• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merrill Moab Ventilator Mids

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Wearing new subject hiking boots around house the last two days. Silk liners and Marino wool socks.
Seem to be tight on the bridge (??) of each foot - the top portion behind big toe. Tried loosening the laces in that area a bit and it was some help, but still feel it.
Also, a bit smaller in the toe box width than I remember in the store (I can feel the little toe and its neighbor touching (rubbing?)
I wear an 11W shoe so bought bought these in 11.5.

Is the difficulty in my lacing, the toe box width ands/or do I need another half size up (12 Men's)?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jeff
I had the same problem with my Merrells.
I went up 1\2 a size and went to a wider fitting.
I then replaced the insoles with ones that gave me some arch support as well as comfort.
I also needed to learn how to tie my laces.

My boots are now the most comfy footware I own.
Some folks think we get a bit fussy about our feet & footware but when they see the blisters on a Camino they get it.
Regards
Gerard

Father Patrick Brophy is here at Peaceable, the first volunteer of this year's edition of Camino Chaplaincy Meseta Division. He's just finished the Via de la Plata, and his Merrel Moab Ventilator Mids caused him lacing troubles, then caused blisters on top his feet, then fell to pieces in a bad way about a third of the way into his trip. He's keeping them for evidence purposes, as he expects to get a full refund when he gets home to New Zealand.

I have never used Merrell shoes, but I can say they are the most-abandoned brand of boots the Ditch Pigs Camino Cleanup Crew finds along our stretch of Camino... Evidence gathered over seven years.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rebekah Scott , so what would you or he suggest as an alternative mid?

Father Patrick Brophy is here at Peaceable, the first volunteer of this year's edition of Camino Chaplaincy Meseta Division. He's just finished the Via de la Plata, and his Merrel Moab Ventilator Mids caused him lacing troubles, then caused blisters on top his feet, then fell to pieces in a bad way about a third of the way into his trip. He's keeping them for evidence purposes, as he expects to get a full refund when he gets home to New Zealand.

I have never used Merrell shoes, but I can say they are the most-abandoned brand of boots the Ditch Pigs Camino Cleanup Crew finds along our stretch of Camino... Evidence gathered over seven years.

Wore Merrell Moab Ventilators (shoes not mids) for CF's #1 and #3. Never had any problems with them and found them to be really sturdy and have good traction. Only thing I did was put aftermarket insoles in them.
Maybe try wearing only one sock...a thin one made for running. That's what I did.
133.JPG

an alternative mid?
Jeff, given your situation and what Reb says, perhaps another brand is in the offing?
It sounds like a width problem as much as a length one. I have very wide feet and find that the only brand that reliably fits is Keen. Worth a try. ..they're durable too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read somewhere that Merrell used to make better quality shoes until they were bought by Hush Puppie then the build quality diminished. I think you'll find that they were started as a small company by a couple of young California guys but things got big and they sold the company. I used to use Merrells but not any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altra makes a trail running shoe with a wide toe-box, I haven't worn them but my wife has a pair. One half to a full size bigger in most shoes will help with jamming toes on downhills. Sox and insoles will definitely change the fit. I would suggest bringing the shoes you bought back immediately, don't fool yourself if they already hurt.......... Ultreya.......... Willy/Utah/USA

Wearing new subject hiking boots around house the last two days. Silk liners and Marino wool socks.
Seem to be tight on the bridge (??) of each foot - the top portion behind big toe. Tried loosening the laces in that area a bit and it was some help, but still feel it.
Also, a bit smaller in the toe box width than I remember in the store (I can feel the little toe and its neighbor touching (rubbing?)

Is the difficulty in my lacing, the toe box width ands/or do I need another half size up (12 Men's)?

Try wearing just the liner socks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Different brands work well for different people.
We all seem to have different experiences with each brand and then post our good/bad opinion on that shoe. They are often complete opposites.

I have worn the Merrell Ventilator in July and August with good results and other Merrell models on other Caminos. Nothing like the problems posted above.

I wore Keens (again) in January of this year with the usual excellent results.
My wife, Ellie, has often had serious foot problems on the Camino but none at all this year with the Keens. Waterproofing was outstanding.

New Balance make some good trail runners for men, and that brand is known for wider toe boxes. I got a pair of them for my next Camino.

I have a 2E-4E wide foot and the Merrell wide fits nicely. Are you sure it is the non-gtx version? The gtx version is narrower I find.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi Jeff,

I had some Merrill Moab Ventilators about 3-4 years ago that I used for hiking here in Northern California over some trails there were probably much rockier than the Camino. Yes, smallish toebox, but I had the normal width and I understand they come in a wide size which would probably solve that problem. The thing I didn't like about them was that the sole was too flexible for my taste. I have had good luck with the similar looking Keen Voyager hiking shoes which tend to run wider than normal with ample footbox room. Much more support and beefier than the Ventilators. I don't know if they come in a wide size, but the normal width was wide enough for me. I normally go up 1/2 size in length for hiking, but not a full size. Even though they are not gore-Tex, they are surprisingly water resistant with a good amount of ventilation. I have the low cut ones but they come in mid also. Highly recommended if they fit you right, but of course fit is different for each person. They are available at REI AND on sale right now (as of 5-24-16). Here is a link. https://www.rei.com/product/764245/keen-voyageur-hiking-shoes-mens

Man, this boot/shoe thing is tough. I bought the Merrells based largely on positive reviews, but more so how they felt in store. Now, not so good wearing all day. Part of the problem was insufficient width for my feet (not really noticed in a 10 minute store walk. I wear an 11 and bought by these in 11.5.
Just ordered a pair of Keen Targhee, even though many reviews state they fell apart in short order. Ordered them in 11.5 also, but in wides. So we shall see how they feel for many days in house wearing.
Too bad there seems to be (like nearly everything) no boot/shoe that gets excellent marks in all areas. :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jeff,
Yes finding a proper fitting shoes can be frustrating, especially if you have a wider (square) foot. Have you actually measured your width? You say 11W. Is that E, EE 3E? Knowing the exact width would help narrow down the choices.
The other question is, when do you plan to walk (summer, fall).
Do you really need a boot? Have any issues? More and more people are switching to trail runners.

My regular, normal shoe size is 11E.
So, looking at shoes/boots in 11.5E

Looked at New Balance trail runners (seem to get good reviews here) today. But, in their models Leadville V3, 910V2 and 610V5 they only have widths in D and 2E in my 11.5 size. So, had to pass, I guessed.

Walking in Sept/Oct '17

The point with shoes/boots is that there isn't something like a perfectly good boot/shoe as it depends your feet and their shape. I am happy with Lowa Renegade, others hate them. Also for a Sept/Oct Camino you could consider trail runners or similar. No matter what size and how many good reviews, the only way to find your ideal shoes is going to a shop with plenty of selection and try them on. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just remember that there is no way to truly test any shoe/boot prior to walking the Camino. Nothing can duplicate actually walking 500 miles in them. Just choose wisely and hope for the best (and carry extra insoles and a couple of varieties of socks).
I have always just gone with my own little pass or fail. If I can walk a couple of 10k's in them here at home with no blisters, overly sore feet, knees etc and they feel good on me, then I can walk the Camino in them.

The point with shoes/boots is that there isn't something like a perfectly good boot/shoe as it depends your feet and their shape. I am happy with Lowa Renegade, others hate them. Also for a Sept/Oct Camino you could consider trail runners or similar. No matter what size and how many good reviews, the only way to find your ideal shoes is going to a shop with plenty of selection and try them on. Buen Camino, SY
Looking at trail runners presently. Think I need to make another 400 mile R/T to my nearest REI. Cabelas had a fair selection, but more to try at REI.

Just remember that there is no way to truly test any shoe/boot prior to walking the Camino. Nothing can duplicate actually walking 500 miles in them. Just choose wisely and hope for the best (and carry extra insoles and a couple of varieties of socks).
I have always just gone with my own little pass or fail. If I can walk a couple of 10k's in them here at home with no blisters, overly sore feet, knees etc and they feel good on me, then I can walk the Camino in them.

I am sure you are right, but I'd like to be "close."
Have lots of time, so will continue my quest to pass your 10K walks test.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My regular, normal shoe size is 11E.
So, looking at shoes/boots in 11.5E

Looked at New Balance trail runners (seem to get good reviews here) today. But, in their models Leadville V3, 910V2 and 610V5 they only have widths in D and 2E in my 11.5 size. So, had to pass, I guessed.

Walking in Sept/Oct '17
'E' is not that wide. I need a 2E at least. Secondly not all manufacturers share or conform to a consistent width. But, you should be able to find a shoe that fits you. Here are some suggestions:

Trail runners: Altra olympus 2.0, people are raving about its wider toe box, has vibram outsole..
Hoka one Mafate 4.0, wider toe box than other Hokas.
I just ordered these to try them out (memorial day sale 20% off at backcountry.com)
Lightweight boot: You have tried Merrell and Keen, Why not try Lowa renegade leather lined (no gtx), comes in wide. I have used this on two caminos with no issues whatsoever. It is a bit pricy but leather stretches and forms to your foot.

'E' is not that wide. I need a 2E at least. Secondly not all manufacturers share or conform to a consistent width. But, you should be able to find a shoe that fits you. Here are some suggestions:

Trail runners: Altra olympus 2.0, people are raving about its wider toe box, has vibram outsole..
Hoka one Mafate 4.0, wider toe box than other Hokas.
I just ordered these to try them out (memorial day sale 20% off at backcountry.com)
Lightweight boot: You have tried Merrell and Keen, Why not try Lowa renegade leather lined (no gtx), comes in wide. I have used this on two caminos with no issues whatsoever. It is a bit pricy but leather stretches and forms to your foot.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I shall look/try them!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Merrill makes this shoes in wide, give it a try but before you do, its this a gore-tex version? if it this you have more issues then I can discuss in a few lines, but if its not off to a good start then my question is why double socks? thin wool socks its plenty, loose the mid half and snug the heal using the loop under method, another problem it may be that is the wrong shoe for your feet. I just finished the camino del norte in one of those and I had similar issue after a long day of walk so was I constantly adjusting the laces for up and down hill great shoes.

zzotte

Merrill makes this shoes in wide, give it a try but before you do, its this a gore-tex version? if it this you have more issues then I can discuss in a few lines, but if its not off to a good start then my question is why double socks? thin wool socks its plenty, loose the mid half and snug the heal using the loop under method, another problem it may be that is the wrong shoe for your feet. I just finished the camino del norte in one of those and I had similar issue after a long day of walk so was I constantly adjusting the laces for up and down hill great shoes.

zzotte

No, not Gortex. Feeling better with the lacing changes. Also, trying a New Balance Leadville v3

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Man, this boot/shoe thing is tough. I bought the Merrells based largely on positive reviews, but more so how they felt in store. Now, not so good wearing all day. Part of the problem was insufficient width for my feet (not really noticed in a 10 minute store walk. I wear an 11 and bought by these in 11.5.
Just ordered a pair of Keen Targhee, even though many reviews state they fell apart in short order. Ordered them in 11.5 also, but in wides. So we shall see how they feel for many days in house wearing.
Too bad there seems to be (like nearly everything) no boot/shoe that gets excellent marks in all areas. :(

I wore Merrill Moab Ventilators in 2012, loved them, had no problems or blisters. Bought a new pair this year and have had so many foot issues! I have changed, I don't think it's the boots.

I now am using Hoka Challenger trail shoes, with the laces side laced in the middle to free up the high instep area with fair results but still am having all sorts of pain after several miles.
Just keep on trying until you get the right combo of shoes and socks. Good LUCK!

I used to buy cheap brands of boots and then save more getting them on clearance. I figured that wouldn't work on camino as I would have to live with any problems for a long time (if they lasted that long) or have trouble finding a new pair on the way.
In 2015 I bought a pair of Keens that I was happy with but a couple of months ago, for an upcoming 2019 camino, I brought a pair of Merrill Moab Ventilators. A quick review so far: Flexible soles but with a good grip. Today on steep granite slabs going up, down and sideways I never felt I was going to slip. With standard insoles you could probably feel some rocks but I had to replace the insoles anyway with something stiffer for my arches. I got them slightly wider than my feet so loosely laced they are comfortable but the tops are flexible enough that tied tighter they form around the foot to prevent slippage and thus blisters. So far I think that they will do well on camino as my only pair of footwear. I will bring an extra pair of insoles though to swap as needed.

[Edit: I added more to the review 2 posts down.]

Last edited:
I'm another advocate for MMV2. Walked over 2,000 Kms in varied terrain in all types of weather in Spain, Portugal and Mountains of Brazil. Blister free and I'm normally a size 10 but wearing 11 with two pairs of merino hiking socks, one light and one medium guage. The only issue for me is that the fabric in the heel suffered wear and tare after 1,000km but I decided to ignore. At first it had potential to cause rubbing but I persevered and it conformed to the shape of my ankle. Over 1,000 Kms later no issues and lace them up as received when opened the box. A formidable shoe and vibram sole outperforms most of the competition and brilliant value for money at £55 squid 🤠

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here are a few other things I should have mentioned in my review just above.
1) My first fitting at REI (a backpacker supplier) was surprising. I measured an 11.5. I've been 10.5 for over 50 years. I decided to take a long hike at the end of a day without the moabs to check the size again with a tracing on paper. I didn't need to trace. My foot was exactly on the edge of the standard sheet of paper. Again, a size 11.5. Once more at REI a size 11.5. The size 11.5 fit fine with plenty of toe room (and I have long toes).
2) I've been wearing them with my 10.5 insoles with arch support with no problem. No blisters from slipping and no slippage noticed.
3) The outter soles conform to the foot. That is to say there is extra width to them to help keep your feet from rolling. I have noticed this on occasion but it is not bothering ME. I have very flexible ankles. Someone else might have a problem with this, especially since the Moabs are a shoe, not a boot.
4) I have a later generation of the shoe that has differences from the first generation. Watch out for this in reviews. Most bad reviews of the new Moabs are comparing them to the older shoe and I can see their point, I think I would like the older version better myself, but the fact is that you can't buy the older version and the new version still gets good reviews.
5) Style. Mine are brown and don't look too colorful or exotic. More like old fashioned shoes. Because I expect fewer pilgrims on my camino and I hope more contact with the locals I like this as I won't stand out with funny looking feet.
6) I've only been wearing them with a single pair of wool socks, no tape or creams or anything. I've been using thin cheap pairs my wife picks up to thick Smartwool ones I like wearing around the house in winter. As the shoes are wider than my feet and can be cinched up there has been no problem with the socks. Plenty of room in the toes too.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back