• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting up in Santiago?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Every few years, some of us start to discuss whether it'd be a good idea to pick a cafe where forum members could have a daily get together in Santiago. We could have a set place, a set time, some days no one there, some days hopefully a few or more. We never got to the actual decision.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/meeting-up-in-santiago.13311/

Now that I'm thinking about it again, I think it should be at a cafe not right in the pilgrim center, maybe a little bit outside. It occurred to me that maybe the Cafe Tertulia would be a good place for us. It has very nice outdoor seating under a big awning and inside there is a little separate room off to the side for overflow where there are usually no people. The owner is a young guy who is Spanish but has the English language name John Henry. He speaks excellent English and works like the dickens. He told me that having a child has transformed his work ethic.

Here's some more chatter about the Tertulia: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-great-cafe-on-the-way-out-of-santiago.26594/

It is on the route to Finisterre, on the Rua do Pombal, a straight shot down the stairs in front of the parador. Google maps says it's 400 m from the cathedral. Especially when the pilgrims office moves, it will be just a hop step and a jump away.

So I guess my question is whether people think it's too out of the way to be a good meeting up spot. It is still very central but not in that in-town hub near the cathedral. It's open every day, I believe. Maybe not Sunday evenings.

Anyway, I'll throw this open for discussion and hope to get some ideas. I would be happy to call John Henry to make sure this idea is good for him, but I can't imagine he would have a problem with it.

If you have other suggestions, of course, throw them out there. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds like a great place to meet! Can I also suggest that the people working at the place we decide on find something easily visible to put on whichever table the first here-to-meet-others pilgrims happen to sit down at - or even to put on one before anyone gets there - so that the ones that arrive later can find the right table easily? Saves having to ask at all the tables if obvious pilgrims are the pilgrims you are looking for. And saves the people working there asking if you are one of 'them' or 'just' an ordinary guest. If you see what I mean. If we agree on something I can make an appearance in late March, I definitely want to see this Tertulia now!

We could have a set place, a set time, some days no one there, some days hopefully a few or more. We never got to the actual decision.

I am in.

Maybe the best thing is for Laurie to set a time for a daily meet for those who are in Santiago at any given day.

I don't personally have a good idea of a time..but will be happy to agree with others. It would be great to have a chance to actually meet others from the forum in Santiago. I like the idea that it would be a hit or miss experience.
I do see Johnnie Walker and Ivar when in SdC.....but would enjoy meeting some others.

I will be in Santiago July 5 & 6 (more or less) and again July 27 & 28 (more or less) this year.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems a quite "chic" café. I especially like the cute doggy wallpaper.
On the other side, I hope it offers madalenas. This would make or break my approval. :)

I am in. Will be in Santiago mid June.
Now what time of day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hy , I am in . Be in SdC at around the 25th. of May. It's great to meet members at the end of the camino. We have beside the pelgrims office already a room where pelgrims from Holland and Belgium come to gether after there Camino.It's run by volunteers. All the best to you all , Peter.

I am going to make this a "sticky" for a bit to get a little more exposure.

What would be the best forum to put it in? I will start with it in the Camino Frances forum.
Let me know if you think there is a better location.

Well, grayland, I don't know how much the forum designation limits traffic, but I think a big part of the impetus for this is to get people from all different caminos together. The Camino Frances people on the forum are likely to have all met each other by the time they get to Santiago, it's the rest of us who have a harder time of it.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems a quite "chic" café. I especially like the cute doggy wallpaper.
On the other side, I hope it offers madalenas. This would make or break my approval. :)

Hi, Felipe, it is definitely more on the "upscale" side of things than your basic bar, but no pretense and a great selection of home baked pastries. I always went for the whole grain croissant, so I am not able to tell you whether they have madalenas, but I'll find out! Buen camino, Laurie

That sounds like a great place to meet! Can I also suggest that the people working at the place we decide on find something easily visible to put on whichever table the first here-to-meet-others pilgrims happen to sit down at - or even to put on one before anyone gets there - so that the ones that arrive later can find the right table easily? Saves having to ask at all the tables if obvious pilgrims are the pilgrims you are looking for. And saves the people working there asking if you are one of 'them' or 'just' an ordinary guest. If you see what I mean. If we agree on something I can make an appearance in late March, I definitely want to see this Tertulia now!

This is a GREAT idea nidarosa. I'm going to call the cafe tomorrow and I will report back on what I hear. I will definitely ask about the sign idea. If there are any other questions people have, let me know today and I'll put them on the list.

What time would be best? A post lunch 5 pm-is is likely to be lower traffic in the cafe, but maybe too early. Maybe 7 pm? Totally open to suggestions.

I know the Germans have a similar arrangement, they all meet up in a cafe on the road into the Porta de Santiago, I think, near the restaurant 16. Does anyone know details of how this works for them or any other language-based get together?

Thanks, Laurie

I would think either pre dinner, so 7-ish, or pre mass, as many might want to go to mass? If pre dinner you can always hope to find someone to eat with, a great way to get to know people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would think either pre dinner, so 7-ish, or pre mass, as many might want to go to mass? If pre dinner you can always hope to find someone to eat with, a great way to get to know people.

I agree with your instincts, 5 pm is probably too early. But we know that Friday night at the 7 pm mass is the one time we can for sure see the botafumeiro, so maybe 7 would be bad on Friday. And I like the idea of it being same time same place every day to keep it simple. Hmmmm, not sure.

For lunch, then? And if you make or find friends, you can arrange to meet for dinner? Gives everyone time to get back to the room and get ready for mass or the evening (ie changing fleeces and zipping the legs on their trousers) :D

The problem with lunch is that too many of us will be involved in getting compostela, getting into accommodation, etc. I like the late afternoon range best. If it weren't for the dang botafumeiro on Friday at 7, I'd think 7 would be the best time. But if the numbers are more in favor of lunch, we could do that too. After I talk with JOhn Henry at the Cafe Tertulia, maybe the thing to do it set up a poll.

But more opinions welcome now, of course. Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like this idea but Tertulia is a really SMALL place.
We are too many...

The problem with lunch is that too many of us will be involved in getting compostela, getting into accommodation, etc. I like the late afternoon range best. If it weren't for the dang botafumeiro on Friday at 7, I'd think 7 would be the best time. But if the numbers are more in favor of lunch, we could do that too. After I talk with JOhn Henry at the Cafe Tertulia, maybe the thing to do it set up a poll.

But more opinions welcome now, of course. Laurie
Hy, 7 would be the best time I think. Peter .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wonder what the average stay in SdC is ? One night would suggest a later time as Laurie suggests allowing time for Credencial, Accomodation, Pilgrim Mass, etc . More than one day would allow for an earlier time ( late morning / lunch). So I guess if most Pilgrims arrive in SdC on day one and depart for Finisterre/ Muxia the next day that has an inpact.

Ok How about both 11:00am/7:00pm That should fit into all schedules ??

PS: I have just been advised by a member of a younger generation that "Dude there's an app for that " I think they have in mind a check in app like foursquare or something - Maybe Ivar's new app can do it ?

I am going to make this a "sticky" for a bit to get a little more exposure.

What would be the best forum to put it in? I will start with it in the Camino Frances forum.
Let me know if you think there is a better location.

You are best placed on that Grayland but whatever is decided it would be great to have all Caminos made aware as I am sure we would all love to hear stories from the other Caminos , even though that will be very dangerous and ensure we come back time and time again.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the name of the bar is very proper, since "tertulia" is "a type of Spanish literary salon that was popular in Spain from at least the 17th century..."and currently a regular meeting of friends that share a common interest, as football (very common!), gastronomy, or anything else. It is a kind of institution in many European countries. Cafes and bars usually welcome these tertulias.
Upon my experience, you can make some kind of reservation, if you are reasonably sure of the attendance. Anyway, I think the practical issues are for the (highly envied) Santiago-based people to decide, since the rest of us will be there only sporadically, in the best case.:(

Also good to remember that the Pilgrim House which a couple of hundred yards from the Pilgrims' Office already offers a meeting place with facilities for coffee etc. They also have a message board to leave messages from pilgrim friends not yet arrived:

http://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/support/welcome-center/
Hi, John,
From what I remember the PIlgrim House has weekly GTGs and I am also not sure that everyone would want to go there. I remember we discussed this back when they were opening. Do you think a cafe with a regular time is a bad idea? Do you know anything about the German group?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm also in!
Not this year however as I won't be passing through Santiago.
But next.
Great idea guys! :)

Annie, have you seen the room off to the left -- right before the bar, there is a doorway that leads to a room with 4 or 5 tables. It is rarely occupied, in my experience.

I have nothing against Tertulia - on the contrary I love Tertulia.

I liked the idea meeting up in front of the cathedral (Obradoiro) at 7 pm-ish and then decide where to go. We did that a couple of evenings in May 2012 and ended up having a dinner each evening together in different restaurants. We were some 20 pilgrims and it all was very convenient and a great way to hang together before we left Santiago for home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great idea - I'm in. I'll be in Santiago around 10 June.

The Ivar Camino app should be helpful as it identifies forum members who are nearby (if they have smartphones with the app and they allow this setting).

I've no experience of Santiago so I've no useful suggestions about time or place. I'll go along with whatever others consider best.

I have nothing against Tertulia - on the contrary I love Tertulia.

I liked the idea meeting up in front of the cathedral (Obradoiro) at 7 pm-ish and then decide where to go. We did that a couple of evenings in May 2012 and ended up having a dinner each evening together in different restaurants. We were some 20 pilgrims and it all was very convenient and a great way to hang together before we left Santiago for home.
Hi, Annie, how did you all communicate with each other to know who was who? I can't imagine I'd be very successful finding the forum group if I was told to look for a pilgrim in front of the cathedral.

Do you think gathering outside and then going somewhere is preferable to having a place that's indoors and where everyone who wants to meet up will go? The advantage of knowing an indoor place is that if you're late, you won't miss the group because they'll still be there, but the group won't still be in front of the cathedral at 7:20.

Hola - the only German group I know is run by the German Chaplaincy. They run an evening "spiritual" tour of the cathedral and finish with prayers.

The Pilgrim House do run Gatherings but they are also very happy for their lounge area to be used as a meeting place. The more I've got to know them the more impressed I am by their sincere desire to be open and welcoming to all pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Annie, how did you all communicate with each other to know who was who? I can't imagine I'd be very successful finding the forum group if I was told to look for a pilgrim in front of the cathedral. ....

@peregrina2000 they were pilgrims who walked the camino - not particularly Forum members.
Sorry - I am glad to meet up with any pilgrims - Forum members or those I met on the recent camino.

So far I met @ivar , @JohnnieWalker , @Madidi , @Alan Pearce , @nellpilgrim in Dublin, @LTfit in Amsterdam, @grayland and his lovely wife Ellie, @jpflavin1, @peregrina2000, @Josefine, @miguel_gp, @winewalker , @Alan Pearce and many others. And Rebekah in Moratinos of course.

If I’m in Santiago on a cold, dark, stormy evening (thinking about those hardy winter pilgrims here) I wouldn’t hang around waiting outside for long. I would prefer to meet up in a warm café. If nobody else arrives, then no problem, I’m already in a nice café that sells drinks and food. Jill

Excelent idea @peregrina2000
I'll be there approx.end of July and will take a peek.
This thread I also find nice to put in our end dates since the new Camino Calendar is so "sophisticated" that you have to start new thread for each entry ;)

Hope to see some of you and share some...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great idea, I'm walking the Camino Ingles and should be in Santiago around the 2nd of April. Hope to see some of you in the Tertulia, that would be great. I think I meet Laurie walking between Finisterre and Muxia in July 2014 but it was only later on that I realized it must have been her.

Ya I can stop in. By my reckoning I should be in Santiago around June 17th.

Just as I'm starting to get my pack weight down I find that I'll now have to take a copy of The Times
and a pink carnation along as well. :D

Sounds like a great idea. Especially to hear accounts of the other routes.
I'm hoping to be there in the second half of April.

As an aside, until I read this thread I didn't know about the botafumeiro on Friday at 7.

I like the idea of a regular cafe location, then whoever is in town and wants to seek out other Forum members can do so, and if they do they'll find a Forum table and a few others with the same thought (or none). This wouldn't preclude other get-togethers at Pilgrim House or elsewhere, either for Forum-ists or for more general pilgrim groups. Just one more opportunity to possibly meet up with online friends. I'm hoping to be in Santiago by mid-June - it would be great to see some of you there!

@peregrina2000 they were pilgrims who walked the camino - not particularly Forum members.
Sorry - I am glad to meet up with any pilgrims - Forum members or those I met on the recent camino.

So far I met @ivar , @JohnnieWalker , @Madidi , @Alan Pearce , @nellpilgrim in Dublin, @LTfit in Amsterdam, @grayland and his lovely wife Ellie, @jpflavin1, @peregrina2000, @Josefine, @miguel_gp, @winewalker , @Alan Pearce and many others. And Rebekah in Moratinos of course.

So, Annie, I guess what I'm saying is that this "meet in front of the cathedral" approach would be harder to do with a group of people from the forum who don't know each other. I'm certainly not criticizing, just trying to figure out how people who have never laid eyes on each other would be able to pull off that kind of rendezvous. I guess I'm leaning towards trying to find a cafe and I will call Tertulia tomorrow.

Am I right that a 400 m walk from the cathedral would not be a deal-breaker for people who have walked many many kms? :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Every few years, some of us start to discuss whether it'd be a good idea to pick a cafe where forum members could have a daily get together in Santiago. We could have a set place, a set time, some days no one there, some days hopefully a few or more. We never got to the actual decision.

Now that I'm thinking about it again, I think it should be at a cafe not right in the pilgrim center, maybe a little bit outside. It occurred to me that maybe the Cafe Tertulia would be a good place for us. It has very nice outdoor seating under a big awning and inside there is a little separate room off to the side for overflow where there are usually no people. The owner's name is a young guy who is Spanish but has the English language name John Henry. He speaks excellent English and works like the dickens. He told me that having a child has transformed his work ethic.

Here's some more chatter about the Tertulia: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-great-cafe-on-the-way-out-of-santiago.26594/

It is on the route to Finisterre, on the Rua do Pombal, a straight shot down the stairs in front of the parador. Google maps says it's 400 m from the cathedral. Especially when the pilgrims office moves, it will be just a hop step and a jump away.

So I guess my question is whether people think it's too out of the way to be a good meeting up spot. It is still very central but not in that in-town hub near the cathedral. It's open every day, I believe. Maybe not Sunday evenings.

Anyway, I'll throw this open for discussion and hope to get some ideas. I would be happy to call John Henry to make sure this idea is good for him, but I can't imagine he would have a problem with it.

If you have other suggestions, of course, throw them out there. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie:

I think this is a great idea and will utilize whatever site is selected.

Joe

Great idea, I'm walking the Camino Ingles and should be in Santiago around the 2nd of April. Hope to see some of you in the Tertulia, that would be great. I think I meet Laurie walking between Finisterre and Muxia in July 2014 but it was only later on that I realized it must have been her.
Ekelund, were you walking from Finisterre to Muxia and had taken the turn-off to Lires? I was walking from Muxia to Lires and was heading back to the camino to get to Finisterre. There are not that many heads of totally white hair walking with long pants and long sleeve shirts so I am pretty easy to identify. ;)

Hi, John,
From what I remember the PIlgrim House has weekly GTGs and I am also not sure that everyone would want to go there. I remember we discussed this back when they were opening. Do you think a cafe with a regular time is a bad idea? Do you know anything about the German group?
What are GTGs? Gin Tonic Groups? Go to God meetings?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Annie, how did you all communicate with each other to know who was who? I can't imagine I'd be very successful finding the forum group if I was told to look for a pilgrim in front of the cathedral.

Do you think gathering outside and then going somewhere is preferable to having a place that's indoors and where everyone who wants to meet up will go? The advantage of knowing an indoor place is that if you're late, you won't miss the group because they'll still be there, but the group won't still be in front of the cathedral at 7:20.
Not only that, but being in Galicia will likely mean rain as well.

@peregrina2000 I agree with the inside-in-the-cafe plan rather than the outside-in-the-rain plan, and I also agree with the same-time-every-day plan. Would it be very wrong to suggest 7 pm/19.00 every night, even Friday? Some will prefer to go to mass but might be there the night after, or might stop by after mass to see if people are still there, some are not mass goers and would probably appreciate the chance to meet up if they only have one night in town. Most people stay more than one night though and the meet-ups would be a constant, to opt into or out of according to circumstance and choice.

Now that I'm thinking about it again, I think it should be at a cafe not right in the pilgrim center, maybe a little bit outside. It occurred to me that maybe the Cafe Tertulia would be a good place for us. It has very nice outdoor seating under a big awning and inside there is a little separate room off to the side for overflow where there are usually no people. The owner is a young guy who is Spanish but has the English language name John Henry. He speaks excellent English and works like the dickens. He told me that having a child has transformed his work ethic.

I should be there 4 - 7 June. Count me in

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am in.

Maybe the best thing is for Laurie to set a time for a daily meet for those who are in Santiago at any given day.

I don't personally have a good idea of a time..but will be happy to agree with others. It would be great to have a chance to actually meet others from the forum in Santiago. I like the idea that it would be a hit or miss experience.
I do see Johnnie Walker and Ivar when in SdC.....but would enjoy meeting some others.

I will be in Santiago July 5 & 6 (more or less) and again July 27 & 28 (more or less) this year.

I will be in Santiago on the 6th july and happy to meet up.

Can I like this thread a few extra times? @ivar , this would rank high on my happiness index.

Also I should be in Santiago in early June. A meet-up sounds perfect.

Excelent idea @peregrina2000
I'll be there approx.end of July and will take a peek.
This thread I also find nice to put in our end dates since the new Camino Calendar is so "sophisticated" that you have to start new thread for each entry ;)

This is an example of how this would be a great thing. I will also be in SdC at the end of July. We will both be there at the same time but never meet...unless Laurie's idea takes hold this time. Someone else posted that they will be in SdC earlier in July when I also will be there.

I don't know of an easier way to get together. Go to the café at the scheduled time....and hope there are other forum members there. If not have a glass of wine or a coffee. Nothing lost.

Some of us did get to meet a few times while working as Amigos ( as Annie posted above). It was great to put a face and personality together with someone you have interacted with for a long period on the forum.

It occurred to me that maybe the Cafe Tertulia would be a good place for us. It has very nice outdoor seating under a big awning and inside there is a little separate room off to the side for overflow where there are usually no people. The owner is a young guy who is Spanish but has the English language name John Henry. He speaks excellent English and works like the dickens.

I agree that this is a good place. I visited it quite often during my Amigo gig in 2013 as it is located on the route between the pilgrim office and Amigo apartments. There is another less conventional bar further along Rua da Poza de Bar which I am not going to recommend :)

I agree that this is a good place. I visited it quite often during my Amigo gig in 2013 as it is located on the route between the pilgrim office and Amigo apartments. There is another less conventional bar further along Rua da Poza de Bar which I am not going to recommend :)
Hi AJ - are you talking about the fantastic bar you, Don, Kat, Anna and I went to last July? The one with the delicious wine served in the bowls?

Please put the thread into a more open section, I picked it up as a new post. We do not all walk or follow the Francés section, but would still like to meet other forum members.
Identification:- In Exeter we have a waymark sticker we stand on the table, but in Santiago itself why not use one of Ivar's forum pack badges on a stick/wooden spoon (like used for table numbers).

Hi all,

It sounds like you are moving in the direction of a cafe, and that sounds wonderful. There are plenty of great cafes in Santiago, Tertulian would be one of them for all of the reasons listed already.

I would like to underline what John has said, and that we would love to be a place where you can meet other pilgrims. One of our goals at Pilgrim House is to be the place where pilgrims gather. As such, we would be more than happy for Pilgrim House to be a meeting point for you. That could be through our already planned 'meet-ups' or informally at any time that we are open. That could be to meet and hang out there or even meet there and head out to a cafe or restaurant of choice.

We do currently run what we call a "meet up" twice a week in Pilgrim House - Mondays and Thursdays at 5pm. We don't have immediate plans to change the time, but as we are new and testing these things out it is possible the days and times could change as we hit high season. It is very informal, we put out some simple snacks and drinks, and folks can drink from our coffee and tea - nothing fancy, but it's warm. Our main goal for meet-ups is simply to create space for pilgrims to meet each other and share stories. We might start the conversation with a few questions, but the most magical meet-ups happen when we get to listen to stories as pilgrims share with each other and ask each other great questions.

Bottom line - we think it's a great idea, and I hope some of our team can find time to attend over the course of the summer. I'm not trying to talk you out of a cafe - I just want to make it clear that it's for reasons like this that we exist and to let you know you would be very welcome in Pilgrim House. Regardless of where you meet, I hope many of you find time to stop in and see us at Pilgrim House when you come through Santiago.

Nate

Hi all,

It sounds like you are moving in the direction of a cafe, and that sounds wonderful. There are plenty of great cafes in Santiago, Tertulian would be one of them for all of the reasons listed already.

I would like to underline what John has said, and that we would love to be a place where you can meet other pilgrims. One of our goals at Pilgrim House is to be the place where pilgrims gather. As such, we would be more than happy for Pilgrim House to be a meeting point for you. That could be through our already planned 'meet-ups' or informally at any time that we are open. That could be to meet and hang out there or even meet there and head out to a cafe or restaurant of choice.

We do currently run what we call a "meet up" twice a week in Pilgrim House - Mondays and Thursdays at 5pm. We don't have immediate plans to change the time, but as we are new and testing these things out it is possible the days and times could change as we hit high season. It is very informal, we put out some simple snacks and drinks, and folks can drink from our coffee and tea - nothing fancy, but it's warm. Our main goal for meet-ups is simply to create space for pilgrims to meet each other and share stories. We might start the conversation with a few questions, but the most magical meet-ups happen when we get to listen to stories as pilgrims share with each other and ask each other great questions.

Bottom line - we think it's a great idea, and I hope some of our team can find time to attend over the course of the summer. I'm not trying to talk you out of a cafe - I just want to make it clear that it's for reasons like this that we exist and to let you know you would be very welcome in Pilgrim House. Regardless of where you meet, I hope many of you find time to stop in and see us at Pilgrim House when you come through Santiago.

Nate

Hi, Nate, I know we have had a conversation about your place before. I think it's very generous of you, and I'm certainly not trying to steal "business" away from you (though I know you are not in business), but I think the goal here is to have a place where forum members can go any day of the week. And rather than say, Mondays and Thursdays at 5 at the Pilgrim House, Tuesdays and Wednesdays somewhere else, etc etc, I just thought it would be better to have one consistent place every day. Also, the vast majority of people who have responded to me either on the thread or privately have suggested a 7 pm meeting time. So I think that's the direction we'll go for now, unless other forum members disagree. But I will be sure to stop in the Pilgrim House in July when arrive, and I'm sure a lot of other forum members will too. Buen camino, Laurie

I guess I'm leaning towards trying to find a cafe and I will call Tertulia tomorrow.

Am I right that a 400 m walk from the cathedral would not be a deal-breaker for people who have walked many many kms? :)

Si from me. And Thankyou Laurie
Regardless of the choice of place you settle on., I think it is a great idea.
The word will get around that there is a place to meet some of the Camino family at 7pm any evening .
There are often days following earlier departures of walking buddies where we sometimes walk around like lost souls.

I hope to find it up and running around 15th may
Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please put the thread into a more open section, I picked it up as a new post. We do not all walk or follow the Francés section, but would still like to meet other forum members.
Identification:- In Exeter we have a waymark sticker we stand on the table, but in Santiago itself why not use one of Ivar's forum pack badges on a stick/wooden spoon (like used for table numbers).

Hi, Tia, I think the thread is back in the News from Santiago section. I hope that this way it will attract the attention of people walking lots of Caminos. Actually, it's the non-Francés walkers who are frequently left alone at the end, since they´ve had so many fewer companions. And I would think that a lot of Francés walkers would like the opportunity to meet and talk with people who have walked other caminos -- since as we know, it´s often the case that your first Francés leads to a long term camino addiction. Anyway, I´m going to wait for a little while to call Tertulia, because Nate has thrown out another possibility in post 55 above and I would just like to let everyone weigh in with opinions on whether to go with Pilgrim House or a café, time or anything else.

I also like the idea of having a badge on a stick to identify the table. Thanks, Tia. Laurie

Hi, Tia, I think the thread is back in the News from Santiago section. I hope that this way it will attract the attention of people walking lots of Caminos. Actually, it's the non-Francés walkers who are frequently left alone at the end, since they´ve had so many fewer companions. And I would think that a lot of Francés walkers would like the opportunity to meet and talk with people who have walked other caminos -- since as we know, it´s often the case that your first Francés leads to a long term camino addiction. Anyway, I´m going to wait for a little while to call Tertulia, because Nate has thrown out another possibility in post 55 above and I would just like to let everyone weigh in with opinions on whether to go with Pilgrim House or a café, time or anything else.

I also like the idea of having a badge on a stick to identify the table. Thanks, Tia. Laurie
Maybe Ivar or you could start a poll on location and time? I think 7PM (19:00) suggestion is very good though.

Hola Laurie. Good location, both thread and meeting. A good time too, it makes it possible to go to Nate and Faith and also an evening get together so they can be complimentary rather than us having to choose. We will have limited time in Santiago but will watch the thread. :)

Hi, Nate, I know we have had a conversation about your place before. I think it's very generous of you, and I'm certainly not trying to steal "business" away from you (though I know you are not in business), but I think the goal here is to have a place where forum members can go any day of the week. And rather than say, Mondays and Thursdays at 5 at the Pilgrim House, Tuesdays and Wednesdays somewhere else, etc etc, I just thought it would be better to have one consistent place every day. Also, the vast majority of people who have responded to me either on the thread or privately have suggested a 7 pm meeting time. So I think that's the direction we'll go for now, unless other forum members disagree. But I will be sure to stop in the Pilgrim House in July when arrive, and I'm sure a lot of other forum members will too. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I actually am not worried about 'stealing' any business, as you are right, we're not in business (hehe). In no way is there anything for us to "own" about pilgrims getting together with fellow pilgrims. I totally get that it might be good for you to do this somewhere else for any number of good and valid reasons. From previous conversations I know you personally are aware of our presence. I hope it's Ok that I wanted it to be clear to others that we exist for much the same reason during all of our opening hours - that you all are very welcome - at any time.

Additionally, if you need help working with Tertulia, one of our teammates frequents the cafe and could probably make a face to face inquiry.

Ok, I do think that the next step is a poll. I have spoken with John Henry of the Café Tertulia, and he thinks it´s a great idea, and that the room off to the side would often be empty so we can go in there. He is open every day. He is happy to work with us in whatever we need. If you know him, you know this is not idle chatter.

But before I put up a poll to deal with time, I wonder if there are other places that people would recommend? Any other cafés that you think would be better?

Thanks everyone, Laurie

I think this is a good choice for a couple of reasons:

It is close to the new location of the Pilgrims office and will be easy for members to find.

It is off the normal pilgrim path so does not have large numbers of non-forum members...since the object of the meetup is to meet with "forum members". You can meet other pilgrims in any shop, restaurant, bar, etc in Santiago.

Ed

Someone floated the idea a while back of a bar, and no offense meant, but that would completely put me off. There may be others in the same boat. So the idea of a cafe (Tertulia or otherwise) is great. And I hope that by the time I get to Santiago in mid April this idea has already become a happy tradition! :)

Someone floated the idea a while back of a bar, and no offense meant, but that would completely put me off. There may be others in the same boat. So the idea of a cafe (Tertulia or otherwise) is great. And I hope that by the time I get to Santiago in mid April this idea has already become a happy tradition! :)

Hi, Viranani,

Thanks for your input. I think maybe you are conflating the Spanish word "bar" with the Spanish word "pub". Café and bar are indistinguishable in Spain. "Pub," however, is the place where essentially only alcohol is served and where the serious drinking happens. Bars are the neighborhood hangout for young and old, tea totalers or beer drinkers. And when you walk the camino you will find that you eat most of your breakfasts in a bar. :)

The Tertulia does not have the word bar in its name, I believe, yet wine, beer, and other alcoholic drinks are available. Hope this doesn´t confuse things too much, Laurie

Last edited:
Silly me, I had forgotten that--fixating on the post about the wine in bowls and imagining a "pub" scene rather than a "bar"scene!
Thanks, Laurie for the reminder...I have indeed had chocolate and churros in bars, every day on the road! (And for those who do drink, I'm glad there is wine, beer, etc available!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be in Santiago around Oct 9th-12th (ish) and again on Oct 21st. 7 pm sounds great and The Tertulia certainly sounds like a great place to meet up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love this idea and as a bonus have learned about the pilgrim gathering place that Nate runs. From the conversation thus far it would appear that my husband and I will be the only forum pilgrims arriving in late August - although I realize that we will be anything but alone in our travels!

I am very comfortable with just allowing Laurie to use her (experienced) judgement to set a time and place. I doubt a large group would ever be in complete agreement.

The idea has failed in the past as it was over-discussed and debated.

Does anyone not agree that Laurie should just make a decision based on the discussion so far??

€83,-
I agree it's important not to beat this to death -- we will then once again get paralyzed and do nothing. But there is one issue I would like a little more reverberation on -- the location of the Tertulia.

On the one hand, the Tertulia is about 400 m from the cathedral, but not in a pilgrim-heavy area. Many other bars would be more central.

BUT... as others have pointed out, it's a nice thing to get people out into a new area, it's still the old part of town (or just across the street from it), a very nice area at that, into a bar where we will be the only pilgrims. That was my thinking originally -- get out of the pilgrim hub-bub. It is also the beginning of the route to Finisterre, so you can follow the arrows from the parador if you get lost.

So will you guys give me some more feedback on whether the location of the Tertulia is a problem?

Here is a google map description and I've attached the map as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-03-02 16.56.56.png
    Screenshot 2015-03-02 16.56.56.png
    699.4 KB · Views: 17
Turtulia sounds ( looks) ideal IMO

Edit: Afterthought - I am happy to be the recipient of a benevolent dictator than insist on a democratic process

I never wondered down that part of town, have only been in the other 3 directions, so yes, let's do it - and generate some pilgrim income to a business that may not benefit from the whole "Camino thing". And if this catches on, perhaps the bar chosen could change every year or so to spread the "wealth" around.

Its seems a good idea, but I have to play my arrival date by ear.

I have had the good fortune to have eaten a breakfast and a few snacks at the Turtulia when I was in Santiago because it was cute; the staff was kind and welcoming to this exhausted pilgrim and her friends; and it was on the route between my albergue and the cathedral. I had one of those lovely rushes of nostalgia when I realized that I knew the cafe suggested in this thread. I would be very happy to meet other pilgrims there next time I'm in Santiago, and I do not think it is too far from the cathedral--but of course my albergue was about double that distance from the cathedral!

€46,-
I have had the good fortune to have eaten a breakfast and a few snacks at the Turtulia when I was in Santiago because it was cute; the staff was kind and welcoming to this exhausted pilgrim and her friends; and it was on the route between my albergue and the cathedral. I had one of those lovely rushes of nostalgia when I realized that I knew the cafe suggested in this thread. I would be very happy to meet other pilgrims there next time I'm in Santiago, and I do not think it is too far from the cathedral--but of course my albergue was about double that distance from the cathedral!

The albergue Piccata is referring to is, I believe, Roots and Boots, which is very close to the Tertulia. I would have linked to their webpage, but my computer warns against opening it. So here is the booking.com link, just in case any of you are looking for an albergue on the route to Finisterre, makes for a quick getaway the next morning. Ok, I'm encouraged by the feedback, thanks. Will waver for a little longer, just to give everyone a chance to weigh in.

The albergue Piccata is referring to is, I believe, Roots and Boots, which is very close to the Tertulia.

Yes peregrina2000, Roots and Boots is the albergue I was referring to. I didn't mention it by name because although it was acceptable, I didn't feel positively enough about it to recommend it here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1.When the new Pilgrim Office opens...it will be very close.

2. The owner is very receptive to the idea.

3. If it does not work out for any reason...we can always change the location in the future.
It is also rated as Number TWO out of 402 restaurants in Santiago on TripAdvisor!

I also like the idea of a regular meeting place for members of the forum in Santiago.

I walked the entire CF with that #%*!! Forum patch sewn on my backpack and not one person ever came up to me and said "Hey, I'm a member, too . . . etc."
All that wasted weight for nothing. NOTHING!!

And, yeah, I'd walk another half kilometer to the other side of town for a gin and tonic. Even if I had to pay for it myself.
;)
Buen Camino, see you all this spring/summer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, yes, he'd SURE like to see us every single night!

His wife and family would no doubt love that too.

We wouldn't expect them to feed us! What are we, barbarians??!!
We'd all do a pot luck. We'd all bring our left over candy bars, boxes of raisins, packets of dry soup, old sausages, etc. Bottles of water (unless someone is still carrying wine from the wine fountain).

What a feast!!

Yes peregrina2000, Roots and Boots is the albergue I was referring to. I didn't mention it by name because although it was acceptable, I didn't feel positively enough about it to recommend it here.

Hi, Piccata, Thanks for the heads up. I walked by it many times last year when I was in Santiago and wondered what it was like. Any specific complaints you´d care to share? Thanks, Laurie

€46,-
Any specific complaints you´d care to share?

Laurie- I'm reluctant to go into detail because it was three years ago now and it has most likely changed, but I found the bathrooms to be filthy, even by my been-on-the-road-for-5-weeks standards. However, the staff was warm and welcoming and I did like the location. Maybe someone wasn't showing up for work during the time I was there? It was acceptable, as I said, for the two nights I spent there, but I plan to try one of the other places I've read about here next time. -Meg

Like JohnnieW, I had also heard good things about it last year, so I´m guessing that things have improved since you were there. Good to know that your experience is from three years ago. I met a couple of people staying there (they were hanging out in La Tertulia) and they were happy. And it is definitely the best placed for those starting out in the morning for Finisterre. First a quick breakfast in la Tertulia (he opens between 7 and 7:30 depending on the season) and they you are on your way!

I also like the idea of a regular meeting place for members of the forum in Santiago.

I walked the entire CF with that #%*!! Forum patch sewn on my backpack and not one person ever came up to me and said "Hey, I'm a member, too . . . etc."
All that wasted weight for nothing. NOTHING!!

And, yeah, I'd walk another half kilometer to the other side of town for a gin and tonic. Even if I had to pay for it myself.
;)
Buen Camino, see you all this spring/summer.

I also walked all the way (August to September 2014) without meeting another member but the weight I could bear, such a pity but hey that is life. This time after the Camino Ingles in September I will have a place to head into and meet other members. Buen Camino

€149,-
Like JohnnieW, I had also heard good things about it last year, so I´m guessing that things have improved since you were there. Good to know that your experience is from three years ago. I met a couple of people staying there (they were hanging out in La Tertulia) and they were happy. And it is definitely the best placed for those starting out in the morning for Finisterre. First a quick breakfast in la Tertulia (he opens between 7 and 7:30 depending on the season) and they you are on your way!
One morning I was the first customer of the day. When I asked for a coffee the owner explained that the first customer each day had to say "Good Morning" to the coffee machine before it would work. I asked could the owner do this, but no, it had to be the customer. So I said "Good morning, coffee machine" and guess what - it worked!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous

AND (miracle of miracles) I read elsewhere in this forum that they have vegetarian food!!! (Some but of course not all...this is Spain/Galicia)
So I will be heading that way even if there are no others to meet. By the time I get to Santiago, I will be happy to eat something other than tortilla!

I'm in! My mom and I plan to arrive at the end of July. I would love to meet some forum members, wherever/whenever, though 7 at a cafe sounds ideal to me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be getting into Santiago sometime in early July, hope to see some of you there!

Davey

I'm in! My mom and I plan to arrive at the end of July. I would love to meet some forum members, wherever/whenever, though 7 at a cafe sounds ideal to me.

I will be in SdC at the end of July, also. KinkyOne has posted above that he will be there around the same time. Maybe we will have an opportunity to meet as a result of Laurie's project.
Thanks again for proposing this, Laurie!

Ok, I'm moving forward with the plan to make the Cafe Tertulia the official "meeting up" spot for forum members and all their friends. The Cafe is open 7 days a week, the owner is very accommodating and speaks perfect English, and the whole grain croissants are wonderful, so what more could you ask for?

I will keep everyone posted.

Should we have a place on the forum where people can announce their intentions to be at the Tertulia on such and such a date, or is that too organized and anal for our free spirit members?

Hi Laurie

I'd prefer pot luck. Eg. If I posted that I'd be there on specific day / time
and later had problems /having to bail out , it could also be a problem making contact again to explain.

If I make it on 15th may , being a Friday night - I'd still wander around to see if anyone was about. I'd go when I felt like a drink which could be before 7 or even later in the likelihood that someone else was thinking the same and had free time.
Annie

Laurie, it all sounds great!
p.s. I stayed at "Roots and Boots" twice this past fall, on the way to Muxia and after I returned, no complaints at all.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.