• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Memoirs of a Pilgrim

chilledKat

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2014
Got to say folks, this book had me hook, line and sinker. And to think it was written by an accountant and I don't recall him referring to any figures in it except the distance to Santiago ;)

He was so wonderfully honest and irreverent. You went with him on the highs and the lows.
http://www.zeus-publications.com/memoirs_of_a_pilgrim.htm
http://www.zeus-publications.com/memoirs_of_a_pilgrim.htm

I picked up this book in the local library and emailed the author who turns out lives in the same city as me. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting with Brad recently who was every bit as authentic as he was in the book. It was great to hear about who he still keeps in contact with, etc. Although non-fiction, there are so many layers to it and it definitely doesn't read like someone's diary entry.

Definitely worth checking it out. His book and the movie The Way really spurred me to undertake this journey. It's a pretty long book but worth sticking with and I couldn't put down the last few chapters waiting to see how it would unfold. Am glad I didn't cheat and skip to the epilogue....a bad habit of mine!

Happy reading everyone

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the recommendation Kat! I'll add it to my list of Camino-related NF books to read... after I've finished writing mine ;) By the time I'm done, I'm sure I'll have drawn up a long enough list to last me a few years! Are you reading it while walking?

Thanks for the recommendation Kat! I'll add it to my list of Camino-related NF books to read... after I've finished writing mine ;) By the time I'm done, I'm sure I'll have drawn up a long enough list to last me a few years! Are you reading it while walking?
Pleasure. I finished it a few days ago. I wasn't actively seeking a Camino non fiction read...I was looking for a guidebook when I stumbled upon it. I found it so refreshing to hear a guy so incredibly in touch with his feelings. It wasn't cheesy. It showed vulnerability and strength all at once. Very human with its contradictions.

There was one continuing story throughout that had me so impatient that I was on occasions sneaking at later chapters trying to find a persons name in it. I don't want to give anything away but this book could easily be film material.

Katrina

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll have to read! The most enjoyable memoir book of the Camino is one that I read by Bill Bennett. "Th Way, My Way" is hilarious at times and most engaging. Hard to put down. Full of pain and laughter. It is a must read for anyone having walked the camino or about to. Brings back many memories.
Lynda

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back