• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical - where to get ice?

mwendt

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2022)
Camino Finisterre (2023)
Wondering what is the availability of ice to treat any sore muscles, aches, sprains, etc. Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can ask for ice, however, may only get a glassful at a restaurant or bar. We met a pilgrim who was using ice for an injury and who carried a ziplock bag for that purpose.
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Try a supermarket. Some have bags of ice in the freezer.
If no ice for sale in the freezer a bag of frozen peas will do.

Also in sports stores or
any pharmacy you can buy a cold pack of prepared chemical elements which gives you instant cold without ice. See this page of French examples from Decathlon.

Last edited:
And, finally, on any petrol station they should sell whole bags of it!
You can buy a gel pack that you can keep in a freezer for one or two hours and reuse time after time (however, AVOID direct contact with the skin, it is a good idea to wrap the frozen componentes in some cloth)

And, finally, on any petrol station they should sell whole bags of it!
You can buy a gel pack that you can keep in a freezer for one or two hours and reuse time after time (however, AVOID direct contact with the skin, it is a good idea to wrap the frozen componentes in some cloth)

Absolutely! Use an extra cloth for protection. I fell asleep with a cold pack directly on my knee. Result : a horrid coldblister!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wondering what is the availability of ice to treat any sore muscles, aches, sprains, etc. Thank you
Once we got some ice asking a restorant ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought frozen peas from market when tore my ligaments 4 weeks ago. 20 minutes on foot then back in freezer. After 2 weeks of daily treatment several times a day I then devoured the peas! Better than melted ice.

A friend of mine would get an ice cream—put it on your ache, then eat it! Also, my last Camino, I brought one of those reusable ice bags—when I asked for ice and showed them my ice bag, every cafe I asked at was super helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.