• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merrel MOABs

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I first heard about MOABs on this sight and have walked 2 Caminos - first in a shoe the second in a light weight mid boot. Loved both shoes, particularly the boot as it gave my week ankles more support while still comparitively light.

They are comfortable, suit my wide feet and tick almost every box... except.... The bottom of my feet get very sore after about a week - like feeling they are on fire. I just figured it was due to walking 25km each day on different surfaces, especially rock. But I wonder - is this normal or is there a better shoe out there? I have tried cushioed innersoles but they dont make a difference and squash my foot into the shoe (going up a size doesnt work either)

I regularly see a podiatrist and I do not have any foot issues.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sounds like it could be Metatarsalgia, but I am no expert so you should talk to your podiatrist about the symptoms and possible remedies.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I first heard about MOABs on this sight and have walked 2 Caminos - first in a shoe the second in a light weight mid boot. Loved both shoes, particularly the boot as it gave my week ankles more support while still comparitively light.

They are comfortable, suit my wide feet and tick almost every box... except.... The bottom of my feet get very sore after about a week - like feeling they are on fire. I just figured it was due to walking 25km each day on different surfaces, especially rock. But I wonder - is this normal or is there a better shoe out there? I have tried cushioed innersoles but they dont make a difference and squash my foot into the shoe (going up a size doesnt work either)

Could it be the socks rather than the shoes? What material are they? Thick or thin?

I have MOAB 3s and wear them with merino socks and have not experienced any problems. I did replace the original insoles because I like to change insoles if they get wet and prefer both pairs to have the same feel.

I use them and find they have a thin insole so I now replace the Merrel insole with one that is thicker around the ball of the foot, means I have to go up a bit in sizing but it works for me. I have also on occasion cut myself some rock plates, from a variety of materials including plastic milk bottles, and put them under the Merrel insole which also works well.

Thanks for the replies

@Turga - Just googled Metatarsalgia - I dont have any bumps like the pics but will def take it up with my podiatrist next week.

@A Kerryman - yes to the vibram soles

@Jeff Crawley - good quality, thick (winter walking) merino socks, I used a footcream each moring when walking - never had blisters

@Stroller (great name!) maybe I will try some inner soles when I buy my next pair - I am intrigued with the idea of rock plates - will google!

One thing I have been thinking of is that Vitamin B deficiency can cause burning soles - I usualy become deficient when walking, it can be a tough place for a vegetarian! Especially in Winter with very little options. Taking supliments seem to help, this is just anecdotal..

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wore merrell moab boots while walking the camino del norte and found that while on the softer paths my feet felt okay but after a while walking on the roads and pavements the balls of my feet burned like hell. For the next camino I changed to Salomon gtx and they were way more comfortable on the asphalt

Same as you. Once low cut MOABs, second time MOAB boots. Smartwool socks both times; changed socks everyday at mid day, without fail. No problems.

Burning feeling on the soles of you feet cold be a diabetic symptom. Happens to a friend of mine, often.
My guess is it's not the foot wear.
Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just thought it was the constant pounding of my feet on hard ground that caused it but it could be a condition

Instead of a podiatrist I would search out a pedorthist In your area. In my experience they will examine the wear pattern on several pairs of shoes or boots, watch how you walk and run (if applicable) take impressions of your feet and then suggest a a solution for the issues you are experiencing. They can’t diagnose your problem as they are not an MD but they can alleviate your pain. My issue was probably Morton’s Neuoma and the pain went away with a simple over the counter insert. My podiatrist wanted me to buy a $400 hard insole which would not be good for running and hiking. The pedorthist came up with a much better solution for my lifestyle.

I have tried cushioed innersoles but they dont make a difference and squash my foot into the shoe (going up a size doesnt work either)
Merrell MOABs are my shoe of choice too. Curious what type of replacement insoles you tried? I too find the thin insoles that come with the shoe/boot insufficient in cushioning. I always size up 1 full size to give me more room for extra cushioning. I've gone two ways to add cushioning. Both work well for me, but I like the second method better and that's what I'm doing for my Camino. Also, I use full cushioning SMARTWOOL Performance socks for additional cushioning and excellent wicking.

METHOD 1: Keep the original insole that came with the shoe but add one or two layers of Dr. Scholes Air Cushion Insoles (or generic brand) under them.

METHOD 2: Strip out the insole and replace it with a thick, memory foam insole that I've found on AMAZON. I prefer this method because the flat insoles work better with my custom orthotics. If you don't have custom orthotics, Method #1 may be a better choice.

I'm surprised that sizing up has not given you sufficient room in the shoe. perhaps going up another half size might do the trick?

Best of luck in finding the right shoe/fit. I know from experience how difficult it is!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currently resting after day 3 of my Camino and have been wearing Merrell Accentor Mid boots which have been amazing so far. I've got a pair of Moab boots at home which I like for walking, especially on hills, but these have been really light and my feet feel good so far.

Love my Moab mid-highs and wouldn't consider walking with any other brand. They wear well, grip the surface, and fit my wide feet.
I usually add to the insoles, as others have posted. I'm especially conscious about my socks.
Maybe cut down on the distance - your feet are just trying to ask you to stop??
Good luck - no one needs burning feet starting a week into a long walk!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have worn Merrell Moab's on two Camino Frances and liked them. They were the low models, non waterproof. I changed out insoles for both of them. The factory insole just too flimsy. The aftermarket insole I wear is considerably thicker, but is made of a dense rubber that cushions but doesn't break down and has nice arch support. I always just wear one pair of thin, synthetic runner's socks when I walk the Camino.
I liked the Moab's but have since converted to Oboz Sawtooth's.

Lots of good info already, but I’ll add my two cents. I have low cut MOABs that I use for my everyday winter shoes. I really like them. However, I find the soles are very hard on my feet and not great for walking distances. I’ve walked all of my caminos in Hoka Stinson ATRs. They have a wide toe box, are extremely cushy for long distances (even on asphalt), and are plenty grippy. Even though they’re not waterproof, I’ve learned they dry out well when stuffed with newspaper overnight. I just got my new Stinson ATR 6 and can’t wait to get them out on the San Salvador and Primitivo in 4 1/2 weeks! Good luck, and buen camino!

I do not have any foot issues.
Perhaps you need to re-think this!

Burning feet syndrome is a specific medical condition, but there may be many other neuropathies or other conditions that might be involved. You would be best advised to consult your GP about what is happening here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am so devoted to the Merrill MOAB (which stands for Mother of All Boots) Ventilators that when they started to disappear, I bought as many pairs as I could. I have walked on many caminos, long distance walks in the UK, up and down mountains all over the U.S. They are so comfortable while providing support, traction and durability. Even so, before I did my first long distance walk, my orthopedic doctor strongly recommended that I get fitted orthotics. I did, and I never wear these or any shoes without them. No discomfort, no lingering pain, no blisters (although I credit that more to the socks I wear).

Walking the camino or anywhere for that matter depends soooo much on the comfort and health of one's feet. Take the time to pursue every option to getting this right for you. Don't cut corners. I have never regretted the time, effort and cost I put into this.

I had the exact same problem: by the time we got to Burgos, my feet were killing me.

Like most, I started years ago with MOAB's, then switched to Oboz Sawtooth's (on the advice of an REI guy) because of the supposed better 'structure'. I did all my practice hikes with the Sawtooth's, and started in SJPP confident that I'd finish my Camino with them. They actually are good shoes, but not for me after walking more than 3 hours. Apparently I have very sensitive foot soles, and felt every rock or pebble on my path.

In Burgos I headed straight to the nearest runners shop, where they recommended Hoka's to fix my problem. I got the Mafate-2 trailrunners, and floated on my personal little clouds to Santiago in total comfort. To my surprise they lasted well beyond the Camino, probably close to 500 miles total.

After wearing them out I got another pair, which again worked fine. But as ALWAYS happens when you find something you like, that model is discontinued, and the new model (Mafate-3) fits nothing like the previous model. I decided instead to try the Speedgoat-4 in wide, and so far so good. But I'm not sure yet... Of course you don't need trailrunners for the Camino, so I'm thinking of trying one of the Hoka roadrunners. I'm planning to walk the Portugues and part of the Mozarabe in late Aug/Sept, so I have a little time to experiment.

Moabs are named after the town of Moab, Utah.

I had amazing success with @davebugg ’s rock plate idea. I cut up a heavy plastic jug that my cat litter comes in, but a milk jug or detergent bottle ought to work just as well.

I couldn’t even say how many Merrill boots and shoes I have had over many years, but I always replace the insole with Superfeet inserts. They are much more durable and have better arch support.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi. I have tried Moabs but they did not suit and had a bad couple of weeks with them in 2019. My go to shoe are the Moab Fst if you can find them. Before and after I used standard Moab I have walked in these and no pain or blisters anytime. They generally have the Fst version on Amazon and I usually stick to my size. Maybe worth a try and worse case scenario you get your self a very good quality every day trainer.

I walked my two most recent Caminos in Merrell Moabs (my first Camino was so long ago I have no idea what I wore, likely hiking boots). I did not have similar problems. Nevertheless, since then I have discovered Hoka One Ones and will likely walk my next Camino in them.

For what it is worth, I smoother both my feet in Vaseline before I start every morning. Thankfully I have never had any foot problems and have used 4 different types of boot over my various Caminos. It may have no effect on your issue but after 10 days or so walking the Vaseline theory can be confirmed or debunked.

Good luck with your search for comfortable feet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.