• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medieval polgrimage

A

AJ

A while ago Caminando mentioned "The Age of Pilgrimage, The Medieval Journey to God" by Jonathan Sumption.

I have just finished reading it and would say it is a "must-read" for anyone interested in medieval pilgrimage. It is a scholarly book, yet easy enough to read.

Thanks again Caminando.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi AJ

Glad you got it, glad you liked it. And you got the title right, which I only partially did...senior moments!

Yes it's great read - it really rounds out the history of the Camino de Santiago from its early days.I was amused to see the 'options' for English women pilgrims; inevitable I suppose! And to read of the ship companions of Margery de Kempe was hilarious. :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Feels like deja vu, because I thought I posted this morning on this thread.

I just ordered the book from Amazon.com

I never keep books, so I'm willing to send it to someone for postage, if they'll send it along to the next reader the same way.

Let me know if you're interested.
Annie

Thanks for mentioning that again (and to Caminando for bringing it up in the first place). I've been meaning to read it, and just requested it by interlibrary loan. So it may arrive someday. :)

Anna-Marie

Hi Annie,
I would be interested in ‘Medieval Pilgrimage’ on the basis you suggest; read and pass on for the postage.

I have a copy of ‘Le Chemin du Puy’, in French, by Jean-Pierre Sirejol & Louis Laborde-Balem. Paperback, 21 x 13.5cm. It describes and illustrates the route from Le Puy to SJPDP in 29 stages (etapes). I am offering this book to anyone interested on the same basis.

Paddy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would also like to read the Sumption book, but Amazon. uk has it listed for 28 pounds! :shock: When the next person is finished, can I get in queue?

Reb.

Since I order from Amazon.uk rather often, and have them ship to the US ... I assume you can go to the US Amazon.com site and have them ship to Europe?

(If not, someone please educate me, I hate to pass along bad information. Thanks)

I order from Amazon.uk regularly. When I select a book I check that the seller is UK based because delivery time is usually a matter of a few days. Sometimes the only copy available is from a US supplier and the time taken for delivery can be up to 8 weeks with customs being the major choke point. Not ideal if you have limited time before your camino.
Paddy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A while ago Caminando mentioned "The Age of Pilgrimage, The Medieval Journey to God" by Jonathan Sumption.

I have just finished reading it and would say it is a "must-read" for anyone interested in medieval pilgrimage. It is a scholarly book, yet easy enough to read.

Thanks again Caminando.

I agree. One of my favourite books of all. I read it thirty years ago and was engrossed by a medieval world view that was completely new to me. Not entirely attractive, but new. I still haven't cycled the camino, as planned, but give me time, give me time.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back