• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Men's pants recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 99816

My recommendation for pants is to have four zip or velcro pockets. This will prevent your stuff from falling out when you sit down, which happened to me on several occasions.. It will also deter pickpockets if any exist on the Camino. One pocket for the phone, one for wallet, one for pocket change and one for misc like reading glasses, mask, heart pills.

Imagine you drop your pack and go into a bar, or hotel.. You want to avoid having to go back to your pack to get something. Those somethings are what you want in your pockets. I saw no need for cargo pants, 4 pockets is enough.

Although I started with three pair of shorts, I ended up with just one. That and a pair of trousers, which in late June were needed in the morning and the evening. I found these two pairs sufficient to go 4-5 days without washing. YMMD!

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My recommendation for pants is to have four zip or velcro pockets. This will prevent your stuff from falling out when you sit down, which happened to me on several occasions.. It will also deter pickpockets if any exist on the Camino. One pocket for the phone, one for wallet, one for pocket change and one for misc like reading glasses, mask, heart pills.

Imagine you drop your pack and go into a bar, or hotel.. You want to avoid having to go back to your pack to get something. Those somethings are what you want in your pockets. I saw no need for cargo pants, 4 pockets is enough.

Although I started with three pair of shorts, I ended up with just one. That and a pair of trousers, which in late June were needed in the morning and the evening. I found these two pairs sufficient to go 4-5 days without washing. YMMD!
MMDD

English brand Craghoppers maybe? Kiwi trousers have 4 pockets and some nice features but certainly no cargopants!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
English brand Craghoppers maybe?
I am a fan of Craghoppers or the cheaper knock-off versions sold by GoOutdoors or Sports Direct. I started buying trousers with zip pockets specially for my long distance walking but they are my everyday wear now. And the boots I wear on Caminos are also my default footwear. So when I do begin a long distance walk I am not doing so in unfamiliar or untested gear.

I am a fan of Craghoppers or the cheaper knock-off versions sold by GoOutdoors or Sports Direct. I started buying trousers with zip pockets specially for my long distance walking but they are my everyday wear now. And the boots I wear on Caminos are also my default footwear. So when I do begin a long distance walk I am not doing so in unfamiliar or untested gear.
Likewise I pretty much live my life in Rohan shorts or trousers and lightweight leather boots. The only difference between daily life and Camino life is presence of rucksack and absence of dog.

I agree with the the recommendation to have zip pockets, although my preferred summer trousers are a five pocket cargo style design, the Mont Adventure Light pants. These are made locally, and they have been my go-to summer trousers for years, and I have a pair of the Mont Adventure shorts as well. This means that I don't have to change my approach to what I carry if I decide to wear shorts rather than trousers.

I normally carry a guidebook in one cargo pocket, and miscellaneous items like my sunglasses, mask and lollies in the other. I stopped using my rear pocket for my wallet many years ago, and carry a small packet of antiseptic wipes in my rear pocket instead. I put a handkerchief in each side pocket, one I use for blowing my nose when I need to, and the other for cleaning my glasses. Any medications I need during the morning goes into one of the side pockets, along with any coins that I get in change.

I used these on my first pilgrimage walk in Norway, but more recently wore the Norrøna falketind flex, which I wear here as my winter walking trousers. These are a bit too warm to consider for a summer camino in Spain or Portugal, but are a great choice for colder climates, and would probably use these if I did a winter Camino.

On this subject, I find shirt selection just as important, as both trousers and shirt need to provide a complete solution. I have settled over the years to a choice of Ex Officio or Mont shirts for my pilgrimage walks, although I have a collection from several makers that I use when walking locally. For pilgrimage walks, the shirts I use have a 'hidden' zippered pocket where I keep my passport in a ziploc bag, as well as two chest pockets. Both have vents, either at the back or sides, and they both have a collar extension that can be flipped up to provide additional sun protection to the back of my neck.

EDIT: the Mont Adventure Light pants have three zippered pockets, the two cargo pockets and the rear pocket. The Norrøna falketind pants pockets are all zippered.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, pants for men are recommended for the Camino and in life.

Yes too, to shirts, also a good idea.

What is not a good idea is to wear the custom made Italian blue linen shirts the love of your life splurged on (as seen in our profile pic). Though Scott found the collar useful to stop sunburn, no one wants to be a red neck.

I agree with the the recommendation to have zip pockets, although my preferred summer trousers are a five pocket cargo style design, the Mont Adventure Light pants. These are made locally, and they have been my go-to summer trousers for years, and I have a pair of the Mont Adventure shorts as well. This means that I don't have to change my approach to what I carry if I decide to wear shorts rather than trousers.

I normally carry a guidebook in one cargo pocket, and miscellaneous items like my sunglasses, mask and lollies in the other. I stopped using my rear pocket for my wallet many years ago, and carry a small packet of antiseptic wipes in my rear pocket instead. I put a handkerchief in each side pocket, one I use for blowing my nose when I need to, and the other for cleaning my glasses. Any medications I need during the morning goes into one of the side pockets, along with any coins that I get in change.

I used these on my first pilgrimage walk in Norway, but more recently wore the Norrøna falketind flex, which I wear here as my winter walking trousers. These are a bit too warm to consider for a summer camino in Spain or Portugal, but are a great choice for colder climates, and would probably use these if I did a winter Camino.

On this subject, I find shirt selection just as important, as both trousers and shirt need to provide a complete solution. I have settled over the years to a choice of Ex Officio or Mont shirts for my pilgrimage walks, although I have a collection from several makers that I use when walking locally. For pilgrimage walks, the shirts I use have a 'hidden' zippered pocket where I keep my passport in a ziploc bag, as well as two chest pockets. Both have vents, either at the back or sides, and they both have a collar extension that can be flipped up to provide additional sun protection to the back of my neck.
I have to look into the Mont Adventure for my husband. He likes the Clothing Arts (pick pocket proof?) pants, buy I like the way these look for off trail. He likes the Clothing Arts because the four pockets are zipped and buttoned, and there are also interior zipped pockets. There are also two outside pockets with buttons and snaps. The Mont Adventure looks like it has a little bit of elastic in the waist that he may like. Thanks.

Sorry but not Craghopper Kiwis. They are made of plastic and rustle as you walk. You wont notice at first but as the miles go by the sound gets louder and louder until your whole day is filled with the sound of your trousers rustling.:eek:
Ok slight exaggeration but I can thoroughly recommend Maier Sport double zip off trouser. Lightweight material, dries quickly and lots of pockets.
They are a bit spendy so at the cheaper end of the market Peter Storm or anything that does not rustle.o_O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best way to deter pickpockets is to wear a money belt under your clothes to hold passport, money supply and credit card!

Keep an expendable wallet in your pocket with one day supply of cash for easy access and to limit the amount of theft.

-Paul

The clothes I wear on the Camino, except for my down jacket and a layer top I only wear on the Camino.I know many here are lucky enough to afford expensive gear and I do not begrudge them at all. I know for a fact that if you just dig around the internet one can find excellent pants, layers, socks etc for a fraction of the prices that are mentioned here and on other threads. Even though I live in Mexico I buy much of my gear from the REI outlet and some just looking around other sites for closeouts. I have them shipped to one of my daughters in the states and pick it up when I visit. I have bought very high quality gear for a great deal less money than their original cost. As an example I finally bought a new backpack. My other one died after 6 caminos and numerous other usages. I paid half of the original price of the REI pack I bought and my light down jacket which has always kept me warm even in December was 60% less in the REI outlet. Especially from REI if something is damaged or does not fit properly it can be returned for a full refund. In fact I am lucky enough to say that everything I bought at REI and other outlets I never had to return. I still wear some of the things I bought 6 caminos ago. I had to buy some new things when I switched from early fall caminos to late fall early winter caminos.

Fjallraven midsummer and Houdini, can't remember the name of the Houdini, many zipper pockets, only S/M/L sizing. They dry quick when wet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry but not Craghopper Kiwis. They are made of plastic and rustle as you walk.
Well, they do contain polyester - but so does virtually all outdoor clothing these days. They're a poly/cotton mix, (65/35) light and comfortable, treated to provide UPF40+ sun protection - and dry very quickly if you get caught in a shower. As I can personally testify. They have 9 pockets (5 zipped) - including phone and map pockets. And, most importantly for the mature peregrino, a "relaxed fit." I've never noticed mine rustling.

I perhaps could have added that what I wear is always bought at sales, never at full price.
You would make my wife proud Doug being a great bargain shopper. My wife loves to come home with 10 things I can't believe she bought and then she proudly tells me how much money she saved buying her 25th sweater on sale!!!! Buen Camino my friend.

You would make my wife proud Doug being a great bargain shopper. My wife loves to come home with 10 things I can't believe she bought and then she proudly tells me how much money she saved buying her 25th sweater on sale!!!! Buen Camino my friend.
Reminded of the old joke about the man who just missed his bus and ran all the way home behind it. He told his wife how much money he'd just saved. She told him he was an idiot and would have saved 10 times as much if he'd run behind a taxi instead.... :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like my pants made by Kuhl. They have a great selection, and their convertible pants are good for those who want to kill two birds with one stone.
Their products are rather pricey, though. Good quality, but pricey.

Checkout Kuhl.com
Renegade™ Pant

Last edited:
Reactions: RJM
My recommendation for pants is to have four zip or velcro pockets

My partner's finds these from Mark's and Spencers very comfortable for long distance walking.

I fear the Tower of Babel syndrome has descended.

@puttster writes "pants" with four pockets - I suspect he really means either shorts or trousers

@Sarah Jane Taylor posts an image of her understanding of "pants". I concur with her understanding and was immediately highly amused by the conundrum she posed - how to get four pockets with closures into her partner's pants.

All I can say is kia kaha, kia maia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) and get going when you can.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Zippered pockets (at least one) on either pants or shorts really do help secure a wallet or other valuable such as a phone. It does make it that much more difficult to be removed by a thief, or in just preventing it from falling out accidentally.

I continue to be confused by the suggestions above to wear trousers when walking on camino.

True, you can arrange for as many pockets as your seamstress can manage.

On the other hand, in my humble view ("and I be ever so humble"), trousers create more problems than they might solve.

When it rains the lower section gets wet. Removing wet trousers means taking off shoes - so many impracticalitie to list.

Moving forward, I suggest:

Consider an active kilt. The off the hanger version I wear has 2 pockets. These are attached on the top edge. As a consequence, when I sit down the pockets stay more or less vertical.

Arrange connections on your shoulder straps to suspend a suitably sized packing cube across your chest. In my version I keep my 11" tablet/phone, pilgrims passport, shoulder strap and gloves. When I leave my pack I attach the shoulder strap and away I go.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Good advice.
For my 4 trips I’ve found 2 pairs of lightweight zip off pants works for me. I wash each one daily and even in the colder months they dry quickly. Same with shirts, long sleeve with light layers underneath And a Fanny pack for my phone, wallet, cash and passport, credential.

I am personally a fan of jogging tights with soccer (football) shorts over them. Warm enough, cool enough and super light weight with sun and bug protection. But that is just me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just FYI - the "F-word" can be offensive in some countries. I have learned to use waist pack instead, as the Camino and this forum are multicultural.
Speaking as a Brit I think that most of us are so heavily exposed to American English vocabulary through tv, films and books that we are unlikely to be offended by such differences in usage. Though we might well be immature enough to snigger a little. :) It will probably take longer for us to get used to the idea of "Randy" as an appropriate first name though...

Just FYI - the "F-word" can be offensive in some countries. I have learned to use waist pack instead, as the Camino and this forum are multicultural.
We have always heard Americans use the word fanny pack, sure it has different connotations in some places but in this day and age we need to get past that.
Now back to the topic of the OP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, pants is another of those words that can be exploited for dramatic or comic effect depending upon which side of the Atlantic one is from, or perhaps even which side of the Tasman!
I grew up calling them pants. My dad, a career military man called them trousers. Later I joined the military and they were still referred to as trousers, and to my surprise our camouflage utility shirts were called "blouses".

Zip off bottoms and water resistant... 15 days of walking Portugues between Porto and SdC used bottoms once but glad I had them... Only needed 2 pair of shorts and these 2 pair of zip offs for my 2 month stay in Europe

I have to look into the Mont Adventure for my husband. He likes the Clothing Arts (pick pocket proof?) pants, buy I like the way these look for off trail. He likes the Clothing Arts because the four pockets are zipped and buttoned, and there are also interior zipped pockets. There are also two outside pockets with buttons and snaps. The Mont Adventure looks like it has a little bit of elastic in the waist that he may like. Thanks.
I was checking out the pants from this website and found this:
They are 126US dollars.
I agree whole hardly with puttster's recommendation. I found a pair of zip offs a about 4 years ago in Costco. Bought another pair this year. I live in Mexico where prices for the same things are always a little higher. Both pairs have 3 zip pockets. 2 in the back and 1 on the side. Both have very deep front pockets. I walk later in the year and they are thicker than the summer versions but it is fine as it is cooler. Way baggy enough if I need to wear a base underneath. I paid about $25 for the first pair and $27 earlier this year for the other pair. Granted in the summer they are too warm. I still have a couple of pairs from other closeout websites that I wore that were very cool and light and had 3 zippers and two front pockets. All have lasted a long time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like many here, I found the light weight zip-off hiking pants (from Costco) excellent for the Camino. I took two pairs but really only wore one pair as I wore my running shorts after the walk each day as the pants/shorts were washed and drying. At the end of the CF, I noticed the lets of the leg portion were diff color from the upper. The legs were original color while the shorts were bleached lighter from the sun and washing!

Those side cargo pockets were excellent for the guide book on left side, and a small refilled water bottle on the other side (did not have to fill up the water bladder in the pack to 50%). At first I noticed the book and water bottle banging against the legs but after a couple of hours I was noticing the landscape and not the book or water bottle.

Next Camino will only take one pants and my running shorts to lighten up.

I grew up calling them pants. My dad, a career military man called them trousers. Later I joined the military and they were still referred to as trousers, and to my surprise our camouflage utility shirts were called "blouses".

So, you're a Marine. Semper Fi.

Reactions: RJM
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.