• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Memorable Meals

HipRopelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning trip for May/June 2023
Hi, my family is hiking the entire Camino Frances this May and June. We are all very excited. If you subscribe to the New York Times, there is this guest essay that was written just a few days ago by Andrew McCarthy and he writes very eloquently about what walking the Camino has meant for him and his family. It definitely resonated with me.

Anyway, I'd love suggestions from you veterans on any especially memorable meals that you had on the Camino. What might you recommend? What made it memorable in your mind? Was it the food? The atmosphere? The people you dined with? What made it something you might recommend to others as especially special? Looking forward to learning from your adventures.

Warm regards,
Jeffrey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A very simple meal with lots of chick peas, cooked in the albergue in Molinaseca, with some very nice people, after a cold and rainy walking day.

Memorable meals can not be recommended or be planned in advance.

My picks, from SJPdP to SdC:

1. communal preparing and meal in Grañon (albergue parroquial)
2. communal meal with prayers in Casa Emmaus, Burgos
3. impromptu cooking session and meal with italian pilgrims in Carrion de los Condes (Esperitu Santo)
4. gathering of 50% of my "Camino-Family" in Bercianos (@ Bercianos 1900)
5. best value for money: Parillada Xacobeo in Triacastela (beef steak, vegetables, potatoes and a bottle of Crianza for 10€ and a litter of kittens in the patio)
6. Full "Camino-family" dinner in SdC: Pizzeria L'Incontro
7. Last, but not least: reunited dinner on the banks of the Douro in Porto (not intentionally, just pure luck).

Most memorable were 1, 3, 5, 6, 7

Hope you'll enjoy you walk and gather some outstanding experiences.

BC

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
By far, my most memorable meal was in Villalcázar de Sirga! I recommend Mesón Los Templarios. I happened upon the Sunday dinner there purely by chance. I noticed many dressed up locals going into this restaurant and decided to check it out. The party inside was in full swing! The very kind mâtre d' recognized that I was a solo pilgrim and explained that they were fully booked up but gestured to a chair in the corner if I'd like to wait in case there was an opening. I think it became clear that I was willing to wait as long as necessary. Eventually he made some room on a utility table and set a place for me. I had their specialty, roast lamb, and the best time ever! There was singing and drinking and every course was delicious. The place was filled to the rafters with fellowship. They served me a traditional pilgrim's drink at the end of the meal. For me, this memorable meal was certainly not planned in advance. I'd recommend you get help from your albergue or hotel to make reservations as soon as you can predict what day you'll be in Villalcázar de Sirga.

Hi, my family is hiking the entire Camino Frances this May and June. We are all very excited. If you subscribe to the New York Times, there is this guest essay that was written just a few days ago by Andrew McCarthy and he writes very eloquently about what walking the Camino has meant for him and his family. It definitely resonated with me.

Anyway, I'd love suggestions from you veterans on any especially memorable meals that you had on the Camino. What might you recommend? What made it memorable in your mind? Was it the food? The atmosphere? The people you dined with? What made it something you might recommend to others as especially special? Looking forward to learning from your adventures.

Warm regards,
Jeffrey
The dinner we made ourselves pooling food supplies from pilgrims at San Martin albergue. Most of us had walked together from Leon, and had an impromptu lunch from shared items as well.
They do a pilgrim dinner there as well, and on another visit that was very memorable as well - both for the company as much as the food.
And the pilgrim dinner at Fonfria, they have a round house they serve the dinner in, and I think my husband had 3 helpings.

Last edited:
What made it memorable in your mind? ... The people you dined with?
The person I didn't dine with. I had just joined the Camino Aragonese from the Camino Catalan and I was staying in Puente de Reina de Jaca. A restaurant was next door and they had trout on the menu. I asked if it was caught wild and was told it was so I ordered that. I do not care for trout at all and it was the same for this one. Peg however once lived at a place with a trout stream in the backyard and is always looking for wild caught trout. She got a call that night and I'm still not done rubbing it in.

I just read the above to her and got a laugh. Also a long recounting of four or five meals she remembered. I'm ignoring them to tell of one more meal I had alone.

It was on my way to Finisterre. I got a so-so meal but the fries/chips were the best I had in two months. But I was really tired, physically and of fries. I mentioned how good the fries were but how I really didn't want to eat them. The waitress beamed and told me her mother was the cook. I had to go to the kitchen and awkwardly tell her that the fries were incredible even though she would find I didn't eat them all (I was really more tired than hungry). Fluency would have helped me with this but anyway I got some smiles from some ladies.

I did a rest day in Portomarin and had two great meals there. I had a real breakfast - eggs, bacon, potatoes - at O Mirador. And I had an excellent paella at the bar right across from the church.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The donativo, parochial Santiago in Logrono. Fry chicken wings until the fat from the skin starts to render; add lots and lots of chopped garlic. Keep stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan so nothing sticks to profoundly. Add lots of broken stale bread. Keep stirring and scraping. When it all starts to catch and brown and smells like hope on a dark autumn day throw in a shot of Orujo, some white wine if you have it, and enough water to make two bowls full for everyone present.
Serve with a smile, eat with relish

Anyway, I'd love suggestions from you veterans on any especially memorable meals that you had on the Camino. What might you recommend? What made it memorable in your mind? Was it the food? The atmosphere? The people you dined with?
For me, it's usually the people I dined with, but I had a fantastic pilgrim menu solo at Albergue Los Canarios in Calzadilla de la Cueza. I had started out that day in Población de Campos, and had intended to stop in Carrión de los Condes, but arrived there early and decided to continue on to Calzadilla. I don't remember my first course, but the 2nd course was roasted lemon chicken and roasted potatoes with red pepper puree. The chicken was moist and delicious, and I was so happy to have potatoes that weren't French fries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m going to sound like a terrible pilgrim but at the time it just felt convenient but I stayed at Hotel de Pyrenees in SJPDP before starting my Camino and I ate at the restaurant there not realizing it was a Michelin Star restaurant but it was an amazing meal. Don’t judge me, I was nervous about venturing out in the dark!

I’m going to sound like a terrible pilgrim but at the time it just felt convenient but I stayed at Hotel de Pyrenees in SJPDP before starting my Camino and I ate at the restaurant there not realizing it was a Michelin Star restaurant but it was an amazing meal. Don’t judge me, I was nervous about venturing out in the dark!
I'm not sure what about this makes you a terrible pilgrim or why you would be judged for eating a good meal!

Sooo many memorable meals. One of many: Braised cow tongue as part of the pilgrim meal somewhere along the way in Navarre. Sounds terrible, but it was by far one of the best pieces of beef I've ever eaten. The nostalgia factor associated with that memory is high: I was in incredible company, the local red wine was delicious, and I drank enough that I slept soundly and without earplugs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
November 2011 at La Curiosa, Calle del Párroco José Álvarez, 15, Mansilla de las Mulas, I enjoyed an outstanding daily menu for only 10€. It included creamed cauliflower with bacon, grilled salmon and scalloped potatoes, lemon pudding, rosé wine and coffee! Wow! The Michelin inspector should try it! However, the daily menu is NOT offered on Sunday and in all probability the daily prices have risen since 2011. Here is their 2023 web.

Of course on the camino It may be an "hospitalera full of heart" who makes an
unforgetable albergue meal.

Last edited:
I'd say the communal meals at Murias de Rechivaldo (Las Aguedas) and Fonfria (A Reboleira). Las Aguedas because it was my first communal meal and interact with other pilgrims, and the setting at A Reboleira. Communal meals are often the best, simply for the opportunity to meet other pilgrims and learn why they're walking and learn more about them. Not to mention the food's great, too! :)

Most memorable was definitely a communal meal at an albergue in the meseta with the hugest paella pan I’ve ever seen! The paella was also excellent as was the company!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would say that the big tureens of soup in galacia with their wonderful crusty bread. The soups are made in broth of the meat of the day with their wonderful yellow potatoes and veggies and meat. A meal I dream about daily. And of course, paella, but only at the small out of the way restaurants. Enjoy your family time and Buen Camino!

Warm regards,
Jeffrey
These were from 2018, so the may not exist any longer:
Lovely fish dinner in restaurant in Roncevalles
VillaTuerta... Casa Magica... the owners made paella... and there was a small fountain with cool water where you could dip your feet.
Boadilla EL Camino... En El Camino Albergue had a great dinner, and a small swimming pool
Fonfria.. Albergue had a typical Castilian stew but plenty of it and salad. (Plus the first fresh-squeezed orange juice vending machine that I saw in Spain.)
An albergue in Castrojeriz catered to the many Korean pilgrims with a bimbambap dinner... I don't think its there any longer.
And, dare I mention the wonderful Parilla in Santiago, and the amazing fish restaurants in Finisterre (where I had seafood soup, scallops (literally off the boat), and a blackberry flan that I still dream about)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An albergue in Castrojeriz catered to the many Korean pilgrims with a bimbambap dinner... I don't think its there any longer.
It is still there, and Orion is my Go-To stop in Castrojeriz. Beautiful garden, terrific facility, and run by two very lovely people. It helps if you like cats and dogs. A few weeks in, the need for spice becomes overwhelming, and a bowl of chili noodles for lunch is most welcome.

Braised cow tongue as part of the pilgrim meal somewhere along the way in Navarre. Sounds terrible, but it was by far one of the best pieces of beef I've ever eaten.
Agree; a great piece of beef!
I've only had cow's tongue once, but was surprised at how wonderful it was.

Being a Camino veteran, but also a hiking veteran in general, I must say when you walk for weeks, almost all meals become memorable!
Sometimes I eat something after a long day out on the paths and I know I would not touch it under other circumstances, but out there it can still be the most wonderful thing on this planet. Objectively just warm, greasy calories with little or even bad taste, in that situation it is exactly what your body cries for – and you will love it 🤣

But then again, there is of course also really good food, and it does not always have to be in a fancy restaurant. I remember communal dinners in tiny albergues just being perfect on more than one occasion.

And sometimes it is just the company you are in which makes the difference.

Yes, I could mention that I had really nice tapas in a place in Pamplona, or just perfect fish in Fisterra and you name it ... but in the end, when you walk for weeks, you will have all sorts of experience and it will be an exciting blend of culinary emotions. Just be open and try things :)

I must admit, one strong motivation for me to go on a Camino is actually to experience a variation in food, surprises, good ones as bad ones ... and all so different from home.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A memorable meal for me was my first shared dinner on my first Camino in 2011.This was in Obanos at Bar /Restaurante Gazolaz.
Lke others already wrote : more for the good company though food was certainly decent. Most pilgrims walked on so it was a small group of eight pilgrims who stayed in the albergue and decided to have dinner there.

A perfect town to spend a night in a private room is Logroño so you are able to spend some time in the evening at Calle Laurel and the neighbourhood.

Bar Angel for their specialty pintxo : champiñón a la plancha.

Last edited:
Agree; a great piece of beef!
I've only had cow's tongue once, but was surprised at how wonderful it was.
Regarding tongue I am sort of traumatised ;-)

Many decades ago, when Russia was still a country one could travel, early post-soviet times, I was in a compound that used to be a holiday place for privileged Soviet politicians. Since the Soviet era was over, they had transformed this into a place for conferences and other events.
Well, once every week the food delivery truck would arrive, and it happened that mid-week the truck would come and that time it had mainly cow's tongue. So almost all dishes for days to come where something with ... tongue! The only thing tongue free was the dessert 🤣 ... I really do not want to eat tongue ever again since 🙈

I only survived my lengthy stay thanks to the vodka ...

Last edited:
The best meal was in Casa Susi in Trabadelo. Am planning the Leon to SdeC section in June this year and stopping in Casa Susi is a must!! Liam

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Memorable? The croissant I had in Navarette beside the cathedral. It was a proper croissant, not the crescent shaped buns I found everywhere else.
The bowl of cold watermelon in a cafe somewhere on the way to Pamplona. Perfectly ripe, juicy and flavourful and a joy on a very hot day.
A salad I had in Pamplona with the best tomatoes I have ever tasted.
An amazing chilled melon with jamon in um Hornillos?
A plate of grilled vegetables and beans in Sahagun.
Grilled shrimp in Muxia.

I have a food allergy that makes life difficult at times, so tapas and pinchos were useless to me.

A communally prepared meal in the little donativo albergue on the hill in Estella; a communally prepared meal in Casa Magica; a wholefood, organic, veggie meal on my birthday, in Burgos; and tapas, in several locations.
And Irouleguy wine in SJPdP … might be my favourite wine ever ❤️
(and I can’t drink alcohol anymore 🙁)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A very "memorable" experience for me on the Norte several years ago when I was still a newbie was this little story I've posted before. It gave me a laugh in hindsight, so decided to share it again...

"We had stopped in at a restaurant for an early lunch and were the only customers. They had no menus, and we knew no Spanish, so we nodded our heads to what the waiter proposed, having no idea what we had ordered, and even his charades didn't help us understand. He eventually brought out big bowls of brothy soup with soaked bread pieces. Thinking it was the only food we were getting, we were a bit disappointed, but devoured it all.

Eventually six courses in large tureens were served one at a time, which became very humorous to me as I never realized more and more food would be coming. Each course became more wonderful than the one before it, but unfortunately we'd filled up on the early ones, so became too full to eat much of the mouth watering meat dishes that came later.

We finally decided we'd better stand up to pay, worrying how much we were going to be charged for the huge meal. The waiter seemed totally surprised and said with a thick accent, "What...no flan?"😅

Because I didn’t eat a pilgrims meal or stay at an albergue!

Nothing about that precludes you from being a pilgrim. The way I understand being a pilgrim is by allowing the Camino to provide. It sounds absolutely ‘pilgrimish’ to book into some private accommodation (because you can or need to or want to) for a night and then ‘accidentally’ get a Michelin meal. 🤣😂🤣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's my understanding that the albergues were started to accommodate pilgrims who could not afford other accommodations. It's quite pilgrim-like to leave those accommodations to those who really need them.

The most memorable food was on Portuguese before Porto - amazing octopus, fish, tiny snails, incredible pasteis de nata and other pastries.
On Via de la Plata when I was tired and hungry- very simple meals - ensalata mixta, meat (often very badly butchered) and chips and one time nutella mousse.
On Francés (2007) it was wonderful communal meals with all the pilgrims in an albergue, evening picnic dinners in the park with my first Camino family, and then wonderful lentil soups with my final Camino family.

It's my understanding that the albergues were started to accommodate pilgrims who could not afford other accommodations. It's quite pilgrim-like to leave those accommodations to those who really need them.
Not quite my understanding. In the early years of the Camino revival (mid to late 1980s) many of the smaller places had no hostals or similar private accommodation. Unless you had personal transport arranged to take you off-Camino to stay then the pilgrim refugios were often the only place to sleep no matter how deep your pockets might be. Most pilgrims then were much younger than the average today and students were in the majority.

Not quite my understanding. In the early years of the Camino revival (mid to late 1980s) many of the smaller places had no hostals or similar private accommodation. Unless you had personal transport arranged to take you off-Camino to stay then the pilgrim refugios were often the only place to sleep no matter how deep your pockets might be. Most pilgrims then were much younger than the average today and students were in the majority.
Thanks. Regardless of why the albergue system was developed, it's not necessary to stay in albergues to be a pilgrim. And I believe that if there is a shortage of beds the "pilgrim" thing to do is to leave the less expensive albergue beds to those who can't afford other accommodations.

Almost all of our meals were eaten in the company of our lovely and continually growing Camino family which made them incredibly wonderful regardless of what we ate, so I will focus on the food which is what I think you wanted in this post. The most delicious was a vegetable stew called Menestra Vedura at El Torretto in Puenta de la Reina. It has a wonderful vegetable that is like an artichoke but you eat the stem, not the flower called a cardoon. Another dish that is incredible is the special cheese in O'Cebriero which is served with local honey and their Galician soup was especially good. One hot day we arrived in Villamayor del Rio on the way to Beldorado and needed a rest. We stopped at Restaurant Leon and ordered a jug of Sangria which was by far the best on the whole trip, full of fresh peaches and other fruits. We also ate a Salad Russe there which was incredible. It is a potato salad with lots of vegetables in it. In Santiago, we had one of the best dinners that I have ever eaten in Casa Marcello. There isn't a menu, you just eat what the chef serves you and it was all incredible. A great way to celebrate the end of our journey and we were accompanied by our son who was about to leave us for a long sea voyage. Cheaper, but also wonderful was our lunch in San Jaime which did wonderful scallops and a fish platter.

I have two very memorable meals from my "COVID Camino" (walking right as Spain reopened). MANY businesses and albergues were still closed - making it a little challenging to find places to eat. Fortunately gronze .com was pretty accurate for accommodations - but too many bars were closed as I passed through towns, especially before 9am.

In one instance - I sought accommodation a municipal albergue over what was obviously the town bar hangout for locals. I was the only pilgrim - and the wife prepared me a special meal. Including pasta with clams. She went out of her way to take care of me and they were so appreciative to see a pilgrim stay with them - especially one from outside of Spain.

In another instance - It had been cold and rainy for a couple days already and this particular day I was quite miserable. I popped into what turned out to be a VERY cute little bar, that was also popular with the locals. I had a late breakfast and then I tried to check into the albergue a few doors down. It was locked and the locals who were standing outside the bar were trying to tell me something which I didn't really understand - but I realized they were telling me to stay put and they had sent for a young man to open the albergue for me. Again - they were obviously happy to see pilgrims returning. Later, I went back to the bar and in my broken Spanish I was asking the gentleman if there would be a dinner offered. He disappeared, returned, "sshhhhhh'ed " me (gestured for me to be quiet/secretive) - then gestured for me to follow him behind a closed door which lead up the stairs (making me just a little nervous haha). At the top of the stairs it turned out was a small dining room and he had asked his wife to prepare me dinner! When I was done - he made sure to invite me to return at 7am for breakfast. It seemed as if he opened his bar in the morning - just for me!

Both meals were obviously special to me.

Other than that... my most memorable meals were simply spent with other pilgrims, talking, laughing, and enjoying each other's company.

I don’t judge anyone fine meals in fine restaurants *** it’s what I love most and at 67 thankful that I can afford em!!

Warm regards,
Jeffrey

24 March 2014. Pulpo at the semi-open family restaurant on the left entering Melide. Big plate of delicious vegetable soup then pulpo cooked I think with pimiento and eaten bit by bit with toothpicks. I had been told the place wss world famous and the simple meal didn’t disappoint. Don’t know if it’s still there or not

Thanks. Regardless of why the albergue system was developed, it's not necessary to stay in albergues to be a pilgrim. And I believe that if there is a shortage of beds the "pilgrim" thing to do is to leave the less expensive albergue beds to those who can't afford other accommodations.
That is certainly my feeling. I know that there are many who need the cheapest accommodation to be able to afford such a long time travelling and I mostly leave these to those who need them most though sometimes it is the only option in a town that is a suitable distance away. During the height of the season, I don't think that there are enough albergues to accommodate everyone anyway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"best value for money: Parillada Xacobeo in Triacastela (beef steak, vegetables, potatoes and a bottle of Crianza for 10€"

I totally concur with the above comment
4yrs ago today I completed my Camino Frances and the Xacobeo stands out, not only for the bar and meal but also their accommodation just up the street.

I returned with my wife a year later, just before Covid.

Up to then, she assumed that my time on the walk and especially my sleeping and eating opportunities had been basic in the extreme but after being into the Albergues Xacobeo and having a meal there, she totally altered her opinion.

Possibly our best meal on the Camino Frances was Comosapiens in Atapuerca just 20km before Burgos. That was in 2018 and hopefully it is still in business.

Possibly our best meal on the Camino Frances was Comosapiens in Atapuerca just 20km before Burgos. That was in 2018 and hopefully it is still in business.

Still running.
Raving reviews.

The dinner we made ourselves pooling food supplies from pilgrims at San Martin albergue. Most of us had walked together from Leon, and had an impromptu lunch from shared items as well.
They do a pilgrim dinner there as well, and on another visit that was very memorable as well - both for the company as much as the food.
And the pilgrim dinner at Fonfria, they have a round house they serve the dinner in, and I think my husband had 3 helpings.
Fonfria was the one that sprang to mind for me. Good food and a great atmosphere

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
24 March 2014. Pulpo at the semi-open family restaurant on the left entering Melide. Big plate of delicious vegetable soup then pulpo cooked I think with pimiento and eaten bit by bit with toothpicks. I had been told the place wss world famous and the simple meal didn’t disappoint. Don’t know if it’s still there or not
Ahhh. Pulpo. At the huge Zafra agricultural show - pulpo cooked/simmered in the open air kitchen. Served in a bowl and eaten with a tooth pick.
Sadly I was too full of pulpo to try the paella.

Attachments

• 2EAC1DFA-6D12-4A7B-AB8C-D70903120FFD.jpeg
    2EAC1DFA-6D12-4A7B-AB8C-D70903120FFD.jpeg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 30D9A919-55ED-41DD-A167-9E78DFB947EF.jpeg
    30D9A919-55ED-41DD-A167-9E78DFB947EF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The dinner at Casa Susi was amazing! My favourite by far of the whole Camino

Grañon was also memorable, preparing dinner together in the parochial albergue.

Albergue Casa Domingo really stood out for the hospitaleros kindness - my sister and I asked if there was any possibility of a vegetarian option in advance and they said no problem. We had no idea what we would end up eating that night, but they cooked a small mushroom and rice dish separate from the main dish that had meat. It was delicious!

Albergue Orión in Castrojeriz - one of the owner's is Korean and we loved getting a home cooked Korean meal! A nice change at that point of the Camino, as a lot of menus can be very similar from place to place.

My first Camino. Summer 1990. A tiny bar right opposite the monastery in Samos. No signs but the beer crates outside were a giveaway! :) There was a charcoal grill going and when I asked about food I was offered lamb chops - brushed with oil and rosemary and slapped on the grill. Served with bread. Superb! Halfway through my meal the bar suddenly emptied with lots of chatter. I followed everyone into the street to see a young couple passing by with a donkey and receiving lots of cheers and good wishes from the customers! Definitely the most memorable meal of that first walk.

Two places:
One was the bar/restaurant/albergue La Finca just outside of Fromista. The albergue is now closed as I understand. We had a communal meal at a big table prepared by the owners. Two large tureens of lentil soup and I don't even remember what else I ordered! There were a few Australians, an Italian, a couple of Frenchman, four or five Americans. The Frenchman had been in China before it reopened in the 70's and he and the Chinese-American from Chicago were shouting a conversation from different ends of the table in different languages about the experience. One poor Frenchman who was a baker was trying to translate from the middle of the table. Lively and fun. The food was hot and delicious, but the company was even better...

Restaurant Casa Barrunta in San Nicolas del Real on the Meseta where Phil and I stumbled upon a Dodge Car Collectors club meeting. Old Dodge Chargers and other models of various vintage years etc. parked up and down the streets of the little town. The owner of the restaurant advised us to come back at a certain time later after the meeting and we had the most fabulous meal. Phil had tripe soup for a starter (he didn't know what tripe was and he loved it anyway) and then we had a melt in your mouth pot roast for the main course. For dessert, Phil had ice cream with whiskey poured over it. Enjoyed the discussion with the staff and owner who wanted to know why we would come all the way from the US to stay in and eat at their tiny town. Again great meal, but mostly about the people we met...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Best meal ever in Santiago at a tapas bar. Sat with 5 other pilgrims I met along the way and we had all completed our walk the day before. We each ordered different things and shared, Then we ordered more, And more, And then everyone had desert. Everything was delicious, I dont think I have ever eaten so much incredibly delicious food before- and so much of it! No one said - OMG I cant eat this, it will make me fat. Or -oh! no more- I'm stuffed, We ate and drank and ate and drank some more and talked and laughed and it was the most fun I've had --- for a very long time. I loved the people with whom I was sharing this meal. The server smiled and laughed with us and took pictures, We left a gigantic tip. I'll never forget this night.

There would be a few:
  • arriving at the municipal albergue in Burgos one freezing November night at around 8.30, knowing barely any Spanish, and with nothing apparently open nearby (this was when the albergue was a log cabin in the park on the way out of town). A young Spanish couple, doing the camino on a threadbare shoestring, together with their dog, and beautiful white Persian cat, kindly shared their simple dinner of pasta with olive oil and garlic with me as I defrosted.
  • meeting those same two pilgrims weeks later, on the day I started my attempt at a reverse camino, to see how far I could get before I had to be back in the UK. I had gone a couple of kms past the huge complex at Monte de Gozo, when I spotted a small group of pilgrims heading my way. Although it was another filthy day, just like the day we'd met, the dog recognised me from about 800 metres away, and came barrelling up to greet me. We were so happy to meet up again, that I turned around and walked back to the MdG complex where nothing but the camp shop was open. We stocked up on sardines, crackers, bread, wine, and beer, and had a fabulous reunion party before going our separate ways in the morning.
  • As to restaurants - La Codorniz in Sahagun (great selection of complimetary orujos), all of Calle Laurel in Logroño, especially the mushroom bars - I think there are two - and, last but not least, Meson La Cueva in Burgos (on the left in the cathedral square) with its fabulous, traditional sopa de ajos, cordero asado, and homemade patxaran.

Mine was on the Primitivo. Albergue Bodenaya. Alison and Alberto had just taken over, and reopened the Albergue less than a week prior. The food was great (with both vegetarian and meat options) our hosts wonderful, and over dinner we all got to know each other with Alison’s active assistance. I had anticipated walking my Camino alone, however from that day onwards there were always at least 4 of us at dinner (and we remain in contact).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd say the communal meals at Murias de Rechivaldo (Las Aguedas) and Fonfria (A Reboleira). Las Aguedas because it was my first communal meal and interact with other pilgrims, and the setting at A Reboleira. Communal meals are often the best, simply for the opportunity to meet other pilgrims and learn why they're walking and learn more about them. Not to mention the food's great, too! :)
PhxRiles,
I completely concur! I may not remember the hills, rain or where I stopped for a second breakfast; I will always remember the communal meals. We didn’t share a common language, but it didn’t seem to matter.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    848.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm very fond of this thread, so I'm going to keep it going with a couple of meals which were memorable for all the wrong reasons!

Triacastela - early December, 1998. I arrived at the municipal albergue only to find it seemingly closed. After hammering on the door for a while, a Brazilian pilgrim opened it and greeted me effusively. I am really not a tactile person so it was very uncomfortable to be hugged long and hard by a complete stranger. We arranged to have dinner together in the refugio. She claimed that she already had all the food necessary, so I went out to buy some wine to go with it. When I returned, she claimed that she never drank alcohol, and that I should keep out of the kitchen while she prepared dinner. Dinner was served! She'd gone to a lot of trouble to make several dishes - of those dishes, I remember a lovely tomato and onion salad, fried cheese (weird!) and a whole carton-full of fried eggs. There was more, but I don't remember it. We sat down, and she insisted on saying grace - and it was a long grace, about 10 minutes, as I recall. Of course, everything was cold by then. About ten minutes into the meal (I was really filling up with that salad) she announced that even though she didn't drink, she was going to try some wine. She filled a plastic tumbler with about half a litre of wine, and then proceeded to down it in short order and fill her glass again. After the meal, she insisted that we went to Mass, which we did. She was extraordinarily drunk, and made a total exhibition of herself. I was absolutely mortified. As we got ready for bed, she invited me to share her bed with her, and proceeded to follow me to the open-plan showers, where she just stood and stared. The following morning, as though nothing had happened, she announced her intention to hitch a ride to the next town, as she couldn't be bothered to walk. I last saw her in that huge refugio in SdC, where she had met up with her original walking partner, and her newfound boyfriend. She seemed happy.

Triacastela - later in December
I was on my way back from Santiago, seeing how far I could get before I needed to return to London. I arrived at the refuge, and once again found the door blocked. Eventually, my knocking was answered by a man - an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous man. He was Portuguese, but spoke pretty good English. We agreed to have dinner together. He insisted on going to buy the food, while I was charged with getting the wine. Later, there was food - I don't remember what it was, but I do remember that it featured numerous fried eggs. At this point, my friend told me that although some people thought he had a problem with alcohol, he himself didn't. He did mention that he liked to start the day with a litre of white wine. In any case, I clearly didn't buy enough wine because I remember that we ended up at a bar which was halfway up the steps between the refugio and the church. I think I bought a lot of brandy that evening. The following day, I woke up to find that my companion had already left. I found him in that halfway bar, charming the landlady out of coffee and brandy which he didn't have the money to pay for. During the course of the evening before, when he was very, very drunk, he admitted that he was a Portuguese criminal, who'd walked off from a good conduct Christmas leave pass. and was now roaming the Galician part of the camino, waiting for the picking season to start in France.

I had lots of good paellas. The best one, with scallops, mussels and scrimps I had in Finestierre, the second restaurant at the harbour, second from the bus stop, can't remember the name of it. There I ALSO had the best tagliatelle/pesto-dish.

Yeah and I am sure that Peregrinos Alfonso II and Alfonso III stayed at albergues and made sure those were municipals ;):rolleyes:😇

Everyone is correct. Not staying in albergues, not eating Pilgrim's menu and using any sort of public transportation from buses to taxis (and lets not forget the usage of mobile devices with texting ability and GPS) does NOT "not make you a Pilgrim".
Don't shorten yourself out by applying "labels" to yourself.

It's always the people... for me that's what my camino is all about. The good the bad and the ugly.

No I was responding to the person who was complaining about what I said about me not being a pilgrim.
"that person" was as far as I read it just saying that wherever you decide to sleep and eat and how you do a camino overall does not define if you are a pilgrim or not. You do not "disqualify" yourself by whatever choice you make in all this.
I thought that was actually nice... and it is more or less the same as I wrote a while ago further up.
So if you feel offended by what he wrote, please be offended by what I wrote as well. Else it would not be fair, would it?

"that person" was as far as I read it just saying that wherever you decide to sleep and eat and how you do a camino overall does not define if you are a pilgrim or not. You do not "disqualify" yourself by whatever choice you make in all this.
I thought that was actually nice... and it is more or less the same as I wrote a while ago further up.
So if you feel offended by what he wrote, please be offended by what I wrote as well. Else it would not be fair, would it?
No I’m not offended. My original post explains that it was my first day and I was only making a judgment on myself. I do not have issue with who’s a pilgrim or isn’t. It was about me and my own perception on day one of my Camino. It didn’t require me to be educated on what makes a pilgrim of doesn’t. I feel like in this sub, people like to wax poetic when it really wasn’t that deep to begin with.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No I’m not offended. My original post explains that it was my first day and I was only making a judgment on myself. I do not have issue with who’s a pilgrim or isn’t. It was about me and my own perception on day one of my Camino. It didn’t require me to be educated on what makes a pilgrim of doesn’t. I feel like in this sub, people like to wax poetic when it really wasn’t that deep to begin with.
ok, as I was blowing the same horn I will erase my earlier post.

But on the other hand I think it is quite nice that words posted on here lead to people reflect about concepts and ideas. I saw nothing personal or judgmental in that.

Last edited:

Warm regards,
Jeffrey
Hotel Roncesvalles was where we had our best meal. Extremely high quality food in a great environment. 😊

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.