• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Men's grooming

PAK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
How do pilgrims (male) manage their hair and beards while on their Camino? Carry a hair trimmer, razor etc. or use local barbers. I cannot grow a beard and need to keep my hair short for my skin type

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I get a number two cut for my head hair before I leave and I don't shave. I was away for 80 days and so while in Portugal I went to a local barber and got another number 2 but for both my head hair and my facial hair.

I get a nice, short haircut right before I leave (medium skin fade, maybe finger width on top). Wash and go. Comb-able after 1-2 weeks. Awesome.

I carry a razor with with 3-4 disposable heads that I change out weekly (lighter, less trash) and use cheap plastic razor head covers to avoid self-inflicted lacerations when digging through my kit. I was using Barbasol shaving cream from the 1.5 oz. sample-size containers, but will use a non-aerosol cream (a product similar to Cremo) in a small container in the future (can use much less cream and still get a better shave).

I grew out a nice, full beard before I hiked the TMB last summer/fall and could not bring myself to shear it back. I just gave it a quick comb in the morning, carried a tiny amount of Brisk beard balm to get it into shape following the afternoon shower.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I shave every morning in the shower and visit some big-city local barber about every 3 weeks. (Harder to find barbers in small towns.)

There was a barbershop near a laundromat in Gijon; so while my clothes were being cleaned, I had my hair cut. Can't remember the cost, but it wasn't expensive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mother Nature opted to give me a six inch part on the crown of my head. So I go into a small barber shop every three weeks and get a trim around the edges. If I let it grow for six weeks or seven weeks, like I did on the VF last summer, it begins to look like a bad "mullet" or as one good friend said: "hey, your hair slid off the top of your head". :>( Not a good look. Buen camino.

Same here, i had my hair cut short-ish before departure and trimmed my beard well down. A few weeks in, i spent a pretty fair amount of money at a barber.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I usually cut rather short right before the journey begins and then I have to live with what I willl look like after 4 to 8 weeks ;-)

However I do shave every couple of days or at least every two weeks or so.

But that makes me wonder, I could reduce pack weight by leaving all I need for shaving at home ... could I rely on finding a barber in every major place in Spain? Last time I did not really look.

I usually have my hair cut short before I begin and just allow it to grow out during my journey. And I shave myself with a disposable razor.
funny,but for years,I do not know why, i always thought you were a woman, . ..

How do pilgrims (male) manage their hair and beards while on their Camino? Carry a hair trimmer, razor etc. or use local barbers. I cannot grow a beard and need to keep my hair short for my skin type
Started with very short hai (number 2 on the clippers), shaved every 2-3 days. Hair was still fine after 6 weeks. No one was worried about my hair or face, it’s not a fashion show and as long as the rest of your daily personal hygiene and daily clothes washing is managed you will be fine. My friend grew a beard, starting on day 0 with his last shave.

You are walking 20-30km a day , sometimes in >30C and high humidity. Shirt, socks and underwear daily. Quick hand wash, sometimes shared a washing machine and tumble driers with others where available. All merino wool so dried in 3-4 hours. Took 3 of each in case rain didn’t allow a complete dry before leaving the next morning. Trousers = 2 pairs of synthetic quick dry material, washed every 2-3 days. In my view close quarter communal stays (and making friends) in Albergues do not lend themselves to poor personal hygiene.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shirt, socks and underwear daily. Quick hand wash, sometimes shared a washing machine and tumble driers with others where available. All merino wool so dried in 3-4 hours. Took 3 of each in case rain didn’t allow a complete dry before leaving the next morning. Trousers = 2 pairs of synthetic quick dry material, washed every 2-3 days. In my view close quarter communal stays (and making friends) in Albergues do not lend themselves to poor personal hygiene.
Well, not washing daily does not mean poor personal hygiene. I change and wash clothes on demand and that would usually mean less than daily. Might be different if I walked in the summer heat, which I usually do not do.
But then again I am on wool for all layers but the outermost. This might also make some difference.

Well, not washing daily does not mean poor personal hygiene. I change and wash clothes on demand and that would usually mean less than daily. Might be different if I walked in the summer heat, which I usually do not do.
But then again I am on wool for all layers but the outermost. This might also make some difference.
Yup, merino wool is a great blessing! After years of trying synthetics for camping and hiking I am now a committed merino base layer, walking shirt, underwear etc fan😁

Yup, merino wool is a great blessing! After years of trying synthetics for camping and hiking I am now a committed merino base layer, walking shirt, underwear etc fan😁
To be honest, with synthetic and even with cotton on some of my adventures in the distant past I would have loved to change every 3 hours or so ;-)
I remember Helly Hansen synthetic underwear used to be called Smelly Hansen for a good reason 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you serious???

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are plenty of barbers on the way and you don’t have to book! Just call in and in most cases you can get a trim or worst case have to wait 5 or 10 mins and it doesn’t cost an arm or leg like at home !

Yes, trimmers, razors, shaving soap etc. all weigh and add to my overall bag weight. Asking the question was to find out how others deal with this issue.
OK I get it no offence intended
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I normally wear my hair and beard short. I cut it myself at home using the shortest setting on the clipper. I can manage up to 6 weeks before needing to cut again, though this is probably too long. If I need a comb, I need to cut.

On caminos I use local barbers. I mime the trimmer, making a buzzing noise, and say "todo, zero."

I did this at a barbers shop on the main drag in Hospital d'Orbigo. The barber gathered his hand driven clippers and cut-throat razor and gave me one of the best haircuts ever. A true Maestro!!

Of all perils along any route of caminos: biting dogs, treacherous marking, lacking accomodation and scorching heat - how to manage your male hairdo is somehow an important consideration

I usually cut rather short right before the journey begins and then I have to live with what I willl look like after 4 to 8 weeks ;-)

However I do shave every couple of days or at least every two weeks or so.

But that makes me wonder, I could reduce pack weight by leaving all I need for shaving at home ... could I rely on finding a barber in every major place in Spain? Last time I did not really look.
I have written before in a thread long forgotten about encountering a retired Scottish RN officer who stopped every two or three days to get a straight-razor shave in a barber's shop, and had no trouble. I would find a barber's shop about once a week to get a beard trim, saving me the weight of my beard trimmer, and helping the local economy-- 3-6 euro a time. On the del Norte I kept an eye out for barbers' shops and would spot one every couple of days. Pueblos with railway stations were usually a good bet.

As a PS to this, the officer very much enjoyed his chats with the other old codgers (his words) hanging around the barber shop and made friends. He was several times invited to dinner and once had a meal arranged for him at the next Guardia Civil post.

Last edited:
I useful tip I got from this forum a few years ago was to shave using a blob of hair conditioner and no need to take a bulky can of shaving foam. Now I carry a tiny plastic bottle with me. Weighs next to nothing and works a treat.

I useful tip I got from this forum a few years ago was to shave using a blob of hair conditioner and no need to take a bulky can of shaving foam. Now I carry a tiny plastic bottle with me. Weighs next to nothing and works a treat.
One detergent only for all body needs, including laundry as well. Some 200ml are well enough, even for long Caminos. Additionally a small bottle of pure alcohol, which combined with sunscreen makes a decent aftershave 🤓

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Of all perils along any route of caminos: biting dogs, treacherous marking, lacking accomodation and scorching heat - how to manage your male hairdo is somehow an important consideration
I don’t think there’s been any real consideration about managing the male hairdo while on camino. It seems to me the issue here is about ‘grooming‘ and what is necessary to carry while on camino bearing in mind the extra weight. Even the most basic grooming refreshes a body and enables one to feel better equipped to face the day. If I had to face “biting dogs, treacherous marking, lacking accommodation and scorching heat” plus a myriad of other challenges one might expect on the camino, I know I would want to feel even half-groomed.

On my 1989 Camino, I started it with a beard. On my 2016 Camino, I didn't shave during the Camino and grew a beard during the course of the Camino. Then I made the mistake of getting a personal sello for sharing my contact info with the image you can see as my Forum avatar. So when I brought that on my 2018 Camino I felt I had to shave to match the picture. :) So I brought a light disposable razor and shaved every couple of days. That's what I intend to do this summer.

You are walking 20-30km a day , sometimes in >30C and high humidity. Shirt, socks and underwear daily. Quick hand wash, sometimes shared a washing machine and tumble driers with others where available. All merino wool so dried in 3-4 hours. Took 3 of each in case rain didn’t allow a complete dry before leaving the next morning. Trousers = 2 pairs of synthetic quick dry material, washed every 2-3 days. In my view close quarter communal stays (and making friends) in Albergues do not lend themselves to poor personal hygiene.
I would think that if you took three of each you wouldn't necessarily need to wash daily to avoid walking around in dirty, smelly clothes. I agree with you about the need for daily hygiene but that doesn't necessarily translate to daily laundry, depending on how many changes of clothes you bring. If you bring two changes of clothes, you can launder every other day and still be changing into clean clothes after your shower. At least in my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, trimmers, razors, shaving soap etc. all weigh and add to my overall bag weight. Asking the question was to find out how others deal with this issue.
I'm really glad this question about haircuts was asked. I was considering to ask myself. Since Covid I have cut my own hair and not been to a barber since. I can go about 2 weeks and my hair starts to bug me. I'm really glad to hear its not an issue to find a barber.
Thanks for asking this PAK.

I have a beard that I usually keep very short, so I had room for it to grow. I did go to barbers in Burgos, Astorga and Santiago to get a shave and trim of my beard. Each barber also shaved the back of my neck. The barber in Astorga didn't want to give me a shave because he didn't have a blade, but I said electric was ok. All the barbers spent a lot of time making sure everything was perfect. The price (8-9 euros) was a steal compared to time and cost of a haircut at home.

We walked always in the fall and as the days grew shorter, my husband's beard grew longer. We both got fabulous haircuts and beard trim in Santiago along with a new outfit or two. Great reward!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.