• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medication question

Time of past OR future Camino
I am on an injectable medication. However it is not administered via auto-injector. It comes in vials and must be drawn up into a syringe each time. I use "insulin syringes" for this purpose. In the USA the syringes can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy.
Is this the case in Spain as well? If not, can I carry the syringes into the country with me. I would prefer not to carry them all with me due to the bulk, though I am resigned to carrying all of the serum with me. The glass vials may be a little heavier, but they are a bit less bulky.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I too am on an injectable medication. However it is not administered via auto-injector. It comes in vials and must be drawn up into a syringe each time. I use "insulin syringes" for this purpose. In the USA the syringes can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy.
Is this the case in Spain as well? If not, can I carry the syringes into the country with me. I would prefer not to carry them all with me due to the bulk, though I am resigned to carrying all of the serum with me. The glass vials may be a little heavier, but they are a bit less bulky.
I don't have the answer regarding Spain - I would assume the answer is probably yes - but I don't know if there are extra requirements to obtain them.

But to the plane question... yes, you can bring medical supplies including syringes on the plane when you are also carrying the injectable medication. You do have to declare it when going through security checkpoints. I recommend you carry a copy of a prescription/medication pharmacy label so there is no confusion. They also recommend, but do not require, that medications be labelled (pharmacy label is sufficient. I often remove medications from their boxes - and I either cut out the medication label and bring it with - or ask for an extra label from the pharmacy and put it on the zip lock or other container that I keep medication in. Again - helps avoid confusion. I keep anything that I have to "declare" at the security checkpoint in a clear ziplock bag so I can easily remove it from the bag for inspection and the security folks can see what is in the bag without opening it up.

If you have a prescription for the syringes in the US, Spanish pharmacies will fill it. Pharmacies are everywhere, just look for the green cross, ususally in flashing neon.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't have the answer regarding Spain - I would assume the answer is probably yes - but I don't know if there are extra requirements to obtain them.

But to the plane question... yes, you can bring medical supplies including syringes on the plane when you are also carrying the injectable medication. You do have to declare it when going through security checkpoints. I recommend you carry a copy of a prescription/medication pharmacy label so there is no confusion. They also recommend, but do not require, that medications be labelled (pharmacy label is sufficient. I often remove medications from their boxes - and I either cut out the medication label and bring it with - or ask for an extra label from the pharmacy and put it on the zip lock or other container that I keep medication in. Again - helps avoid confusion. I keep anything that I have to "declare" at the security checkpoint in a clear ziplock bag so I can easily remove it from the bag for inspection and the security folks can see what is in the bag without opening it up.
I am bringing medication that falls into the protected class, I'm not sure if syringes would fall into this, but, I contacted the appropriate arm of the Spanish Government to declare. It was a multiple email conversation that I think I actually was having with two different people. In the end, it came down to number of units. Under a certain number I needed a letter from physician on letterhead, medication in original containers with all appropriate info on the label, and copies of the actual prescriptions, bundled together. I added to this the printed email conversation. If over the number of units for any specific medication, all of the afore mentioned plus an application for a certificate that I guess I would also carry.

Here is who I was communicating with including the email address:

Área de Estupefacientes y Psicótropos
Departamento de Inspección y Control de Medicamentos

Pharmaceutical Inspection and Enforcement Department
Agencia Española de Medicamentos y Productos Sanitarios (AEMPS)
Calle Campezo 1 • Edificio 8 • E-28022 Madrid • España/Spain
' Tel: (+34) 918225201
6 Fax: (+34) 918225370
* estupefacientes@aemps.es
@ www.aemps.gob.es
I am on an injectable medication. However it is not administered via auto-injector. It comes in vials and must be drawn up into a syringe each time. I use "insulin syringes" for this purpose. In the USA the syringes can be purchased over the counter at any pharmacy.

Pharmacies in Spain are selling syringes on their online stores (here's one example). That means they're available over the counter.

Here's my experience with two EU trips from the USA, I'm hoping it's the same this time around. I use a Schedule III controlled substance that is doctor prescribed. It is shelf stable, so no refrigeration needed. However, I cannot go more than a week without it and that's pushing it. My regular schedule is every 2 days using an insulin syringe.

I carry double what I need and keep it separate in my luggage. In this case, one 2-month supply in my carry on and a second in my main pack. The carry on supply is drawn up into individual syringes and used as needed, safely disposing the used syringes at the soonest opportunity. I've had no problem with sterility over a 1-month trip. I'm hoping that this will remain so after 2 months with careful handling. I keep the drawn up syringes in a large pencil box that securely snaps shut.

The backup supply is a partially used labeled vial of the drug, enough for 2 months. I'm pretty sure insulin syringes are readily available at most pharmacies in the EU, just as they are here in the USA. I hope not to need the backup vial, but it's a security blanket for me so I don't have to cut my trip short.

I also have a photo of the original outer package on my phone with the prescribing doctor and pharmacy information in case there are ever any questions. In my two EU trips and numerous USA trips, I've never had anyone in the airport question me brining the pre-loaded syringes on the plane or going through customs in the EU. I do not declare it or bring special attention to it, as it is a legally prescribed medication.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the US, you can also buy sharps online, but have to have a prescription for sharps. I order them for Nursing School practice and need a provider's name on file to get them. I would ask for a prescription from your provider, just in case. It is possible you can take that to the pharmacia and perhaps if you cannot get them over the counter they can help you make an appt to get the prescription approved by a Spanish provider. Another lengthy thread about prescriptions in Spain here.

In the US, you can also buy sharps online, but have to have a prescription for sharps.
Actually, the laws vary by state. In California you do not need a prescription to purchase insulin syringes (one-piece syringe/needle). I know many other states are the same, but don't have list of which states regulate them differently. I'm very interested in hearing from folks about their experience in Spain. This could potentially impact my backup plan. I was not planning on bringing empty sterile syringes.

In the US, you can also buy sharps online, but have to have a prescription for sharps. I order them for Nursing School practice and need a provider's name on file to get them. I would ask for a prescription from your provider, just in case. It is possible you can take that to the pharmacia and perhaps if you cannot get them over the counter they can help you make an appt to get the prescription approved by a Spanish provider. Another lengthy thread about prescriptions in Spain here.
In Washington State one does not need a prescription for syringes. One only needs a script if their insurance covers them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carried my insulin and needles with me. Some in a small day pack for the plane travel, the rest in my main pack. I also had a letter from my doctor stating that I was diabetic with a list of all my medications. I carried the letter with me at all times. I was asked for evidence twice at airports, once when leaving Australia and again at our stopover in Dubai. Both times were fine once I showed them the letter. I carried enough insulin with me for the duration of the trip but I probably didn't need to as the pharmacies were excellent. Buen Camino.

I was asked for evidence twice at airports, once when leaving Australia and again at our stopover in Dubai.
Interesting! Very different than my experience, but I've never traveled to Australia or Dubai. What "evidence" did you need to provide? Do you think a copy of the prescription label be sufficient? I do not have a letter from my doctor.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, thus far, it sounds like no one has tried to purchase syringes at a pharmacy in Spain?
That seems to be the case. Thanks for the original post, It made me rethink my packing strategy. I now plan to pack the pre-loaded syringes in my carry on and a supply of empty syringes in my luggage with the reserve supply for 'just in case' situations.

Interesting! Very different than my experience, but I've never traveled to Australia or Dubai. What "evidence" did you need to provide? Do you think a copy of the prescription label be sufficient? I do not have a letter from my doctor.
Although I had my prescriptions with me, the only evidence I used was the letter from my doctor but yes, I think copies of prescriptions would suffice. The pharmacies are first rate so you shouldn't have any problems getting support should you need it.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.