• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medications

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
I'm taking 45 days, start to finish, to walk the French Way starting in mid April. I'm 66, in good health but require medications several times a day. 45 days of medication is bulky to say the least. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on how and where I can forward and pick up my medications about half way to Santiago. Does the Spanish postal service offer General Delivery service. Should I mail half from the states or from Madrid. Do I need to hire a donkey to carry it. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depending on the meds you use you can purchase your meds in Spain and many of them without a script. I am on heart meds and I can get all of them over the counter in Spain, you could bring as many as you are comfortable with and then purchase more at the larger towns.
Buen Camino.

I'm taking 45 days, start to finish, to walk the French Way starting in mid April. I'm 66, in good health but require medications several times a day. 45 days of medication is bulky to say the least. My question is, does anyone have a suggestion on how and where I can forward and pick up my medications about half way to Santiago. Does the Spanish postal service offer General Delivery service. Should I mail half from the states or from Madrid. Do I need to hire a donkey to carry it. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Depending on the type of meds sending them from the States to Spain might not be an option because "import regulations" for meds have been tightened lately here in Europe. You need to check with your closest embassy about the current state of things there. Also, again depending on type of meds, you might need a (translated) letter from your doctor explaining why you need them and that you import them solely for your own needs. For sending them ahead inside Spain Poste Restante is your friend. The Spanish Post Office holds such parcels ~2 weeks for you to pick up. Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Spain is a lot cheaper for meds too, you could find yourself stocking up and bringing some home..... Make sure you have the proper names of the meds not just the brand names

Happy Trails
I take four different meds and my wife and I walked last fall and I just carried the stuff. Kept it in a ziplock and put the pills into two different containers. After all they are meds and you really don't want to worry about if the next shipment will be there, although I am sure it would.

Depending on the type of meds sending them from the States to Spain might not be an option because "import regulations" for meds have been tightened lately here in Europe. You need to check with your closest embassy about the current state of things there. Also, again depending on type of meds, you might need a (translated) letter from your doctor explaining why you need them and that you import them solely for your own needs. For sending them ahead inside Spain Poste Restante is your friend. The Spanish Post Office holds such parcels ~2 weeks for you to pick up. Buen Camino, SY
@SYates.... I was surprised at medicine costs in Spain. Just like the costs for trains and buses. I couldn't believe it initially. Little wonder Spain is such a blessed country (or am I being biased ?? :) :) )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The ziplock bag is my trick, chuck the boxes but rubber band them separately then put together in the bag in your pack, leaving one bubble strip of each out for daily use in a smaller bag handy in your wash kit. Not heavy and you'll never know its there until you need to dig them out for a reboot.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We travel a lot and I have to take about 6 pills in the morning and 4 at night. I always carry my meds in zip lock dosage bags marked morning and night. I am sure Spain will be easier to replace them if necessary. Having traveled in third world countries which is different having to go through an embassy to have them ship in is hard. That is why they are always with me.

Unless you are taking something seriously chunky, or bulky, I can't see what the issue is with a 45 day supply. The amount you are carrying will diminish on a daily basis. I carry up to 60 days supply of 4 different medications. It all squashes down into one small pouch. I ditch the packaging but carry a letter from my GP.

As has been stated generic and branded pharmaceuticals are easily available in Spain. Frequently without prescription. Carrying a letter, and a notarised translation, from your doctor stating your condition(s) and needs should cover it should you need to obtain supplies.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unless you are taking something seriously chunky, or bulky, I can't see what the issue is with a 45 day supply. The amount you are carrying will diminish on a daily basis. I carry up to 60 days supply of 4 different medications. It all squashes down into one small pouch. I ditch the packaging but carry a letter from my GP.

As has been stated generic and branded pharmaceuticals are easily available in Spain. Frequently without prescription. Carrying a letter, and a notarised translation, from your doctor stating your condition(s) and needs should cover it should you need to obtain supplies.
Thanks for the advice. One of my meds is quite bulky but the doctor has given his blessing on cutting back the dosage for the Camino but still bulky. I always carry a list of my meds but I will be sure to include all the generic names too. I don't like mixing my meds for travel but the Camino is an exception. I think I'll put all the AM meds in one container and the PM meds in another and the bulky ones in their own bottles and carry a weekly dispenser. Buen Camino

In addition to multiple pills daily, I have to use powdered protein to supplement my diet. The protein comes in individual packets. So, I bundle a week's worth of packets (21) in a ziplock bag. Then I mail one of two of these to post offices along the way, to myself, care of Poste Restante. The instructions are elsewhere in this forum.

The Correos will hold these small parcels for at least 15 calendar days. There is an urban myth that they will hold parcels for up to 30 days if you write PEREGRINO in cap letters under your TO address. However, I have not tempted fate this way, yet. I usually mail these boxes ahead to friend's homes, or hotels I plan to stay at. I have not yet had a problem. I do NOT mail stuff from the US, I mail them from the first post office in Spain.

My need for protein powder adds a half kilo weight penalty per week to my packed load. So, a month's supply is two kilos or about 4.5 pounds. That is a lot. I try to keep the carried amount to two week's worth and mail the balance ahead. Also remember to send some to Ivar at Santiago. He will hold parcels for six months for a nominal charge. Check it out here, under "Services in Santiago by Ivar."

I hope this helps.

I as well had 2lbs of meds I packed. Once there any of the pharmacias had my heart meds & way cheaper I just had my home pharmacy give me paper labels in case I lost the bottle, I also take a horse pill for stones. So as long as you can show the label they can fill it. So the next time I will only take half that weight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I regularly mailed things to myself c/o Lista de Correos (general delivery) for the ninety days I travelled around Spain. Never once was a package lost or damaged. I LOVE Spain's mail system. Pick a city/town that's around 10-12 days ahead (in case you are delayed, they only hold it two weeks). Use the Lista address in the destination town as the return address as well just in case, but don't trust it to save you--get to the post office before 14 days are over. Use large city post offices if possible (better hours) and be sure you arrive on a work day. I wouldn't count on getting meds refilled in Spain. Sometimes that doesn't work.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back