Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Merida to Santiago

Richard Bourke

Past OR future Camino
Camino da costa
Camini primitivo
Hi

I am hoping to continue Via de la Plata this year.I finished in Merida last year so looking to start from there on the 2nd July.I have a flight booked out of Santiago on the 23rd July so will be there either way.I am hoping to walk it all the way in that time.Is this realistic.I realise it is very hot on July as was there last year in August.Looking at some of the stages I have seen it looks to be about 700kms which is just over 30km a day which I feel I can do.Any thoughts on this please let me know.Thanks in advance

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi @Richard Bourke,

Many will caution you not to do it, that it will be too hot and that you are being over zealous hoping to average at least 30 km per day. You were there last August so you have a good idea how it is to walk in the scorching heat and what works for you.

What I can say is that it's doable. I've done the Plata twice in mid to late July (Sevilla-Zamora and Zamora-SdC) and Sevilla-Merida in late June. All three times I averaged about 33 km a day. Some stages were were shorter but others were over 40 km. And no, I am not young (I was 55 when I first walked the Plata and 60 the last time). But...I never had the pressure of reaching Santiago by a certain date and usually have time to walk out to Finisterre or Muxía.

So make a tentative plans to reach Santiago but be flexible enough to adjust should your body tell you so.

Happy planning!

musicman

Ensuitepilgrim
Past OR future Camino
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
I did it in stages, too. But in three!
But bearing in mind searing heat - not feasible - Ourense at best.
Read about it on my blog.

Ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com

Archive April 2015 & scroll down to start .

Buen Camino

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Hi @Richard Bourke,Many will caution you not to do it, that it will be too hot and that you are being over zealous hoping to average at least 30 km per day. You were there last August so you have a good idea how it is to walk in the scorching heat and what works for you.

I agree with @LTfit . Only you will be able to judge how well you personally cope with heat and distance. It sounds as if you have the experience to do that pretty well. Most people walk shorter distances and would probably avoid the VdlP at that time of year because of the intense heat and long stages. But you are not "most people" if you have already successfully and safely walked from Sevilla to Merida in August. I enjoy long stages and average about 30km per day when walking with a light pack - including during my time on the VdlP last year. The distances you are suggesting would not worry me. But I personally would not choose to walk in the intense heat and light of a summer on the VdlP. That does not mean that you cannot do so though.

Last edited:

Richard Bourke

Past OR future Camino
Camino da costa
Camini primitivo
Hi @Richard Bourke,

Many will caution you not to do it, that it will be too hot and that you are being over zealous hoping to average at least 30 km per day. You were there last August so you have a good idea how it is to walk in the scorching heat and what works for you.

What I can say is that it's doable. I've done the Plata twice in mid to late July (Sevilla-Zamora and Zamora-SdC) and Sevilla-Merida in late June. All three times I averaged about 33 km a day. Some stages were were shorter but others were over 40 km. And no, I am not young (I was 55 when I first walked the Plata and 60 the last time). But...I never had the pressure of reaching Santiago by a certain date and usually have time to walk out to Finisterre or Muxía.

So make a tentative plans to reach Santiago but be flexible enough to adjust should your body tell you so.

Happy planning!
Thanks for the reply. I am happy to get as far as I can so if it takes a bus journey to get to Santiago then so be it

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Richard Bourke

Past OR future Camino
Camino da costa
Camini primitivo
I agree with @LTfit . Only you will be able to judge how well you personally cope with heat and distance. It sounds as if you have the experience to do that pretty well. Most people walk shorter distances and would probably avoid the VdlP at that time of year because of the intense heat and long stages. But you are not "most people" if you have already successfully and safely walked from Sevilla to Merida in August. I enjoy long stages and average about 30km per day when walking with a light pack - including during my time on the VdlP last year. The distances you are suggesting would not worry me. But I personally would not choose to walk in the intense heat and light of a summer on the VdlP. That does not mean that you cannot do so though.
Thanks for update. I think the conditions will dictate how far I go.Assume as I go further north the more bareable it will be

Richard Bourke

Past OR future Camino
Camino da costa
Camini primitivo
I did it in stages, too. But in three!
But bearing in mind searing heat - not feasible - Ourense at best.
Read about it on my blog.

Ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com

Archive April 2015 & scroll down to start .

Buen Camino
Thanks
I will have a look

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg