Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Merino fans > Costco deal

Past OR future Camino
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Caligal

Past OR future Camino
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
Heads up on a great buy!

This pure merino top for ladies is available now at Costco. It’s well made and beautiful and would make a perfect base or mid layer. It’s quite thin, though they call it a sweater. At only US$20 in the store, a bit more online, it’s a super buy. Compared to Smartwool prices, it’s a steal. Lovely colors. I bought two. 😁

Do you have to be a Costco member?

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021
Esperanza, excellent suggestion! My wife and I are currently in Portomarin and arrive in Santiago Thursday. Cindi’s birthday is October 30. We love merino wool and are avid Costco shoppers! I just ordered two merino sweaters / tops and they will arrive before we get back home and will be nice birthday surprises for her. Gracias!!
Bob

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
It sounds like a very good price and wish I could take advantage. Unfortunately for me😕, merino wool and cashmere both make my skin itch, even though they are the softest of all wools.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

kiwicat

Past OR future Camino
Heads up on a great buy!

This pure merino top for ladies is available now at Costco. It’s well made and beautiful and would make a perfect base or mid layer. It’s quite thin, though they call it a sweater. At only US$20 in the store, a bit more online, it’s a super buy. Compared to Smartwool prices, it’s a steal. Lovely colors. I bought two. 😁

Yes Costco has great deals on Merino shirts. Big caveat though. I have bought many of these in the past as have friends and they all seem to attract moths and develop tears! I have many Smartwool tops cared for the same way and no problems with them. These days I fork out and buy the expensive stuff and buy fewer as they last. But Costco's merino hiking socks are unbeatable!

Past OR future Camino
Heads up on a great buy!

I really appreciate your post. As I’m on the Camino now I just placed an order for 2. I can’t pass up on the deal.

auburnfive

Costco brings in long sleeve merino shirts every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
So disappointed that they are no longer carrying merino wool socks, at least in my area.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Costco brings these in every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
So disappointed that they are no longer carrying merino wool socks, at least in my area.
The lightweight crew neck sweaters that they have this year (so far) are not the same as the Seg'ments brand long sleeve T-shirts that they have carried in past years.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Past OR future Camino
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-Apr/May 2019
Costco brings in long sleeve merino shirts every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
I totally agree about the itch factor, though not intolerable, the Costco ones are more itchy for me. I also wait for deals from Icebreaker or smart wool and cough up the price. They last forever and I haven't had any get holes, tough a Buff merino wool headband that's fairly new has several holes already.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Rod Murray

Past OR future Camino
Not even 5 minutes ago, just after my wife got back from our local Costco here in Canada, I asked if they had the Merino tops and long bottoms in stock again and she noted that they were indeed in stock! We each bought a pair of these "long johns" last fall and wore them all winter! They go in our emergency clothing dry bag while on canoe trips in northern Ontario, even in summer, and we wore them on Vancouver Island almost every day a few weeks ago. One of the best deals going at under CAD $20 each piece! Will be getting another pair just in case. And yes, when we do our next Camino, they will be with us.

Kaleo

Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Past OR future Camino
Planned for 2018
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I have heard both good and bad about both Costco and Aldi Merino wool clothing. I cannot wear any wool except socks, but I get the impression from other threads that you kind'a "get what you pay for" and the less you pay, they are more delicate and given to small holes the Merino is...so some say.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads