• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting set for Chicago area

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, pilgrims,

I'm happy to report that we have been able to set up a gathering for Chicago-land pilgrims, pilgrim wanna-bes, or past pilgrims.

This will be an informal first meeting with no set agenda, but we will share experiences, answer questions, and discuss the possibility of a more formal group organization, possibly one affiliated with American Pilgrims on the Camino.

If you are interested in attending, here are the details:

WHEN: Saturday, March 2, 1 p.m – 3p.m.
WHERE: Meeting room at the REI, Schaumburg.
ADDRESS: 1209 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL

The meeting room has a capacity of 35, so please let me know via PM if you plan to attend.

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I first read this post, falcon, I thought you had said you put it on YOUR calendar. I'm sure an appearance by falcon would be quite a draw so why don't see if you can arrange your travel schedule!

I have a soft spot in my heart for REI. I am doing a Camino program for them (not in Chicago). Y'all have fun from south of the Mason-Dixon line. :wink:

Count me in for the March 2 meeting. And Hi! My name is Brian. I live in South Bend, IN. My son and I and a friend will be making our first Camino - one stage, anyway- walking from Piedrafita do Cebreiro to Santiago in mid-May. I look forward to learning from the experiences of others.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Brian,
Great! We're hoping for a mix of new pilgrims, experienced pilgrims, uncommitted pilgrims, etc, so we can get some good camino-sharing going on. I am also going to have a conversation with the American Pilgrims on the Camino's chapter liaison next week for some information on forming a chapter in case that's something we decide we want to do.

Buen camino, Laurie

I'm getting a few PM responses.

Just heard from one pilgrim who lives in the city of Chicago (north side) and has no car. So, is anyone planning to drive out from the city to Schaumburg?

If no one will be driving from Chicago, looks like there's a METRA train from Union Station at about 11:30, arriving Schaumburg 12:30, and I'm hoping we could get a volunteer to pick her up at the station.

We've got plenty of time to work out all these details, so stay tuned. Laurie

Hi Laurie

Count my wife and I in. See you in March. :D

Buen Camino
Dale

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie-Remy from Indianapolis- Count me in- is it ok to bring my son along? He's a little concerned with me driving back to Indy at night. My Camino partner is out of the country & will be back a month before we fly to Madrid on May 13th..
See you soon

Hi, Remy,

All are welcome at this first informal meeting!

I have sent a PM to most of you about this, but if you are planning to come, would you mind sending me a PM with your email address so that I will be able to make more direct contact?

Many thanks, I wouldn't say the snowball is rolling, but we are gathering strength, I think the count is up to 8 or 9. Jeff from Houston tells me that's about how many he had on his first try and now the group is large and flourishing. Hope to hear from more of you over the next few weeks.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I am planning on walking the Camino in April and May, so a Chicago area meeting on March 2 is welcome news. I will be there. Since I live in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, I will be driving and would be happy to pick up others as well. I would be even happier to be a passenger and let someone else drive, if that can be arranged. My email is ddorman@marlboro.edu.

David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, David,
I have heard from two other city of Chicago pilgrims -- one with a car, one without. I'll put you in touch with them via email.

A good group is forming. It's a nice mix of veterans and people about to walk their first Camino.

Buen camino, Laurie

I had a long conversation with a volunteer from the APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino) and he gave me a lot of ideas about ways in which we could establish a more permanent organization, a chapter of APOC, for instance.

I've also heard from some forum members who have done just that, started with an informal get together and morphed into an organization of some sort.

So, we'll just see where this takes us. The APOC is going to send out an email to all of their members who live in the Chicago area, so we may have standing room only soon!

If anyone else from the forum wants to sign on, just send me a PM and include an email address so I can contact you directly.

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have some seats still available at the meeting, and the REI contact is planning to open them to some of their customers who are interested in the Camino. Just thought I'd give the forum one more notice before doing that.

So, one last call, if you are interested let me know.

Buen camino, Laurie

I would like to attend I am planning to go in 2014 and intend to do a combo of walking and cycling
Bill from Oak Lawn IL

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HOLA! I made my journey this past May/June on the Camino Frances. When I returned I and another pilgrim contacted the American Pilgrims on the Camino, we had our first meeting with 35 attending at REI here in Phoenix and now we have over 100 members in our chapter,Valley of the Sun Chapter! Facebook is also a great way to reach out. I am originaly from Chicago and so excited you will have a chapter there!!! The best of luck!

I would LOVE to attend, but will probably be scheduled to work that afternoon. I'm planning on walking the Camino Francais May-June this year. Hopefull I can leave work early that day :)

Congrats, Laurie. I'm sure you will find organizing this most rewarding,

We, here in Houston, had our first informal get together in November 2011 - there was a dozen of us at the first meeting and now we have more than 100 members on our mailing list. I've really enjoyed getting to know my pilgrim and future pilgrim neighbors. I play a mostly the role of 'connector'. I really look forward to our quarterly events. Between meetings, newbies will email me questions and I farm them out to different members.

A few weeks ago, I had coffee with a 70 year old man planning on walking the Camino with his wife. Just like the actual camino, getting to know complete strangers is part of the joy of it all.

We make sure that there is wine and tapas at every event!!

Have lots of fun,

Jeff

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations!

I returned from the Camino in October 2012 to find an invitation from APOC to begin a chapter in my email inbox. I thought about the possibility for a few days, then contacted APOC and was on my way to establishing The Old Pueblo Chapter of APOC in Tucson, Arizona.

I held an exploratory meeting in Total Wine & More on December 2nd. 43 people attended; I identified a co-coordinator and together we began the process of establishing the chapter. I do believe the complimentary wine tasting was an incentive for many to attend.

We became an official chapter, signed the memorandum of agreement with APOC in January 2013 and will be having our first official meeting (again at Total Wine & More) tomorrow, February 24th. We have a reflexology technician as well as a representative from the local sporting goods store in queue to give presentations at future meetings. The possibilities are endless.

Again congratulations!

Arlene
Old Pueblo Chapter of APOC

Hello everyone

Thanks Laurie for setting up the Chicago meeting. It was very informative. Arlene and i enjoyed meeting the other people who showed up. I guess there is another meeting March 23rd - but we cannot attend - do you have any info on that meeting though?

thanks again
Dale

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Dale,

I received the following message from APOC (American Pilgrims on the Camino):

Just wanted to let you know that a meeting is scheduled for 11:00 on March 23rd to explore forming a Chicago Chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino. It's going to held in the auditorium of the Sulzer Chicago Public Library at 4455 North Lincoln Avenue. For more details, please visit http://www.americanpilgrims.com/events/ ... local.html

I'm going to try very hard to make it up there. If you're interested in being kept in the loop, I would suggest writing to chapters@americanpilgrims.com and ask that they forward your contact information to the organizers in Chicago. That way you will hopefully get on the mailing list, etc.

Buen camino! Laurie

BTW, if anyone is planning to attend this meeting who was not notified of it by APOC, you should email the address I gave in the previous thread to let them know you plan to attend. I think there are some space restrictions.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.