• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Member's Forum names

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Forum names always fascinate me and make me wonder about the person behind the name.

"FranksWildYears" is intriguing. Are you a young man who is taking time out from studying to have a wild time? Or have you given up the corporate world to bum around Europe? Are you an old man who has retired and is only now having a wild time? If your name is Jeff, why is your forum name Frank?

Sagalout: No need to wonder - this from the Telegraph:
More and more old people are becoming problem drinkers, according to the Scottish psychiatrist Dr Peter Rice. He wants us to take this phenomenon seriously.
Unfortunately, he has come up with such a glorious name for these boozy pensioners - "Saga louts" - that it is almost impossible to keep a straight face. Saga louts congregate in gangs, sometimes disguised as "wine clubs". The men, in particular, adopt a dress code as inflexible as those of their grandchildren: blazer with gold buttons, cravat, pocket handkerchief folded just so. And they have their own lingo: "What's your poison?", "Don't mind if I do", etc.
But they present no threat to public safety - unless, that is, you find yourself trapped in one of their gatherings, in which case you face the very real danger of being bored to death by a golfing anecdote."

RuralVic: Are you a rural vicar? A member of the Old Vic - or similar in a rural area?

Falcon269: Why 269? Falcon is a great name - were you born in Feb '69?

Redkite: Oooh... this one fires the imagination! Its a magnificent bird of prey but it always makes me think of those wonderful, spiritual, Indian mantras.

Omar504: Exotic - Omar Sharif, Omar Khayyam .. could be a radio station!

MeramidLilli: Just has to be a gentle, kind soul behind that name!

Crackmrmac: Crack Mr Mac?? Why? His name is Brian. What does the name mean?

Aussieredhat: What fun! An Aussie in a red hat!

(Mine is really boring - no mystery there. My name is Silvia. Most people call me Sil or Silly and my husband calls me Sil or Silly, or doll or Silly-doll. Seemed obvious for an email address.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good thread!

Two of our newer members are...
Happiergirl - She was happy, now...Happier.

deepfat - Deep fried food fan?

... by the way. I used to be able to spot a new spammer account by looking at the user name... not so anymore. As more user names get taken, our newest members need to use their imagination and find a user name that is not yet taken.

Long live great user names!

Saludos from a rather chilly and rainy Santiago,
Ivar (also my user name... boring!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, there's a very long, political story about how I got my name (I use it on another forum as well), but the short version is: "Wolverine" from the silly 80's movie "Red Dawn" & "DG" from an email address & online identity I no longer use. Ah, life. :) At least I didn't tattoo it on my forehead!! :lol:

Kelly

Huh! Being Scottish though living in London I thought I had picked a relevant name in Johnnie Walker and my rucksack now sports a little bottle of the stuff - empty of course: weight,weight, weight! What I forgot was that if you are anything like me you conjure up a picture of what people may be like in reality from their user name.

I've recently met some forum users including Ivar again and was surprised ( I really don't know why :) ) that they thought I would be at least half drunk all the time, drinking from a bottle of Johnnie Walker and singing "Auld Lang Syne!"

Go on....admit it :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah... so you and Sagalouts should make a good team - on paper at least!

My name is a bit of a silly story too...

I was on kibbutz, a lo-o-ong time ago, and the German speaking people there couldn't say my real name, Keith. The nearest they could get was Keit or Keet. One day written on the daily worksheet was the legend, Kite. How we laughed. Well, the name stuck and I adopted it I spose.

Next year I'm meeting up (in Jordan) with some of the people I was there with...30 years since we were all in the same place together. Blimey. We're hoping to do (some of) the Abraham Path. Life's lovely innit?

It's funny because I thout Johnnie Walker was so called because of his penchant for that tipple but on a bus from SDC to La Coruna I saw a sign for Johnnie Walker and the slogan was "keep on walking" so I had a chuckle to myself. Shame on me for thinking it would be otherwise!

I would be more than happy to share a drink with john or anyone else for that matter, though it would have to be a single malt. As a retired (early) publican it is what I was most used to doing.
We in England have a term for youths acted badly on drink "lagerlouts" lager being a drink and not a german/africaan word for storage/camp.
"saga" is a magazine for the over 50s who also do holidays for the elderly.
I wanted to show as in the poem by dylan thomas that I was someone not prepared to go Gentle into that good night and that old age should rage,rage against the dying of the light.
So sagalouts it was,it could have been more pretentious I wanted to be"Howard Beale" (the Peter Finch character from the 1976 film Network).
All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.
You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"
So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,
"I'm as mad as hell,and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Since joining this forum and reading up on the camino I've realise that "Roland"my real first name and not Ian the second name I've used all my life would have been ideal for someone planning to fight their way up the pyrenees..
I am always aware that on an international site words can have different meanings ie- I always think of mermaidlille as "the Lassie from tallahassee" but worried in case Lilliann thinks i'm comparing her to a 1950's canine film star!!
Ian (roland) and rosie.
http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having read these posts I wish I'd been more creative :roll: . My name is Sandra and I like walking ie. it is my thing - Sansthing!

Well, John,
Having spoken with you a few times (here on the forum and in PM) I didn't think that you'd be half in the bag all the time, but I must admit to an image of that red cutaway coat and tophat....Imagine JohnnyW striding through the mountains of Galicia with a rucksack and bright red tails and a topper....so much for blending!!!! :lol:
Buen Camino,

I've recently met some forum users including Ivar again and was surprised ( I really don't know why ) that they thought I would be at least half drunk all the time, drinking from a bottle of Johnnie Walker and singing "Auld Lang Syne!"

Go on....admit it

But you were John, don't you even remenber??? :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Peregrino Blanco.....White Pilgrim... my tag.... not racism! On my first pilgrimage I was given it as I walked into the Albergue in Logorno because........I was in white shoes, socks , shorts, shirt, hat.....but not face as that was a very red, celtic, English face....from the Sun.

I have 2 monikers....this one and another I use, Baby_Catcher. The babycatcher one speaks for itself as I am a traditional midwife, lover of birth.
MermaidLilli.... ahhh, thank you, SillyDoll (a name I like as well) for saying it conjures an image of a gentle person, which although difficult to admit is part of my personna that I enjoy being.
Mermaid is due to my love of water and of mermaids. If there was such a thing as past lives and mermaids, I must have been one, for water creates in me a feeling of peace I cannot express. I feel so at home by it, in it, seeing it..... I remember as I approached the ocean walking to Fisterra an emotion filling my chest that caused tears to stream through. I was home.
See this video of Sara, a freediver. Halfway through, when you see this mermaid pretend it is me, for if younger I would be right there with her. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-tZNrZgzg
I am purchasing a monofin to play with when the water gets warm again.

Lilli is part of my name Lillian. Lilli is more playful and I enjoy being playful. The lassie from Tallahassee is cute and I admit I like it, Sagalouts, as cheesy as it sounds. But if I were to be a dog it would be an Afghan Hound.
Love Love Love
Lillian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mine of course is obvious. We all know who is my hero. But, have you noticed it also anagrams as "I'll panic, Sir!"..
Gareth's is the best as it anagrams to the following:
Aghast Mother! Shortage math, and my favourite: Ashram ghetto, and I have to admit to
Ah! Gathers most! :roll:
Geert Bakker is "A beg trekker" or alternatively "Bare keg trek" which, being from Holland, if you change that to Beer keg trek it might just work after all!
Silly Dol is an just an Old Silly!!!
Want to waste half an hour just like me? Check out http://wordsmith.org/anagram/index.html
I really must get out of the house more! :wink:

Sebastianpuss

Really Stupid one I know, but stuck with for life me thinks!
In the 90's while trying to get an email address I could actually remember, and realising that every single one connected with my name would have to have a number like 2567 or somehing attached to it. I decided to try all sorts of amusing names, and was surprised to see how many were taken. At the time I had two cats called Belle & Sebastian. I chose sebastian, male name, and puss short for pussy cat, and was stuck thereafter with sebastianpuss as an email address, so I just got used to it and use it all the time now.

I am a wanderer who comes from New Zealand. We New Zealanders are often called Kiwis, after the flightless bird (not the fruit, which is a more recent hybrid). I think I tried out KiwiWanderer for an e-mail address first, but it was already taken. Nomad came to me as another choice. 06 was the year of the Great Wander the address was bring invented for.....
KiwiNomad06 aka Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sil, I got a big surprise and let out a great hearty laugh when I spotted my name in this post! Should it be a claim to fame?
Being Irish I have Mac in my surname. A few years ago, one of the reading schemes in our primary schools had a pet shop owner called Mr. Mac. Some of the pupils used to joke that I had a pet shop & called me Mr.Mac. A few years later some of them would greet me "What's the crack Mr. Mac". So,mystery solved.
Perhaps some of my past pupils would really like to crack Mr. Mac!

Buen Camino

Brian

Hello Brian,
That is a great story! Being Irish as well, I recognized the reference straight away. But for North American readers, perhaps it would be good to clarify that in Ireland "crack" means good fun or a good time, not the drug referenced meaning that most of our north american students would attribute to "crack" ! :lol: And am I mistaken or isn't it also spelled "craic" ??

Here's to a "craic" filled Camino,

Deirdre, Of course, you're right.That reminds me of my sister living in New York and in her early days there she raised many workmates eyebrows when she announced on Monday mornings that she had "great crack" over the weekend. This continued for quite a while until one of them suggested that she didn't appear to be a typical user!

Buen Camino

Brian

Well bless your hearts all of you! I've been laughing till I had tears in my eyes!! Having a terminally horrible day at work, and can only log in ever so briefly here, at lunch time. But it's so been worth it! Now I'm wishing I'd been more inventive, but mine was driven by speed and the need to get logged in quickly and find info!! SO ... I just took my first initial K and part of my last name..sam...ergo, ksam! For Karin Samulis :roll:

SO thank you all for a very very entertaining 10 minute reprieve from the electronic hell I've been confined in all morning long!

Karin aka
The Wicked Witch of the North (To my bike club, where I live 1/2 hour or more North of everyone else...and witch rhymes better with ... well, you know :wink: )

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
but mine was driven by speed

Mmm.... some are on crack and some are on speed! What a bunch of addicts we have here!

Do american plumbers have the same issue with their trousers(pants) as british builders?

And do teenagers give each other 'wedgies'?

or are we talking about another sort of crack?

We're much more egalalitarian here in Oz where truck drivers,plumbers,roofers,builders and postmen all exhibit the obligatory crack.....well maybe not the postmen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha! Sil, all of the above! There's this singer Tom Waits and he has an album (and a song) called Franks Wild Years that I really like. I had a 7 year career before going to university, just finished this past summer and am now taking a year to travel. So yes: a break from work, a break from studies, a wild year. But no, my name is not Frank. Maybe I should adopt it for the camino tho?

Un abrazo,
Jeff

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Quote:
Haha! Sil, all of the above! There's this singer Tom Waits and he has an album (and a song) called Franks Wild Years that I really like.

Tom Waits, of course, must have been a pilgrim too as Frank's Wild Years anagrams to
Sir Flaky Wanders...
But I digress...
Back to work!
Tracy

My forum name comes from my university mascot: The Ramblin Wreck. If you want that story, just ask, but I won't bore you here.

I felt it was an appropriate moniker because I like to walk, and I have been known to drone on aimlessly in discussion by myself to the point ... that no one... is... paying ... attention...
In the States the term rambler does not have the same conotation as in the UK. People here walk for fitness, or hike; they aren't know to ramble.

My avatar is a picture of my son on a hike in the Appalachians. I just love the French baguette!!

Rambler

...from Georgia Tech!!!!! :lol:

Buen Camino,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, a HELL of an engineer!!!!
:twisted:

Rambler

€83,-
I'm glad someone else has absolutely no idea what this is all about!!
My guess is it's something to do with the lyrics for a song...?
Or maybe its better just not to know!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry for not replying earlier.
The Ramblin Wreck is the mascot of Georgia Tech, a university in Atlanta. It is an early 20s Ford Model A Coupe that is driven onto all the home American Football games held in Atlanta.
The university is primarily an engineering school, so as part of the fight song are the repeated works "I'm a ramblin wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramblin%27_Wreck

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Now that we have gotten TOTALLY off-topic from the Camino...

Rambler

Apologies to Rambler for continuing off topic.
I can't believe that the most famous fight song in America contains the verse.
"Oh if I had a daughter sir
I'd dress her in white and gold
and put her on the campus
to cheer the brave and bold"
Now speaking as the father of 3 daughters I think i can safely say Georgia tech is somewere I won't be [Putting] them.
Another habit the Georgie students have is not speaking of graduating but of getting out!!
Rosie's old all girl school song was "Eidlevise " and the school motto "Aim High"
Now thats a proper aspiration for a daughter.
Ian and Rosie
http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com

Sag:
I had to laugh at your comment.

The song was written at the time that women did not attend Georgia Tech, so all they could do was go to football games and cheer.
The university has decided not to change the words to make them more politically correct, yet.

I am suprised there were no comments about drinking our whisky clear or using a college bell to mix Mojitos. What about that we are gamblers? That we swear at our arch rivals the University of Georgia Bulldogs in the middle of the song?

Please remember this is a FIGHT song, intended to generate enthusiasm at athletic events. It is not intended to be the motto of the school's academic prowess. Many of the football teams in England have songs and chants that the fans sing that are not about the high moral ethics of the footballers, eh? The alternate words to Glory, Glory, Man United? :lol:

It is just funny that you say that about your daughter, because my daughter is actually planning to apply there for college. Maybe she will dress up in White and Gold even...

Rambler

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Rambler.
no I'am quite happy to drink the whisky clear,and on further research it doesn't look that bad a university ,to vote in 1959 to endorse qualified applicants regardless of race and to be the first university in the south to desegregate by choice - "too busy to hate" is ok by me.
I wish your daughter well in her choices (maybe she can change that verse).
People near me in Linconshire England are called "Yellow Bellies" so from now on I am a Yellow Jacket .
Ian and Rosie.
http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com

Sag:
:D
Welcome to the clan!!!

Rambler

Feeling really guilty for dragging the thread back to the original topic.....

But "gyro" is short for gyrovague. A word I first heard once I can completed my first camino.
A gyrovague is a wandering religious character.....often a mendicant [sp?].

It was the wonderful combination of the two part of the word:
"gyro"...as in gyroscope, autogiro etc...perpetually spinning around
"vague" ...not being completely certain about anything whatsoever.

which seemed to describe my character terribly well.

regards to all of you
Gyro

€149,-
Brilliant! I think it describes most of us!

gyro said:
A gyrovague is a wandering religious character.....often a mendicant
So, I wonder, is a 'gyravogue' a more fashion-conscious wandering religious character?

Well, I don't have to explain my Forum name, as I simply use my own name. So, since there's nothing to explain there, I'll tell you the story behind my avatar instead: the photo accompanying my name. The photo was taken in Chatellerault as I stood next to the lovely wooden pilgrim statue in the church, and I think that pilgrim statue was partly responsible for the very special grace in the event that happened shortly afterwards, when I was back on the long road to Santiago. (I told this story on my blog, but some of you won't have read it.)

As I made my way out of Chatellerault and along the river Vienne, I remembered that it was Monday and very few shops would be open. My usual routine was to buy lunch from a supermarket, which helped to keep me within my tight budget of twenty Euros per day. When I reached the next small town of Cenon-sur-Vienne all the shops were closed and I was very hungry after walking for five hours. There was a restaurant, but it was very expensive by my standards. I could not go hungry, so I decided to abandon the budget for that day and eat well.

As I sat down to my first course in the restaurant, the Frenchman at the next table started to ask me questions. Was I a real pilgrim to Saint Jacques de Compostelle? Where had I begun? Had I walked all the way and when was I going to arrive in Compostelle? Once I had answered all his questions, I carried on with my meal and he with his. He finished before me, but as he got up to go to the bar to pay for his meal, he asked me if I was going to have a coffee at the end of my meal. At the time, I thought it was an odd question, but I said yes, I would probably end my meal with a coffee. He said goodbye and wished me well. He asked me to pray for him at the shrine in Compostelle. I said I would.

I slowly finished my meal and had a coffee. I was still worrying about the cost of the meal and damaging my carefully managed budget. Then I loaded my rucsack on my back and went to the bar to pay. The bartender smiled and said, "There's nothing to pay. It has all been paid for by the man who was sitting next to you. Including the coffee." He had gone long before, so I could not even thank him.

Those of you who may one day stop at that statue in Chatellerault: just see if he winks at you, for he seems to be looking after the pilgrims who pass his way...

Gareth

Arn...

Well, originally it was Arnesto...Dad Italian...got slammed in first grade and name changed to Arnold...Mom German. gosh, in 1950 I was the offspring of the two big losers in the war...by age 12..I was still taking my lumps. In the Sunday funnies, Prince Valiant and Queen Aleta of the misty isles had their first son Arn....its been Arn ever since.

With Ivar's help I have changed my name. I am still Peregrino blanco, but I have come out of cloaking. From now on my tag is my real name~ Ian Holdsworth. The reasons. My identity is
becoming more obvious with a web site about pilgrimage. ( have a look, tell me what you think :?: http://www.pilgrims-to-santiago.com) And I want to explore pilgrim spiritually from a Christian perspective through a blog, which will mean working with as many pilgrims as possible in an open way. ( I also wonder if my old tag was open to racial misunderstanding. I took the name because I like to wear white shirts and shorts on pilgrimage).

Perigrino Blanco-I clicked on your link but got the message "oops this link appears broken"

Hello, my user name is Aiki Silvi, Silvia is my name, Aiki the way of harmony is what I practice in Aikido/Iaido Japanese Martial Arts. I really have enjoyed reading about everyone's names...it is fun.

Enjoy & Buen Camino Amigos,
Silvi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My name annakappa comes from the 60"s when we went to live in Italy. The Italians aren't happy with first names that are not Italianzed, therefore my Christian name Anne became immediately Anna (all my grandchildren call me Nonna Anna - Nonna being grandmother in Italian).
Then came our surname, Kreupeling, already difficult, but horror of horrors it begins with "K", which doesn't exist in the Italian alphabet! They solved this problem by filing any personal document after the letter "Z"! We quickly learnt that they called this unexisting letter "kappa". So there we have it - annakappa!
Anne

Ajda... is my name.

In my language ajda means corn, well actually buckwheat.

One of my friend (who is studying german) calling me Buchhweizen :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
It´ll be fun to go Spain for the first camino and know that my first name TIMO in Spanish means : hoax, swindle, cheat, fraud.
Actually its a shortened version of originally Greek name Timotheos, =the one who respects God.
I truly hope that they´ve done their Greek lessons in Spain!
-T-

my name is simple my name + my profession

Well....

My first name is Colin, Peter (as in the Apostle Peter) is added as the saint’s name I chose when received into the Catholic Church.

For the observant, my username colinPeter (lowercase "c" & uppercase "P"), was not based on any great humility, but rather on my inadequate typing skills. But having made the typo, it now seems quite appropriate.

Col

ps. Only 4 weeks until departure on Camino número uno.

When I completed my first Camino my first name, which is James, was entered on my compostella as Jacobus. No way says I, is this name going to be available on the forum based on the fact that Sant Iago was also Jacobus. I'm glad I decided to try as it worked out.

You could have been Iakob, Iakobos, Yaakov, Yakob, Jacques, Giacomo, Giacobo, Jacome, Jaime, Iago, Tiago, Diego and a few more (including Hamish!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jacobus said:
my first name, which is James, was entered on my compostella as Jacobus.

And you have chosen a good image for your avatar, James. Can you tell me where this statue is? I'd like to look at a more detailed image of it.

Gareth

Not just one of a dozen...

and a few more
And a lot more... I'm afraid. I'm collecting sources and the result is flabbergasting...

It illustrates that our apostle James was not just one out of a dozen but a very, very, very special one. Why he is so very special has not yet been revealed on this forum as far as I know. See The Santiago Enigma on miscellaneous-about-santiago/topic3794.html - Anyone?

See the attached Word document [but beware: it's 22 pages long and in various languages so there's no system in this madness yet!] and some posts on this forum on James/Jacob like:

p20412 p20434 p20932 p20948 p23781 p24920 p28816 p33383 (8)

- Hynt St. Ialm - the Welsh connection on pilgrim-books/topic5708.html#p33383
- ... to Sant-Iago in Jacobsland on miscellaneous-about-santiago/topic5097.html#p28816
- & St.Jago flower & Narcissus Jacobeus & St.Jacob's Knight on miscellaneous-topics/topic3763.html#p24920 - NB: I'm still searching for the almost forgotten connection between the sword/cross emblem of the St. Jacob Knights and the Galician lizard. I remember having read about it a long time ago but have forgotten where... Anyone?
- Jacob Sheep & Jacob Apple & Jacob Butterfly on miscellaneous-topics/topic3763.html#p20412
- Re: Jacob Sheep & Jacob Apple & Jacob Butterfly on miscellaneous-topics/topic3763.html#p20948
- Re: Jacob Sheep & Jacob Apple & Jacob Butterfly on miscellaneous-topics/topic3763.html#p20434
- Re: The Santiago Enigma -Ja’akov & Jacobus– is the name a sign? on miscellaneous-about-santiago/topic3794.html#p20932
- Shell, A word's pedigree on miscellaneous-topics/topic4199.html#p23781

At the moment i'm digging into the numerous variations of Jacob's Ladder; also really amazing!
See Jacobs Ladder String Figure on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GmljxkGKM& and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNgsOt63 ... re=related Jacob's Ladder = The Milky Way!
Enjoy!

PS: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jacobo ... nom%C3%ADa) San Jacobo = Wiener Schitzel!

Attachments

• Jacob, Jacobus, James....doc
    315 KB · Views: 141
  • Jacobs_Ladder_toy.jpg
    Jacobs_Ladder_toy.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 5,003
My name is Denise but Geradine is my alias since my first steps in the www. I used to play some tabletop fantasy roleplaying game and my character was called Geradine. So, very unspectacular. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I chose vintotinto because I love red wine (especially from Spain), and the only day I got sick on the Camino was the day I didn't drink any... :wink:

Salud!

VT

MermaidLilli said:
Been a while since I have seen any of posts from you VinoTinto. Welcome back??
Now where's Arn?
Lillian

Thanks! :) As for Arn, I was wondering the same thing...hope he's doing well :arrow:

€83,-
My name and sig are a small theme. North star which is the guiding star of course, good for travelers, and metaphorical for an internal search. I normally use a different handle on net forums, but I thought this was appropriate for something camino related. <3

I am PadreQ because I am a priest and regularly get called Padre. And Q is the initial of Quantrill which is a variant spelling of my surname Cantrell. My given name is Christopher, but since there are already a couple of active Chris posters here I thought I would use a username I have become accustomed to.

And there you have it!

It's Dis -lp38

Dis = short for Disney (where I have worked for close to 15 years)

LP= Loss Prevention

38 = mostly, when I was undercover at Disney in security, my radio "handle" or call sign was LP38. 38 is also my lucky number and where I'm from (38 county is the number of the county on my Nebraska License plate where I was born)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a hoot.

I am not a "hoopy frood" from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galacy (sp).

Frood is my family name; there are not many of us around the world.

Peter

My name is Maggie, well actually Margaret. I have no second name but a dear English war bride we called Auntie Margaret, suggested I could borrow her second name Jane. And so I have. Perhaps when I am out there doing my solo Camino I can think of a more interesting Forum Name.

Someone wrongly supposed that I might be a "frate", or perhaps a female.
I contracted the first letters of my grandchildren's names, FRAncisco, LUca, CHIara, into FRALUCHI. Pronounced the Spanish way. It sounds maybe like a monk's name, but I am far from being one! :oops:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting thread. For myself its more mundane. Freetime Games and Hobbies and later Freetime Novelties were businesses I owned. Freetime was chosen from there. However I gave them all up and now work at Walt Disney World like dislp38. I used the name in hopes of one day gaining the Freetime to make my first of, I hope, many pilgrimages.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk

My name is Jerry. I hike a lot with bears all around, therefore my hiking community named me jerbear! Simple and effective.Yo bear!

Mine is a play on an old Irish expression from Famine times where those people who dropped the 'O' from their surname in exchange for converting to Anglican and other non-Catholic faiths in exchange for food were known as 'taking the soup', not in my own family's instance, a clerical error in making out a birth certificate about 90 years ago led to our line of O'Sullivans suddenly becoming 'Sullivan'.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... UzCTaxEQ6g

Margaret inspired me with her "Kiwinomad" moniker. I live in Kitsap County, and I ramble. Voila!

My first camino blog on blogspot was entitled MSCamino (ie "Miz" Camino or M's Camino).
Hence MSPath seemed a similar and logical name choice for this Forum.
Now http://MSCamino.blogspot.fr/ is mainly used for blogging while walking and will be active again mid October during my 8th CF.

Margaret Meredith

This thread has been a fun read.
Arn - I actually laughed out loud and scared the lazy gato on my lap.

Mine is simple. Kaixo means hello in euskera. It's got a friendly ring to it! :D

I love this thread :D

Well, my own user name is really simple:

I am a very big fan of the Harry Potter series (the books, not the actors :p I love the story and everything about it) and I am a Christian ;) So, just add the two together, and you get a Potterhead for Jesus :p

Yup, it's extremely nerdy! :p

BTW, if I were a Potter character I'd be professor Lupin!

I began to realise that, sometimes, each day seems the same as the last. Like steps when we are walking. So why, I asked, did I see things so differently from day to day. And Free Spirit seemed to be the most gentle and accepting explanation. So I embraced that part of me....but not too tightly mind you!!

We didn't give enough thought to a forum name, and just wanted to ask a question so chose " fortview " as it is the name of our house . But I don't like it , it's not representative , and it sounds hard and wierd. But I guess I'm stuck with it now :(

my name is a combination of the middle names of both my daughters and the year I was born. I figured it would be easy to remember.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mine is my first name and the numbers are the year my father ( who has passed) and the year I was born. I also have the numbers tattooed.

Some very interesting names and reasons in this thread mine was far less interesting. My make is Anthony , I tried that, no luck one there already! so tried anthony b my first and initial of my middle name, again no luck!
So thought to myself "pilgrim, no that's bound to fail", try 'pilgrim b' and bless you Ivar it worked I could start taking part on the Forum.
Boring reasons, but i like the name, nothing happens as a coincidence when you join the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Long before I became a peregrino I was a mountain hiker. I have used the nick Walker for many a year.
I´m an American who lives in Euskal Herria - The land of the Basque. Mendi means mountain is Basque.
So I simply combined both.:)

Buen Camino!

A boyfriend of mine in college called me a kitchen of danger because I love making casseroles/one dish meals with interesting combinations....not least of which is adding carrots to spaghetti sauce. I thought it was funny, so i took it as my own. Ktchnofdngr is the user name i always choose if I have the chance!

Ruth

Forum names always fascinate me and make me wonder about the person behind the name.

Sagalout: No need to wonder - this from the Telegraph:
More and more old people are becoming problem drinkers, according to the Scottish psychiatrist Dr Peter Rice. He wants us to take this phenomenon seriously.
Unfortunately, he has come up with such a glorious name for these boozy pensioners - "Saga louts" - that it is almost impossible to keep a straight face. Saga louts congregate in gangs, sometimes disguised as "wine clubs". The men, in particular, adopt a dress code as inflexible as those of their grandchildren: blazer with gold buttons, cravat, pocket handkerchief folded just so. And they have their own lingo: "What's your poison?", "Don't mind if I do", etc.
But they present no threat to public safety - unless, that is, you find yourself trapped in one of their gatherings, in which case you face the very real danger of being bored to death by a golfing anecdote."
I had the pleasure of meeting Sagalouts in Burgos in April of this year. He had noticed the Forum badge on my pack, introduced himself, and we exchanged Forum names. Later that evening, when I was telling my companions about him, I could not recall his name - ‘Sagalouts’ being a term I’d never heard before - so I referred to him by the closest thing that came to mind – Scallywag. The name stuck, and that was his moniker whenever we ran into him, which was several times between Burgos and Sarria.

Scallyway, if you see this, thanks for the picture of Castrojeriz (my thank you email bounced back to me). We had hoped we would see you again after Sarria, or at least in Santiago, but you weren’t there. Hope all is well with you. (This from Charleen, of the ‘three cousins’.)

By the way, I was sure I saw a post from Sagalouts/Scallywag yesterday dated Sep. 2013, but I can’t find it today. Am I mistaken? Thanks much.

€60,-
Sixwheeler - I used to drive a six wheeled truck which is known in the trade as a sixwheeler, whereas an eightwheeler is called an 'eight legger'. Originally used for my Twitter account I now try and use it for everything, see www.sixwheeler.net for my Arles Route blog. I love the inventiveness of some of the names.

Mine is as boring as they come. Over 30 years ago, when the first networks and word processors started arriving in our government offices that was the first used ID I was assigned (t2andreo). The number 2 was assigned by the network administrator as I do not have a middle name or initial. I guess I was being lazy when I signed up for the forum.

I have since seen the error of my ways... This is for Ivar, I would love to change my user ID. Is it possible to simply change one name for another?

Thanks

Hola - again a topic I love - have to stop this early morning reading, I get no work done. Mine simple - my first name and my Sydney footfall team - but someone had got there first so I had to be number 2. BTW the pic is me at Uhuru Peak (Mt Kili - success on my third attempt!!) Cheers to all!:cool:
But now I am a model for Camino T-shirts, @ a meeting of the Sydney pilgrims - BTW that's not my vino tinto!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought I'd chipped in to this thread a long time ago but it would seem not. Tincatinker, a play on another obsession tincatinca, the european Tench, a fish I have pursued in muddy pond and reedy lake since I was out of nappies (diapers for those of you across the pond) and tinker, an itinerant, a travelling craftsman, a nomad.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.