• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting up in Santiago?

Should we have a place on the forum where people can announce their intentions to be at the Tertulia on such and such a date, or is that too organized and anal for our free spirit members?
A PM to Ivar should sort that out. He could open a new section for meet up announcements.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not sure how a daily notice thread would be set up or monitored so that it did not become a huge mix of dates and times.

Maybe Falcon can comment on this as he ran the Camino calendar for us for a long period and would have the best knowledge of the problems.

I like the idea...just not sure what it would like.

Well, right now I'm working with Ivar on getting the "table sign with forum badges" made up. Ivar has volunteered to make it and to take it to the Tertulia. He also knows John Henry so this makes it easier. Once that's ready, and I don't really think there's a rush yet, we can announce that the tertulia at the Tertulia is up and running! And we can then work on making the announcement a sticky post on the top of every forum section, and figure out some way, if people are so inclined, to have the possibility of signing up ahead of time. Though maybe that's overkill. I see it both ways. Though I haven't paid too much attention to the "looking to share a taxi" threads, it seems to me that this could fall into that same pattern, and to an outsider it looks a little messy. But maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, for those of you who don't speak Spanish, the name of the café is so appropriate -- tertulia means a wide-ranging, non-specific chat, as far as I can parse it out.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The notices could be done like the "Class of 2015" threads but with thread for each month of the year. The thread could then be deleted when the month has passed. People could also be asked just to say when they would be in Santiago and not enter into a discussion on it as this would make it cumbersome.

And imagine how the pilgrim count would rise if people knew someone like falcon was going to make an appearance. :)
I think you misspoke! Don't you mean if someone like peregrina2000 was going to make an appearance? ;)

(No disrespect to falcon intended!)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The notices could be done like the "Class of 2015" threads but with thread for each month of the year. The thread could then be deleted when the month has passed. People could also be asked just to say when they would be in Santiago and not enter into a discussion on it as this would make it cumbersome.

Good idea, wayfarer, I'll be working this out with Ivar, so if anyone else has ideas to add, fire away. And since you're a moderator, you can pretty much call the shots anyway. :)

We are more likely to 'just turn up' than post a committment to a given day. It would all depend on arrival time/length of stay in Santiago and even maybe the weather. (Last time in Santiago we took a day for part of the 'Walk of Walks') :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Tia,
I think there are some kinks to be worked out in how to get a thread about meeting up on the top of every forum section. But we will do this! Some year it would be great to meet up. I'm hoping to be at the Tertulia on July 14 and/or 15. Buen camino!

Last edited:
@peregrina2000 Great idea Laurie! Glad this thread came up in my daily e-mail otherwise I would have missed it. Can you imagine, I have ended in Santiago 4x and still haven't met either Ivar or John. Almost all of the forum members that I have met have been off Camino encounters, also nice of course.

Depending on which Camino I end up doing I may or may not end up in Santiago sometime in July. Would be great to meet a few of you if I do.

And off-topic but I will a hospitalera in the HUGE albergue in Ponferrada around Semana Santa so stop by and say hello.

What a great idea - I'd definitely pop in, am in Santiago 5 & 6th July :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looking forward to seeing a few of you about 14th May before I head for Finisterre/ Muxia and again about 20th May all going well. Had a very pleasant morning coffee and pastry in Tertulia last September so even if no other forum members show whatever evening you get along, you can still spend a pleasant hour people watching.

Seamus

Please put the thread into a more open section, I picked it up as a new post. We do not all walk or follow the Francés section, but would still like to meet other forum members.
Identification:- In Exeter we have a waymark sticker we stand on the table, but in Santiago itself why not use one of Ivar's forum pack badges on a stick/wooden spoon (like used for table numbers).
I could always sit in an obvious location singing. That would garner attention. Though maybe scare fellow Forum members away.
Wait, if my singing is that bad...Forum members would know they were in the right location.
Others would shy away. Bingo!,, problem solved!
I will be in SdC on about April 12-13
Buen "off key is me" Camino
Arn

Looking forward to hearing about who met whom and when and how was it? :rolleyes::)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be there around middle May. If I still remember, I try to visit....

Thanks to Ivar for all his help with this. It's easy to have an idea, :), it's another thing to carry it out. Ivar has told me there is a way to keep the meeting up announcement at the top of each section of the forum, so we won't let you forget Johan! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeay, we have lift off! Very many thanks to Laurie and Ivar. Hope to meet you both one day :) Jill

This is great news. I was involved a couple of years ago when a similar thread, probably also started by our Laurie, started up and mired out. Funny that there seem to have been no postings on this stream since March 2015, yet it has popped up today, so I guess there must be reports elsewhere, of how the plan is working. I'll go look. . .

Well done Laurie and Ivar.

As well as meeting Forum members in Santiago (of course), I'm interested in meeting up with pilgrims I've met and walked with, along the way, in having a regular 'hang-out' to gravitate to as we finish our camino. I'm now wondering if Cafe Tertulia can be this place?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have visited Sybil at Egeria House on my last (third) pilgrimage on the VdlP to Santiago. She is wonderfully hospitable. But the most contact that I have had with other walking pilgrims in Santiago has been at San Martin Pinario. As it is situated across the plaza from the Cathedral and has a pilgrim floor with inexpensive accommodation for pilgrims only, and a pilgrim lounge (which contains the only wifi in the building) the lounge is often full of recently arrived pilgrims. They are not necessarily forum members, but are sometimes willing to visit with other pilgrims and share their experiences on camino. There are challenges in trying to socialize with these pilgrims. Can you get their attention away from their electronic devices or from the companions with whom they have traveled? The former is more difficult. After a fairly solitary pilgrimage on the VdlP and separation from all the companions with whom I had shared albergues for a time, I was ready for company. I met a couple of very outgoing women (sisters) who were sociable, but it was more of a challenge to make contact than in albergues. The other problem with visiting in the lounge is that the alcoholic beverages are much more expensive than anywhere else I have been in Spain. I won't buy there again but it is a pretty good place to meet pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, that was then but now (forum) pilgrims meet-ups are in Egeria House (http://egeria.house/) hosted by our @SYates . Scroll down the page and you'll see the map and timetable.

Enjoy Santiago!
Unfortunately, I arrived Saturday and leave Monday at noon. I'll have to give myself more weekday time in Santiago after my next camino. I did get to see the botafumiero swing at the pilgrim's mass, though. It's been almost 30 years since I last saw that. They didn't use it at the pilgrim's mass my son and I went to.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back