• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Men's Underwear & Anatomy

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Not sure this is a tip that I have seen before........

But on my 1st Camino a friend had terrible chaffing issues at the top of his thighs. He was wearing briefs (Y Fronts)

In training I had taken to wearing tight fitting synthetic boxers from Under Armour. I never had an issue. My logic being the short leg sections would avoid chafing. And it did.

I was recently reminded of it on a trip to Bangkok where I was wearing briefs.....and in the heat suffered chafing. Had to pop into a store to get some under armour shorts style and problem gone.

I don't think it's anything to do with men's anatomy though. Just chafing on the upper thigh area.

I use these.

https://www.underarmour.com.au/en-a...oxerjock/1316074.html?dwvar_1316074_color=001

I carry some 3" inseam and some 6".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use men’s trunks for under my hiking skirt. Bought it at aldi for $5. Works great

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

But on my 1st Camino a friend had terrible chaffing issues at the top of his thighs. He was wearing briefs (Y Fronts)

In training I had taken to wearing tight fitting synthetic boxers from Under Armour. I never had an issue. My logic being the short leg sections would avoid chafing. And it did.

I was recently reminded of it on a trip to Bangkok where I was wearing briefs.....and in the heat suffered chafing. Had to pop into a store to get some under armour shorts style and problem gone.

I don't think it's anything to do with men's anatomy though. Just chafing on the upper thigh area.

I use these.

https://www.underarmour.com.au/en-au/mens-ua-microthread-natural-6”-boxerjock/1316074.html?dwvar_1316074_color=001

Same problem here but solved partly your way and also using talcum powder. No issues since then.

I use these.

https://www.underarmour.com.au/en-au/mens-ua-microthread-natural-6”-boxerjock/1316074.html?dwvar_1316074_color=001

I had the same problem on my first camino, horrible chaffing, found a pair of long bike short style underwear and the problem went away. Now any time I know I'm going to walk for more than an hour I have my longer underwear on. Won't be without them on camino every again.

Love my under armour mani-panies. They don't make women's boxer briefs that long or comfortable. I buy the ones without the opening and wear them under my hiking skirt. They look like biking shorts, so I have been know to shed the skirt and take a swim in them. So they are good for women too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The tech type synthetic briefs (Under Armour, Nike, Adidas etc), that are longer, almost knee length (helps keep them from riding up). Preferably the ones with the gusseted crotch and no fly.
I also prefer them in the darker colours such as black, dark gray or blue. Shows the dirt less.

Last edited:
There are also products like Body Glide which are effective and long lasting and easy to wash off. If compression style undershorts don't work as well as you like, there are lightweight baselayer bottoms which are more breathable than underwear and will do a fabulous job of chafing protection and will keep the boys cool, even in warm weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While on the Aldi train, just a reminder that that camping gear is on tomorrow.

I will be lining up at 8.30 am for Merino T Shirts and packing cubes that were brilliant when we walked last year.

In training I had taken to wearing tight fitting synthetic boxers from Under Armour.
I also wear under armour boxer briefs. I have found them to be excellent. I also use body glide to stop chaffing between my butt cheeks.

I also wear under armour boxer briefs. I have found them to be excellent. I also use body glide to stop chaffing between my butt cheeks.

A potential new advertising campaign here!

For a Thousand Years. Under Armour........the underwear of choice for Pilgrims.... since the days of the Knights Templar .....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

For a Thousand Years. Under Armour........the underwear of choice for Pilgrims.... since the days of the Knights Templar .....

For a Thousand Years. Under Armour........the underwear of choice for Pilgrims.... since the days of the Knights Templar

You organise it and I'm there!

Chafing of the upper thighs due to using briefs, is a lesson qiute a few Danish army recruits have learned the hard way. In my platoon we had a guy who thought the army underwear was un-stylish, and who wore his own briefs on a march. Bad decision :eek: It is also a known problem for people with above average BMI.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use ExOfficio boxers, the looser style. Never had a chafing problem, no matter where I travel or regardless of weather conditions.

The 'snug-to-the leg' boxer style look like sausage skins on me...I am rather stout... I too have been known to use the black boxers as swim trunks. The front fly stays closed. They can also be worn around an albergue with a shirt over if need be.

Just sayin...

Chafing of the upper thighs due to using briefs, is a lesson qiute a few Danish army recruits have learned the hard way. In my platoon we had a guy who thought the army underwear was un-stylish, and who wore his own briefs on a march. Bad decision :eek: It is also a known problem for people with above average BMI.
Henrik?

I started using longer boxer-style underpants after three very long, hot days on the Le Puy route when I arrived in Condom (of all places) with painful chafing and had to find a pharmacy. Just to compound it, the young female (had to be!) pharmacist spoke very little English (go on, you try explaining it in French) but managed to understand my mixture of schoolboy French and (mostly) mime. Probably dealt with it many times. She sold me an excellent ointment which I've still got.

I would recommend Icebreaker boxer shorts. I've worn them for a number of long distance hikes and never had problems with chafing. As they are made of merino wool they are good at wicking away sweat, are odourless and dry very quickly when washed.

Love my under armour mani-panies. They don't make women's boxer briefs that long or comfortable. I buy the ones without the opening and wear them under my hiking skirt. They look like biking shorts, so I have been know to shed the skirt and take a swim in them. So they are good for women too.

Do you have a link to this?
I think it sounds wonderfully! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
baby nappy rash cream, SUDOCREM (or similar) works very well

Love my under armour mani-panies. .........

mani-panies,,,,,,,,!!!!!!

That just has to be one of the funniest references I have ever seen on this forum.:)

As soon as I clean my spluttered coffee off my screen, keyboard and dog, I'll carry on reading the thread.

Susan Peacock,:p:D:p

Interesting topic

I just buy Rio Hipster briefs such as there;
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/rio-men-s-hipster-briefs-7-pack-multi/p/831899-assorted6/

I buy one size larger than normal. Walked the Francis, Portugeuse and Finnistere Caminos in them. Comfortable, quick drying and importantly, very light weight. Cheap too!

Luckily, chafing issues haven't occurred during my Caminos but a little talc powder on the inner thighs helps to prevent leg chafing.

At night, I wear a loose pair of silk boxer short trousers - no underwear - to help the skin repair

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I use these.

Know your problem...

I wear Tradie trunks (thanks CZ for pointing out the error of my ways) , 3/4 length, Fabric not an issue - have worn two or three styles without any problems (and I used to suffer from chaffing after getting a sweat up). Available from Big W and sundry other retailers in Oz.

No chaffing over the full CF 2017.

And they double as (lower) night wear in Albergues - a whole lot more modest that cycling lycra gear!

Last edited:
There's a big difference between Boxers and Trunks , certainly trunks are more supportive whereas boxers allow the ' Gentlemen's area ' to hang free .
I wear superfine Merino trunks , soft , comfortable and they won't smell like the Public toilets at Hyde Park after a rock concert :)

mani-panies,,,,,,,,!!!!!!

That just has to be one of the funniest references I have ever seen on this forum.:)

As soon as I clean my spluttered coffee off my screen, keyboard and dog, I'll carry on reading the thread.

Susan Peacock,:p:D:p

Well then, my Camino vocabulary will just keep you laughing. I recently told a friend to be sure and buy some "toe condoms" (those toe sleeves available in the farmacia." Little did I know that she would run off to REI and ask where the toe condoms were. I have an entire Camino vocabulary and sometimes I forget that's not the actual name. :)

There's a big difference between Boxers and Trunks , certainly trunks are more supportive whereas boxers allow the ' Gentlemen's area ' to hang free .
I wear superfine Merino trunks , soft , comfortable and they won't smell like the Public toilets at Hyde Park after a rock concert :)
You're right Charles, my Icebreakers were actually trunks

I highly recommend UniQlo AIRism boxer briefs. They cost a fraction of the hi tech ones, dry in 10 minutes flat after hand washing, and super comfortable (I've worn them for hundreds of km now).

I used running shorts instead of underwear. No chafing problems, and also I felt comfortable in them walking around the albergue after my shower.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like my TomboyX- they are cotton and spandex so they do take longer to dry, but they are made by women for women and come in different lengths.

I use these.

Don’t wear any. Air circulating problem solved

I thought I'd google the armour mani-panes to see and we'll if I was a sensitive easily shocked person I'd be writing to Mary Whitehouse. It was utter filth.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use ExOfficio boxers, the looser style. Never had a chafing problem, no matter where I travel or regardless of weather conditions.

The 'snug-to-the leg' boxer style look like sausage skins on me...I am rather stout... I too have been known to use the black boxers as swim trunks. The front fly stays closed. They can also be worn around an albergue with a shirt over if need be.

Just sayin...
I agree Exofficio boxers are the best ,you feel that you are not wearing anything and dry in less than half an hour under the sun.

Got this on the last Camino through wearing quickly bought shorts from Decathlon. The inside left leg seam was folded over and the sore hurt like razor cuts.

Longer legged trunks worn inside out so their seems were away from the skin plus zinc oxide for the nappy rash.

Bliss.

Don’t wear any. Air circulating problem solved
That actually does work. Never wore any under my trousers when in the army and in the field in hot/humid environments. Never chafed or had heat rashes, jock itch etc. When I could get away with it I would go without undershirt, too.
I'm just older now, and more modest when on the Camino.

Do you have a link to this?
I think it sounds wonderfully! :)
Just go to the underarmour website. They are called men's heatgear compression shorts. I am assuming that it what she is referring to. They are good shorts.

I am happy to hear that I am not the only lady who has resorted to this solution. Just like Susan Peacock and Meandlan, I wear a boker brief (mine are Under Armour mens) under a skirt. I am very tall, and can't seem to find a pair of hiking shorts that are high enough in the rise to be comfortable. And yes, I am vain and they all look awful on me. Skorts were suggested but again, too low in the rise. This has been the perfect solution. On our first Camino we saw a young woman walking in the August heat wearing a pair of denim bootie shorts. My husband and I looked at each other and said "Chafing!" Don't know how she could stand it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am happy to hear that I am not the only lady who has resorted to this solution. Just like Susan Peacock and Meandlan, I wear a boxer brief (mine are Under Armour mens) under a skirt.

My wife picked up some Under Armour boxer briefs yesterday. They have ladies versions now ;);)

That actually does work. Never wore any under my trousers when in the army and in the field in hot/humid environments. Never chafed or had heat rashes, jock itch etc. When I could get away with it I would go without undershirt, too.
I'm just older now, and more modest when on the Camino.

Air circulation is one of the joys of hiking in a light weight kilt of man made made material. Quick drying, lots of air circulation and no binding of pant legs anywhere on the thighs. For the question in many minds...I do wear briefs to keep everything necessary in place and there is no chafing. I use a product called "Body Glide" for potential problem areas. I am a prodigious producer of perspiration and use the product across both nipples to avoid t shirt rub which can get sensitive.

By the way, the kilt is very effective as a quick wrap around for trips to the washroom and other areas where modesty is required.

Never thought to admit it on a public forum but I am now a big fan of leggings. Long for cold days, above the knee on hot days with a light pair of running shorts on top. No more chafing.

I use these.

I suffer from the same problem, sometimes. The Norte will be looking after me in June this year so I am looking for even more comfort.
I saw some underwear advertised, supposedly developed by a military guy in Iraq, that (how do I describe this delicately) are like cycling shorts but have a pocket out in front that our tackle is slotted into. This way there is no skin on skin contact in this area.
Has anyone tried these?

Leggings are always effective on those cold early mornings

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
suffer from the same problem, sometimes. The Norte will be looking after me in June this year so I am looking for even more comfort.
I saw some underwear advertised, supposedly developed by a military guy in Iraq, that (how do I describe this delicately) are like cycling shorts but have a pocket out in front that our tackle is slotted into. This way there is no skin on skin contact in this area.
Has anyone tried these?

I highly recommend UniQlo AIRism boxer briefs. They cost a fraction of the hi tech ones, dry in 10 minutes flat after hand washing, and super comfortable (I've worn them for hundreds of km now).

Yes, on my two Caminos I wore Airism and they were great. Will use them again this year on the Primitivo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Icebreaker marino wool trunks - moisture-wicking, quick drying and classy to boot!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.