• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Melon!!

Casserole

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 - Solo, SJPdP to Finisterre
2018 - Daughter (2) and Hubby, Sarria to SdC
I have been dreaming about the melon and ham appetizer/meal. Does anyone know what kind of melon it is?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Probably Charentais melon. When the melons are plentiful in Charente Maritime in France, locals halve the melons, empty out the seeds and fill the hollow with Pineau des charentes a local fortified wine. Delicious!

Last edited:
Probably Charentais melon. When the melons are plentiful in Charente Maritime in France locals halve the melons, empty out the seeds and fill the hollow with Pineau des charentes a local fortified wine. Delicious!

It was green, more like a honeydew (here in the states). But honestly, I'll eat any melon given to me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Charentais melons are yellow and sometimes a little more oval than round.

Last edited:
Mystery solved - It is honeydew!

Off to the store!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the UK, they are known as piel de sapo melons. They have recently become quite commonly available.

I have been dreaming about the melon and ham appetizer/meal. Does anyone know what kind of melon it is?
Also very popular in Portugal when we lived there; served with the Portuguese presunto. The nearest equivalent we have in the States is honeydew melon. The contrast of sweet and savory is wonderful!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my first trip to Spain I spent 10 days on retreat in Montserrat. The cafeteria there served the melon with local sheep's cheese for breakfast. I will always remember that. Refreshing and so delicious!

Mystery solved - It is honeydew!

No, @peregrina2000 and @Felice are both correct. It's piel de sapo, aka Santa Claus melon.

Screenshot_20190718-080416_Firefox.jpg

I also adore the Spanish melon. It's not a honeydew, though, at least not the honeydews I have eaten here. I have only seen it once or twice in my local grocery store and it had the name of Santa Claus melon.
In the UK, they are known as piel de sapo melons. They have recently become quite commonly available.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love the debate this melon has brought! The closest I could find was honeydew. It wasn't as delicious but it curbed my craving.

Thanks for all the melon info!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I sit with my craving for a Spanish melon unabated, i wonder if anyone has any ideas why this melon is not readily available in the US, or at least in my part of the US.

Do any of you get it at home in the US? I will be very jealous.

Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. This is sort of the same feeling I have about conference pears, which I devour on the Camino. They just don’t sell them in my area.

As I sit with my craving for a Spanish melon unabated, i wonder if anyone has any ideas why this melon is not readily available in the US, or at least in my part of the US.

Do any of you get it at home in the US? I will be very jealous.

Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. This is sort of the same feeling I have about conference pears, which I devour on the Camino. They just don’t sell them in my area.
I grew up eating this kind of melon in California, and I can buy it almost as easily in Oregon where I live now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably Charentais melon. When the melons are plentiful in Charente Maritime in France, locals halve the melons, empty out the seeds and fill the hollow with Pineau des charentes a local fortified wine. Delicious!
My mother used to use port. A wonderful starter 😎

Now tell me you also get conference pears and I will REALLY be jealous.
Despite the fact that Oregon's state fruit is the pear, and the "fruit of the month" mail order company Harry & David is located in my town, I have never heard of a conference pear, though I have seen some that are a similar shape, but I can't remember their name.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Despite the fact that Oregon's state fruit is the pear, and the "fruit of the month" mail order company Harry & David is located in my town, I have never heard of a conference pear, though I have seen some that are a similar shape, but I can't remember their name.
Actually, the conference pears look similar to Bosc pears, which we do have here.

bosc pear.jpg

I always assumed a Conference pear was French.... Not so, according to Google it is British 😳

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So as between “frog skin melon” and “Santa Claus melon”, which would you rather eat?!
I was told it was snake skin melon, totally delish and refreshing after a hot day walking. I did manage to get some local seed and grow them in my tunnel house but they weren't as tastey as the Spanish ones, probably need more heat or pig shit.

On the plus side we have Conference, Bosc and Aristocrat pears in our orchard along with a host of perry pears, I carefully store the pears so I can eat them in winter with some local blue cheese and our walnuts, washed down with the pear cider... it's not Spain, but it's tasty.

In Spain the most usual melón eaten with ham is the so called "piel de sapo" (frog skin), but in north of France it used to be the Cantaloup variety (there is a good article about it in the english wikipedia).
Again in Spain, the most similar to the Cantaloup is the Galia variety, but this one is more white while the Cantaloup tends to be more orange than yellow. Fleur and Domingee name addition of sweet wine, this was also right in north of Fance (although not for the children...)

Post-data, in France, northen France, the ham was from the belgian Ardennes.
I speak in past because it will be soon 50 years I let Flanders to Valencia!

Last edited:
Neither, says this vegetarian. Besides, Santa Claus is more hype than substance.;)
Hey, VN, I see you are a veg. and going on the Invierno this year. Could you let me know at what places you eat or if you had any trouble finding veg food? Much appreciated.

Are you vegan, @Mycroft ?
If so it will be a challenge. Otherwise, eggs and cheese are easy to find as alternatives to what is on most menus.

It is harder on the Invierno to find vegetarian food than it is on the Frances, without having to ask for something separate, off-menu. Usually I ordered salad and whatever else the restaurant could make; it was usually tortilla francesca (an omelet, basically). There were one or two exceptions, but it was at times a little monotonous.

Things that stand out in retrospect:
Las Medulas on a Tuesday is a hard place to find anything to eat. Be prepared.
I got a wonderful meal at bar Pepa in A Rua.
In Barxa do Lor, the owners of Pension Pacita were extremely kind, and made a delicious tortilla francesca.
Meson Lucas in Chantada also did a beautiful meal.
The pizza place in Lalin (Casa do Gato) was a very nice change (you get the albergue key there, too...).

By the end of the walk I finally realized the best meals were the ones that came when I said something like, "This looks very nice, but I'm sorry - I'm vegetarian (explaining no meat, fish, seafood, poultry or ham) - What can you make me?" and leaving it up to them. Usually the server would go back to the kitchen and return with something that was an option.

Being polite but clear, as well as humble and appreciative - And allowing the chef to be creative - that attitude went a very long way.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tried this in SJPP this week. Wow! Now to find how to get them in Arizona, because it is delicious!

Attachments

• IMG_20190817_141956641.jpg
    IMG_20190817_141956641.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.