• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino socks?

JeanneArashi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2 June 2018
Gonna do the France one starting from June. First time camino! haha
Seems like it's gonna get hotter but it's still better to wear merino socks, is that right?

I tried to find more pairs in the place I live (Hong Kong), but I could only find 2 or 3 choices. The merino is around 20% as stated. I have one pair which I bought in New Zealand and the touch feels quite different. How many % of merino is recommended?

If I cannot find a suitable one in my city here, is it easy to find it in Madrid or SJPP?

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, best wishes for your up coming camino.

Once you get to Madrid or SJPP you may be able to find them in stores.
Especially in Decathlon stores.

Hopefully, someone will hop on and tell you where they got their Merino socks at in Spain or France.

Why Merino for me??

I have walked the Frances. Biked the Frances. Walked both the Ingles and the Portugues.

On every camino I did I wore merino socks. Sometimes with a cool max light weight sock liner or a merino sock liner...other times just the sock. But always Merino socks.

I never got a blister. Rested feet often. Aired feet and socks.

Learned years ago when taking a break to move left sock to right foot and right sock to left foot. Don't know if this is true or not, but changes the wear pattern of the socks and how they have been meshed down in the shoe by switching.

I saw merino socks on the camino. Believe in Decatheon.
May not have been Merino per say...but quality seemed good.

I am sure you can buy Merino socks in Madrid or something close to them

There is a Decathlon store in Pamplona. I’m told that it’s outside the city center and so would require a bus ride to get there. The albergue should be able to advise you.

In Estella there’s a small “Decathlon Easy” about 100 meters from the Camino! Look for it on your way out of town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a Decathlon store in Pamplona. I’m told that it’s outside the city center and so would require a bus ride to get there. The albergue should be able to advise you.
Using Pamplona's street bus website it looks as if you take line #16. One place to start is at Calle Yanguas y Miranda, nÂş 19 which is across from the bus station. You get off at Berriozar, Avda. Gipuzkoa, nÂş 63. But near to the bus station is El Cortes Ingles and near the cathedral is Caminoteca.

https://www.infotuc.es/index.php/es/horarios-y-recorridos/linea/16
https://www.caminoteca.com/en/159-socks-equipments

For bush walking I always wear Merino socks , nice thick cushioned ones that cover your ankles . They are hot though and take an age to dry , an average trip is only 15 km with a speed of less than 3 km per hour .
I took four pair with me for the Frances and suffered from dreadful blisters , when walking 25/30 odd km per day at close to 5 km per hour on average your feet will perspire a lot and these socks collect far too much moisture . I found using Coolmax liner socks to be the best , using three pairs per day and changing them every few hours at a rest or lunch stop . The manky ones were pinned to the outside of my pack till they dried then used again . All were washed each night and being thin and largely synthetic dried completely by the next morning .
I did try superfine Merino socks but they don't last very long whereas the liner socks saw me all the way to Finistere .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In Estella there’s a small “Decathlon Easy” about 100 meters from the Camino! Look for it on your way out of town.

Muga is a well stocked shop not far from city centre, in fact probably counts as central.
Muga
4.5 (22)
Sportswear Store · Calle Paulino Caballero, 27

I am a fan of merino sicks normally, but they didn't work for me on the Camino. I wore only merino socks the first time, but took two Coolmax and one merino the last time. Until the merino ones shrunk in the drier, and didn't fit any more.The Coolmax drier faster, and were not so hot in my shoes, and didnt shrink so could go in the dryer. No blisters second time around. I have walked Caminos in hot weather - my walking at home is much cooler, and normally wetter, and merino seems to work for that.

When I wore shoes I wore merino socks, but quite fine ones (red ones, as people will know). They dried fast, and because they were thin they did not get hot. I've never put them in the drier. There was no need.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seems like it's gonna get hotter but it's still better to wear merino socks, is that right?

I tried to find more pairs in the place I live (Hong Kong), but I could only find 2 or 3 choices. The merino is around 20% as stated. I have one pair which I bought in New Zealand and the touch feels quite different. How many % of merino is recommended?

If I cannot find a suitable one in my city here, is it easy to find it in Madrid or SJPP?

Buen Camino

Often, when I walk in June if it's hot, I change from merino to simple cotton socks.
They're cooler and they dry fine in June.
Wear what's comfortable for you.

I would recommend that you just buy what ever good quality synthetic quick dry or merino synthetic blend is available locally, and try them out with the shoes you are going to wear.

I obsessed with the my sock choice before my Camino and tried out many different brands. I now have a very expensive sock collection.

For me I really liked the Darn Tough merino socks and now wear them almost everyday. I was afraid that the merino might be too warm for a summer Camino, so I wore Wrightsock Coolmesh II. They are a synthetic material, have a built in liner, and dry quickly. I had no blisters and will probably wear them for my next Camino. In the US you can find them on Amazon.com, but I don't know if they are available in Hong Kong or Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Merino socks are great, but are more expensive and not a necessity for walking the Camino by any means.
I always wore synthetic, tech type running/athletic socks. Less expensive. Dry quickly. Helps prevent blisters.
I have forgotten socks at albergues, and have lost socks and have actually just thrown them in a bin at the end of the walk (just dirty and worn out). Easy to do when the socks only cost about 5 euro a pair, as opposed to the merino woolen variety that run at least 10 euro a pair.

I wore Wrightsock Coolmesh II. They are a synthetic material, have a built in liner, and dry quickly. I had no blisters and will probably wear them for my next Camino.
I've worn WrightSocks Coolmesh II socks on my two Caminos. I only had one small blister on the side of my toe during my first Camino, and zero blisters on the second. I also had a pair of WrightSocks with a merino outer layer, but they didn't hold up as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino
I have worn merino socks on the camino with Injinji toe sock liners. I have also worn Wrightsocks with the cool max inner sock. If your feet tend to get really sweaty, you might look for synthetic socks that wick. Popular merino sock brands in the US include Smartwool, Icebreaker, Darntough. There is a Decathelon sport store in Hong Kong in Causeway Bay, and you might be able to order thru their website for socks that are not carried in the HK store.

Here are the specs for my preferred sock choices:
Icebreaker (65% Merino Wool, 33% Nylon, 2% LYCRA®)
Smartwool (66% Merino Wool, 32% Nylon, 2% Elastane)

I agree with @martyseville and @Charles Zammit...let your feet air out when you take a break. Sometimes I switch socks, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I wear a liner, sometimes I don't.

Good suggestion:
I would recommend that you just buy what ever good quality synthetic quick dry or merino synthetic blend is available locally, and try them out with the shoes you are going to wear.

Happy shopping and buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've never worn Merina socks although I love their tee shirts
I wear the cheapest wool mix socks I can find at about 8 euros per pair.
I never remove socks during breaks to air my feet.
In over 60 years of trekking, I've never had a blister.
But my boots fit like a glove and I think that's the reason

"Darn Tough Socks", are great hiking socks, they are merino wool and have a life time warranty. We hike a lot and have used them on the Camino. I carry 1 pair and wear 1 pair. Have had my 2 pair for 3 years. They are expensive $18-24.00. They are a good investment for the long term.

I've never worn Merina socks although I love their tee shirts
I wear the cheapest wool mix socks I can find at about 8 euros per pair.
I never remove socks during breaks to air my feet.
In over 60 years of trekking, I've never had a blister.
But my boots fit like a glove and I think that's the reason

That's also why I'm thinking merino socks coz my boots were bought a bit over size and as recommended that we should wear thicker socks for hiking and our feet will get slightly bigger during the hike. But it's a bit too big, sometimes for thinner socks I have to wear two or it hurts after few hours....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For bush walking I always wear Merino socks , nice thick cushioned ones that cover your ankles . They are hot though and take an age to dry , an average trip is only 15 km with a speed of less than 3 km per hour .
I took four pair with me for the Frances and suffered from dreadful blisters , when walking 25/30 odd km per day at close to 5 km per hour on average your feet will perspire a lot and these socks collect far too much moisture . I found using Coolmax liner socks to be the best , using three pairs per day and changing them every few hours at a rest or lunch stop . The manky ones were pinned to the outside of my pack till they dried then used again . All were washed each night and being thin and largely synthetic dried completely by the next morning .
I did try superfine Merino socks but they don't last very long whereas the liner socks saw me all the way to Finistere .

The liner you are talking about, means that its very thin and you use 3 pairs at the same time??
Is coolmax a brand or some specific technique (like goretex)?

- or try a pair of line socks under the merino ones. Some use this method to avoid chafing and blisters.
- anyways, they do not weigh much and can be used as an alternativ to two normal pairs of socks... ( if your boot is too bg, that is.)

Last edited:
use coolmax for summer season if your feet get very hot, if not stick to merino blend socks, is my advice and my experience.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
..and if too much moisture is a problem, change socks every 1- 2 hours, turn inside out and hang from loops or safety pins on your rucksack.....
in this way you evacuate the moisture you accumulæate.
GoreTex boots are very hot, I use leather without, but can still get hot and moist feet...
Soldiers on march check feet every hour on the hour and change socks...

..and if too much moisture is a problem, change socks every 1- 2 hours, turn inside out and hang from loops or safety pins on your rucksack.....
in this way you evacuate the moisture you accumulæate.
GoreTex boots are very hot, I use leather without, but can still get hot and moist feet...
Soldiers on march check feet every hour on the hour and change socks...

Sounds like may need thin ones then. But I was in Spain few years ago in late July, it is not really humid as I remember? Just burning hot.
What about outer layer is merino and keep changing inner ones. Do you think it helps?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The liner you are talking about, means that its very thin and you use 3 pairs at the same time??
Is coolmax a brand or some specific technique (like goretex)?

They are very thin , best used with soft innersoles and only one pair at a time . Being thin they have a number of advantages , foremost being that they will not overheat your feet , they won't hold moisture close to your skin and engender blisters , they allow more space in your shoe for your foot to spread out if it swells and of course they will dry easily when washed .
I was of the opinion that I really needed a cushioned sock for my tired old arthritic feet , I changed my mind during the course of the Frances . In heat dry feet with good ventilation is paramount .

That's also why I'm thinking merino socks coz my boots were bought a bit over size and as recommended that we should wear thicker socks for hiking and our feet will get slightly bigger during the hike. But it's a bit too big, sometimes for thinner socks I have to wear two or it hurts after few hours....
The place I buy my hiking shoes (REI) always have encourage me to buy hiking shoes 1 -1.5 size larger because of toe pressure going down hill. I always were middle weight smart wool socks with a silk liner sock and I have never had a problem with blisters [knock on wood]. look up on YouTube the best way to lace your boots for more comfort. Try out several techniques till you find one that is comfortable for you.

Buen Camino

63% merino wool
https://eu.icebreaker.com/fr/womens-socks/hike+-medium-crew/IBND15.html?dwvar_IBND15_color=804

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore icebreaker merino socks as an outer they were great lightweight and dried quickly. By the end they started to fall apart. So i brought them back home washed and took them back to icebreaker who replaced them with a new pair as they have a lifetime guarantee ready for my next Camino

Buen Camino
I can't wear/stand wool and like REI synthetics.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have several pairs of Smartwool hiking wool crew socks and they are great in cooler weather. Last year I purchased a very thin pair of Smartwool brand crew socks, but the bottoms wore out extremely fast before I even left for the Camino and I was dissappointed. I've had very good luck with Wigwam sythetic low crew hikers on three Caminos.

I looked at my socks that I bought in NZ clearly and found “ smartwool” on it!! Surprised to find that it is the kind of socks that many of you talked about.
And I finally found one pair of coolmax liner in Hong Kong. The brand is called Fox river. Wonder if you guys know,

I guess I have to bring a combination of few different socks to or in spain to see how it works.
One big thing is that my hiking shoes are Keen leather waterproof boots, I bought it 1.5 to 2 sizes bigger... it feels very comfortable when i wear the smartwool and another sock together but when I only wear one pair it hurts after walking for 5 to 6 hours.

Do you guys all bring a proper/professional hiking boots with you? Or its ok if it’s just a simple walking or hiking shoes?

I have a pair of salomon that I use for dog walking. Thinking maybe if I wear that one then I may not need thick thick socks. I remember the heat in northern spain, but not sure about the moisture problem....

I looked at my socks that I bought in NZ clearly and found “ smartwool” on it!! Surprised to find that it is the kind of socks that many of you talked about.
And I finally found one pair of coolmax liner in Hong Kong. The brand is called Fox river. Wonder if you guys know,
I guess I have to bring a combination of few different socks to or in spain to see how it works.
One big thing is that my hiking shoes are Keen leather waterproof boots, I bought it 1.5 to 2 sizes bigger... it feels very comfortable when i wear the smartwool and another sock together but when I only wear one pair it hurts after walking for 5 to 6 hours.
Do you guys all bring a proper/professional hiking boots with you? Or its ok if it’s just a simple walking or hiking shoes?
I have a pair of salomon that I use for dog walking. Thinking maybe if I wear that one then I may not need thick thick socks. I remember the heat in northern spain, but not sure about the moisture problem....
Yes, I've seen Fox River socks in my local hiking store, and assume they are a reputable brand.

Yes, you need to test several combinations to find what works for you. You might start the day wearing 2 pairs and remove one pair as your feet swell.

My feet are always tired and a bit sore after walking 5 or 6 hours! I choose my socks based on general "feel", to create the best fit for the shoe/boot, and to cause the least friction that might lead to blisters. I don't rely on socks for significant cushioning - the shoes and inner sole provide that.

While I wear merino wool socks at home, or various weights, I prefer to walk long distances in fairly thin synthetic socks. They just feel better to me - I could try to describe in what ways, but it doesn't really matter since it is how they feel on your feet that matters. I take 3 pairs of socks with me - 1 synthetic for walking (washed every night), 1 slightly different synthetic spare, and 1 light weight merino for the evenings. You might want to bring several different ones and make your decision or change your mind on the way.

Most people would agree that heavy mountain hiking boots are not necessary or usually appropriate for the Camino. Light hiking shoes or boots are most common. Your Salomons might be suitable. If the weather is hot, your feet will get hot and sweaty, no matter what the humidity of the air, especially if your shoes/boots are waterproof.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore merino wool socks (with a thin liner) for years with backpacking in the U.S. Then tried to do the same on the Camino (July 2014, CF). Together with waterproof boots. The result was a mass of blisters so bad I quit the Camino (the miracle that lead to me unquitting and finishing is a longer story). Now, I just wear the liner (Injini toe liner socks). Zero blisters on CF 2016 and CP 2017. YMMV. IMHO, wool is just too hot for the summer on the CF. It would have been too hot even Sept.-Oct. 2016. The idea of wool socks was to provide padding from the heavy leather hiking boots we used to wear. No need for such boots with the very light Camino packs, so no need for the socks. HYOH, that is just my experience.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Yes, I've seen Fox River socks in my local hiking store, and assume they are a reputable brand.

Yes, you need to test several combinations to find what works for you. You might start the day wearing 2 pairs and remove one pair as your feet swell.

My feet are always tired and a bit sore after walking 5 or 6 hours! I choose my socks based on general "feel", to create the best fit for the shoe/boot, and to cause the least friction that might lead to blisters. I don't rely on socks for significant cushioning - the shoes and inner sole provide that.

While I wear merino wool socks at home, or various weights, I prefer to walk long distances in fairly thin synthetic socks. They just feel better to me - I could try to describe in what ways, but it doesn't really matter since it is how they feel on your feet that matters. I take 3 pairs of socks with me - 1 synthetic for walking (washed every night), 1 slightly different synthetic spare, and 1 light weight merino for the evenings. You might want to bring several different ones and make your decision or change your mind on the way.

Most people would agree that heavy mountain hiking boots are not necessary or usually appropriate for the Camino. Light hiking shoes or boots are most common. Your Salomons might be suitable. If the weather is hot, your feet will get hot and sweaty, no matter what the humidity of the air, especially if your shoes/boots are waterproof.

Unfortunately the only liner i found they don't have my size at all...
Now I really need to try get them in spain

I know generally the route is not really mountain. I just saw some introduction about the first day starting from SJPP, the graph looks like I need to climb over a 1000m high so I thought it would be quite tough sometimes. So even for the first day it's not necessary to have a heavy mountain boots?

Doyou wear the liners by themselves or in combination with another sock? I have been curious about these.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen Camino
Hi, I am visiting HK shortly and can bring you what you want from the UK?

Doyou wear the liners by themselves or in combination with another sock? I have been curious about these.
Just the liners by themselves . I continue to do so even now unless the weather is very cold .
I walked the Frances in June last year during the beginning of the Lucifer heatwave , temperatures were very high and my feet tended to sweat a lot .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Steepness =/= rugged trail requiring boots. In fact most of the Pyrenees walk is either on pavement or hard packed dirt. You wouldn't want to lift the weight of heavy boots with each step.

You do not have to wear Merino wool socks to walk the Camino.
You can wear any type of sock that works well with you and your shoes/boots. Any type that is comfortable and does not cause blisters, and no matter what variety of socks you decide to wear, it will not make a difference if your shoes/boots are the wrong choice for you.
I have always worn synthetic tech type socks made for running and other sports activities. They worked great, and cost only about 3-5 euro a pair.
When I was younger and did quite a bit of actual wilderness backpacking, I wore whatever socks I had, mostly cotton blend athletic ones. So did the group of guys I backpacked with. We never gave that much thought to sock choice, and wore whatever. Blisters were never an issue. Mind you, no way would I wear cotton socks on the Camino. Heavy, sweaty, stinky and take too long to dry.

Hi, I am visiting HK shortly and can bring you what you want from the UK?

I'm looking for coolmax liner at the moment and wanna see if it fits me, but couldn't find my size in hong kong yet. I wear UK 4 / EUR 37. Assume that it drys fast, I only need 1 pair. If there is one which seems good and not so expensive (don't know the general price but maybe around 10 pound?), would be lovely if you could help me get one pair.:oops:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.