• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Menu Translations

AML

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept 2013
Norte/Primitivo May/June 2014
Vasco del Interior/ Burgos - Leon/Del Salvador/Primitivo May/June 2015
Ourense - Santiago Sept 2015
Camino Ingles Sept 2015
Porto-SDC Sept/Oct 2016
Hi All,

I would like to ask if the restaurant/bar menus have any English translation on Camino Frances? I am trying to learn a little Spanish but I feel that I would struggle with the menus! :)
As my first Camino draws nearer all these concerns are coming to light! Or is there anywhere I could get a list of possible dishes with English translation.
Thanks
Aidan :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Restaurants, cafe/bars, and eateries which offer pilgrim menus do not usually possess a Michelin star-the offerings are not that difficult to understand and are to found usually all along the route. Typically, you will be given a first course offering of salada mix(s)ta usually presented with hard boiled eggs and asparagus from a jar, or a vegetable soup which is chock full of meat or maybe judias verde a dish of green beans cooked with salt pork, lentils as a very thick soup or stew; a second course selection from lomo - purportedly pork but usually quite tasteless, or bacala that is salt dried cod less said the better if not professionally prepared, maybe pasta, or beef stew or meat balls. Now should you want to splurge in a real restaurant they usually have an English menu. Remember Douglas Adams "Don't Panic". Some of my best remembered conversations, some of the most interesting evenings I spent, and some of my best friendships were cemented while attempting to understand menus over dinner, exchanging less then successful choices, or bemoaning the expected dessert of industrial flan or ice cream. Every area you will pass through has its own specialties Basque tapas are great but quickly expensive, Navarra, Rioja, Burgos, Leon, the Meseta, Galician, all gooo be brave and order something even if you are not 100% certain what it may be. Pulpo? Octopus?? Not a personal favorite, despite the reputation "Ezekiel" in Melide is not the best place offering the dish if you are feeling brave try the pub in O'Cebreiro-most places will allow you a half order "media" if you are not sure try the smaller helping.

bemoaning the expected dessert of industrial flan or ice cream

I agree puddings in Spain are usually an afterthought - but to avoid confusion flan is crème caramel not an open pastry or sponge case containing a sweet or savoury filling which is what flan means in most of the UK.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Menus are a bit of a nightmare for me too, and I speak reasonable Spanish. The worst thing is when the waiter just verbally lists the options rather than giving you a written menu. However on the positive side, whatever you order is likely to be good.

Here are a couple of web pages where you can get the basics - soup, pork, seafood etc.
http://gospain.about.com/od/fooddrink/q ... slatio.htm
http://www.iberianature.com/spainblog/a ... sh-food-a/

A sense of dietary adventure will serve you well! :D Buen Camino!

As soon as I could, I learned the word for tripe, so I could avoid it. Otherwise, I worked from a few recognizable words (pollo etc) and a sense of adventure. I had very few bad meals and discovered a taste for things I would have not touched otherwise (morcilla, which sounds much prettier and daintier than blood sausage). The word casero was helpful (home-made) but otherwise I would pay an extra euro supplement for the cheese, rather than the pre-packaged desserts. Whenever I could, I went for the menu de dia rather than the menu de peregrino and, about once a week, went a la carta when I needed the psychological assist.

Remember on the Camino and so often in life when all else fails the common 'language' is pantomime. Generally you don't enter a bar/restaurant except to use the loo, get directions, have a drink, or eat a meal; hence there is no absolute need for a large vocabulary. Smiles and the basic words hola, por favor, cuanto and gracias will take you far. Also learn to point!!

Many years ago walking west from Leon on the CF in pouring rain at Villadangos del Páramo I staggered dripping and exhausted into a truck stop. What a way to make an impact! The place was packed with about 80 VERY macho men whose lorries were parked in front. All seemed to be eating the menu del dia or special daily menu. When the flustered young waiter rattled off the main course choices l pointed towards the nearest customer's plate, nodded and said por favor. The food was copious, hot and delicious. At dessert time half the room seemed curious about what I would choose. I pointed to rice pudding, but fruit and chocolate cake also appeared on my table por la fuerza en el camino. As the truck drivers left for their coffee served at the bar most waved and wished Buen Camino....All these years later when necessary I still point.

Margaret Meredith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pilgrim menu usually offers agua or vino to drink.

The vino tinto was always a good choice.

What a nice story, Margareth!

I like to cook in the albergue kitchen, but also go for the menu del dia when lazy.

Once, in Finisterre, sitting in the patio of my hostel, the senora boss came out with a plate of pulpo stew (squid), real homemade, and started eating. I must have given the impression of hunger, because she suddenly stopped eating, went inside and came back with another plate with LOTS of pulpo sted and gave me. Huge portion! It was delicious! I ate it all. Afterwards, I asked the price, but she wawed me away with a grin. I went in and put 10 Euro on the reception. The rest of my stay, I was the king of the hostel! :lol:

But pointing and animal noises will bring you a long way... :lol:

I am on camino Frances at present. Pilgrims menus are quite good. We went to a cafe one evening and it was a pantomime as they had no English and we had no Spanish. We got other locals to translate as best they cud. Put us off so now it's pilgrims menus and pointing at pictures.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh dear, menus are about the only thing I don't have problems with, in ANY language.
It was tho' a bit of a shock after recently having stopped being vegetarian - to order what I thought was a seafood stew - and a dish came with cows tongue, cheek and what looked suspiciously like a bulls private parts sticking out of it! I did my best...
You get the same or similar in most cheap Spanish bars/restaurants so you soon learn what's what.
Part of the fun is ordering something you aren't sure about - and seeing if you can work out what it was after you ate it! After walking/cycling all day most of us will wolf down anything...

Q!

Falcon you are so correct however on the Camino Portuguese you are absolutely correct nothing but pork. Two years ago on the Le Puy Camino pork was the choice for demi-pension though on special days far more expensive duck was occasionally offered. All the farmers said hey pigs are a lot of work why not throw a couple of ducks into the water and next Spring we can make a bundle. Every farmer from Le Puy to Moissac had a pondful of ducks, every evening comfit prepared in this way or that was offered. I wanted to quack! I don't suppose they ever heard of capitalism or Karl Marx few pigs means very expensive, millions of ducks mean duck sausage duck stew duck fricassee braised duck duck in pastry duck without pastry duck in sauce duck without sauce duck pate goodness gracious!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One thing to know, too, is that toward the end of the lunch hour restaurants might run out of things that are listed on their menu, whether the regular menu or the menu del día. So if you order something and they say, "No me queda _______ (whatever the food is)" know that it means they've run out. So it's always good to have a backup in your mind so you can quickly order something else.

I also echo other suggestions here that say to pick a few favorites and know how to spot them on the menu.

Buen Camino!!

As I worry about my meager Spanish (un poco) and eating on my upcoming Camino, I am comforted to know I can always ask for "Jamon con queso bocadillo". My niece suggests that if that is all I eat, I will not need the phrase "Donde esta el bano, por favor?"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aidan, attached is a list of the basic Camino vocabulary I give to my walking pilgrim clients. I am currently working on what you requested...how soon do you go to the Camino?

Nancy

Attachments

• Spanish Vocabulary for the Camino.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 115
If you have specific allergies, consider having a card made up and laminated which explains your allergy in English and Spanish - that way there is no confusion. Otherwise if you accidentally get something you don't like, no biggie, but you will avoid getting things you are actually allergic to.

nreyn12 said:
Aidan, attached is a list of the basic Camino vocabulary I give to my walking pilgrim clients. I am currently working on what you requested...how soon do you go to the Camino?

Nancy

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for your reply, this info is really useful to me. I don't go to the Camino until Sept 18, so plenty of time to learn some names of Spanish dishes. :)
Thanks again, Aidan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Aidan,

Have a look at the diners and their plates mate :D
If they look good , smell good and the people are enjoying request same.

I won't tell you the best dish i got in Portugal and nearly died when i found out what part of the chicken made it successful :D

Aiden , you will have spuds and cabbage soup,
Best camino mate ,
david

You very quickly learn what the menu items are as they repeat themselves over the course of the Camino. I got tired of bocadillos about a week in. I would guess out of 35 days doing the Camino, we had pretty good to excellent pilgrim menus about 8 times. Get used to French fries. Get used to the meat choice often being fried. Salads varied from iceberg lettuce with a few chucks of tomato to a lovely mix of greens, tuna, carrots, beets and corn. If I were to do it again, I would probably eat more menu del dia instead of pilgrims menu, or cook more myself. I found the diet really hard to get used to, as I am accustomed to little meat and lots of fruit and veggies.

Thanks guys.....spuds and cabbage soup sounds great :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back