• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino Wool socks VS Coolmax socks

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
For the ones who know both, and that have used both, what are the Pros and Cons for both of these two types of fabric, when used in socks?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Diogo

I use both combined when hill walking in Ireland in wintertime. The coolmax socks I use are a thin liner sock worn inside my 'Bridgedale' wool-mix hiking socks. On my 1st camino I continued using the combination but found my concerns re tender feet were not realised so on my 3 longer caminos I've used just mid-weight wool/mix hiking socks. I've used light weight hiking boots on 4 of my caminos as that's what my feet are conditioned to.

The primary drawback for me with the wool-mix socks is the longer drying time needed after washing so I carry 2 spare pairs to allow for this. The coolmax socks I've seen available in Ireland are all liner socks and not suitable i.m.o. as a primary sock for walking the camino but it may well be possible that elsewhere heavier versions are available. They certainly dry far quicker than wool-mix socks and on the camino I used them as liners I brought just 2 pairs.

IF your feet are conditioned to walking on rough trails in something lighter than normal hiking boots and you could find a heavier version of coolmax socks than I have seen then they could well be a possible combination

Seamus

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Much like Dan, used both and could not tell you a difference. I did also used Injinji (trademark?) socks and never walked again in any other other type socks but Injinji, specially in the summer. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For the ones who know both, and that have used both, what are the Pros and Cons for both of these two types of fabric, when used in socks?
My feet were on fire wearing merino whereas merely "very warm" in the Coolmesh.

First of all, thank you all for your answers. I'm very appreciated for them :)

About the subject: I'm asking this, mainly because my Quechua Forclaz 500 socks which I used has the second lair, are all in a point that I can't use them anymore for long hikes.

So, I've found that the portuguese company BERG, it's selling 2 pairs of Merino Wool and pairs of CoolMax socks, for 14,99€ and 16,99€ (respectively).

I've bought a pack of 2 Coolmax, and they are kinda thick, not so thin has that. BERG say that they offer the best breathability of their range of hiking socks. I will try them, with some liners on the Caminho de Fatima next October.

Thank you very much once again :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Every person's feet are different. Mine blister with merino wool (although only on the Camino -- hiking in New England, merino and my feet do fine). Coolmax socks worked a lot better for my feet on the Camino. I had to toss the merino. Outside temperature matters as well. I walked in May when the merino failed me.

My feet were on fire wearing merino whereas merely "very warm" in the Coolmesh.
Just curious...are your boots/hiking shoes "waterproof"; i.e. lined with goretex or similar? That tends to make footwear a lot hotter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found my secret to be (and the secret I pass on to fellow pilgrims) is...
Thin, coolmax liner sock - close to the skin, wicks moisture away from the skin
Mid weight merino wool hiking sock - Still allows moisture to wick away but gives you warmth and layering

The two layers together rub against one another and not your skin, eliminating blisters.

Buy the size that snugly fits your foot, you dont want those layers baggy.
If you wear the two pairs, at least you have options for temperature control.
Have you heard of the 1,000 mile socks?
Well, theyre sold on the same principle, double layer to not rub on your skin.....however, with these, you are stuck with two layers whatever the temperature.

This pic explains coolmax a little better.
2zp2wia.gif

@gregdedman Yes we wear triple socks for the same reasons. inner thin wicking liner, mid weight mohair middle and cushion sole mohair outer. All the friction is on the middle pair. So far we have consistantly had to buy 2 pairs of mid weight to every pair of inner and outer socks as it is the middle ones which wear out first. When really hot we can wear inner plus to pairs of middle socks, or 2 inner and one cushion sole - lots of options. Our feet love the system.

I'm not sure if Under Armour socks are Coolmax but I think they are. I used the UA socks one day of my two caminos (60 walking days) and it was the only day I got blisters. And I got several of them. Merino wool socks with silk liner socks and a little "unguento tradicional" (from Mundicamino) around the toes on the other 59 days produced zero blisters.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll throw another in the mix. I LOVE my Darn Tough socks! The are light and oh so comfy. Anyone else have experience with these?

Much like Dan, used both and could not tell you a difference. I did also used Injinji (trademark?) socks and never walked again in any other other type socks but Injinji, specially in the summer. Buen Camino.

Yesssssss, injinji toe socks!!! For me the only way to go. LOVE THEM!!

If there is one sock that will not give you blisters, it is the toesock. I will never walk a camino in any other sock then these ones (injini lightweight). They also have thicker ones for winter and they even have wool ones, for the wooly people :). I will stick with the lightweight ones. And most are coolmax.

For those who are looking for ANY socks- socksaddict.com
My " recipe "- toe socks+ SmartWool medium weight socks. Changing bought every 2 hours.First Camino- not a single blister!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree that every person's feet are different and you should wear whatever is comfortable for you. However as a fact, Coolmax has better breathability than any natural fiber. It draws the moisture away from the skin and makes you feel dry and cool under hot weather. Merino wool works fine as well when it's hot or cold. But it dries slower and it will wear out faster than Coolmax.

I've found Coolmax liners with Bridgedale hiking socks to be perfect for me with boots and walking shoes.

My habit during warm or hot weather is to stop every two hours or so, take my boots and socks off, say hello and thank-you to my toes and let them take in the view for about ten minutes before setting off again.

Seems to work well for me and keeps me blister free.

Buen (good sock choice) Camino

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.