A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Memorial for Denise?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (June-Aug 2018)
Camino Portuguese from Porto Oct 2018
Camino Frances (July-Aug 2019)
I've hiked the entire Camino Frances twice (2018 and 2019) and despite looking for it, I have yet to find the memorial for Denise Thiem (the pilgrim murdered near Astorga in April of 2015). Yet this year I came across this beautiful mural 13KM west of Burgos (my photo location says "Rabe de las Calzadas) on which "Denise" and appears to be a "fallen pilgrim" in need of help. I can't help but think it's a reference to Denise Thiem, certainly a "fallen pilgrim." I think about Denise often and I'm really curious if anyone knows whether or not this mural is also a memorial for her. I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Attachments

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Just past Astorga there is the Ecce Homo chapel on the left (south) side of the road, on the west side of a small lane. Just across the lane (so east of the chapel) is a small garden of trees. This is a memorial garden and Denise's marker is here, along with others.

I can't speak to the mural.

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you NorthernLight and wayfarer for your posts. I've read about this memorial tree with the shells but somehow have missed it twice. Is it actually on the Camino Frances or does one need to leave the trail to find it? I'm still hoping someone can answer my question about the mural. I can't help but think it's about Denise Thiem.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
It's right on the marked trail. If you cross the road as you approach the chapel, it's there on your left.

When I was there in 2017, pilgrims were pausing at the chapel for a sello, but I was the only one in the garden. It wasn't advertised in big shiny signage.

I've seen another memorial for Denise but I can't remember off hand where I saw it.

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
So I just researched the location of the Ecce Homo chapel and it is clearly along the Camino Frances, and just outside of Astorga. So easy to find. I don't know how I've missed this twice now.. If I ever hike the CF again, I'll be sure to find it! As for the beautiful mural with a reference to a "Denise" perhaps someone will know....

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks, NorthernLight, I just saw your second post. Did you ever see that mural (photo I posted)?

DebR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances:
2013; 2014; 2015; 2017; 2018; and counting down to Christmas 2019

Attachments

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
So beautiful. Thank you for sharing. That is such a nice setting for her memorial.

Yoyo

Camino(s) past & future
2017: CF 800 km
2019: CF 180 km
The link @wayfarer posted takes one directly to Denise's memorial site.
I wonder why the picture on google maps shows the entrance to Foncebadón which is another 20+ km further on. 🤔

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 09.30.42.png

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés
I'm really curious if anyone knows whether or not this mural is also a memorial for her. I can't find anything on the internet about it.
I stopped and looked at that mural for a long time, as I couldn’t make sense of it. It so obviously refers to Denise, but the situation is all wrong. I finally gave up and walked on. It is on the end of the building that has these murals along the side:

253.jpg

252.jpg

251.jpg

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
I stopped and looked at that mural for a long time, as I couldn’t make sense of it. It so obviously refers to Denise, but the situation is all wrong. I finally gave up and walked on. It is on the end of the building that has these murals along the side:
I don't recall this monstrosity at all. It looks fairly recent. Google Earth still shows the building in its "unadorned" state. Who did this, an individual or some kind of group?

Rabe.jpg

Last edited:

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
The link @wayfarer posted takes one directly to Denise's memorial site.
I wonder why the picture on google maps shows the entrance to Foncebadón which is another 20+ km further on. 🤔

View attachment 64597
Hmmm, good eye! I'm not sure why either. I found a way to notify Google of the problem. Lol, we had bedbugs in a hostel in Foncebadon this year so I'll never forget that village! At least that red marker in the photo you posted is the correct location for the Pilgrim Memorial Grove (just west of Astorga) and Denise's memorial tree. Thank you.

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future
I don't recall this monstrosity at all. It looks fairly recent. Google Earth still shows the building in its "unadorned" state. Who did this, an individual or some kind of group?

View attachment 64607

I passed the building in mid-July of 2018 and mid-July of 2019. The murals were definitely painted on the side in July of 2018 (I have photos from my camino) but I don't remember seeing the mural on the end (the one with reference to Denise) in 2018. I think I would have noticed it and taken a photo. Fast forward to mid-July of 2019 - it was very obvious this year and I took a photo. I'm guessing it was added later than my camino in mid-July of 2018. It's kind of sad to see....

Orlando Wren

Camino(s) past & future

View attachment 64602

View attachment 64603

View attachment 64604
Yes, that is the one for sure. I passed this building in mid-July 2018 and mid-July 2019 and saw these murals. I didn't see the one with the reference for Denise in 2018, maybe I missed it? I think I would have noticed it then and taken a photo. But I have a photo from this year and I was curious as well. It's kind of sad...

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
I have a feeling that I've seen the posters elsewhere that are on one of the walls. They obviously address an international audience as these very well known Bible quotes are in Spanish, English and French (a few other painted Bible quotes are also in German). I wonder whether the name of an organisation or group is on the posters. I would send them a letter of protest. Not that I'd expect any reaction or change.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
The location of a photo can be manually edited into the internal notes of the file. The photographer must have made a mistake and Google didn't know better. I used a tool to flag that the picture was of the wrong place.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
The Pilgrim Memorial Grove is part of Peaceable Projects Inc., a US-based charity that funds non-profit groups along the Caminos. We are now securing funding for better waymarking and signposting of the grove, to indicate where it is as well as what it is about. Denise Theim was the primary focus, we worked with her family to create a simple and appropriate memorial. Several other pilgrims who died along the Way are also memorialized there. You can learn more at https://www.peaceableprojects.org .

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%