• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Memorial Shells for Denise....

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Many of us are planning to carry a second shell on our Caminos in Memory of our sister Peregrina, Denise, to complete the journey she was denied.

The idea is to carry the second shell, with her name on it, to Santiago or pass it on to someone who is continuing from your stopping point.

For those who care to...the shells can be left with Faith at the Pilgrim House in Santiago.
http://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/pilgrim/

Faith will keep the shells safely together. Faith and Nate have worked very closely with Denise's brother, Cedric, and her family through this long and sad search.
The Pilgrim House will also provide note paper for those who wish to write a small note to the family.

This is simply for those who wish to take part as a way to actively honor Denise's life.

Faith will monitor this thread to answer any questions regarding location or dropping off of the shells.

Please do not use this thread to find fault with this endeavor. If you disagree....simply do not participate.
Thanks for understanding.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am "in" and a dear pilgrim friend @Viranani ---a pilgrim I met on this forum---is mailing me a shell expressly for Denise's shell that I will carry. That means I will carry the shell for Denise and my friend carries us both in her heart. I will leave 1 October from SJPP, after spending a night there. Its ultimate destination will be with Faith and Nate, after I take it to the cathedral in Santiago and receive blessing.

Consider speaking to "Johnnie Walker" at Santiago about where to place the shells.

While working as a Pilgrim Office Volunteer this past July - August, an Irish pilgrim approached me and asked where she was supposed to leave a small shell she was carrying at the request of another person back home. I mentioned Cruz de Ferro. She promptly told me that: "no, there was another practice of placing shells somewhere in Santiago, in a manner similar to placing a stone at Cruz de Ferro."

Not knowing the actual answer, I surmised that the Chapel of Solitude, where the English Mass is said six days a week, might be a good place. So, I made this suggestion and provided direction on how to find the chapel...north transept, east side, opposite confessional #14. She was happy, and walked off towards the Cathedral

One day later, I was speaking to Johnnie, after said daily Mass, and asked him the question. He relied "why here of course," referring to the Chapel of Solitude. Whew! At least I surmised correctly when I advised the Irish pilgrim to place her shell there.

I am not certain exactly where in the chapel these things should be placed. However, Johnnie would know. Besides, if he knows this memorial effort is ramping up, he might made a special provision so other pilgrims, bringing second shells for Denise, would know where to place them properly.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
John will be involved in the ultimate home of the shells that are carried. I have been in contact with him.

For now.....the simplest and best place for people to leave the shells is with Faith at the Pilgrim House.
Not only is it a central place to leave the shells, but it is a great place to quietly relax and contemplate the Camino you have finished.
You can print boarding passes, leave your backpack, have a coffee, connect to WiFi, use a clean bathroom, and have your laundry cleaned.

In a separate PM with CaminoDebrita, she and I discussed doing just this. I recommended using the Pilgrim House (#19 Rua Nova) to "front end" the memorial effort.

I suggested contacting Johnnie Walker as he runs the Camino Chaplaincy Program for the Archdiocese and practically speaking "controls" what is placed in the Chapel of Solitude, and where it is placed. So, if the memorial scallop shells are intended to end up there or in the Cathedral generally, he is the logical person to coordinate with.

Also, I am very aware and appreciative of the cooperative relationship that Johnnie and the Chaplaincy has with Nate, Faith, and the staff at Pilgrim House. They work together daily as a team, two sides of a coin if you will. In fact, when I volunteered at the P/O this summer for a month, we had daily contact on a variety of issues involving pilgrims.

This year, the Pilgrim Office (P/O) re-focused its mission to the historic purpose of documenting pilgrim arrivals, so it can try to make that process more efficient in the face of ever-increasing pilgrim arrivals. Accordingly, the P/O leaves all other pilgrim-related tasks to the more appropriate entities.

For example, the P/O no longer provides maps, guides, or other "tourist" or onward pilgrim information. There are two professionally staffed offices for the City of Santiago de Compostela (#63 Rua do Vilar) and Province of Galicia (#32 Rua do Vilar). These is also an office for Portugal Tourism located just before the Galician Tourist Office (#30 Rua do Vilar). In addition, there are offices for ALSA buses, Correos and RENFE services located either in the P/O courtyard or just outside.

The Pilgrim House fits well into this revised business model, as it provides virtually all things other than Compostelas or Distance Certificates to pilgrims in Santiago. After two years as a volunteer at the P/O, I find that this specialized approach appears to work best for all involved. The P/O can process more pilgrims with available staff. All the other offices that assist pilgrims can provide appropriate help.

I hope this helps clarify matters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is hoped that this can be kept very simple and caring. For now...carry a second shell for Denise and leave it with the Pilgrim House (#19 Rua Nova) in Santiago.

We can make a decision much later as to the use of the shells carried.
Faith will carefully and respectfully look after the collection of the shells.

If you have questions about the Pilgrim House or directions for finding it....Faith will be happy to answer questions on this thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello friends,
Yes, we are very happy to take the shells for Denise at Pilgrim House. If I'm not on duty, Nate or our colleagues Gale, Anne, Danielle, and Jeremiah will collect them and keep them safe as we decide how to create a memorial.

God bless you all; grieving with you,
Faith

Many of us are planning to carry a second shell on our Caminos in Memory of our sister Peregrina, Denise, to complete the journey she was denied.

The idea is to carry the second shell, with her name on it, to Santiago or pass it on to someone who is continuing from your stopping point.

For those who care to...the shells can be left with Faith at the Pilgrim House in Santiago.
http://pilgrimhousesantiago.com/pilgrim/

Faith will keep the shells safely together. Faith and Nate have worked very closely with Denise's brother, Cedric, and her family through this long and sad search.
The Pilgrim House will also provide note paper for those who wish to write a small note to the family.

This is simply for those who wish to take part as a way to actively honor Denise's life.

Faith will monitor this thread to answer any questions regarding location or dropping off of the shells.

Please do not use this thread to find fault with this endeavor. If you disagree....simply do not participate.
Thanks for understanding.

Thank you so much for arranging this.

Thanks grayland for getting the ball rolling, and Faith for caring for the shells until there is some clarity about what to do with them. Later. Second that motion--to keep it VERY simple and caring right now. Some of us are pretty tender, and so the urge to do is a way to avoid simply feeling.
I was one of those who walked at the same time as Denise--and although I only met her once or twice, I walked from Astorga to Rabanal the day before she disappeared. So the way events have unfolded...it is hard to express. And so I am very grateful to Caminodebrita for carrying my shell for Denise. What happens after it gets to Faith in Santiago? That is less important to me than the sending of it to and the carrying of it.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks grayland for getting the ball rolling, and Faith for caring for the shells until there is some clarity about what to do with them. Later. Second that motion--to keep it VERY simple and caring right now. Some of us are pretty tender, and so the urge to do is a way to avoid simply feeling.
I was one of those who walked at the same time as Denise--and although I only met her once or twice, I walked from Astorga to Rabanal the day before she disappeared. So the way events have unfolded...it is hard to express. And so I am very grateful to Caminodebrita for carrying my shell for Denise. What happens after it gets to Faith in Santiago? That is less important to me than the sending of it to and the carrying of it.....
I will carry it with love. And your circumstance in walking with Denise opened my friendship with you, dear one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hope this is a long term idea. I'm sure there are many of us on the forum who don't know when our next Camino will be, who would still like to carry a shell in memory of Denise whenever we begin again.

And for people who will carry a second shell now, if you can not continue for some reason, do not hesitate to pass on your shell into someone else's care. This is what a community is about. When I was ill and could not continue beyond Leon, I "passed on" a prayer request from my overnight stay at the convent in Sahagun. I feel sure that that prayer reached its destination.

Well done @grayland and the Pilgrim House. What a beautiful idea.

I started the Francis at the end of April and walked thinking and speaking often of Denise, especially near Astorga. This effort makes me want to go back to Astorga and carry a shell just for her in memory. If only walking in her behalf would ease all the heartache this has caused.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If anyone else wants me to walk with "their" shell for Denise, please feel free to PM me. I can take three more shells with me. There is enough time for you to mail me your shell if it can get to me before 28 September, and I will go all the way, and deliver it to Nate and Faith. Let me know if anyone would like me to take theirs <3

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€60,-
If there is anyone else out there who (like me) was walking 'with' Denise, this is a wonderful chance to send the shell you were carrying when we all were together to someone who can complete the journey on her behalf. I bow in gratitude to CaminoDebrita who is carrying mine--and will perhaps do so for others. And if you can carry a shell...a post would be good too.
Perhaps a dedicated "Shell Exchange" thread is in order?
This is a wonderful family. Thank you, everyone, from Ivar 'down' to the newest member just signing up now!

When was a young man I use to backpack on Catalina island, just off the southern California coast. My best friend and I would hike to the top of the island then down a steep ravine to a beach we named Freedom Beach. We would make camp on the narrow strip of sand and spend the time living like hobos. We'd dive for lobster, fish, and pluck black abalone off the low tide rocks. At night we'd count passing satellites, and fall asleep sure in our belief of tomorrow. In May, on my pack, I will have the scallop shell I carried on my first Camino and a black abalone shell from Freedom Beach for Denise. If anyone see's me, please introduce yourself and we'll have a CruzCampo.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When was a young man I use to backpack on Catalina island, just off the southern California coast. My best friend and I would hike to the top of the island then down a steep ravine to a beach we named Freedom Beach. We would make camp on the narrow stripe of sand and spend the time living like hobos. We'd dive for lobster, fish, and pluck black abalone off the low tide rocks. At night we'd count passing satellites, and fall asleep sure in our belief of tomorrow. In May, on my pack, I will have the scallop shell I carried on my first Camino and a black abalone shell from Freedom Beach for Denise. If anyone see's me, please introduce yourself and we'll have a CruzCampo.

I am planning a return next May starting in Logrono...maybe we will meet! Buen Camino!

foyleview, there are many shells available in St Jean, you can't miss them.
Buen Camino...may you and your son have a safe and wonderful journey!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
foyleview, there are many shells available in St Jean, you can't miss them.
Buen Camino...may you and your son have a safe and wonderful journey!
Thanks hope we finish the walk

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pilgrim Office in St. Jean have shells for a 1 euro donation.
Credentials, daily weather conditions, elevation maps and open albergues along the route are available.

Buen Camino

i am walking starting April 1, 2016 from SJPP and would happily carry a couple small shells with me if that is helpful to anyone. PM me if you want to send a shell. i'm planning on carry one for denise and one for me, but i'd love to carry a couple extras!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If anyone else wants me to walk with "their" shell for Denise, please feel free to PM me. I can take three more shells with me. There is enough time for you to mail me your shell if it can get to me before 28 September, and I will go all the way, and deliver it to Nate and Faith. Let me know if anyone would like me to take theirs <3

Like @CaminoDebrita I am able to carry an extra couple of shells and will deliver them to Nate and Faith upon my arrival in Santiago. Feel free to PM me. They would need to reach me in London, England before 29 September.

Well this is a beautiful concept. I wonder if we could add to this with the crux de ferro? Not sure what. Stone with her name on it?
Peace xxxx
GREAT idea, David.

If you have time, google the "Love Rocks" project that a mom and dad put together in honor of their two daughters, lost to a bad driver.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am home now, but was on the Camino in early April. Denise has been in my prayers these many weeks. I will find my shell this morning, and wearing it, go to mass. My prayers are for her and for her family.

€60,-
John will be involved in the ultimate home of the shells that are carried. I have been in contact with him.

For now.....the simplest and best place for people to leave the shells is with Faith at the Pilgrim House.
Not only is it a central place to leave the shells, but it is a great place to quietly relax and contemplate the Camino you have finished.
You can print boarding passes, leave your backpack, have a coffee, connect to WiFi, use a clean bathroom, and have your laundry cleaned.
Grayland I leave Monday for Madrid, then on to StJPdP to start Sept 25. I will carry a shell from here on Vancouver Island with her name and will leave it with Faith. Give my love to West Seattle…..

We are all excited for you, Maggie.
Enjoy every step!
It is always stressful traveling to your starting point. Try to just keep calm during the travel part.

Once you get there...just sigh and let the Camino happen.
No worries. Walk, stop, shower, wash clothes, eat, sleep.....and repeat.

Let us know how you are doing.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are all excited for you, Maggie.
Enjoy every step!
It is always stressful traveling to your starting point. Try to just keep calm during the travel part.

Once you get there...just sigh and let the Camino happen.
No worries. Walk, stop, shower, wash clothes, eat, sleep.....and repeat.

Let us know how you are doing.

Buen Camino
I and my backpack are being blessed tomorrow morning. I have so much gratitude for the whole Camino family.

Attachments

• MM backpack.jpg
    MM backpack.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 8
Buen Camino, Maggie, and everyone else who is walking soon. See you in Santiago. We received our very first shell for Denise today from a pilgrim who arrived just this morning. It's moving to think how lovingly and caringly the shells will be carried over the miles.
Faith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I and my backpack are being blessed tomorrow morning. I have so much gratitude for the whole Camino family.
Like, like, like!
May you have a very Buen Camino, movinmaggie.

Buen Camino, Maggie, and everyone else who is walking soon. See you in Santiago. We received our very first shell for Denise today from a pilgrim who arrived just this morning. It's moving to think how lovingly and caringly the shells will be carried over the miles.
Wonderful, and so touching...all these shells will be a tangible expression of our care and love, so often expressed here on the Forum. Thank you, Faith for holding the shells for us while their ultimate destination is being decided. And echoing another post...I would hope that the they can be received for some time...perhaps a year from now?...so that everyone who might be doing their Camino next year can have the chance to walk with Denise in spirit.

€60,-
Well have arrived in sarria, five more days and we will be in Santiago, bringing a shell for denise

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back