• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Melanie's Via de la Plata app

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I just wanted to give a shout out to Melanie and thank her for the GREAT VDLP application!
I have got it on my iPhone and just put it on my iPad so I could study it easier before I leave.
This is the only guide I'll take with me on the VDLP, plus a few notes of my own from friends on the forum.

The only thing that would make it better would be to have albergue info for each stage.
I realize that changes year to year, but it sure would be nice to have addresses and phone numbers of lodging up ahead.

Otherwise, great app and thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought it too! What I really like about it that it is updated almost by itself by the comments of (recent) pilgrims. Is it true that you can't see the route itself on it?

Downloaded the same app after appreciating that the paper guidebook has limited information about the towns along the way.

The app provides more detailed information about the towns along the way and also provides more detailed information about some of the special, toubllesome and unique sections of each stage. Also the stages in the app are a more manageable length as compared to the guidebook. There are additional web links to key tourist information for additional information too.

The app along with the accommodation schedule I put together should serve most people.

Overall I am very pleased with the app and the work Melanie has done putting this information together. Over all on the iPad it works well and generally well on the iPod ( some sites do not load well)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, there is a "map" option but it only gives you an overview, not maps of the individual sections.

It has blue lettering, for instance on the Sevilla to Camas section that says, "LOOKING AT THE SCROLLABLE MAP" but I haven't found the scrollable map yet, apparently.

Have you looked at the FREE Eroski Consumer Camino App?
It's in Spanish but quite good.
But I can't get the map on that one either, without it crashing. Frustrating as heck.

I printed out all the map stages of the Sanabres. I then cut them out and taped them into one long page and folded it. That will be my guia!

Anniesantiago said:
Well, there is a "map" option but it only gives you an overview, not maps of the individual sections.

It has blue lettering, for instance on the Sevilla to Camas section that says, "LOOKING AT THE SCROLLABLE MAP" but I haven't found the scrollable map yet, apparently.

But I can't get the map on that one either, without it crashing. Frustrating as heck.

I printed out all the map stages of the Sanabres. I then cut them out and taped them into one long page and folded it. That will be my guia!

I tried the same app and had the same issue and deleted it from my iPad

Anniesantiago said:
They don't have an app for Android devices. But I found another one for free, from IndepenTrip (it is called IT Via de la Plata). Big one, 114 MB, and yes, crashing quite a lot. But it has everything you need: maps (with route on it), itinerary, places to stay...

€149,-
Hi Annie,

Can you please tell me how to get Melanie's Via de la Plata app.

Thank you in advance, Sue

paulsue1230 said:
Hi Annie,

Can you please tell me how to get Melanie's Via de la Plata app.

Thank you in advance, Sue

Melanie's App is in the iPhone App store.
Search under via de la Plata or VdlP.

Don't think she has an Android version yet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I tried to post comments in Melanie's app several times, but they don't come through. While that was one of the things I really liked: that people on the road can update information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just walked from Seville to Santiago using Melanie's app - I can't recommend it enough! I had it on my phone and tablet just as a backup in case the batteries of one device went flat. I would recommend printing an overall map of the route though as well - that's the one thing I sometimes missed. The app was certainly money well spent!

I can also recommend Melanie's app. We walked VdlP April and May this year. We used also Peter Robins's maps (the Walking Pilgrim) which were also very good and complemented Melanie's app.

Just searched I-Tunes for this App.
Got Sutro and another one
Could owners please give the exact title
Would love to get it
Thankd

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are correct. It does not appear on either the Apple Store or the Sutro Media site ( it is there but the link does not work)

I just sent an email to Melanie to see if she can help. I too have been unable to download her app for iPhone. I'll post her reply.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just received this from Melanie.

Hi John.
I'm checking into this for you. The group that owns Sutro Media is reconfiguring itself and it seems apps are temporarily unavailable. I wish I knew more at this point. Stay tuned!
Melanie

I just sent an email to Melanie to see if she can help. I too have been unable to download her app for iPhone. I'll post her reply.
Thank you for asking her and for post her response.

This conversation started 2 1/2 years ago - do those of you who used the app think the information contained in it will still be useful next year? ie is it mainly stuff about the history of towns etc (and that is not going to change!) or is it heavily weighted towards detours and route problems that may no longer exist?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This conversation started 2 1/2 years ago - do those of you who used the app think the information contained in it will still be useful next year? ie is it mainly stuff about the history of towns etc (and that is not going to change!) or is it heavily weighted towards detours and route problems that may no longer exist?
I walked the Plata this March and found the app very useful. As a rule, I checked this Forum for current information on detours and open albergues. With the app and conversations with locals and any German (serious compliment as most German over-plan) you will have more information than you need.

I walked the Plata this March and found the app very useful. As a rule, I checked this Forum for current information on detours and open albergues. With the app and conversations with locals and any German (serious compliment as most German over-plan) you will have more information than you need.
The app is unavailable and I leave tomorrow. Is there any other app you heard about that was great?

The app is unavailable and I leave tomorrow. Is there any other app you heard about that was great?
I would download the Eroski ap. It's just called Camino and it's free. It's in Spanish, but it gives distances and accommodations, restaurants, etc, so you should be able to get some use out of it even if you don't speak Spanish. (If I remember correctly, you're starting in Ourense, so look for the Camino Sanabres) Buen camino, Noey, and let us know how it goes for you! Laurie

I would download the Eroski ap. It's just called Camino and it's free. It's in Spanish, but it gives distances and accommodations, restaurants, etc, so you should be able to get some use out of it even if you don't speak Spanish. (If I remember correctly, you're starting in Ourense, so look for the Camino Sanabres) Buen camino, Noey, and let us know how it goes for you! Laurie
Thank you! Beginning today!

I'm leaving Sevilla tomorrow for a quick week on VdlP. Armed with jirits accom list and Melanie's app. Hope to meet a couple of others. The CPI was very quiet early October.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.