drop used syringes/needles at many of the pharmacias, particularly in the larger cities as well as *any* health center along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.