• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino or Quick Dry Wicking tops????

NTange

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino de Santiago
Help. I have read so many threads & picked up plenty of great ideas. However, I am still confused... I will be walking in April/May and concerned about being cold. I come from Darwin (super hot all the time) & feel the cold whenever I leave the NT!!! Should I focus on merino tops, which take longer to dry or Quick Dry polyester type tops? Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bit the bullet yesterday and bought an IceBreaker longsleeve Merino. Untill now I had purchased much less expensive brands of Merino but they are itchy. I am hoping this one will not end up itching. I plan to use it as Pjs, or when the sun is really hlt and I want to protect my arms. Packing for upper body will be 2 synthetic short sleeved Ts, the Merino longsleeve and a thin fleece. For rain cover I will have umbrella, and Altus worn open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
what kind of budget you have for walking the Camino?
wool tops definitely going to be more expensive that the synthetics

My synthetic Ts are 25$ a piece, the fleece was 20$ including pj bottoms and a camisole( it is part of a Costco PJs set at 20$ so let's say it cost 10$), the Ice Breaker was 90$. But just imagine if I had first bought it instead of all the other alternatives at a loweer price I will not be using....

I once calculated that my gear totals 1 250 $ or so, including poles, backpack, shoes and sleeping bag. In C$.

Shoes: 150$
Backpack: 200 $
Poles: 100 $
Macabi skirt and / walking pants x2: 250$
Sleeping bag: 100$
Socks x 3: 60$
Ts x 2: 50$
Longsleeve Merino: 90$
Fleece: 50$ - my old LLBean I used to carry, until I lost it near Monte de Gozo
Merino undies x2: 50$
Hi-viz Sun hat: 40$
Altus: 100$
EVA Birkinstocks: 35$
Nylon backing bags and pm back for grocery shopping, carrying Ipad, etc.: 30$
And then there are the electronics I am not counting other tha pn the adaptors: 20$
Antichaffing cream, St-John's wart oil, blister care tape, bandages, etc: 20$

It adds up!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After reading through this forum that Merino was all the rage with everyone and upon recommendation from someone i knew also, i promptly went out and bought two icebreaker tops. A long and short sleeve. Then i bought a second long sleeve Cedeberg top. After a few wears i could not longer deny that they were just a tiny bit itchy on my arms. So...before you spend lots of $ on Merino, make sure it doesnt itch.

After reading through this forum that Merino was all the rage with everyone and upon recommendation from someone i knew also, i promptly went out and bought two icebreaker tops. A long and short sleeve. Then i bought a second long sleeve Cedeberg top. After a few wears i could not longer deny that they were just a tiny bit itchy on my arms. So...before you spend lots of $ on Merino, make sure it doesnt itch.
I'm now wearing my brand new Iceberg and I do still feel an itch. But not as bad as when wearing the Costco Merinos. I think I recall there is a trick to washing these to help breakdown the fibers. Is it to wash them inside out?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Always wash inside-out. It exposes the fibres most contaminated by skin-cells and such to the vigours of the washing action. Mud, dust and surface evaporated salts from sweat will rinse out even if "the skin-sides on the outside and the out-sides on the in-side". The abrasion is also said to help to 'mat' the fibres reducing that slightly prickly feeling you can get from new wool. That said I don't normally encounter any 'itch' from high - end / 95-100% (read bl**dy expensive) merino its the lower ratio and "merino and 'other' fibres" that cause me grief.

Always wash inside-out. It exposes the fibres most contaminated by skin-cells and such to the vigours of the washing action. Mud, dust and surface evaporated salts from sweat will rinse out even if "the skin-sides on the outside and the out-sides on the in-side". The abrasion is also said to help to 'mat' the fibres reducing that slightly prickly feeling you can get from new wool. That said I don't normally encounter any 'itch' from high - end / 95-100% (read bl**dy expensive) merino its the lower ratio and "merino and 'other' fibres" that cause me grief.
New purchase is 87% Merino, 13% Nylon core spun, 150 grade (Men's TechLite) Will investigate what the others were.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[QUOTE="Anemone del Camino,

I once calculated that my gear totals 1 250 $ or so, including poles, backpack, shoes and sleeping bag. In C$.
It adds up![/QUOTE]
I have had to replace a lot of 20 year old gear, buy lighter
I too was recentlty addingup costs gear (i have learned for me that settling on second brst usually means o go back and buy again)
But i had an Ah Ha! This is my first camino ( sept 2016) and most of this gear will go on. So if i go on more caninos the cost per Camino gets less and less!

[QUOTE="Anemone del Camino,

It adds up!
But i had an Ah Ha! This is my first camino ( sept 2016) and most of this gear will go on. So if i go on more caninos the cost per Camino gets less and less![/QUOTE]
Alas, as long as you keep hanging around this forum you will learn about lighter, faster drying, double duty items you just must get, or different ways of doing things that will keep you shopping. ;). But you are right, buy the best you can afford now and keep walking, and not checking into the Forum for added temptation.

I think that the only thing I still carry from my first Camino are my walking pants, and my fleece, had I not lost it along the Camino!

Used synthetic baselayers on my 1st camino and merino on the 2nd. Will never go back to synthetic.
Yes it is pricier, but worth every penny.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, I like synthetics.
Easy, comfortable, affordable, and I've never found them to smell.
I have wool but won't use them unless it's REALLY cold.

I used 150 weight smart wool tops on Frances last summer and I also had a Patagonia synthtic tropical hoody. You already are familiar with the benefits of merino so I won't repeat - but one disadvantage was that they were inferior to the synthetic for keeping the sun off of me, I could feel the sun penetrate.

I used 150 weight smart wool tops on Frances last summer and I also had a Patagonia synthtic tropical hoody. You already are familiar with the benefits of merino so I won't repeat - but one disadvantage was that they were inferior to the synthetic for keeping the sun off of me, I could feel the sun penetrate.
Amd to think this is what I was looking for in a longshirt. Oh well, my umbrella will then have to come out more frequently. Thank you for the heads up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually, merino offers better protection from sun, according to testing of various textiles, compared to most synthetics or cotton. Merino has a natural UV protection factor of 30+. I also felt the sun penetrating. I think it is due to the terrain not having any shades whatsoever. One is exposed to the sun the entire time.

I have also taken merino long-sleeved shirt and long underwear in the past. I find Ibex less itchy than Icebreaker. But Merino is a problem if you cross paths with bedbugs (as I did last year on the LePuy route, at least once and probably twice). You can't put it in the dryer. I am still trying to decide whether I will take merino again this year or replace it with things that can be bedbug-proofed if necessary. Also not all merino is made equal - either in terms of quality or the ethical standards of the companies.

Actually, merino offers better protection from sun, according to testing of various textiles, compared to most synthetics or cotton. Merino has a natural UV protection factor of 30+. I also felt the sun penetrating. I think it is due to the terrain not having any shades whatsoever. One is exposed to the sun the entire time.

Interesting that we both felt the penetrating sun. I wonder if it had more to do with the weave rather than the fiber itself of my particular garments. Incidently i never felt the sun penetrate the Patagonia tropical hoody, it was like wearing shade, never had to use sun screen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting that we both felt the penetrating sun. I wonder if it had more to do with the weave rather than the fiber itself of my particular garments. Incidently i never felt the sun penetrate the Patagonia tropical hoody, it was like wearing shade, never had to use sun screen.
That's probably become these garments are ment to protect you from the sun, with a UPF factor.

Help. I have read so many threads & picked up plenty of great ideas. However, I am still confused... I will be walking in April/May and concerned about being cold. I come from Darwin (super hot all the time) & feel the cold whenever I leave the NT!!! Should I focus on merino tops, which take longer to dry or Quick Dry polyester type tops? Cheers
Ooh, another Darwinite!!! Which route are you doing? I did the VDLP and continued on to Finisterre. My favourite top was a dark blue Montane Bionic which contains merino. It was excellent even during the worst of last year's heatwave (I went in June-July). I had an Adidas thin running top which I thought would be better for hot weather. Great top but having pack straps rub against it damages it quite a bit and I knew from about halfway which top I was going to burn at Finisterre. You will be handwashing most of the time and drying on lines so pick a colour that doesn't show the dirt as badly. White is not a great choice :rolleyes:. The merino tops are also less smelly.
I did the Rogaine event last Saturday wearing my favourite Camino bra to realise that Spain was obviously a lot drier than Darwin as I got a bit of chafing because the moisture couldn't fully wick away. I was sweating from the moment I stepped out of the shade. That never happened in Spain even on the hottest days.

Oh, I bought a long sleeved thin merino base layer from Kathmandu with the idea of putting it on as an extra layer. I also had an Arcteryx windjacket which is very light, rainproof enough and was excellent for those colder mornings when it got down to about 12 degrees. Never used the Kathmandu top while walking but it was good in chilly albergues and was a useful top to change into on arrival. If it was going to get colder the plan was to put all my 3 tops on, my windjacket and if really necessary my rain poncho. If the weather was consistently cold I would just buy another layer of clothes. A buff is useful as it protects your neck but if a bit chilly you can pull it over your face to warm it up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting. I also need long sleeves for sun protection.

I walked the same time period you are going to, I would get cold at the end of my day even when it was warm. I had to wear my fleece & rain coat until I could get food. Then I would warm up. I did not have any wool. Next time smart wool for me.

I walked the same time period you are going to, I would get cold at the end of my day even when it was warm. I had to wear my fleece & rain coat until I could get food. Then I would warm up. I did not have any wool. Next time smart wool for me.
Thanks MTtoCamino. What about during the day, always warm?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ooh, another Darwinite!!! Which route are you doing? I did the VDLP and continued on to Finisterre. My favourite top was a dark blue Montane Bionic which contains merino. It was excellent even during the worst of last year's heatwave (I went in June-July). I had an Adidas thin running top which I thought would be better for hot weather. Great top but having pack straps rub against it damages it quite a bit and I knew from about halfway which top I was going to burn at Finisterre. You will be handwashing most of the time and drying on lines so pick a colour that doesn't show the dirt as badly. White is not a great choice :rolleyes:. The merino tops are also less smelly.
I did the Rogaine event last Saturday wearing my favourite Camino bra to realise that Spain was obviously a lot drier than Darwin as I got a bit of chafing because the moisture couldn't fully wick away. I was sweating from the moment I stepped out of the shade. That never happened in Spain even on the hottest days.
Hi Donna. We are walking the Camino Frances. Thanks for all the info. What was your favourite Camino bra? Just curious because surely I won't sweat over there like we do here, particularly now!!!! I looked at your photos and I think I have the same Aarn pack. Did you love it?

Thanks MTtoCamino. What about during the day, always warm?
That spring, I had rain for 5 days, then it was blue sky's for the rest of the time. Mornings would be 5c to 15c then warm up to 20 to 27c soon as the sun would drop the temp would follow. I assume were you live Celsius is used. It seemed to rain more at night. Early on there was a few nights at freezing. The year before a friend walked the same time had 3 weeks of rain, but that was just unlucky. But it's best to be prepared. I thought it was perfect walking weather.
When it rains all day it is hard to get clothes to dry due to the humidity, but there are dryers at most alburgues. If not you can wear stuff & dry.
Buen Camino
Keith

I personally would be cautious about relying on merino. Having had eczema in the past, wool of any kind next to the skin may be a big no - no! :eek: Best to buy one only and try it out for a few weeks. Any allergic reaction may not be apparent straight away, and you do not want to find problems on the Camino itself.
I do wear synthetics without any problems. :)

Blessings on your preparation!
Tio Tel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Donna. We are walking the Camino Frances. Thanks for all the info. What was your favourite Camino bra? Just curious because surely I won't sweat over there like we do here, particularly now!!!! I looked at your photos and I think I have the same Aarn pack. Did you love it?

My favourite was a black soft cotton mix el cheapo racer back but it was good to go swimming in. Packs don't mix well with thin strapped bras. I had two LJ bras, one with wide straps and the other with thin straps. Took the pads out. I'm not big up top so I don't need heavy duty support. I am a fan of the Aarn back. The major hassle was the foam pad kept working it's way up and out all the time so I would have to stuff it back in every time we stopped. The vertical metal rod immediately behind it can shift around too. But I'm a convert.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That spring, I had rain for 5 days, then it was blue sky's for the rest of the time. Mornings would be 5c to 15c then warm up to 20 to 27c soon as the sun would drop the temp would follow. I assume were you live Celsius is used. It seemed to rain more at night. Early on there was a few nights at freezing. The year before a friend walked the same time had 3 weeks of rain, but that was just unlucky. But it's best to be prepared. I thought it was perfect walking weather.
When it rains all day it is hard to get clothes to dry due to the humidity, but there are dryers at most alburgues. If not you can wear stuff & dry.
Buen Camino
Keith
Thanks Keith. I know we cannot predict weather but its good to talk to others who were there at the same time as we will be going. Yes we use Celsius and 5 degrees to me is ABSOLUTELY freezing!!! 20 degrees sounds perfect walking temp. :)

My favourite was a black soft cotton mix el cheapo racer back but it was good to go swimming in. Packs don't mix well with thin strapped bras. I had two LJ bras, one with wide straps and the other with thin straps. Took the pads out. I'm not big up top so I don't need heavy duty support. I am a fan of the Aarn back. The major hassle was the foam pad kept working it's way up and out all the time so I would have to stuff it back in every time we stopped. The vertical metal rod immediately behind it can shift around too. But I'm a convert.
Interesting about your pack. Mine is brand new so I need to start 'testing' it. Thanks for the tips on bra, makes sense. was wondering about swimming, many opportunities?

Thanks Keith. I know we cannot predict weather but its good to talk to others who were there at the same time as we will be going. Yes we use Celsius and 5 degrees to me is ABSOLUTELY freezing!!! 20 degrees sounds perfect walking temp. :)
Yep depends on where your use to. Since I am a bit north & used to much colder temps I brought what I knew I could survive a night or 2 outside here in Montana, a little too much. Just remember your in a modern country if the need arises stay in a fancy place with real sheets & heat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting about your pack. Mine is brand new so I need to start 'testing' it. Thanks for the tips on bra, makes sense. was wondering about swimming, many opportunities?
On the VDLP I went swimming in the Roman thermal baths in Banos de Montemayor, a swimming pool attached to the albergue in Castro o Dozon, the Embalse between Santa Marta de Tera and Rionegro de Puente, and 2 lots of Roman thermal baths in Ourense. So it is good to have a pair of shorts/knickers and sports bra that can double up as togs. A sarong is a very useful thing to take as well - I used it as a curtain so I didn't notice some stair lights that were on a motion sensor, pillowcase, laundry bag or as a skirt/wrap. Make the most of Roman baths - you can often find a foot or shoulder massage there with a pilgrim's discount and the hot water is great for any sore spots.
Seems like the French route has a few termas too http://www.spain.info/en/reportajes/termalismo_en_el_camino_de_santiago.html

But i had an Ah Ha! This is my first camino ( sept 2016) and most of this gear will go on. So if i go on more caninos the cost per Camino gets less and less!
Alas, as long as you keep hanging around this forum you will learn about lighter, faster drying, double duty items you just must get, or different ways of doing things that will keep you shopping. ;). But you are right, buy the best you can afford now and keep walking, and not checking into the Forum for added temptation.

I think that the only thing I still carry from my first Camino are my walking pants, and my fleece, had I not lost it along the Camino![/QUOTE]
The best "do not do" about packing for me comes from the woman in the book or the movie, Wild. About a woman's walk on the Pacific Crest Trail. Wrong boots, and bought everything REI had to offer. Didn't try the items out until the trail. Didn't cull the unnecessary items out until some seasoned packers helped her lighten her pack and she was too sore to complain. I thought, "wow there is someone out there less prepared than I on my first Camino." Sometimes I think that I learned a lot from my errors, mistakes, ignorance and naïveté. Each time, I get better. Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I own all the different weights of merino tops and unfortunately I can only wear them in cool to cold temperatures. For me they are just too hot on warm, sunny days. To each, his own....

I own all the different weights of merino tops and unfortunately I can only wear them in cool to cold temperatures. For me they are just too hot on warm, sunny days. To each, his own....
Ah ha! Someone finally breaking away from the Merino song and dance. I have tried but can't. Even the expensive Ice Breaker is itchy. Tried wearing it at night and wake up during the night because my neck is irritated. Yeah for those who can tolerate Merino, but as fesh as it might smell after a day in the heat, it is not for everyone.

Many merino long sleeves Ts for sell, IB and Costco. Both equally itchy in my book.

Ah ha! Someone finally breaking away from the Merino song and dance. I have tried but can't. Even the expensive Ice Breaker is itchy. Tried wearing it at night and wake up during the night because my neck is irritated. Yeah for those who can tolerate Merino, but as fesh as it might smell after a day in the heat, it is not for everyone.

Many merino long sleeves Ts for sell, IB and Costco. Both equally itchy in my book.
What materials/brands do you like in the synthetics?

Icebreaker now have a cool-lite range that I now use on such warm, sunny days/weeks

Try a merino silk mix. It has all the good properties of merino (warm when wet, wicking, dries quickly) but is super soft.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.