• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino fleece or synthetic puffy for October/early November?

Nelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sept/Oct 2023; July 2024
Hi everyone - I am starting to overthink my mid/outer-layer options and could use some advice. I am planning to walk the Frances beginning in late September from SJPdP, ending in SDC at the end of October and then going on to Fisterra and Muxia the first week in November. I’m torn between a merino fleece full zip hoody and a lightweight synthetic puffy. The puffy weighs less but is also less breathable. I’m also concerned that the lightwight nylon fabric might not hold up if I wore it with my pack, but pairing It with my rainshell might make it too warm for a walk on a cool-ish day without rain. The hoody, on the other hand, has all the wonderful qualities of merino, but it weighs around 600 grams. As a third option, I also have an old school lightweight but warm shetland sweater that I could pair with a merino vest. As a baselayer I plan to wear a s/s or l/s merino t-shirt, depending on the overall weather. I am also going to bring rain gear.

So, wise pilgrims who have gone before me….what would you choose? Any and all thoughts are welcome. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is hard to advise on one shirt without knowing ALL the other top layers you have.

On the coldest day you can put on all your layers. For me, my rain jacket over a couple of light/medium merino layers, plus buff and gloves, have always been enough while walking. I take a down vest to wear in the evenings when I do feel the cold.

Thanks for the input. Here is the rest of my kit: 2 lightweight short sleeve merino t-shirts (150 g weight), 2 long sleeve merino t-shirts (150 g and 250 g), buff, beanie and gloves. Lightweight gortex rain shell. Hiking pants for the walk, macabi skirt for afterwards. Rain pants because it’s autumn. And a pair of merino leggings. Additional items under consideration: lightweight but somewhat fragile synthetic puffy, substantial (but heavy) merino hoody, shetland sweater, merino vest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore a merino vest, a long-sleeved lightweight fleece, a synthetic puffy waistcoat and a breathable waterproof when I walked over the Napoleon in wind, rain and mist, in mid September. It was lousy weather!
But I was very comfortable with regard to my clothing.
I’d now wear my merino fleece jacket rather than the man-made one.

Buen camino!

Edit: how about wearing your 250 long sleeved merino top with your puffy?
Though I think I’d prefer a sleeveless puffy - more versatile.
I also wore a buff, hat and gloves.

Last edited:
I use a synthetic zip hoodie, not merino. IMHO, they are lighter, more durable, and a lot cheaper than merino. The merino material is best used as a base layer because of its miraculous sweat management properties. As an outer layer, it looks great, but adds cost and weight without giving much back in return. I have walked in all weather (below freezing) with a merino base layer, a synthetic long sleeve, a synthetic fleece hoodie, and a rain jacket. Lots of people like the puffy vests, and that's fine, but they are hard to dry when wet, and I find them less versatile in constructing just the right warmth package for a wide range of temperatures....and they can be fragile.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
2 lightweight short sleeve merino t-shirts (150 g weight), 2 long sleeve merino t-shirts (150 g and 250 g)
Would you ever wear all four at once, in addition to your rain jacket and the mid/outer layer you are asking about? I doubt it. Maybe they are enough without the mid/outer layer. Or maybe leave the 250g one at home and take the puffy vest.
Additional items under consideration: lightweight but somewhat fragile synthetic puffy, substantial (but heavy) merino hoody, shetland sweater, merino vest.
Of these items, the hood on the merino is duplicated with your beanie. Also can you explain what is the weight and function of the merino vest?

The merino vest is 380 g/m weight, so heavier than the 250 g long-sleeve t-shirt. I’ve used it to keep my core warm during winter sports. Very similar to a synthetic fleece.

Thanks, all, the advice has been great so far. Keep it coming. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Merino fleece.
I've walked that same exact time frame on the Camino Frances before. The fleece with the rainshell is far more versatile and that's exactly what I had, except a synthetic fleece.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.