• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medina de Rioseca to Villalon de Campos

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
Very windy day. 2k to the Canal from the Convent and then 8 km's along side the canal. An enterprising young Spaniards could start a ferry service and make a few Euro. Then 3 km's to Tamariz. Small village no services. Then I must have made a mistake. The guide says 8 km's to Cuenca. I followed the road and ended up in Moral de la Reina. Another 8 km's later I arrived in Cuenca. About 2k before Cuenca the rain began. After a coffee and short break I walked the last 5km's in a pouring rain to Villalon de Campos. Albergue locked. Hospitalero said he would arrive in one hour. Currently waiting in bar down the street. Windy wet day but it beats working. Thank you for good rain gear.

Ultreya
Joe

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Joe, Glad you are in Villalon. Re the confusion at Tamariz, I guess we ought to just get used to the fact that just like Dorothy, we have to learn for ourselves how to get home to Kansas. And of course, all these challenges make for better stories, but adding 8 km to a day is not a welcome change, I'm sure. I was just the beneficiary of dumb luck at that intersection. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/page-2#post-240345

Are you heading all the way to Sahagun tomorrow, or will you try to sleep in the jail where Kinky slept in Grajal? I haven't heard that the albergue is open, but Kinky was able to charm his way in. Buen camino, Laurie

Very windy day. 2k to the Canal from the Convent and then 8 km's along side the canal. An enterprising young Spaniards could start a ferry service and make a few Euro. Then 3 km's to Tamariz. Small village no services. Then I must have made a mistake. The guide says 8 km's to Cuenca. I followed the road and ended up in Moral de la Reina. Another 8 km's later I arrived in Cuenca. About 2k before the rain began. After a coffee and short break I walked the last 5km's in a pouring rain to Villa long de Campos. Albergue locked. Hospitalero said he would arrive in one hour. Currently waiting in bar down the street. Windy wet day but it beats working. Thank you for good rain gear.

Ultreya
Joe

Oh man, you're scaring me.
I'm such a wimp about being cold.
I've added a men's cashmere sweater to my pack.
Do I need to add wind pants?
Heading out on Thursday and praying for sunshine!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Heading out on Thursday and praying for sunshine!

Sad to report that rain is expected till next Saturday (mínimum). How much rain? That's difficult to predict but it seems clear you'll find some rain along the route (so pay attention to the forecast once on the ground to now how much rain and whether you'll find also some sun or not).
It's expected to be a colder and wetter April than usual so I'd say you aren't going to be (too) lucky (weatherwise).

Sad to report that rain is expected till next Saturday (mínimum). How much rain? That's difficult to predict but it seems clear you'll find some rain along the route (so pay attention to the forecast once on the ground to now how much rain and whether you'll find also some sun or not).
It's expected to be a colder and wetter April than usual so I'd say you aren't going to be (too) lucky (weatherwise).

Haha!
I wonder if there's a warmer route to walk until May 4.

Very windy day. 2k to the Canal from the Convent and then 8 km's along side the canal. An enterprising young Spaniards could start a ferry service and make a few Euro. Then 3 km's to Tamariz. Small village no services. Then I must have made a mistake. The guide says 8 km's to Cuenca. I followed the road and ended up in Moral de la Reina. Another 8 km's later I arrived in Cuenca. About 2k before the rain began. After a coffee and short break I walked the last 5km's in a pouring rain to Villa long de Campos. Albergue locked. Hospitalero said he would arrive in one hour. Currently waiting in bar down the street. Windy wet day but it beats working. Thank you for good rain gear.

Ultreya
Joe
Hi, Joe!

Hope you made it into albergue by now and that you have taken that looong aaaaaand hooot shower ;)

I've slept in Tamariz under the porch of Ayuntamiento (a bit to the left where veterinarian office is) and there is a Bar on that plaza. Was it closed??? Too bad because the owner is sooo helpful but I guess on Sundays they just don't open.
Can't really understand where you went wrong to Cuenca but if I were you I'd stay on the Moral way. That's an "old" Camino de Madrid that Asociacion dumped, don't know why though. I'll try it sometime later I guess...

There was no hospitalero on site in Villalon de Campos??? That's really strange as this albergue is throughout recommended for the live-in hospitaleros. And I know exactly where you are waiting. They have rooms also but I guess now is just too late for use of this info ;)

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Joe, Glad you are in Villalon. Re the confusion at Tamariz, I guess we ought to just get used to the fact that just like Dorothy, we have to learn for ourselves how to get home to Kansas. And of course, all these challenges make for better stories, but adding 8 km to a day is not a welcome change, I'm sure. I was just the beneficiary of dumb luck at that intersection. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/page-2#post-240345

Are you heading all the way to Sahagun tomorrow, or will you try to sleep in the jail where Kinky slept in Grajal? I haven't heard that the albergue is open, but Kinky was able to charm his way in. Buen camino, Laurie

In Grajal atm will be in Sahagun by 2:00 pm or so. Got an early start. Villalon Albergue was great. Full service with a TV lounge and washing machine. No WiFi.

Joe

Hi, Joe!

Hope you made it into albergue by now and that you have taken that looong aaaaaand hooot shower ;)

I've slept in Tamariz under the porch of Ayuntamiento (a bit to the left where veterinarian office is) and there is a Bar on that plaza. Was it closed??? Too bad because the owner is sooo helpful but I guess on Sundays they just don't open.
Can't really understand where you went wrong to Cuenca but if I were you I'd stay on the Moral way. That's an "old" Camino de Madrid that Asociacion dumped, don't know why though. I'll try it sometime later I guess...

There was no hospitalero on site in Villalon de Campos??? That's really strange as this albergue is throughout recommended for the live-in hospitaleros. And I know exactly where you are waiting. They have rooms also but I guess now is just too late for use of this info ;)

Ultreia!

In Sahagun, Albergue does not open till 16:30 that is crazy. I am walking on to Bercianos, another 10k? I actually just had a conversation in English. WOW, that was nice.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ummm, Joe, that is surely going to hit 50 km. Now I'll have to say that not only are you a trooper, you are a maniac. ;)

At this rate,you'll be able to walk the Invierno twice when you get to Ponferrada.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Sahagun, Albergue does not open till 16:30 that is crazy. I am walking on to Bercianos, another 10k?

They open the albergue after lunchtime what makes some sense although, IMHO, it would make more sense to open it before lunch so people could take a shower before going to lunch but that may mean more staff (i.e.: higher costs)... Anyway, enjoy your camino and your stops along it (and don't arrive too tired to Bercianos).

Ummm, Joe, that is surely going to hit 50 km. Now I'll have to say that not only are you a trooper, you are a maniac. ;)

At this rate,you'll be able to walk the Invierno twice when you get to Ponferrada.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, brilliant :D

In Sahagun, Albergue does not open till 16:30 that is crazy. I am walking on to Bercianos, another 10k? I actually just had a conversation in English. WOW, that was nice.

Ultreya,
Joe
I guess you're already in Bercianos del real Camino. And if you are that's amazing how much you have walked today!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I'm younger than you but that's completely out of my comfort zone.

But Joe, if you are indeed in Bercianos would you do me a favour? The very first bar when you enter the village (right side) is owned by a Croatian guy named Marko. He met his Valenciana wife on Camino and they married, have one kid (as I know of) and managing this bar. Would you be so kind to go there, order a beer or two (on MY account please) and say Boštjan from Ljubljana, Slovenia, says hello. I was there in 2014 and I hope Marko will remember. Anyway, tell him I'll pay for the beers when (if all goes according to plan) I pass sometime in June.

Ultreia ;)

PS (Oh, how good it feels to be connected like this to certain people and Camino itself!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess you're already in Bercianos del real Camino. And if you are that's amazing how much you have walked today!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I'm younger than you but that's completely out of my comfort zone.

But Joe, if you are indeed in Bercianos would you do me a favour? The very first bar when you enter the village (right side) is owned by a Croatian guy named Marko. He met his Valenciana wife on Camino and they married, have one kid (as I know of) and managing this bar. Would you be so kind to go there, order a beer or two (on MY account please) and say Boštjan from Ljubljana, Slovenia, says hello. I was there in 2014 and I hope Marko will remember. Anyway, tell him I'll pay for the beers when (if all goes according to plan) I pass sometime in June.

Ultreia ;)

PS (Oh, how good it feels to be connected like this to certain people and Camino itself!)

I stopped in Calzada de Coto.

I started the Madrid route on Thursday, 7 April and made as far as Segovia, where I received an e-mail informing me that my home back in the US had a formal purchase order, after languishing on the locally poor real estate market for over seven months. Plus is was a good offer, all in all.

Long story short, the buyer is eager to consummate the sale and take possession. Of course, their plans did not coincide with me finishing my Camino.l as planned. So needs must... I hopped the train from Segovia to Leon on Monday. This morning, I started out from Leon for Santuago.

This is a classic case of good news - bad news. I am determined to salvage a decent Camino. So I changed all my advance Hostal reservations down the line. The savings on lodging covers the airline change fees to fly from Santiago to Madrid, then back to the US the following day.

How is it written? "Man plans, and God laughs..." Besides, I am a pilgrim. I adapt and overcome. It is what I do...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started the Madrid route on Thursday, 7 April and made as far as Segovia, where I received an e-mail informing me that my home back in the US had a formal purchase order, after languishing on the locally poor real estate market for over seven months. Plus is was a good offer, all in all.

Long story short, the buyer is eager to consummate the sale and take possession. Of course, their plans did not coincide with me finishing my Camino.l as planned. So needs must... I hopped the train from Segovia to Leon on Monday. This morning, I started out from Leon for Santuago.

This is a classic case of good news - bad news. I am determined to salvage a decent Camino. So I changed all my advance Hostal reservations down the line. The savings on lodging covers the airline change fees to fly from Santiago to Madrid, then back to the US the following day.

How is it written? "Man plans, and God laughs..." Besides, I am a pilgrim. I adapt and overcome. It is what I do...

Congratulations!? lol!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.