• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medieval Monuments on the Camino(s)

peregrina2000

Staff member
Javier posted a link to a list of someone’s idea of the 13 most important medieval monuments on the Camino.
https://es.aleteia.org/2018/12/14/13-imponentes-edificios-medievales-en-el-camino-de-santiago/
Pictures shown in a slide show by clicking.

Only two are on the Francés, Frómista and San Isidoro in León. Well, 3 if you count Eunate, which is a km or so off the Francés, but on the Aragonés.

Here´s the breakdown for the other caminos, but Aragonés wins! Yet another reason to go. And yet another reason to shake your head in disbelief when you see how the numbers are declining on the Aragonés.

Aragonés (4) — San Juan de la Peña, Sangüesa, Leyre (actually you have to take an alternative to get here), Eunate
Catalán (2) — Loarre, Huesca
Norte (1) —Santillana
Sanabrés (1) —Zamora
Madrid (1) — Vera Cruz (on the Camino,outside Segovia)
Lana (1) — Santo Domingo de Silos (also on the “enhanced” version of the Camino San Olav)
Castellano-Aragonés (1) — Santo Domingo in Soria

I know this is very subjective, and many would disagree that those are the “top13”, but IMO all are special and well worth a stop. So maybe your list of Caminos to walk just got a little longer. ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Castellano-Aragonés (1) — Santo Domingo in Soria
The church, as shown in the slideshow, did not strike me as particularly medieval, let alone as a remarkable example of Romanesque architecture, and Chrome's View Source and Wikipedia quickly told me that what is shown is not the Iglesia de Santo Domingo in Soria, Spain, but actually the Iglesia de Santo Domingo in La Serena, Chile, built in the Colonial style. 🤓

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_Santo_Domingo_(La_Serena)

Iglesia de Santo Domingo.jpeg

The church, as shown in the slideshow, did not strike me as particularly medieval, let alone as a remarkable example of Romanesque architecture, and Chrome's View Source and Wikipedia quickly told me that what is shown is not the Iglesia de Santo Domingo in Soria, Spain, but actually the Iglesia de Santo Domingo in La Serena, Chile, built in the Colonial style. 🤓

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_Santo_Domingo_(La_Serena)

View attachment 49910
So, I wish I could say I put that there just to see if our super-sleuth-par-excellence could find the mistake, but I can’t, unfortunately. ;) Kathar1na, how many times have you kept me honest?! The truth is, though, that when I was looking at that church supposedly in Soria, I thought, wow, someone thinks that’s a more beautiful monument than San Juan de Duero. But I thought, hey, they’re the experts, they must know! BTW, Kathar1na, you would LOVE the Camino Castellano-Aragonés, just sayin’.

BUT.. just to be fair to the authors of this article, there actually IS a romanesque Santo Domingo church in Soria. http://www.sorianitelaimaginas.com/patrimonio/iglesia-de-santo-domingo-soria-capital

Attachments

• 543F0551-52EC-406E-8764-E2C7C0C27668.jpeg
    543F0551-52EC-406E-8764-E2C7C0C27668.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • A73362B4-ECAD-4920-A905-E98315E412D6.jpeg
    A73362B4-ECAD-4920-A905-E98315E412D6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • BDEE1357-E1DD-4F8E-ABAE-10AF927169F3.jpeg
    BDEE1357-E1DD-4F8E-ABAE-10AF927169F3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, and IS remarkable :). Here's some more: https://www.arteguias.com/iglesia/santodomingosoria.htm. I would LOVE to see it.

Soria is probably the most undeservedly under-visited, under-rated small city in Spain. I was SO glad I took a rest day there when I walked the Castellano-Aragonés. Great little museum on Numancia and other parts of Sorian antiquity, a very nice Plaza Mayor, a nice river walk on the Duero, great tapas ambiente, along with all of this great romanesque. In addition to San Juan del Duero and Santo Domingo, there is also the Concatedral and the Ermita San Saturio, whose bottom floors go way way back. Crazy to think it is virtually absent from all tourist radar screens.

Soria is probably the most undeservedly under-visited, under-rated small cities in Spain ... Crazy to think it is virtually absent from all tourist radar screens.

I've been to Spain 15+ times, now live 'next door' and had never heard of Soria until reading your post. So you must be right!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Soria is probably the most undeservedly under-visited, under-rated small citiy in Spain. I was SO glad I took a rest day there when I walked the Castellano-Aragonés. Great little museum on Numancia and other parts of Sorian antiquity, a very nice Plaza Mayor, a nice river walk on the Duero, great tapas ambiente, along with all of this great romanesque. In addition to San Juan del Duero and Santo Domingo, there is also the Concatedral and the Ermita San Saturio, whose bottom floors go way way back. Crazy to think it is virtually absent from all tourist radar screens.

I've long suspected as much.... Every time I've taken an ALSA bus from Madrid Barajas to Pamplona or Logrono (and I've taken both) it has stopped briefly in Soria -- but I've always been in too much of a hurry to get off the bus and explore! But not next time! I'll make time next time!

BTW -- I've visited 8 of the 13 listed locations! But who's counting...?

So maybe your list of Caminos to walk just got a little longer. ;)
Yes. Though adding to that list is not so hard to do.o_O

And yet another reason to shake your head in disbelief when you see how the numbers are declining on the Aragonés.
Sad, that - when the Frances is busting at the seams. It surprises me, but maybe it shouldn't; SJPP seems to have the monopoly now as the starting point of "The camino."(I will stop now, lest I say something I will regret.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, there is an obvious follow-up, especially for someone like you who loves old things — get thee to Soria! Or better yet, walk the Castellano-Aragonés. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-castellano-aragonés-2016.42195/
@peregrina2000
So that's it: my New Year's, years to come resolution: I shall walk a camino (or two) in Spain next year and every year until my body becomes too decrepit or (preferably) I depart this life while on camino. And I shall certainly include the Castellano-Aragonés on my to do list.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back