• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino fans > Costco deal

Esperanza

Time of past OR future Camino
2015, 2019, 2022
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Heads up on a great buy!

This pure merino top for ladies is available now at Costco. It’s well made and beautiful and would make a perfect base or mid layer. It’s quite thin, though they call it a sweater. At only US$20 in the store, a bit more online, it’s a super buy. Compared to Smartwool prices, it’s a steal. Lovely colors. I bought two. 😁

Do you have to be a Costco member?

@Caligal No, but I believe there is a slight surcharge if you aren’t a member. If you know someone who is a member, I believe they allow guest purchases, but not completely sure how that works.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Esperanza, excellent suggestion! My wife and I are currently in Portomarin and arrive in Santiago Thursday. Cindi’s birthday is October 30. We love merino wool and are avid Costco shoppers! I just ordered two merino sweaters / tops and they will arrive before we get back home and will be nice birthday surprises for her. Gracias!!
Bob

Heads up on a great buy!

This pure merino top for ladies is available now at Costco. It’s well made and beautiful and would make a perfect base or mid layer. It’s quite thin, though they call it a sweater. At only US$20 in the store, a bit more online, it’s a super buy. Compared to Smartwool prices, it’s a steal. Lovely colors. I bought two. 😁

Yes Costco has great deals on Merino shirts. Big caveat though. I have bought many of these in the past as have friends and they all seem to attract moths and develop tears! I have many Smartwool tops cared for the same way and no problems with them. These days I fork out and buy the expensive stuff and buy fewer as they last. But Costco's merino hiking socks are unbeatable!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heads up on a great buy!

I really appreciate your post. As I’m on the Camino now I just placed an order for 2. I can’t pass up on the deal.

Costco brings in long sleeve merino shirts every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
So disappointed that they are no longer carrying merino wool socks, at least in my area.

Last edited:
Costco brings these in every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
So disappointed that they are no longer carrying merino wool socks, at least in my area.
The lightweight crew neck sweaters that they have this year (so far) are not the same as the Seg'ments brand long sleeve T-shirts that they have carried in past years.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not seen this exact item or this brand at Costco before. I might have missed them previously, but I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Costco brings in long sleeve merino shirts every fall, and they are a good deal. However I do find they have a slightly higher itch factor compared to icebreaker or higher end brands, especially if they happen to sneak into the dryer.
I totally agree about the itch factor, though not intolerable, the Costco ones are more itchy for me. I also wait for deals from Icebreaker or smart wool and cough up the price. They last forever and I haven't had any get holes, tough a Buff merino wool headband that's fairly new has several holes already.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not even 5 minutes ago, just after my wife got back from our local Costco here in Canada, I asked if they had the Merino tops and long bottoms in stock again and she noted that they were indeed in stock! We each bought a pair of these "long johns" last fall and wore them all winter! They go in our emergency clothing dry bag while on canoe trips in northern Ontario, even in summer, and we wore them on Vancouver Island almost every day a few weeks ago. One of the best deals going at under CAD $20 each piece! Will be getting another pair just in case. And yes, when we do our next Camino, they will be with us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have heard both good and bad about both Costco and Aldi Merino wool clothing. I cannot wear any wool except socks, but I get the impression from other threads that you kind'a "get what you pay for" and the less you pay, they are more delicate and given to small holes the Merino is...so some say.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.