• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medicines on the Camino Frances

Willimpia

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino Francés, start from Vezelay in april 2017. As far as it takes me.
Hallo,

I want to start my Camino from Vezelay in april 2017 (walked earlier from Holland to that place), do not walk very fast so it can take me about 3 months away from home. I have to use quite a lot of medicines and I do not want to take it for such a long time, moreover there will be also medicines that I cannot keep in the heat. I thougt of asking my doctor to sent a recipe to a French or Spanish pharmacy when I need them, so I can pick them at the pharmacy over there. Is there anybody else who has the experience with this, is it working or is there another way?

Thanks in advance, and anyway a buen Camino for everybody!
Willy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just take a prescription with you, to be filled along the way. If your medication is not a common one, you will likely only be able to buy it in larger centres. For medicine which needs to be kept cooled, most albergues or inns will keep it overnight in their refrigerators for you, and your gelpack in the freezer, so that the medicine can be kept cool during the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just take a prescription with you, to be filled along the way. If your medication is not a common one, you will likely only be able to buy it in larger centres. For medicine which needs to be kept cooled, most albergues or inns will keep it overnight in their refrigerators for you, and your gelpack in the freezer, so that the medicine can be kept cool during the day.

Besides having a prescrption it also might be practical to ask your doctor for a letter briefly explaining your medical condition and what has been prescribed.
Thank you! Yes, I always take that with me when I travel, I also use the app on my iPhone with my healt information, it is very useful too!

Thank you very much, I did not think it would be so easy, is it your own experience?

Besides having a prescrption it also might be practical to ask your doctor for a letter briefly explaining your medical condition and what has been prescribed.

I have long suggested to pilgrims that, should they have a serious condition, their doctor should write up the diagnosis and protocol which the pilgrim can get translated by a professional medical translator. Should, for example, they face an urgent situation with respect to their condition, this document could save much valuable time and help avoid medical error.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You may want to contact your health & travel insurance about this too.

The European Medical Passport (Med1pas) has the size of a credit card, and contains your medical data with automatic translation into 6 languages.

Last edited:
You may want to contact your health & travel insurance about this too.

The European Medical Passport (Med1pas) has the size of a credit card, and contains your medical data with automatic translation into 6 languages.
Thanks, I always take a letter from my doctor when I travel, but I did not knew that Medipas you are talking about. On the internet I found a Dutch Medipas but it is not a certification that you are allowed to take the Medicines with you and it has no translations. Or do you mean the European Health insurance card, that incudes no information as far as I know. Can you tell me more about which card you are talking about?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you doctor give a molecular description (generic names I think?) of your medicine too. In case they don't have the brand you ask, they'll be able to give you a other one.
Maybe you can ask him too if there isn't a similar medication that don't need cooling? Otherwise, survival blankets or thermal bags stuffed in the middle of your bag can help keep low temperature during the day.

full

Thanks, I always take a letter from my doctor when I travel, but I did not knew that Medipas you are talking about. On the internet I found a Dutch Medipas but it is not a certification that you are allowed to take the Medicines with you and it has no translations. Or do you mean the European Health insurance card, that incudes no information as far as I know. Can you tell me more about which card you are talking about?

https://www.europeesmedischpaspoort.nl/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another, often unexplored refigertation idea is the local police station. If the albergue does not have available refrigeration, and there isa nearby police station, you can ask there. I have known Type 1 diabetic pilgrims who have used this option with success.

I hope this helps.

I took my prescription list with me, in English. My Spanish is non existent. I had no problems getting any of my medicines from a Spanish pharmacy . I didn't need a doctors prescription and the price was very reasonable. I am diabetic and have a thyroid problem. I unfortunately did not take enough medication so I had to do this. Was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.

I took my prescription list with me, in English. My Spanish is non existent. I had no problems getting any of my medicines from a Spanish pharmacy . I didn't need a doctors prescription and the price was very reasonable. I am diabetic and have a thyroid problem. I unfortunately did not take enough medication so I had to do this. Was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.
Thanks for the information. I think it depends wich medication you need? But your message is pleasantly surprising me too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another, often unexplored refigertation idea is the local police station. If the albergue does not have available refrigeration, and there isa nearby police station, you can ask there. I have known Type 1 diabetic pilgrims who have used this option with success.

I hope this helps.
Thank you very much, you all gave me enough ideas to walk with (or without) medicines. Good to have Camino-amigos!

Fortunately for me, my physician is fluent in "Medical Spanish." (One of the advantages to living in Southern California!) Yep, I'll be carrying copies of the prescriptions AND the "doctor's note".

Is there a source that defines, for Spain, which medications can be purchased without a prescription? Mine are all pretty common, so I anticipate no difficulties locating them.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.