• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meltdowns. How did/do you handle them?

joecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 CF
I fly out to Europe tonight, and expect to have some amazing experiences on my Camino. Based on what I've read and heard from others, possibly some pretty challenging ones too.

So...anyone care to share a story of hitting the wall / having a meltdown on their Camino-- or seeing someone else have one-- and then overcoming? This forum's wisdom and kindness already helped me commit to doing this. I'm pretty sure something here might make a difference when things get hard. Thanks! :)

images

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A very good question. I hit the wall after ten days both physically and mentally, spiritually I was fine and I think that's what got me through.
At the beginning of my Camino I met an ex forces guy from New Zealand, very strong and determined. After 5 days he had a complete breakdown and someone in our group had to make arrangements via her husband to get him back home, such a shame, he was such a nice guy and if you put a bet on whether he would complete the journey you'd say he would.

Coming up against the wall happens more than we think and I guess different people handle it different ways, myself I got a good nights sleep and then started taking things a lot slower.

yes, good question! I think that for everyone there will be a moment when it can all seem too much, when the lack of sleep, the physical discomfort, the lack of privacy, the lack of creature comforts, in fact the lack of anything familiar, can start to take its toll. It usually happens at very particular points on the camino: I've seen quite a few crisis moments at around the one week mark, for example, after the initial excitement has worn off, and people are feeling physically and mentally exhausted. There are also moments when people start to feel 'exposed', when their walls start to break down and lots of stuff comes to the surface: feelings of inadequacy, fears, anger, abandonment issues, you name it. What's amazing about the camino, in my experience at least, is that you're surrounded by people on a similar journey, or at least have a similar intention, so you tend to get a lot of space and support. And yes, there's a lot of 'wisdom' on the camino - you will meet people who will change your life, and possibly tell you exactly what you needed to hear in a certain moment, if you're open to it.

Practically speaking, I don't think there's anything wrong occasionally staying in a pension or a hostel (preferably one that has a bath!) once in a while to recharge one's batteries. Does the trick for me at least: after an evening flicking through Spanish tv channels and good night's sleep, I feel like a different person. And I guess it also helps to remind oneself that, whatever one is feeling, that "this too will pass."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Meltdowns ? :rolleyes: .... now you talking my language .... at 60 yrs I have had a lot of practice ..... :cool:

My greatest meltdowns happen in the timespan between two weeks before taking an adventure until sitting in the seat on the plane ... I kid you not ! I often ask myself why I put myself through this ? When it is so comfortable at home .
There then lies the answer ... the Comfort Zone .... don't we all love it BUT there is no growth to be made in the comfort zone .... we have to go outside for the growth ....

Once on my journey I feel better because I am excited , observing , working things out , watching others work things out .
I try to STAY IN THE MOMENT ... less chance for the mind to spiral out of control ... minds spiral if we try to deal with the big picture ... rather than ... just BE .

Yes there will be challenges but just deal with one at a time .... don't envisage all the possible challenges they might not arrive .

I went to sleep most nights thinking that's enough BUT I woke eager to get on the track and walk. I avoid night time thinking as it never goes well.

Don't take on other people's mind stress! There are some inspirational people out there for sure and most of those walk in calm silence I believe .
But there are also people who wil push your buttons , crowd your mind , spoil your peace , share their inner turmoil thus creating turmoil for you if you let it ..... walk on ! Do what YOU need to do not what others think you should do ..... do listen to advice but then ask yourself is this advice right for me ?

Stay in private accommodation along the way to take a break if that is what you need to do .... get to know your inner self .

Ultreia :D

I fly out to Europe tonight, and expect to have some amazing experiences on my Camino. Based on what I've read and heard from others, possibly some pretty challenging ones too.

So...anyone care to share a story of hitting the wall / having a meltdown on their Camino-- or seeing someone else have one-- and then overcoming? This forum's wisdom and kindness already helped me commit to doing this. I'm pretty sure something here might make a difference when things get hard. Thanks! :)

images

You'll be fine ;) if you're not, take a rest day. (Or two...)
All the very best.

Hola Joe,
Great question.

I can tell you about a meltdown that didn't happen - my Camino buddy woke up one morning with about 15 bedbug bites all over his body. If that had been me I would've railed and ranted all day, and hibernated so I could scratch in peace. But Julian just kept saying over and over again, super cheerfully, while scratching everything and putting anti-itch cream on, "We're on the Camino, guys! Today is the best day ever! Bedbugs are just a part of the Camino experience. Today is the best day ever!" (Seriously, he was that enthusiastic. Made most of us crack up.)

Of course we can't be like that all the time (I know I'm not! Especially when it comes to bugs!) so I was impressed by his willingness to receive whatever came his way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Joe,
Great question.

I can tell you about a meltdown that didn't happen - my Camino buddy woke up one morning with about 15 bedbug bites all over his body. If that had been me I would've railed and ranted all day, and hibernated so I could scratch in peace. But Julian just kept saying over and over again, super cheerfully, while scratching everything and putting anti-itch cream on, "We're on the Camino, guys! Today is the best day ever! Bedbugs are just a part of the Camino experience. Today is the best day ever!" (Seriously, he was that enthusiastic. Made most of us crack up.)

Of course we can't be like that all the time (I know I'm not! Especially when it comes to bugs!) so I was impressed by his willingness to receive whatever came his way.

My vote for the best story :D .....

I know I was the same with my blisters ... they were my pet project and kept me firmly in the Now ... I almost rejoiced in the lessons they gave me ...

I don't know if I could have handled bed bugs .... I did get 3 bites which stayed me .... but I think not from a bed... it crawled out from under my sleeve after giving a fairwell hug to a walker I had met who was taking a different side walk ... :rolleyes:

Meltdowns? Hmmm....
Can't say anything about walking across beautiful northern Spain, while on holiday, drinking great wine, good beer, wonderful food and meeting all kinds of cool people would cause me to have a meltdown, and I'll go out on a limb here and say why would anyone have a meltdown? It ain't life and death. Walking the Camino ain't life and death, and the dang thing is on average only about one month long. To me it's a pretty damn cool way to spend about a month.
Now certainly anyone can hit physical walls. That's nothing unusual. The knees or the feet get flared up. Old injuries come into play. Painful blisters make it difficult to walk, etc. I really don't see those as meltdowns. Only as physical barriers which certainly are capable of hurting someone enough to stop their Camino.
but discomfort or inconveniences from communal living and the like? Nah. If that bothers someone so much, they should as they say, get a room. There, problem solved.
Don't overthink the wonderful walk you are about to do.
ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My biggest wall was after Cruz de Ferro. I had walked with my little sister's ashes all the way from SJPP and left them there (as she requested) and kept walking, but now without the comfort of at least her remains with me. I felt totally alone, couldn't talk or eat or sleep. I wanted to go home. I felt it was all over. The next day I stopped in Church and talked to a little retired priest in the back of the sanctuary who told me my Camino was not over. I had walked in honor of Fay, but I had walked for ME. So I continued on to Santiago, and I am glad I did.
My whole life has been like that. I'm walking along and BOOM! There's suddenly a boulder in my path. I can go around, over, dig under, blow it up, or sit and cry. So I climb over and BOOM!
There's a giant log in my path. I can go over it, have a bonfire, build a house out of it, or hire a crane and move it. I build a bonfire. (don't judge) and then BOOM...
You get the idea.
You never know what you're gonna encounter in life, so be MacGyver and always carry a paperclip and duct tape.
And don't give up.

So...anyone care to share a story of hitting the wall / having a meltdown on their Camino
Can't say anything about walking across beautiful northern Spain, while on holiday, drinking great wine, good beer, wonderful food and meeting all kinds of cool people would cause me to have a meltdown, and I'll go out on a limb here and say why would anyone have a meltdown? I
On this occasion I am 100% with @Mark Lee. I am not a person who goes through life with rose coloured glasses, but i don't normally use meltdowns to cope with life so why would I do so on the Camino?

Meltdowns, "walls," extreme physical suffering and emotional turmoil are certainly not inevitable on the camino. I have never experienced them. I guess I am a boringly stable person!

I've seen a former alcoholic fall off the wagon spectacularly in Rioja, and have to be sent home. Wine at EUR1 a bottle isn't great for sobriety.
I've had meltdowns in everyday life but never on a camino. In the end it's all within your control. There is no boss breathing down your neck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I fly out to Europe tonight, and expect to have some amazing experiences on my Camino.

You probably will have some amazing experiences, but you should leave your expectations of what the Camino experience will give you at home. Disappointment can lead to meltdowns.

That's so funny. I wasn't that cheerful when I discovered a couple of bedbug bites, and saw the culprits in my dorm, but I did joke that the bedbugs did complete my Camino experience. It certainly wasn't the end of the world, and I was lucky that the few hours that I spent wearing nothing but a towel while all my clothing and bedding was washed and dried was the worst weather of my entire time on the Camino. So basically I had nothing else to do but sit around in a towel. It was quite an icebreaker as new pilgrims arrived at the albergue.
Meltdowns? Hmmm....
Can't say anything about walking across beautiful northern Spain, while on holiday, drinking great wine, good beer, wonderful food and meeting all kinds of cool people would cause me to have a meltdown, and I'll go out on a limb here and say why would anyone have a meltdown? It ain't life and death. Walking the Camino ain't life and death, and the dang thing is on average only about one month long. To me it's a pretty damn cool way to spend about a month.
My sentiments exactly. :)
I did have one afternoon when I felt all alone, and got kind of teary. I had walked at the beginning with a Camino "family". But after about 10 days we had mostly gone our separate ways. I kept seeing happy laughing groups of pilgrims, and I was feeling pretty lonely.
Later that evening though, I had dinner with a bunch of people who I had met previously, plus a few more, and I realized that to an outsider I was part of a happy laughing group of pilgrims. Maybe not all day, every day, but several of the other people at that table that night talked about walking alone all day.

Meltdowns, "walls," extreme physical suffering and emotional turmoil are certainly not inevitable on the Camino. I have never experienced them. I guess I am a boringly stable person!

Tend to agree. Not the boring bit ;)

There are good days and bad days. That's life. Physical challenges, Emotional challenges and maybe Spiritual challenges.
Stay objective. It's just a walk after all. Remind yourself why you are there.
Just keep moving West, however slowly.

And it can help not to think about the size of the task ahead of you. Though seeing signs that remind you that there are only 555 kms to go are not always helpful :oops:
I just focused on each day as it came. Sometimes just the next village, and the next, and the top of that hill....or a coffee in about 2 hours...

It was only just before Sarria that I actually started to think about how far I still had to go. And that made me a bit sad because it would be over soon. Mostly I thought about how far I had managed to come.....in all aspects.

Mostly.........it's just a wonderful walk in nature with some great company (if you want it)

Don't overthink it.......

My sentiments exactly. :)
I did have one afternoon when I felt all alone, and got kind of teary. I had walked at the beginning with a Camino "family". But after about 10 days we had mostly gone our separate ways. I kept seeing happy laughing groups of pilgrims, and I was feeling pretty lonely.
Later that evening though, I had dinner with a bunch of people who I had met previously, plus a few more, and I realized that to an outsider I was part of a happy laughing group of pilgrims. Maybe not all day, every day, but several of the other people at that table that night talked about walking alone all day.
Yes, it was so easy to find another group of people to meet and hang out with, even for just a few days, and sometimes just for one day.
I remember when I walked the CF in 2014 I ended up with 3-4 groups I walked with for several days at one time or another before I reached Santiago. It was so cool all seeing them again there and going out to eat and such with them.

It's a vacation. Yes it's physically demanding, and nights are iffy on poor quality mattress, but it's a holiday.

You can go back home when ever you want. You can bail and head to the beach (and think about what you are missing), you can walk shorter days, take a rest day, taxi or bus ahead if you want to stay in sync with walking buddies.

Sure beats behing harrassed at work, stuck in a Montreal never ending winter.

Ok, I have never loved my bed as much as I have since coming back from this walk, but I so miss the sunlight, the gorgeous walks, the camaradery with people I've mever met before,even of it is just polite chitchat.

If those is your wave are not motivating you to walk, take a day off, make a shorter etapa and see who is coming behind. Met a wonderful person midway this time who slowed down to walk at my pace. I know that made the walk very pleasant.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was heading to a melt down ( ok I went in to it) at the end of my Camino- I had gone on to Finesterre and then Muxia and made arrangements to spend time at a retreat- It was very important to me to end my time there for contemplation, recovery and closure after carrying my brother's ashes.

I had reservations set up, confirmed but stopping getting responses to my emails, and when the day of my arrival came, I could not raise anyone. Tears, frustration, anger.
I even used a local's cell phone trying different ways to get a hold of them (long after I had made other arrangements, that poor soul was receiving calls from the retreat house personnel)

I had expectations that weren't met- So I cried, drank a bit of café con leche, took some deep calming breathes, realized it WASN'T going to happen, accepted that, and then set out to find different living space- and I (lucked?) into one of the nicest Albergues I'd ever been in. I got my closure another way and have no regrets.

In fact, it turned out that the people running the retreat were apparently in a place of such flux and emotional upheaval that it WOULDN'T been what I needed- Saved by Grace

I had expectations that weren't met-
It's those unmet expectations that will get you every time!
That's the reason that I limited my Camino prep to gear selection, and transportation to and from the Camino. I didn't read up on the history, special village churches, festivals, etc. I just wanted to enjoy each moment without those sneaky expectations lurking around, just waiting to let me down.

Unmet expectations ... there is a reason why Camino 2 is a disappointment For so many.

On the fist one you had a "family". The C2 you walked alone. But because you had no buddies, no love interest, it was difficult.

Guess what? C2 is the norm and what it's about. The C is not a dating game, a match making service.

Dig in, deep. Sunny mild temps or horrible rain or charring temps.

Bring it back to you. Not what you expected or what others can make it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A very good question. I hit the wall after ten days both physically and mentally, spiritually I was fine and I think that's what got me through.
At the beginning of my Camino I met an ex forces guy from New Zealand, very strong and determined. After 5 days he had a complete breakdown and someone in our group had to make arrangements via her husband to get him back home, such a shame, he was such a nice guy and if you put a bet on whether he would complete the journey you'd say he would.

Coming up against the wall happens more than we think and I guess different people handle it different ways, myself I got a good nights sleep and then started taking things a lot slower.

Wow. What made a special forces guy breakdown?
I've been around US Navy Seals and one of my best friends back in the day was US Army special forces.
There a different kind of animal. A Camino should be a walk in the park for them.

I've been around US Navy Seals and one of my best friends back in the day was US Army special forces.
There a different kind of animal. A Camino should be a walk in the park for them.
Maybe because the type of "bar" is different? Including no adrenal stimulation, unless it's from within?

Joe, I have not read what others have said here, but I definitely will because I love your question. I know you have a wonderful sense of humor, so I think you may be able to understand the levity of this meltdown. We were in the middle; people are not happy there - basically everyone is melting down, but also figuring stuff out (like how to get a taxi :) ). We had a family emergency and had to head to Salamanca for a few days to take our son, who was in a study abroad program there, to the hospital because he was seriously ill (Side note: Google translator came in very handy at the hospital). We shared our taxi ride with a young Australian woman. Peter and I were so bummed to be leaving, but she was very vocal about her experience. She said, "I thought I was going for a nice walk, maybe get out into nature" . . . then she turned and looked me straight in the eye and yelled, "I HATED IT!" We all laughed. It may not seem funny reading it, but midway, you will get it. I wish you a wonderful adventure; I hope you don't hit the same wall our taxi mate did.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Going into full cliche mode, and if you replace Meltdown with Extremely challenging Situation, I think I got through tough days by consciously recognizing that everything I had done up to that day was in preparation for that very moment so I made a decision to accept that I had been given the tools to get through and it was simply up to me to do so. Corny, yes. Cliche, yes. Dramatic, no. By changing my paradigm I saw everything in a positive light and ended each day happy and content. I hope this for you as well, Joe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've walked over 2000km on caminos and spent nearly 100 nights in albergues and can say I've never seen or heard of anyone walking at the same time as me having a meltdown. Sure there have been a few who simply could not continue due to tendonitis or other show-stopper conditions but those are physical conditions and rarely fully controllable or easy to overcome.

However, I have overheard a few grumbles, tutts, moans and sniffy attitudes (bordering on mini meltdown rants) about albergue life and these seem to come from the types of walkers that use casa rural/ hotel options most of the time. Maybe it's harder to transition back and forth between basic "army" type life in albergues to the soft option of soaking in a bath and surfing Spanish soap operas on tv and getting a snore free night's sleep? Some people do also seem to be a bit too anal and territorial when it comes to complaining about other peoples' washing or belongings encroaching on their bunk space (bordering on plain nasty). Again my guess is these are the types who have not spent the last 20 odd days in albergues or who only started their walk a few days ago (more noticeable closer to ScD).

It's a good idea to be in good shape with a good footware solution in place before starting the walk inorder to fully enjoy the holiday but the camino is as difficult as you make it for yourself both physically and mentally. It is not the AT or Pacific Crest trail. Walk until you don't want to walk anymore, stop, rest, walk some more the next day. Cheap tasty food and drink, great countryside and good company...

That is just my own experience so far. Of course there will always be people dealing with issues they bring with them to the camino and the whole experience maybe makes it easier for feelings to surface. In general I don't feel the camino itself presents enough of a physical and mental challenge for the majority of walkers to trigger meltdowns unless they entered into the undertaking lightly with unrealistic expectations and hampered by poor preparation (maybe even compounded by expecting the camino to miraculously provide an answer or solution to some issue.)

I've walked over 2000km on caminos and spent nearly 100 nights in albergues and can say I've never seen or heard of anyone walking at the same time as me having a meltdown. Sure there have been a few who simply could not continue due to tendonitis or other show-stopper conditions but those are physical conditions and rarely fully controllable or easy to overcome.

However, I have overheard a few grumbles, tutts, moans and sniffy attitudes (bordering on mini meltdown rants) about albergue life and these seem to come from the types of walkers that use casa rural/ hotel options most of the time. Maybe it's harder to transition back and forth between basic "army" type life in albergues to the soft option of soaking in a bath and surfing Spanish soap operas on tv and getting a snore free night's sleep? Some people do also seem to be a bit too anal and territorial when it comes to complaining about other peoples' washing or belongings encroaching on their bunk space (bordering on plain nasty). Again my guess is these are the types who have not spent the last 20 odd days in albergues or who only started their walk a few days ago (more noticeable closer to ScD).

It's a good idea to be in good shape with a good footware solution in place before starting the walk inorder to fully enjoy the holiday but the camino is as difficult as you make it for yourself both physically and mentally. It is not the AT or Pacific Crest trail. Walk until you don't want to walk anymore, stop, rest, walk some more the next day. Cheap tasty food and drink, great countryside and good company...

That is just my own experience so far. Of course there will always be people dealing with issues they bring with them to the camino and the whole experience maybe makes it easier for feelings to surface. In general I don't feel the camino itself presents enough of a physical and mental challenge for the majority of walkers to trigger meltdowns unless they entered into the undertaking lightly with unrealistic expectations and hampered by poor preparation (maybe even compounded by expecting the camino to miraculously provide an answer or solution to some issue.)

You will know a meltdown when you see one.
I remember three in my life. Two in boot camp ( Navy boot camp which is really not that tough. More mental than physical ) and one of those was the guys own fault. Jumping in the pool when he knew he couldn't swim.
The third was my dad losing it when the Yankees beat the Dodgers in the World Series for the second time in a row. 1978 I believe.
He threw a 13 inch TV out the kitchen window.
I was like oh s&?t

He threw a 13 inch TV out the kitchen window.
I was like oh s&?t
Your dad has style.

Thinking about it, the one thing that would make me melt down is overcrowding / bed racing. From the start I have made a conscious decision to avoid this absolutely. I have never ever raced for a bed, I would rather go at a worse weather time, or finish my day early. I think overcrowding and competition brings out the worst in everyone. I live in London and I know all about that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Just re-read that. Ex Forces, not special forces. Different beast altogether ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

images
J

Hi Joe,
You'll be on your way or even there by the time you read this.

I think I understand what you are asking.

If I may, I offer you this piece of advice.

It helps me to "walk in the moment". By that I mean that I don't think about how far I still have to walk that day; I try to think about how far I have walked, how I feel, what am I seeing, hearing, smelling and who is around me?

When was the last time I drank and ate, should I do that now?

Why don't I just stop for 20 minutes and take my boots and socks off, even if I am feeling ok?

Am I walking slowly enough to really enjoy this?

If I do get to the stage of feeling bad. A taxi or bus to my destination that day and I have a very short or rest day the following day.
Buen (melt-down free) Camino.

Last edited:
Your dad has style.

Thinking about it, the one thing that would make me melt down is overcrowding / bed racing. From the start I have made a conscious decision to avoid this absolutely. I have never ever raced for a bed, I would rather go at a worse weather time, or finish my day early. I think overcrowding and competition brings out the worst in everyone. I live in London and I know all about that.
Not sure about style. More like frustration LOL
I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the alburgues and try & stay in hotels.
I'm going in July & have no ambition to deal with the overcrowding & being home by 10

Joe, you'll be arriving soon, so happy start to your Camino! Some of us are more the quietly imploding type and don't really have actual meltdowns, but there were a few stressful points, and I found that texting home just to whine/whinge a little bit helped - they always seem to know comforting words to say. As far as meltdowns go, two that I saw were probably just cultural differences (local people) - people screaming and behaving badly about seemingly very little, but about things they evidently felt really strongly about. The third was a tired, angry peregrino probably at the end of a long day who possibly misunderstood a situation and went completely ballistic when I couldn't answer his question about the cathedral in Astorga. Although the first two were almost amusing, the third guy was really out of the box. Mostly I hear people say that talking/making a connection with another person helped them when they felt really stressed or lonely, make getting through whatever was going on less of a struggle. You'll likely run across others who are struggling when you're not, and you can give them some kind words. That's kind of how it works, I think - complete strangers helping each other back and forth the whole way to Santiago. Oh yes, and check what John said - HALT - am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired?

My biggest wall was after Cruz de Ferro. I had walked with my little sister's ashes all the way from SJPP and left them there (as she requested) and kept walking, but now without the comfort of at least her remains with me. I felt totally alone, couldn't talk or eat or sleep. I wanted to go home. I felt it was all over. The next day I stopped in Church and talked to a little retired priest in the back of the sanctuary who told me my Camino was not over. I had walked in honor of Fay, but I had walked for ME. So I continued on to Santiago, and I am glad I did.
My whole life has been like that. I'm walking along and BOOM! There's suddenly a boulder in my path. I can go around, over, dig under, blow it up, or sit and cry. So I climb over and BOOM!
There's a giant log in my path. I can go over it, have a bonfire, build a house out of it, or hire a crane and move it. I build a bonfire. (don't judge) and then BOOM...
You get the idea.
You never know what you're gonna encounter in life, so be MacGyver and always carry a paperclip and duct tape.
And don't give up.

BRILLIANT !

Mud. Walking in the mud on the day we went from Burgos to Hontanas triggered my meltdown. It really slowed me down. I walked alone so my bad attitude wouldn't ruin anyone else's day and continued to say "Buon Camino", though I'm pretty sure my immediate thought was "What's so good about it?". After some tears, a mini-tantrum and a pity party, I pulled myself together by thinking about what a baby I was being, especially when compared with pilgrims from centuries past who didn't have all the great gear that I had or access to washing machines and hot showers.

€60,-
I never had a 'real meltdown.' But many days I freaked out to sit down and cry. Apparently a banana, water and dry socks made everything better. Something I try to remember now whenever life seems to explode. Hope that helps.
:D... haha the responses here should surely give you the idea that you don't have anything to worry about !

ULTREIA

There seem to be two schools of thought here. "Meltdown? Why!?," and "Oh, yeah...I get it."

Maybe different intentions for walking?
I don't walk to be a tourist, but to peel away layers of habitual avoidance and to see/test my edges, of all sorts. So there are moments.

The bottom line for me is remembering to find a way to stay in the present and to keep from getting totally sucked into the gravitational field of whatever it is - keeping a balanced perspective by consciously noticing the incredibly pleasant surroundings, really letting in where I am. That helps a lot, as does stopping for a cafe de leche or Kas limon, and connecting with others.

We're all in the same boat. Because others may be having an even harder time, the empathy gets me out of my little ego bubble into a bigger place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When all is dark , your spirit falters and you feel all alone .
There is always chocolate !

Incidentally , what is Spanish chocolate like ?

Aaahhhh you've yet to try Spanish chocolate for the first time!!! It's like a thick, rich, smooth hot chocolate pudding - the perfect vehicle for warm churros, or just to be sipped on its own.

When you get to Santiago, try Chocolatería Metate on Rúa do Preguntoiro, 12. Warm, crispy churros with thick, delicious chocolate.

Yum! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My guess would be that it wasn't the physical activity but the silent alone time. Special forces people tend to be high octane on the go types. Give them time to think and they remember all the loss friends died their own wounds. Not surprising that people hit the wall when they are alone. Seems to me though that this is what brings you deeper. You get to meet yourself sometimes for the first time!

Aaahhhh you've yet to try Spanish chocolate for the first time!!! It's like a thick, rich, smooth hot chocolate pudding - the perfect vehicle for warm churros, or just to be sipped on its own.

When you get to Santiago, try Chocolatería Metate on Rúa do Preguntoiro, 12. Warm, crispy churros with thick, delicious chocolate.

Yum! :)
Natefaith, that alone could propel someone to Santiago! Added to plans and thank you!

€60,-
Meltdowns? Hmmm....
Now certainly anyone can hit physical walls. That's nothing unusual. The knees or the feet get flared up. Old injuries come into play. Painful blisters make it difficult to walk, etc. I really don't see those as meltdowns. Only as physical barriers which certainly are capable of hurting someone enough to stop their Camino.
but discomfort or inconveniences from communal living and the like? Nah. If that bothers someone so much, they should as they say, get a room. There, problem solved.
Don't overthink the wonderful walk you are about to do.
ultreia
Hi mark..I see that you are an experienced walker..I'm arriving in sjpdp on may 30 to do my first Camino.im a bit concerned of course that I won't be able to complete it and have so many doubts (am I taking too much,what stuff do I pack etc)but I really am looking forward to it..luckily I'm going with a mate who's done the Camino Frances twice.the second time he did it in four weeks and assures me we will be able to do it in five..I know it's not a race but do you think this is wise...I have been doing walks about 20 k a few times a week so as to prepare.im reasonably in good health 55 years young and medium build....also any other advice would be appreciated..cheers

hi Baggie,
Don't worry about it! Going with a friend partner spouse etc is great just allow time to be apart. You have to walk at your own pace. If not you risk getting hurt. The Camino should be looked at as an adventure. For some it's a religious endeavor for others a spiritual thing and others a challenge and still others a walking holiday. As many people are so there are many different Caminos. I would agree to meet up at whatever town you want to stop at and go your own pace. You might need to go slower at first until you find your own rhythm. Just walking is success! A true Camino is a lifetime! Just my little opinion...

hi Baggie,
Don't worry about it! Going with a friend partner spouse etc is great just allow time to be apart. You have to walk at your own pace. If not you risk getting hurt. The Camino should be looked at as an adventure. For some it's a religious endeavor for others a spiritual thing and others a challenge and still others a walking holiday. As many people are so there are many different Caminos. I would agree to meet up at whatever town you want to stop at and go your own pace. You might need to go slower at first until you find your own rhythm. Just walking is success! A true Camino is a lifetime! Just my little opinion...
Thanks Micah.we get to Biarritz on may 30 th so it's exactly 4 weeks today we begin walking...are you on Camino then

I have mini meltdowns because I am NOT ON THE CAMINO, and may never be able to be there again, my first and only and most wonderful Camino experience was in 2009 and I have been dreaming of going again ever since. I get quite panicky when I think that the years are going by and finances are getting more and more difficult. So, all of you lucky ones still being able to walk as and when you choose, just appreciate the fact that you are doing a wonderful and uplifting camino.

Thanks Micah.we get to Biarritz on may 30 th so it's exactly 4 weeks today we begin walking...are you on Camino then
I will walk after my mother passes. Then I will walk in her memory as well as for my friend Nancy who died last year of cancer. Until then I can only give support from afar. Have a wonderful time... come what may!

Hi mark..I see that you are an experienced walker..I'm arriving in sjpdp on may 30 to do my first Camino.im a bit concerned of course that I won't be able to complete it and have so many doubts (am I taking too much,what stuff do I pack etc)but I really am looking forward to it..luckily I'm going with a mate who's done the Camino Frances twice.the second time he did it in four weeks and assures me we will be able to do it in five..I know it's not a race but do you think this is wise...I have been doing walks about 20 k a few times a week so as to prepare.im reasonably in good health 55 years young and medium build....also any other advice would be appreciated..cheers
Five weeks is a reasonable time frame. I always walked it within 35 days and that included a couple of short days. Also, I'm in my 50's, too.
Definitely pack light and a June Camino is warmer, so less stuff needed.
ultreia

Cheers mark..you don't look in your 50s mate..it was watching the Martin sheen movie that got me into it about 5 years back..now I'm kinda in between jobs I've got some spare time..so I'm doing it..

I've found meltdowns to be unavoidable, and on a longer Camino you can have more than one.

My answer to them is always the same, though the reasons and nature of the meltdowns are quite variable :

1) Stop. This is actually the hardest part of it -- you have to face down your own desire to walk on, and/or desire to give up. Stop, even if you don't want to, and even if your every impulse is against it. It can require subjecting both your desires and your intuition to your intellect as an Act of Will, but it can also be far easier if your body is just extremely fatigued and can't carry on even if you want to.

2) Rest. This means, stay where you are to do so. Organising an escape plan is not resting, grabbing a bus or taxi is not resting, and so on -- most importantly, you're NOT thinking straight when you're in the midst of a meltdown, and so you should make NO decisions unless and until you're out of it. ANY decision made in a state of meltdown is liable to be a bad one, that you'll regret.

3) Wait. Eventually, the meltdown should just go away on its own. Maybe you'll realise you've been pushing your body or your mental endurance too much, or your diet has been wrong, or your pack is too heavy or just badly organised, or maybe there's some psychological issue you need the rest time to make peace with, or you hadn't realised how much you're in need of a comfort food day, or a thousand other problems that time can heal. In any case, keep on waiting at least until you start thinking normally again, and/or the worst of any physical fatigue is resolved.

4) Then make your decision about what to do -- if all goes well, after your rest day(s), carry on your Camino. In any case, your decision when you've rested will be far more likely to be a good one than any hasty decision taken in the midst of your crisis.

5) Buen Camino !! :cool:

Reality is that you put your mind body and spirit into some stress. It's different for everyone. We all have different abilities to adapt to change and difficulties! It's ok to be angry disappoint d overwhelmed tearful afraid etc etc. Just try not to take it out on people walking and more importantly those who provide a service along the way! Take a deep breath get some space whatever it is can be resolved. I always think it's good to have a little mantra to repeat to yourself as usually getting angry at someone does little. Remember you are on a vacation enjoy every minute as you will not pass this way again! Buen Camino

I will walk after my mother passes. Then I will walk in her memory as well as for my friend Nancy who died last year of cancer. Until then I can only give support from afar. Have a wonderful time... come what may!
You will need a good Camino when your Mom passes, and for Nancy too. Lots of stuff will bubble up to the top while you walk, things you haven't thought of for years. Treat it like an old trunk full of junk, take each piece out, feel it for a while, then decide if it brings you happiness and adds to your life. If it does, keep it. If not, toss it, and never think of it again.
You'll remember something you said to your mom when you were 10, and start blubbering about it.
Blubber away.
Then toss it.
Don't let junk in your trunk cause a meltdown.

You will need a good Camino when your Mom passes, and for Nancy too.
Don't let junk in your trunk cause a meltdown.
We all watched the movie together. I wanted both to know I had a plan so they wouldn't worry about me. I'm planning two months away with an open ticket. 6 weeks to walk on the slow side and a little time in Paris. When people ask when I'm going or am I excited I have mixed feelings! Like you Colleen I have a mission I won't carry ashes but stones for both and many candles will be lit along the way. I have no expectations. I just know after three years of daily care I will need time to be sad cry mourn etc. walking has always been very healing for me. No matter what the plan I know I can just go home and try again no failure, no blame. But I'm sure it will be ok with all the ups and downs. Thank you Colleen!

The first (lol) wall happened on the very first day, in Roncesvalles. The Pyrenees are freakin hard. I knew that, and I knew that it wouldn't be easy. But, my lord, I walked into Ronvesvalles bleeding, tired, sunburnt, and crying. The excitement of the Camino wore off pretty quickly, and it was like a smack in the face, and the soul. I looked around at everyone else, and everyone seemed to be fine! In retrospect, there were many other people going through the same thing probably. I said ok well wtf, clearly I can't do this, I'm not meant to do this, let's just leave the Camino and go somewhere else.

I had a shower, had a meal, and hobbled back to the albergue. I ran into a girl who I met the morning of, and who I sat across from breakfast. And it pisses me off that I can't remember her name or even where she was from, because when I told her that I was going to leave the Camino, she said along the lines of "really? you're really going to give up?!". And I remember exactly how I felt at that moment. I was so soul-crushed moments before, and she just kind of got me out of the slump. Right then and there. Had I really come all this way from little town Canada just to give up after a hard day?

So I said okay, walk to Pamplona, and if you still really don't wan't to do it, then go home. But by the time I got to Pamplona, I had completely and utterly fallen in love with the Camino. The landscape, the people I met, and just the Camino life. I hit many other walls along the Camino. But I just kept thinking back to that night in Roncesvalles.

I often think about what would have happened had I given up that first day. Thank St. James I didn't.
I also never saw that girl again. I just want to thank her for being so brutally honest.

So Joe, just keep walking. No matter what. You will hit many walls, in many different places, but just keep going.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
J

Hi Joe,
You'll be on your way or even there by the time you read this.

I think I understand what you are asking.

If I may, I offer you this piece of advice.

It helps me to "walk in the moment". By that I mean that I don't think about how far I still have to walk that day; I try to think about how far I have walked, how I feel, what am I seeing, hearing, smelling and who is around me?

When was the last time I drank and ate, should I do that now?

Why don't I just stop for 20 minutes and take my boots and socks off, even if I am feeling ok?

Am I walking slowly enough to really enjoy this?

If I do get to the stage of feeling bad. A taxi or bus to my destination that day and I have a very short or rest day the following day.
Buen (melt-down free) Camino.

I have not walked the Camino - I will this summer. But this is a very kind and gentle comment. Thank you.

I think I've said this elsewhere on the forum, the weight we carry as pilgrims isn't just the backpack. Its everything else in our heads and hearts. A few people have mentioned walking in memorium. I suspect that for some of us the growing awareness of weight that we carry or carried, or the sudden letting go of an emotional weight can be pretty intense.

Emotions can creep up unexpected and unwieldy from many places. Taking a moment to consciously identify what I am feeling often help me to figure out why I am feeling it. To my dismay, I have in the past realized that the intense anger and frustration I was feeling was not the result of someone else's actions, but rather intense fatigue, hunger, low iron or many other rather prosaic things.

A bit of food, a bit of rest, a bit of looking-listening-smelling-feeling, a little bit of reading, or watching a movie in my own language all give pause, space and comfort. Even skyping with family or friends. All of these little acts of kindness seem very appropriate.

That and never underestimate the power of Chocolate!!!!

Maybe it was that his training didn't set him up for soul searching? On the Camino, as you would know, soul searching and introspection can become a very large part of the journey and not all tough guys are up for that.

Maybe it was that his training didn't set him up for soul searching? On the Camino, as you would know, soul searching and introspection can become a very large part of the journey and not all tough guys are up for that.

With the caveat that I'm not military, I've met a handful of ex- special forces who've had their meltdown and never recovered, and it's nasty business.

Hi mark..I see that you are an experienced walker..I'm arriving in sjpdp on may 30 to do my first Camino. I'm a bit concerned of course that I won't be able to complete it and have so many doubts (am I taking too much, what stuff do I pack etc)but I really am looking forward to it..luckily I'm going with a mate who's done the Camino Frances twice.the second time he did it in four weeks and assures me we will be able to do it in five..I know it's not a race but do you think this is wise...I have been doing walks about 20 k a few times a week so as to prepare. I'm reasonably in good health 55 years young and medium build....also any other advice would be appreciated..cheers

I am 67 and I did my first bit of the Frances two years ago - Sarria to Santiago. Last year I did SJPdP to Burgos where I met my daughter and there were no problems doing either of those. After Burgos things went belly-up as my daughter ended up with horrifying blisters, a sore hip and aching ankles. We discovered that she needed inserts in her shoes. Once she had the right ones her feel and hips were fine but she never seemed to eliminate the blisters. We had to cut our Camino short because our progress became so slow that time was running out for her flight from Madrid back home to Oz.

I did no preparation for either of those adventures. I carried a 17 kg backpack and a 7 kg front pack and didn't know about getting bags shipped forward so lugged them both all the way - only 117 kms. The second time had the backpack carried forward and it was much easier.

This time going back in end July to cover the ground I missed with my daughter. Still no prep for me as the only time I had a problem was walking DOWN out of the Pyrennes to Roncevalles which lay me low for two days as the muscles in my legs recovered. Be aware I was carrying both my bags at that stage.

I guess it's very different for different people.

Met a guy a bit older than me who had trained with his new lady for months walking through the Blue Mountains in Oz. He couldn't get up the Pyrennes and sufferred terrible the whole time he walked. He gave up completely about 1/4 of the way through.

You shouldn't need to carry a lot of water on the Frances. I carry 2 * 350 ml bottles which I refill at the many cafes, hostels, bars and fountains along the way as I need it. Food for the day I buy whenever I can but never more than that needed for one day.

You may need to treat any bedding you might take with you (sheets, pillow cases, aor sleeping bag with pymethrin - this will ensure you don't have any problems with bed bugs. Make sure you spread them on the bed as soon as you have a bed/bunk allocated).

Have an amazing time and Buen Camino.

With the caveat that I'm not military, I've met a handful of ex- special forces who've had their meltdown and never recovered, and it's nasty business.

Same here. Vietnam vets that were very good friends. PTSD destroyed a few of them and affected the others to varying degrees.

Last edited:
After reaching Puente La Reina I couldn't cope with the Semana Santa crowds and my fellow pilgrims wanting to talk while walking (my problem not theirs). After booking into an albergue and walking round the town I just had to head away to the hills. left in the evening with no place to stay ahead of me but being alone the peace & quiet was restorative. I arrived in the next village after dark, all accommodation taken, but a Camino Angel gave me shelter. It taught me a lot.
The worst day ever was walking from Villar de Mazarife to Astorga. It was very hot, I hadn't slept well and arrived at the Cruceiro de Santo Toribo with the encouraging view of Astorga ahead and the route being downhill all the way. But it was a long way. After SanJusto de la Vega I was having to stop every few yards to rest, then I reached the point where I almost lost it - that maze-like bridge over the railway. I was saved from descending into hysteria by a peleton of cyclists joyfully traversing the bridge, everyone of them greeting me with "Buen Camino!" They don't know how much they contributed to boosting my spirits and enabling me to trudge on the final stretch to the albergue Amigos del Camino de Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Close to Leon amidst industrial sprawl another pedestrian bridge carries pilgrims high above the auto-route. When I got there in 2010 the wind was so terrific that at first I could NOT MOVE! Seeking help but seeing no other pilgrim I backed down the ramp and calmly walked into a nearby car showroom. After I explained that I needed assistance to cross the slightly astonished but very elegant manager put on his coat and took my arm. Eventually we both made it across, wind-blown and breathless! With a casual 'Adios' he noted
that he had never walked the Camino and if it was all like that crossing he certainly never would! ...Later years whenever I successfully crossed that bridge I always smiled remembering that intense earlier relief!!

My first Camino (2011) I finished in Burgos. The whole year I rejoiced below, waiting, and finally arrived back in Burgos. I started to walk. After two hours (two hours!!!!!:D) of walking,I said to myself: "Are you normal? do you need this? And the flight back got just in two weeks! " Then I sat on the stone along the way, ate a piece of good Spanish cheese and continued to walk. Very quickly it became fantastic and stay so. So you need: a piece of cheese, a stone near the road, continue walking. Maybe it's enough only the last of this!

I can't really speak for the guy in question, or anyone else for that matter. That said, is that what the the Camino does, and what I am looking forward to, is the opportunity to get inside your own head: Introspection to the nth degree and this can be a very intense emotional experience and entirely unlike anything they have experienced before. Can it cause a breakdown? Yes, and in spades.

Happy Trails, Buen Camino, Ultreia and Excelsor!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First I'm No doctor but I've been doing a little research.
There's a condition called hyponatremia ( low blood salt )
Symptoms include altered personality, confusion, weakness, fatigue, low energy, headaches, the list goes on and on but you get the idea.
One of the causes of this is drinking too much water which can dilute the amount of sodium in your body.
I'm going to stick with sport drinks as much as possible when I walk.
Anyone a Doctor here? That can explain this better than I can

Same here. Vietnam vets that were very good friends. PTSD destroyed a few of them and affected the others to varying degrees.

What got to most of us Nam vets was the disdain that we met with when we returned stateside. No parades necessary and you kind of expected the hippies to throw stuff at you. What hurt most was when the average citizen, and even other vets from previous wars, dissed us. Baby killer, murderer, etc. were the common terms.

One reason I am walking the Camino, at an advanced age, is to exorcise those demons from my psyche. Penance I guess, 0r just a l0t of soul-searching.

€60,-
I handle meltdowns by walking a camino. Took ten years 2004-2014 between caminos. I'd become so slick, you could have used me to butter bread. If I can not walk this year, I may meltdown like wicked witch in Wizard of Oz. Life is my camino ... Camino is my respite....

Last edited:
Joe, I certainly do not wish to insult you, but PLEASE don't be thinking about hitting walls or meltdowns. Please try to think positively. Otherwise, you may surround yourself with people expecting to be challenged in a negative way. Try to avoid folks who are going to drag you down; they could ruin your camino. We are world travelers and I can tell you that the Camino de Santiago remains our favorite trip...even the second time. I sincerely pray you will love every minute of your journey, including the small inconveniences and aches & pains. I hope you will look back on this experience and smile inwardly as well as outwardly. Truly, Joe, here's to a life-changing trip for you.

images

€60,-
Joe, I certainly do not wish to insult you, but PLEASE don't be thinking about hitting walls or meltdowns. Please try to think positively. Otherwise, you may surround yourself with people expecting to be challenged in a negative way. Try to avoid folks who are going to drag you down; they could ruin your camino. We are world travelers and I can tell you that the Camino de Santiago remains our favorite trip...even the second time. I sincerely pray you will love every minute of your journey, including the small inconveniences and aches & pains. I hope you will look back on this experience and smile inwardly as well as outwardly. Truly, Joe, here's to a life-changing trip for you.

Kindly advice, and one cannot help but agree with the gist of it -- but the topic is about those who have had meltdowns, not those who won't.

Also, "life-changing" can mean meltdown.

Being challenged in a negative way is also frequently just as significant as in a positive one.

More fundamentally, to suggest a problem-free "love every minute" Camino as being some basic expectation is profoundly unrealistic, from any point of view.

Hi. I walked St Jean to Santiago last year. Finishing in June. Took 5 weeks. Including 3 rest days in Burgos because of trying to rest an injury. Some short days after. Another rest day in León to explore the city. Barring a major problem you should be fine. I bet 20km walking practise even once a week is a lot more practise than most people do.
You will see very many people who are older than you, who look more frail, and less fit than you.
My experience recommends drinking plenty of water, even if you don't fancy any, just keep drinking it. And if you feel even the slightest 'hot spot' on your feet, don't think you'll sort it out later. Stop and try to sort it out.
BTW i walked another camino 2 months later. Le Puy to St Jean. Only very slightly shorter. I had no injuries, a few blisters early on, but then none. Didn't feel the need for a rest day at all. It was much hotter than when i walked in Spain. And it took me 4 weeks. I'm roughly your age (51).
Good luck. You'll love it (most of it anyway)

Last edited:

€60,-
Hey Joe,

Hoping you have made it to Pamplona so far. Last Summer, I did not make it that far. I may have mentioned this before but between Roncesvalles and Zubiri, my IT Band in my left leg gave out and I could not walk anymore. (IT Band goes from the side of your knee to the hip, largest ligament in the body).

So, that happened Aug 27/16. On May 16/17, I will finally get steroid injections to alleviate the pain, tension and damage. Once healed, I have set a goal of losing 30 lb, to start. Then, I will lose at least another 20 lb as I rebuild leg and back muscles.

Once I am well, I will fly to Lisbon, train to Pamplona and then re-engage the Camino to Santiago, Muxia and Finisterre.

It is not a matter of finishing. It is a matter of not being complete until it is done. :)

images
[/QUOTE]

images
Ahhh...the brick wall...Day 3 on Primitivo with my 18year old daughter last June. We are half way through the day; about 10km to or from anywhere, and she throws off her pack and sits down in the middle of the path and tells me she hates hiking, hates the Camino, maybe even hates me for bringing her... and she's done! So we sit there for a while. After a few minutes I pointed out the she will either have to walk forward or walk backward (her choice), but she has to walk. And, since she HAS to walk, it may as well be forward...
There were lots of other lessons and experiences...running completely out of money because my debit card was lost on the first day, broken toe, but learning that sometimes the only thing you can do is put one foot in front of the other...priceless.

Attachments

• 20160607_110942.jpg
    20160607_110942.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And you took a picture of her tantrum! Love it.

hmmm, I wouldn't call that a tantrum, I'd call it a sane reaction. Everyone who's had a Camino meltdown has been in that exact same space ...

The difficulty is pushing past that point in your head, your heart, and your body, and then get up and walk past it -- not everyone succeeds in doing so.

It's a picture of the sanity of life versus the insanity of the Camino. :p

Hi. I walked St Jean to Santiago last year. Finishing in June. Took 5 weeks. Including 3 rest days in Burgos because of trying to rest an injury. Some short days after. Another rest day in León to explore the city. Barring a major problem you should be fine. I bet 20km walking practise even once a week is a lot more practise than most people do.
You will see very many people who are older than you, who look more frail, and less fit than you.
My experience recommends drinking plenty of water, even if you don't fancy any, just keep drinking it. And if you feel even the slightest 'hot spot' on your feet, don't think you'll sort it out later. Stop and try to sort it out.
BTW i walked another camino 2 months later. Le Puy to St Jean. Only very slightly shorter. I had no injuries, a few blisters early on, but then none. Didn't feel the need for a rest day at all. It was much hotter than when i walked in Spain. And it took me 4 weeks. I'm roughly your age (51).
Good luck. You'll love it (most of it anyway)
Thankyou for your reply..you have given me positive feedback and now I ca not wait till I get there on may 30th.

images

My 14yo old son and I got into regular heated arguments at about 3pm almost every day. We minimized these by eating more chocolate, making sure he had time to eat a bigger lunch, and me taking motrin at about 2pm. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

images
Take a few short days, stay an extra day somewhere, and think about your mental intensity. It can be a matter of just "letting it be" and going with the flow. Buen camino!

I have to agree with Domigee, I hit a wall on my 2nd one, it jolted me and left me wondering what to do next, I took a day out and it completely refreshed me. I have done a few Camino's since then, and if I do hit a wall/melt down I always take time out now, usually after a day or three I can't wait to start again.
I am interested in this - why do you think this occurred on your second (and not first) Camino?

Lots of advice...I'll add mine.
I had taxied to Leon because of my arches hurting, then fell on my face walking out of Leon. Two days later vomited during the night in Santibanez. Couldn't walk next day cuz I was too weak, so took a taxi to Astorga, went to Centro Medico, the spent two nights at Hotel Gaudi. The night before I was gonna start again I emailed friends and family my situation and mentioned I would probably bus or taxi the next day. By now I was out of the rhythm of walking and my daughter, who rowed crew in college, recognized this and reminded me I was in the "middle meters" (what her coach called it)- the excitement of the beginning has waned and you are not able to yet see the finish. She told me, "This is where the race is won or lost."
This motivated and re energized me to start walking again, which I was able to do til the end!
Just know that whatever you are feeling, whenever you feel it, it is normal!!

images

images
I watched my Amiga partner have a meltdown..after a long hard day of hiking we could not find the place we had booked to stay that night. We were on the right street and walked up and down that street for what seemed forever..it was getting dark and she was getting more and more frustrated..she finally walked into a place get get directions and was told it was just down the street. She asked to have a taxi called and he said but it is a very short distance.. she yelled, I don't care I want a taxi!! The taxi came and picked us up and drove just a few short blocks to this beautiful luxurious hotel that we had walked by several times. We had not realized it was the place we booked because it was so nice.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back